Overheard in the gym - Share!

dear god.

So- I'm on the stepper today- sweating out my pain... and I saw the training sales guy- close by getting ready to do some machine hammy curls. fine whatever.

So I was like SAM.. come do this for me- I don't want to play anymore. 

and he goes- yeah no I don't do cardio- and I was like yeah me neither- which is why I'm dying. 

and he goes- yeah well gotta get those long lean legs.  

>_>  what.  long lean legs come from steppers?  that's something new.  Facepalm. seriously- facepalm

• Like 1
Guest Dirty Deads

5 am this morning and this guy is doing bench, then he decides to do pretty much the rest of his workout on the bench, including yates rows and deadlifts at the foot of the bench. Our gym only has 2 benches. He was there for over an hour. Now to confess, that asshole was me.  I will say, during those 3-5 minutes between sets, I enjoyed a good laugh at this guy curling 20 lbs.'ers  using a lot of momentum.

Some guys last night moved a bench into the squat rack. Fair enough, I sometimes Bench in there.

They then moved the bar out of the rack (which was kinda good as I could use the bar for deads) and started pressing dumbells. In the squat rack...head up the open end.... On the only Monday I have ever seen the flat bench press free. Can someone please explain why they'd take up a rack like that? DOES NOT COMPUTE!

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

Guest Dirty Deads

Some guys last night moved a bench into the squat rack. Fair enough, I sometimes Bench in there.

They then moved the bar out of the rack (which was kinda good as I could use the bar for deads) and started pressing dumbells. In the squat rack...head up the open end.... On the only Monday I have ever seen the flat bench press free. Can someone please explain why they'd take up a rack like that? DOES NOT COMPUTE!

Wow...idk what to say there. I will bench in there for partials to work through my sticking point, but w/dumbbells? ...wow.

I think they do it in order to camp that area out as their own sometimes in really busy gyms especially people will take all of the equipment they need and move it to an area they have "claimed" and just use it there so that others cant take it. 

Level 5 Idiot Assassin 

STR: 22   DEX: 11  STA: 14  CON: 10  WIS: 0  CHA: 14

I think they do it in order to camp that area out as their own sometimes in really busy gyms especially people will take all of the equipment they need and move it to an area they have "claimed" and just use it there so that others cant take it. 

Nope. They moved in as the guy before left and then moved out once the three of them had done their dumbell presses. The only thing I can think is they were trying to impress their female friend who I think is new to the gym from the questions she asks and the lack of work they all do. It properly messed up the gym rhythm.

I also seem to be talking to myself. Mumbling round the gym looking at people like that and growling "FOCUS!" I should point out it's to myself in a "Even if this is a rest I should be focussing either on spotting, breathingm stretching or my next set not those eejits"  type way. However it must look weird to anyone that overhears.

• Like 1

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

Maybe not overheard, but...

As part of a new gym membership they had me talk with a trainer. She had some pretty great nutrition advice, etc., until...

8.-Bosu-Ball-Squat-10.10.jpg

She recommended I do this. With weight. On the other side of the ball. And she was wiggling around just trying to balance herself to demonstrate. Pass.

.redline  |  Level 2 Warrior

STR 8  |  DEX 3  |  STA 3  |  CON 3  |  WIS 5  |  CHA 1

First Challenge  |  July 29

Second Challenge  |  February 24

Third Challenge  |   April 14

I was doing assisted pull ups on a machine yesterday.  I started sobbing and cursing myself halfway through (the sign of a good workout), this guy on a inner thigh press next to me said that I should consider doing low weights for high reps to make it easier. I launch into an explanation of slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibers and how real strength comes from lifting heavy.  He proceeded to tell me that his information came from marine recruiters like it would carry more authority coming from them.  I launched into another explanation of how the military wants its people to build pain tolerance and muscle endurance; as a martial artist, I prefer to employ short bursts of strength that when applied correctly against my opponent end a threat quickly. 

He backed off really fast after that. I think I might have overwhelmed the poor guy.

• Like 3

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Str- 18, Dex-12, Sta-10, Con-23, Wis-88, Cha-47

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We Shall Not Practice Fear"

Current Battlelog

The new glute-ham raise machine is not intuitive: everyone has had to be shown by someone else.  Today the apostolic succession was mine to bestow: 

Random gym dude, doing hypers on the machine: "I don't think I'm using this right."

Me: "You gotta kind of scrape with your feet, grip against the plate."  [demonstrates]

Random gym dude: "Argh wargle harg whimper marf."

:)

• Like 1

The new glute-ham raise machine is not intuitive: everyone has had to be shown by someone else.

Almost everyone at my gym thinks the glute ham raise is a situp contraption....*rolling my eyes

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sobbing isn't a sign of a good work out.

cursing ?  yeah- i could get on board- but sobbing? no. i think you need to re-evaluate there.

sobbing may have been the wrong word to use.  it's more of a haggard, whiney, I-don't-want-to-do -this. type of thing. it's a good thing

• Like 1

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Str- 18, Dex-12, Sta-10, Con-23, Wis-88, Cha-47

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We Shall Not Practice Fear"

Current Battlelog

baw ha ha ha haha

totally not the answer I was expecting on that one.

yeah- that's some funny shit right there. I swore a lot today- i almost cried- But I failed a lot of my lifts- and I have a keebler elf or something doing the whirling dirvish tap dance stomp routine in my head- all day- through my lifts. 

Fucking awful. I was annoyed- there was swearing and some pacing to ward off the irrational tears.  I lifted my next lift.  Fuck that elf. 

• Like 1