Daily Dares PVP - August 14 to September 17

Hi All!  

Round 5 of our PVP using the Daily Dares at Darebee.com has begun!

All are welcome.  Every day, they post a bodyweight exercise challenge no equipment needed, every day.  Sometimes they're easy, sometimes they're not.

Every day there are two levels of difficulty.  1)  just get it done, over the course of the day, and 2) Extra Credit (EC,) which usually means all in one shot.  

Either do one or the other.  You get either 1 or 2 points per day, no more.

Miss the day (in your time zone) and you miss the points.  Need a variation?  Not a problem, but no points for you.

This is an open PVP, so anyone can join at any time. It's a great way to try out a bunch of different bodyweight exercises, and after 2 times through, I've personally found a bunch of new exercises based on what's been really hard.

If you decide to join, declare what rank you're aiming for and sign up on this spreadsheet. Then, just keep track of how many dares you complete throughout the challenge.

If you're not sure about what counts for the dare or extra credit, post here and we'll rule by what seems to make sense to the most of us. Some days you might not be able to do an exercise, and that's ok!  

The person with the most points at the end of the challenge will be declared the Daredevil! (other titles are available, inquire within.)

After winning 3 times in a row, I'm going to bow out of the competition, and simply take on the title of Ring Master.  If you have any questions about form or what counts, feel free to ask.

Leaderboard

Round 4:  Rocketbikeninja (62 points)

Round 3 (Tie):  Rocketbikeninja and mom2sjm (64 points) 

Round 2:  Rocketbikeninja (67 points) - May 2016 Challenge

Round 1:  Geek On Fire (53 points) - April 2016 Challenge

Ranks

Titanium: 60 points (30 days of dares + 30 days of extra credit)

Gold: 45 points 

Silver: 30 points 

Bronze: 15 points

Custom: A custom goal of your choice. Just make sure to state your specific target in the spreadsheet.  

We're starting the PVP in Week 0, but you should be able to achieve all but the highest of these ranks even if you don't join us until Week 1. 

Current Big Fat Hairy Goals:  Hip to Waist Ratio down to 88%.  Capable of 50 pushups, 100 situps, 20 pull-ups in one massive superset.  Able to do a bodyweight bench press.  Run 10K 1/week for 1 month.  Earn 2nd Degree Black Belt.

Why?  Because I want to model the kind of health and strength that I want my girls to have when they grow up.

Introduction / Battle Log / Current Challenge

Previous Challenges:  1

Note:  I think Up and Forwards stretches has the wrong date on it - that should be the August 13th dare.  Great butt workout!

Current Big Fat Hairy Goals:  Hip to Waist Ratio down to 88%.  Capable of 50 pushups, 100 situps, 20 pull-ups in one massive superset.  Able to do a bodyweight bench press.  Run 10K 1/week for 1 month.  Earn 2nd Degree Black Belt.

Why?  Because I want to model the kind of health and strength that I want my girls to have when they grow up.

Matrix tilts done with EC.

what do you call a pvp with only one competitor?

I'm in! Going for gold this time. Just missed it last time, but also started a couple days late. Think I have a good shot, but gotta see what Darebee throws at us :-)

I'll try to talk up the PvP on the Ranger forum...it's really fun and accessible to a range of levels.  Thanks for organizing!

Matrix tilts done with EC. I feel like this dare was a little fuzzy. Hard to tell if I was really getting to 30 degrees, but I was going as far as my flexibilty would allow, so I think it's legit. It's just a little weird because a few inches more or less on each rep would dramatically affect the difficulty.

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Link edited!  It's now an edit link, rather than a view link.  

And welcome!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, everanything said:

Count me in at going for bronze this round.

11 hours ago, MiaulinTheCat said:

I'd like to join, please, and go for bronze. :D

Edit: Did the thing today (August 15th) with Extra Credit. It won't let me do anything to the spreadsheet though.

7 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I will join in, aiming for Gold. :)

Yay! Glad to have company!

2 min scissors done with extra credit. Last challenge we had this weird double scissor move...glad this one is normal ;-)

• Like 2

Oct/Nov 2016

I still can't figure out how to swing my arms on those, but reverse lunge knee taps done with EC.

• Like 1

Pulse ups done with EC.  THOSE ARE HARD!

• Like 1

Reverse flutters.  With EC, real slow.

• Like 1

Yeah, those are brutal.  I broke a sweat at just over the 3 minute mark.

As long as you can accumulate your 4 minutes through the day, you're good.  I find it's easier for the longer challenges to find something good on youtube to watch while you put yourself through it, just to keep you mind off of what exactly you're doing.

Done with EC (barely.)

• Like 1

Reverse flutters with EC a couple days ago...those are part of my phys. therapy routine, so I'm all good.

23 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

Elbow side planks. No EC. I could only hold it for a max of 20-25 seconds. :/

Done with no EC for me too. I was doing it in chunks of 30. I was pretty tired from a big run the day before. I think rested I could have done longer chunks (maybe 45 s?) but nowhere near 2 min.

For the diver pushups today...it looks like they mean dive bombers (where you swoop into and out of a pushup). An easier scale is swooping into the pushup and then just pressing straight into downward dog (not swooping back). The picture doesn't indicate which you should do. To make it more complicated, if you look at the video of "diver pushups" on the darebee website, it's completely different from what they show in today's picture. The video shows a reguar pushup all the way to the ground and then arching up into something like a superman pose. Weird.

I'm assuming swooping in. I'm gonna try and see how hard they are and then make a decision about whether I'm gonna swoop out as well. Thoughts?

Stuff I've read online says they can be hard on your shoulders, so be careful!

Oct/Nov 2016

6 hours ago, Xena said:

I'm assuming swooping in. I'm gonna try and see how hard they are and then make a decision about whether I'm gonna swoop out as well. Thoughts?

Yeah, that one confused me too. Except I can't do regular push-ups yet, so I'm going to have to pass on this one. But hopefully you find something that works!

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Swooping in seems right.  Like you're diving at the ground.

• Like 1