Overheard in the gym - Share!

a life without squats is no life at all.

There are some people that just can't squat though; people that have balance disabilities will not be able to easily do squats, so other forms of exercise might be better.  I forgot the name of this disability, but there was someone who came on here for advice on helping his girlfriend, who had this disability, to find alternatives to squats and generally help figure out an exercise routine.

There are also people who can't do squats because they don't have all the limbs for it...  (No legs)...

I, for one, love squats, but there are people that dread it and can live without it.  If it's not their favorite way of exercising, we shouldn't force them.

<p>Gwenhwyfar, level 0 Wild elf adventurerSTR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

I guess we're all agreed: The Weight Room in NO PLACE for an Endurance Athlete [at least; you'd rather not see us skinny fucks in your Area]

don't be daft, EVERYONE can gain by getting stronger, you get two identical athletes, say... marathon runners, that have exactly the same everything, make one stronger without changing any other variables then that's the one to bet on

I know that there's a reason why Runners should do squats, but the Surfer in me can't remember shit
A bigger engine makes the car go faster at the same RPMs. In other words, it makes your cruising speed higher, you go faster with the same perceived effort. Or that's what I gather from the ultra marathoners that squat.

Edit: Worked for me. As long as I train for a few weeks to get the cardio endurance back, my 5k times times are faster than before I squatted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Probably ...

but I've never been injured for lack thereof

Squats would probably help in a Sprint situation = through a little more beef into the powerhouse; but that would only come into play in the last 10th mile of a Half Marathon or so. Maybe muscling up a climb on my bike?

I guess we're all agreed: The Weight Room in NO PLACE for an Endurance Athlete [at least; you'd rather not see us skinny fucks in your Area]

I developed IT band syndrome training for then it got worse running in a half marathon.  Physical therapist strongly recommended heavy back squats and front squats as well as doing some higher-rep assistance work for stabilizing muscles.  

And that last line: what?  What?  I hope nobody in these forums has led you to think we feel that way.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

I developed IT band syndrome training for then it got worse running in a half marathon.  Physical therapist strongly recommended heavy back squats and front squats as well as doing some higher-rep assistance work for stabilizing muscles.  

And that last line: what?  What?  I hope nobody in these forums has led you to think we feel that way.

This. I love when the skinny ones come into my area. They're the ones that usually impress the most at some point.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I've never heard of anyone recommending an Endurance athlete not do SOME form of strength training.

We even did it with our horses.. and they were 50-100 mile a day athletes. 

How do you strength train a horse?  And how do you get 50-100 miles a day in with a horse, everyday?  even at 20MPH, that's 2.5-5 hours of running.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

dragging tires?

moving logs?

we tail them (we get off and run... training we do this UP hill- gets us sprint workouts and the horse weighted work outs for competitions we do it down hill.  This is where you let the horse lead and you grab the tail and let them kind of pull you along.  Crazy mad sprints if you do it at the right time- it's like the reverse of a wind parachute- you run faster because you have to

there is a picture on page 4 of what I'm talking about- it's harder than i thought to find LOL

almost anything you can do with a person you can do with a horse- distance- sprints- glute work- 'ab' work' mobility work- strength- hill- distance. all of it- they are not just horses- they are true athletes and you have to train them. 

50-100 is the race.  We typically train 6-10 miles during the week and go for longer distances on the weekends- 12-15 miles- sometimes Saturday and sunday- depending on where we are in the training matrix.  Hundred milers or multi days (several 50 day events back to back- usually 4-6 days) they would actually do a long LONG distance- of 30-40 miles with proper prepped water stops or twenty in the morning- then twenty back home.

And yes- it's an all day event. A 50 miler can be completed in something like 3-4 hours- but 5-6 is more normal. 100 miles are a 10-15- sometimes 30 hour process- it takes it's toll on the rider as well as the horse- a lot of horses could finish and the rider can't.  it's one of the utmost in true horsemanship as far as competitions go- there is no bullshitting your way through it- you have to be VERY attentive to your horse.   VERY attentive.  shit happens- horses die.  people get hurt- it's not something to play around wtih- but it's an amazing sport- I've watched events that literally made me cry.  watching a horse give everything it had because it was asked- watching a horse carry a rider who was barely conscious.  it's really an amazing sport- shows a lot of determination and grit to do and succeed.  

• Like 1

I quit my gym a few months ago (couldn't afford roller derby membership and Gym, and couldnt fit gym in alongside derby anyway)

But my lasting memory of things heard at the gym were:

A Curlbro curling...12-14kg? Not much more (I curl about that and I am have horrendous arm tone) and letting out a "woooooeaahhhh" and exhalation noise whenever he curled. for about twenty minutes of reps.

and my favourite was a guy who spent ages loading what looked to me like a very heavy squatlift on a rack, takes it, goes down, on first lift, lets out an enormous wet fart at a particularly quiet moment in the gym. Blushes bright red, puts the bar back on the rest and heads to the changing rooms, leaving  his weights on the bar. Many shared stares of amusement occured :)

Level 3 Roller Knight

STR:3 DEX: 1 STA:2 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA: 2

Current Challenge: None

Told by the gym attendant yesterday when I was squatting heavy but not my one rep max

"I wouldn't do so much weight or go so low (atg) you might blow you're as s out"

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

dragging tires?

moving logs?

we tail them (we get off and run... training we do this UP hill- gets us sprint workouts and the horse weighted work outs for competitions we do it down hill.  This is where you let the horse lead and you grab the tail and let them kind of pull you along.  Crazy mad sprints if you do it at the right time- it's like the reverse of a wind parachute- you run faster because you have to

there is a picture on page 4 of what I'm talking about- it's harder than i thought to find LOL

almost anything you can do with a person you can do with a horse- distance- sprints- glute work- 'ab' work' mobility work- strength- hill- distance. all of it- they are not just horses- they are true athletes and you have to train them. 

50-100 is the race.  We typically train 6-10 miles during the week and go for longer distances on the weekends- 12-15 miles- sometimes Saturday and sunday- depending on where we are in the training matrix.  Hundred milers or multi days (several 50 day events back to back- usually 4-6 days) they would actually do a long LONG distance- of 30-40 miles with proper prepped water stops or twenty in the morning- then twenty back home.

And yes- it's an all day event. A 50 miler can be completed in something like 3-4 hours- but 5-6 is more normal. 100 miles are a 10-15- sometimes 30 hour process- it takes it's toll on the rider as well as the horse- a lot of horses could finish and the rider can't.  it's one of the utmost in true horsemanship as far as competitions go- there is no bullshitting your way through it- you have to be VERY attentive to your horse.   VERY attentive.  shit happens- horses die.  people get hurt- it's not something to play around wtih- but it's an amazing sport- I've watched events that literally made me cry.  watching a horse give everything it had because it was asked- watching a horse carry a rider who was barely conscious.  it's really an amazing sport- shows a lot of determination and grit to do and succeed.  

That's really cool.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I don't go to the gym because I'm a cheap ass, but I do referee women's hockey at the local rink, and there is a gym on the second floor behind one of the nets with big windows that overlook the ice.  The number of dudebuds that I see standing in front of that window ripping off curls while I'm reffing is hilarious.  There are about 2-3 times as many up there, curling in front of the windows as when the men play their games on the same ice.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

and my favourite was a guy who spent ages loading what looked to me like a very heavy squatlift on a rack, takes it, goes down, on first lift, lets out an enormous wet fart at a particularly quiet moment in the gym. Blushes bright red, puts the bar back on the rest and heads to the changing rooms, leaving  his weights on the bar. Many shared stares of amusement occured :)

"Shit" happens during heavy squats sometimes. It's why I try not to eat within 4 hours of squatting and try to have coffee to move things along 2 hours or so before doing so. It's happened to me a few times, luckily in the privacy of my own home and garage. You'd be amazed at the squeezing forces of your torso needed during truly heavy weight squats, which are also the same muscles that cause "shit" to happen when it is supposed to.

500 / 330 / 625

"Shit" happens during heavy squats sometimes. It's why I try not to eat within 4 hours of squatting and try to have coffee to move things along 2 hours or so before doing so. It's happened to me a few times, luckily in the privacy of my own home and garage. You'd be amazed at the squeezing forces of your torso needed during truly heavy weight squats, which are also the same muscles that cause "shit" to happen when it is supposed to.

yeah- EVERYTHING gets to work on squats.

I've had a moment at the bottom where I can feel the pressure and all I can think about is- man if I blow ye old O ring... I'm going to be in BIG trouble- I am a fitted capris and cammando type worker- outer.. it would be a HUGE mess.  

Heard this today:  "Dude, if you're not isolating, you're wasting your time."

Better Living through Reckless* Experimentation

*But well documented