• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FillAwful

Inclined Dumbell Press Failure (suggestions?)

Hello Nerds!  Novice weightlifter here. I have a question about what is failing me on my inclined dumbbell press. I think one of the most frustrating things about beginning weight lifting is the inadequacies of certain muscles get in the way of my stronger muscles. I know this takes time, but some knowledge will help too. That is why I'm here.

Simply put, I cannot get the dumbbell's over my head into starting position prior to the first rep. I am using 50Lbs. dumbbells. Once over my head (with assistance) I can press the dumbbells for 6 reps.

What muscles are failing here?

Should I reduce the weight of the dumbbells to a weight that I can get over my head? Even though when I am pressing it feels light?

Is there another lift that can help me improve the muscles that are failing?  Thanks for your input everyone.

So you're on an inclined bench?  When you bring the dumbbells up, do you curl them up and then pivot  your elbow out?  Overhand curl them straight to position?  Do you get the dumbbell to your shoulder and then not into position?  Or is it difficult to get them to the shoulder? 

Have you tried standing, getting the dumbbells up into position, and then sitting down on the bench?

Correct, I'm on an inclined bench. I am already sitting when I bring the dumbbells up. I hammer curl them up and then pivot my elbow out so the dumbbells are in line with my shoulder, my elbows by my side. It is at this point that I cannot press them up over my head.

I will try standing and getting them into position to see if that helps.

So your range of motion for the exercise isn't from shoulder to lock out but from some point over your head to lock out?  That sounds like a partial yep.  I do my shoulder presses from on my shoulder next to my ear.  Maybe back the weight down and work from the shoulder for half your sets?

Yep, I think you're right. I don't think I'm bringing the weights down far enough. Seems like I just got ahead of myself. I'll back the weight down and press from my ear and progress from there. Thanks for the suggestions. I don't always have someone at the gym to say "Hey, you're not doing it right."

• Like 1