Underpants Gnome of the Month Submitting my letter of Resignation

Hey Fellow Rebels,

My introduction has two parts, the first is to say hi, and the second is to publicly state that I am no longer going to be an underpants gnome. There. I said it.  I have a really bad habit of looking up information about what I want to do and when I find it, instead of trying it, I keep looking just in case there is something better. Or I try if for a little while, but I keep looking for something better, which leads me to an article that tells me that what I am doing isn't the best, and I should be doing the opposite of what I am. So, confused, I keep looking. It really is a vicious cycle. Presently, I am a recovering perfectionist, and I think that has been a major source of my problem. Thanks to Nerd Fitness, I have finally been convinced that there is no perfect way to get from level 1 to level 50 because level 50 is different for everyone. There is only the path that you will actually follow, because without taking any steps, there is no progress. 

I have been lurking around Nerd Fitness for.... well, let's just say that it has been a long time. Within the last month, however, I finally took some real steps. I joined the academy and bought Steve's book (which is awesome. If you haven't bought it, do it!). I have been doing a pretty good job with cleaning up my diet, and I am dragging my kids along for the ride. I have also started working out using the provided workout from the academy. I have found that I should have time to fit in three workouts a week. I have gotten this far before, but it doesn't usually last long. I think that my main problem is that I lack accountability. This time around, I am really trying to focus on creating this. So if anybody wants to be a buddy for me, I am all for it. And I am more than happy to return the favor. 

I am a full-time mechanical engineering student, a full-time mom, and I work part-time. So the schedule can get a bit hectic. Right now, I am skinny fat and unhappy with how I look and feel. I am trying really hard to make sure that getting healthy is a priority, but I am afraid that once classes start again (in a week), I am going to start pushing it to the back burner (and start drinking copious amounts of coffee and not sleeping). If anyone has any advice about how you prevent yourself from doing this, please share. I appreciate any feedback. You would think that will all of the underpants I have collected, I would have this figured out. Thanks for witnessing my escape from the gnomes.

Happy Questing! 

• Like 2

Welcome aboard! Congratulations on your resignation from Underpants Collection Multimedia Conglomerate, Inc.

For accountability, you can't beat the 4-week challenges. A new one will be starting soon so you are just in time. Given your schedule, maybe a goal for bedtime might be in order? :)

There is also a section called Accountabilibuddies where you can pair up with someone or a group of someones. I haven't tried them but a lot of people swear by them too.

Good luck on your journey!

• Like 1

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

Well done on escaping gnome-dome. Well done on fitting in three workouts a week around that schedule too, that's a pretty serious achievement in itself.

I'll second @Bookish Badger that the challenges are really helpful. I'm just completing my first, and have found it a really positive experience. If making yourself accountable is important for you, the Battle Logs might be helpful too - I am currently doing one of each and finding both helpful in different ways.

Good luck levelling up!

• Like 1

Level 2 Warlock

Battle Log | First Challenge | Current Challenge