Fortuositea's Battle Log

OK, so. This is my first battle log. I'm Sarah, formerly AgentSpiderMonkey. I'm embracing my new normal. 

I'm starting up a battle log to help myself respawn - long story short, I had a miscarriage, stopped running, started eating crap, gained a bunch of weight... ready to start taking care of myself better. I just needed a space to track daily habits I'm trying to create.

Walk each day: I will track distance when possible. I'm not sure I want to go back to running... it was a lot of work for very little reward, and I have a lot of ground to make up. Suggestions on how to make cardio count are welcome. 

Strength workout each day: quick bodyweight workout, just something! Something's got to be better than nothing at this point.

Nutrition: Aiming to cut out soda - starting with Wednesdays only (Water Wednesday!) Also attempting to get my husband to work with me and cook healthier meals. 

8/9/16

Walk: Planning to walk after work.

Strength: I did as many pushups as I could muster in one minute. 23 pushups, against my desk at work. I think... no, I know my form was bad. Maybe I should go back to wall pushups until my form improves. 

Food: Water mixed with a little lemonade this AM and soda with lunch. watermelon for breakfast, I have soup for lunch;  it's one of those Campbell's microwaveable soups, chicken pot pie. I don't really eat much while I'm at work and I wind up going home hungry and making bad decisions, so I think this is better than nothing. Would it be healthier to make my own soup? This is just so easy, grab and go. I hate pre-packing lunches, stuff usually goes to waste in containers in my fridge. That's probably my own fault, I lack stick-to-it-iveness. Dinner tonight... I'm not actually sure what I have in my freezer right now. Husband confirms that we have chicken patties in freezer. Humph. OK, I have green peppers in the fridge and chicken patties in the freezer.... faux fajitas? I feel like this isn't going to taste very good. 

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

8/9/16 Part 2

Walk: Right after work, I went to a park across the river in PA to walk (lots of Pokestops, very few Pokemon. Oh well, that's Pokemon Go in the country for you.) I'm not sure exactly how far I walked. At 7 PM, my husband's work-out alarm goes off and he says, "Ready to go for a walk?" so I put my sneakers back on and went to a different part of the same park, where I found like a Pokemon every tenth of a mile. So TWO walks in one day! Not bad!

Strength: Just the push-ups.

Nutrition: Dinner was chicken patties and green peppers. I sauteed the peppers in a little oil, added garlic powder, salt, pepper. The peppers needed more flavor (I had to use garlic powder instead of garlic, so I probably didn't go heavy enough with it), but on the whole, it was a really good dinner. 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Cutting out soda is not as easy as I thought. My willpower is not as strong as it needs to be for this. I have brought a water and soda with me to work. After this ONE soda, no more today. Come on, Sarah, it's only one day. Also struggling again with quitting smoking. The first time I quit, it was because I was ready, I knew it was time, and I just quit, cold turkey. This is a lot different... I think I tricked myself into thinking, well, I quit cold turkey once, I can do it anytime. I find myself saying, "one more pack and that's it" and I totally believe it. Then I get to the end of the pack and I tell myself, OK, That's it, LAST ONE. and a few hours later I'm thinking "one more pack and that's it." I know it just takes a ridiculous amount of willpower and stubbornness (my husband will agree, I certainly have enough stubbornness.) I just have to be willing to change. I think I still don't like myself enough to care about me, to want to take care of myself. BAH! Depression, go away. Please. I have stuff to do. 

8/10/16, Wednesday

Walk: It was very muggy out so I opted to not walk today. I added extra steps around the house to try to make up for it. Next time, I should jump on the treadmill if it's too icky outside. 

Strength: Desk pushups at work, and a quick bodyweight workout before I went to bed. Squats, pushups, door frame rows. It doesn't really feel like much, I'm hoping it's enough to be a good start. 

Nutrition: Yogurt for breakfast (and a Reese's peanut butter cup... only one!) Lunch: Chicken patties. I drank one soda today - and lots of water. YES! Lots of water. Probably 25 oz at work and another 6 at home (mixed with some lemonade for flavor.) Dinner: Burgers on the grill. Not bad, I wish I'd had some tomato/ peppers to throw on there. All in all, I ate three meals, minor snacks (the Reese's and half a Twix bar after work), increased water, and didn't sit on my butt all night. 

Feeling pretty good about it. 

August 11 - 14, 2016

My husband and I drove down to Virginia Beach for the weekend, and for the most part, I think I stuck to my plans pretty well.

Walk: Walked at the hotel, walked while taking tours. Not as much as I would have liked, but OMG IT WAS SO FREAKING HOT. Like, melt your face off hot. Glasses fogged up every time I went outside. Had lots of opportunities to walk but husband didn't want to stop and get out of the car: "Too many people, too hot, too tired, just want to get home". I tried to express how important this is to me, I want to spend more time outside and off my butt, I don't want to let excuses get in my way. But when he's literally driving the car... 7/10 for working around circumstances out of my control. 

Strength: Didn't really excel in this area. We swam for a little bit so I tried to make the most of that, but there were so many other things I could have done and I honestly didn't think to take advantage of them. FAIL. 1/10

Nutrition: Not bad, I mean, we were on vacation, so yeah, I had some treats. I made sure to drink water with every meal. When we went out to eat, I tried to pick healthier things than I normally would have gone with - omelet with veggies, chicken caesar salad. I didn't snack as much as I would have. I feel really good about my choices. 9/10!

17/30 for the weekend. 

Goals for this week:

1. Taper off the smoking

2. Focus on the NF body weight workouts. I dig them, it's nice not wasting my time doing "research" and just getting right to a workout

3. Water EVERY DAY

4. Walk with husband after work each day

5. Dinners: Protein & Veggies

6. 100 Pushups every day

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday (Aug 15, 16, 17)

1. Taper off the smoking... yeah, that's not working so much. I tried to taper but I effing hate it. It's either all or nothing. I know I can quit cold turkey because I am just that damn stubborn, but I have to be willing to work for it and I'm just not ready for it. 

2. Body weight workout? What body weight workout? It has been so hot that just walking is whupping my butt (I've also thrown in a bit of jogging.) I've been doing a lot of stuff around the house (in my effort to cut down on smoking, and also, I'm doing a lot of prep work for a baby shower I'm throwing for my sister-in-law) so I'm trying to throw in whatever workouts I can.

3. Water EVERY DAY - YES! Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday, I have had water every day. On Wednesday, I didn't have soda at all. I had iced tea and water mixed with lemonade. 

4. Walk every day: Yep! Monday was SO brutal. I needed to walk 2 KM to hatch a Pokemon egg, but apparently, Pokemon Go isn't quite so accurate - a step counter on my phone confirmed I'd actually walked 1.94 miles. Well, damn. Tuesday: I took a freaking nap. I walked/ jogged .56 miles on the treadmill when I woke up. I was sweating my #$% off even after I hopped off the treadmill. Wednesday: Walked around a lovely town with my husband. Not sure how far we walked, but we bought 3 lbs of Jelly Belly jelly beans.... for SIL's baby shower! Now I have to count them all... Anyway, the walk was very nice until some [expletive deleted] jerks yelled homophobic remarks at us from their Jeep while we walked back to the car... First off, dudes. You're yelling at a heterosexual couple. WHY. Second, and more importantly: Just don't. It's so not ok. I don't even know how to express how disrespectful, disparaging, intolerant, backwards.... UGH. 

5. 2/3 Dinners have been protein & veggies. OK, not bad. Definitely better than usual. I'll take it!

6. I'm working my way up to 100 pushups - I'm doing wall pushups and pushups against my desk. I did 10 Monday, 20 Tuesday, aiming for 30-40 today. 

Walk: 10/10

Strength: 4/10 

Nutrition: 8/10