Overheard in the gym - Share!

Am I the only person in the modern world that doesn't have something plugged into my ears constantly? 

Mine is usually a speaker in my garage, rather than headphones.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Am I the only person in the modern world that doesn't have something plugged into my ears constantly? 

I don't.   I actually just listen to whatever pop crap is playing in the gym when I'm there.  The bands I listed are played over speakers when I do a home workout or something.  

Red, We As Human, Demon Hunter :)

Oh, Demon Hunter.  Good call.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I've been exercising in silence lately. The other day, though, my husband was trying to fix a plumbing issue in the basement while I was working out so my daughter went down too. The soundtrack to my workout was a mixture of "can you hear any water flowing above your head?" and "Can I buy an R, Pat?" (daughter is a big Wheel of Fortune fan.)

Also I see your goal this year is to start liking squats...

Good luck.

Ha. I had a ton of problems with squats last year, resulting in me having anxiety issues every day I had to do them. To get past it I've been squatting a more often this year (3-4 times a week) and doing other types of squats instead of back squats. Front squats are my main squat right now and then I do Zerchers and goblets for higher reps. So far my do-it-to-get-over-it plan is working well.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

This is definitely not the thread for it, but I used to get a little depressed when I would commute by public transportation in NY and Philly and see all these people right next to each other, but yet so, so far apart.

Back to the gym and less of the feelz...I usually don't ever work out with music anymore, but when I did it was usually classical music or a score from a movie.

Funny story about stereoptyping - I was driving one winter in Philly.  It's cold so I have a big jacket on, black hoodie, and I'm wearing my do-rag, I'm bobbing my head up and down to the music.  And I pull up to a stop light and this older white woman is mean mugging me the whole light and stares at me with a bit of disgust, I *assume* she was thinking "ugh another black guy listening to that gangster rap", I let the window down and you can hear some Bach concerto in the car and I tell her to have a great day.

• Like 10

For the longest time I didn't wear headphones at the gym.  Then my parent's got me bluetooth headphones.  And roughly around the same time, my gym started pumping their pop crap music loudly.  Previously the music had been kept off since I lifted early in the morning, so all I heard were people murmurs and clanging weights.  So I decided that my music on headphones was a better idea than crappy pop music.

But mostly, I don't like wearing headphones.  The loss of one of my senses is something that freaks me out a lot, and I feel vunerable.  So I save the headphones for the gym while I focus, when I'm at home and trying to hide from humanity, and at work and trying to focus/hide from humanity. 

• Like 2

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

*forehead slap & shake head in shame* I weep on behalf of music lovers everywhere if LIG & PIT-USA are considered good/fun/motivating workout music...particularly by men.  Metallica, anyone?  Guns & Roses?  Black Sabboth?  No, just me?

Pantera is on the "light rock" side of what I listen too.

All of the above.  Plus: All That Remains; In This Moment; Killswitch Engage; In Flames; Led Zeppelin; Deep Purple; Halestorm; and pretty much anything with double-bass drumming.  

I challenge anyone to follow the double-bass during their workout.  Depending on the band, you might die by the second song.   :D

I just want to say this.  Metallica's One is like a 8 minute sex experience.  

Yes.

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Front squats are my main squat right now and then I do Zerchers and goblets for higher reps. So far my do-it-to-get-over-it plan is working well.

I never liked the look of front squats, they seem like they've gotta be pretty hard on the wrists.

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

Funny story about stereoptyping - I was driving one winter in Philly.  It's cold so I have a big jacket on, black hoodie, and I'm wearing my do-rag, I'm bobbing my head up and down to the music.  And I pull up to a stop light and this older white woman is mean mugging me the whole light and stares at me with a bit of disgust, I *assume* she was thinking "ugh another black guy listening to that gangster rap", I let the window down and you can hear some Bach concerto in the car and I tell her to have a great day.

She knew you weren't listening to the rap cause her windows weren't shaking.  I think you left your .45 on the dash again  :playful:

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

I never liked the look of front squats, they seem like they've gotta be pretty hard on the wrists.

That's why they invented bodybuilder style:

Arnold-Front-Squat.jpg

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

She knew you weren't listening to the rap cause her windows weren't shaking.  I think you left your .45 on the dash again  :playful:

And the fact that I threw up some gang signs as I pulled up to the light.  Come on dude, let's not let facts and details ruin the point of my story.

• Like 1

Eh, I always felt so uneasy doing front squats that way. I use a regular clean grip for the front rack now, but I use wrist wraps too, so it's not so bad.

Also, isn't wrist pain a sign that you are trying to hold the weight with your hands instead on the delts taking most of the weight?

Arnold-Front-Squat.jpg

Ah yes of course. Still, unless I can't progress on back squats I don't think I'll complicate things by including front squats, hold off as long as I can.

Eh, I always felt so uneasy doing front squats that way. I use a regular clean grip for the front rack now, but I use wrist wraps too, so it's not so bad.

Also, isn't wrist pain a sign that you are trying to hold the weight with your hands instead on the delts taking most of the weight?

I've never tried front squats so I wouldn't know, I'm just going by what I've seen, I suppose if the hands are just used to stabilise the bar it would make sense.

And the fact that I threw up some gang signs as I pulled up to the light.  Come on dude, let's not let facts and details ruin the point of my story.

:applouse:  My coworkers are looking at me weird for laughing.  

• Like 1

Wheymen

Saw a dude squatting 100kg at the gym the other day, he'd been doing all the warm ups, stretching the legs...checking his abs in the mirror... Damn he looked good

Then did quarters

This reminds me, saw a curtsey squat yesterday at the gym. Guy had the bar ready to go and was in his rest period when I walked in. Saw the bar, saw the 2 plates, and was mildly impressed (I'm getting ready to hit 2 plates soon), asked him how long he had left and he replied "One more set" so I went and started my warm-up.

He get's under the bar, lifts it up, steps back, and curtseys, he MIGHT have made it to 45 degrees...

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

But mostly, I don't like wearing headphones.  The loss of one of my senses is something that freaks me out a lot, and I feel vunerable.  So I save the headphones for the gym while I focus, when I'm at home and trying to hide from humanity, and at work and trying to focus/hide from humanity. 

This is the major reason I've been looking for single-ear bluetooth headphones.  They're surprisingly hard to find.  

I just want to say this.  Metallica's One is like a 8 minute sex experience.  

Not exactly the description I'd have used, but you're not wrong!  Damn good song. 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

This is the major reason I've been looking for single-ear bluetooth headphones.  They're surprisingly hard to find.  

Honestly the ones I use are the Backbeat Fit and I tend to just pull one ear out.  The things are hefty enough that they stay put without being a nuisance.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Not exactly the description I'd have used, but you're not wrong!  Damn good song. 

Listen to it again, but this time, think a little foreplay, then add a little groping, then back to foreplay as the clothes come off, then start into the main course, then hot and heavy to finish with a breathless euphoria.  

Maybe I just need to get laid...  

• Like 3

Wheymen

Arnold-Front-Squat.jpg

Yep, that's what I do. I try rack position every once in a while but it's uncomfortable and not a high priority for me.

As far as back vs front squats, front squats fit my body better. I am leggy/gangly and pretty much a mess with back squats. I had worked up to holding 25 pound dumbbells on each shoulder before switching to the barbell last year. I had to revert back to 30 pounds total (using a lighter bar obvs) to start. Then it took me 3 months to get up to 60 pounds and even those turrible, just turrible.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Honestly the ones I use are the Backbeat Fit and I tend to just pull one ear out.  The things are hefty enough that they stay put without being a nuisance.

Nice!!  Those are really good.  $130 is a bit rich for me at the moment, but I'll definitely be keeping them in mind.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Listen to it again, but this time, think a little foreplay, then add a little groping, then back to foreplay as the clothes come off, then start into the main course, then hot and heavy to finish with a breathless euphoria.  

Maybe I just need to get laid...

I think I need a smoke now. ...

• Like 3

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)