[Charlie_Quinn] Maximum Effort - Part II

Charlie_Quinn

32 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Anyway, I actually felt rested when I woke up this morning so I went swimming at lunchtime. For once, swimming actually felt really good and really relaxing. I managed many more lengths than usual and, as I had the whole pool to myself (I know, awesome!), I spent some time just relaxing, floating on my back in the middle of the pool. Bliss. 

Those are the BEST times in the pool for sure! Glad you got that time to yourself :) 

34 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

There is an outdoor training centre in Essex that looks amazing, but there is also a parkour gym in London that does 90 minute OCR training sessions at the weekend. So yesterday I emailed them to inquire about it. So, I may be visiting a parkour gym soon. Because I obviously need to do MOAR THINGS! :rolleyes:

*Drool* I wanna go! Damn I need more parkour in my life. Let us know how this works out because it sounds like a blast!

W0lf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Vigilante/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 178#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Gotham Project Pt. 2

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

48 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

All week I've been obsessing about not getting up that warped wall last Saturday. It's not the first time I've failed that obstacle, but for some reason it really bugged me this time. So I started to investigate OCR training centres. There is an outdoor training centre in Essex that looks amazing, but there is also a parkour gym in London that does 90 minute OCR training sessions at the weekend. So yesterday I emailed them to inquire about it. So, I may be visiting a parkour gym soon. Because I obviously need to do MOAR THINGS! :rolleyes:

I'm jealous. The downside to living in a tiny mid-west US city is that we don't have cool things like this. There's a gym near me that has a climbing wall and a rope wall outside but looking at their website they don't have classes that specialize in OCR-type training (and they seem very bro-science oriented which is a turnoff)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Maigahane said:

The downside to living in a tiny mid-west US city is that we don't have cool things like this.

Even worse when it isn't even a city but a tiny mid-west US town LOL...   I think closest place to me that has a climbing wall (at least that I know about) is like 45 minutes away.  Parkour is probably closer to an hour+ the other direction LOL

• Like 2

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

2 minutes ago, bker1370 said:

Even worse when it isn't even a city but a tiny mid-west US town LOL...   I think closest place to me that has a climbing wall (at least that I know about) is like 45 minutes away.  Parkour is probably closer to an hour+ the other direction LOL

Been there too though I wasn't into OCR's back then. I haven't told hubs yet but my dream is to own a house way out in the woods (we agree on this part) and then I can create my own obstacles out there to train on :)

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

All week I've been obsessing about not getting up that warped wall last Saturday. It's not the first time I've failed that obstacle, but for some reason it really bugged me this time. So I started to investigate OCR training centres. There is an outdoor training centre in Essex that looks amazing, but there is also a parkour gym in London that does 90 minute OCR training sessions at the weekend. So yesterday I emailed them to inquire about it. So, I may be visiting a parkour gym soon. Because I obviously need to do MOAR THINGS! :rolleyes:

Getting better at OCRs is my main motivation for trying out a parkour gym next week. We only have one in driving distance and it doesn't specialize in OCR training but I think I can pick up useful skills anyways. I feel woefully inadequate when faced with walls of any kind. I did wonder if you have had any training, or do your current techniques come from climbing? 

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

11 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I've been AWOL for a few days, mostly because I've done bugger all with my week and have been so tired that I've been walking around like a zombie. I've been going to bed at 9:30, sleeping soundly, but waking up at 6:30 still feeling completely exhausted. Maybe I just really really needed a few recuperation days.

I've been like this all week too, must be something going around ;) 

• Like 1

Had a busy Friday so no time to reply to everyone but I promise I will later when I get home. I'm currently on a train on my way to London to take part in Rough Runner. It's my last one of the year with my partner in crime B. It's Ninja warrior / total wipeout inspired so we're gonna have some fun!

I feel woefully inadequate when faced with walls of any kind. I did wonder if you have had any training, or do your current techniques come from climbing? 

Thought I'd do a quick reply to this and then I'll give more details later. I use the heel hook technique, it works on any kind of wall and requires very little upper body strength. I haven't failed a wall (that I can remember) since learning this. I'll post some videos later for you.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

8 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

It's my last one of the year with my partner in crime B. It's Ninja warrior / total wipeout inspired so we're gonna have some fun!

WHAAAAA?! Sounds like a blast, CQ-HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE :) 

8 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Thought I'd do a quick reply to this and then I'll give more details later. I use the heel hook technique, it works on any kind of wall and requires very little upper body strength. I haven't failed a wall (that I can remember) since learning this. I'll post some videos later for you.

I think it's time our CQ gets herself a guild name. Something OCR related. Hell, CQ could be the new Werespartan IMO. I love how you've come into your own with all your races and OCR's. It's really cool to see :)

W0lf

Wild Wolf

Class: Vigilante/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 178#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Gotham Project Pt. 2

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

On 9/15/2016 at 4:11 PM, Mad Hatter said:

ALL THE THINGS!

When it comes to swimming nothing makes me more grumpy than having to overtake slowpokes. Having the pool to yourself sounds blissful!

To be fair, it's usually me holding everyone up. Which is why the empty pool is a bonus!

On 9/15/2016 at 4:40 PM, Maigahane said:

I'm jealous. The downside to living in a tiny mid-west US city is that we don't have cool things like this. There's a gym near me that has a climbing wall and a rope wall outside but looking at their website they don't have classes that specialize in OCR-type training (and they seem very bro-science oriented which is a turnoff)

I'm quite lucky where I live in that I'm close enough to head into London but far enough out that I avoid the nightmare that is city living. That being said, I'd love to move out to the country as this town is turning into a bit of a crap hole!

On 9/15/2016 at 4:43 PM, bker1370 said:

I have to travel about 40 minutes to get to the climbing wall, but I enjoy it enough that the journey is worth it. Of course, you don't need a gym for parkour, @Wild Wolf posted some great videos of him practicing parkour around an apartment block.

On 9/16/2016 at 3:44 AM, maegs said:

I've been like this all week too, must be something going around ;) 

I think it's end of challenge fatigue, the new challenge excitement will kick in soon!

19 hours ago, mr_willes said:

I don't think a few recuperation days is ever a bad idea! Take a breath come back swinging! You have been up to a lot, you deserve some rest!

Rest days are over, time to get back to the ass kicking!

31 minutes ago, Wild Wolf said:

WHAAAAA?! Sounds like a blast, CQ-HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE :) 

I think it's time our CQ gets herself a guild name. Something OCR related. Hell, CQ could be the new Werespartan IMO. I love how you've come into your own with all your races and OCR's. It's really cool to see :)

W0lf

I had fun! Not too sure on the "safe" thing. I stacked it into my friend jumping off an obstacle and she repaid me by booting me in the head later! All good fun of course!

Aw Wolfie, you're like the third person to make me blush today. There was some talk about the name thing on my previous challenge. I believe Dark_Raider came up with "Mud Shaman" and "The Mud Machine" (because my OCR buddy calls me The Machine for some reason!). That would be cool, but honestly I get a bit embarrassed when people keep saying stuff like this about me because I really don't think I'm worthy of a cool name. I'm just an idiot that likes climbing on/over/under things and getting dirty!

• Like 6

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

10 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Wild Wolf posted some great videos of him practicing parkour around an apartment block.

True, but he also already knows what he is doing...   I would probably be better off with at least a little instruction first.  I'm sure there are plenty of videos on-line to learn from but for something with a big potential for injury (at least if done wrong) would probably be best if I had someone present who knew what they were doing to see where I was doing it wrong and stop me before I found out the painful way that I was doing it wrong LOL.

• Like 1

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

The race today was a blast! The course was strange as it was around Clapham Common which is a public park, so we were running around the field while people were playing their usual Saturday morning football matches. Weird, but at least it was flat! There was a bit of disappointment as 2 of the big ticket obstacles, swept off your feet and revolution were broken when we got to them. There were still a few other big ones that we got do though, like Newtons cradle which was ridiculously fun. I made it all the way to the end on those big balls only to fall in the water trying to get out of the inflatable pit. I'm still counting it. The only thing I couldn't do was Hang Tough because I can never do Hang Tough rings.

Biggest wins of the day, we both made it up the warped wall (there were ropes hanging down on this one though so easier than last week) and we got up The Travelator at the end without falling. B wanted to go up the really slow belt but I convinced her to try the one down from the fastest (there were 4 belts, all at different speeds. I'm so proud of her for trying and making it up first time. I knew I wouldn't get up the fastest one (little, slow legs) and was a little scared of falling and landing on my knee, which is still hella bruised from last week, so I did the same belt as her and made it up to the top. It's such a great obstacle to end the race on.

It wasn't a particularly strenuous run, so don't feel tired or achy at all, which means no excuses not to run tomorrow! And maybe climb.....

This challenge has been a bit up and down but generally I'm happy with how it went. Next challenge I'll have my last OCR of the year (sob) and a half marathon. Then the real fun starts; training my ass off so I don't die at Dirty Weekend (20 miler) next year. *gulp*

• Like 12

2020 Races: 

Before I forget! For @Cascade - here's the video I used to learn the heel hook technique. They are doing it on an overhang wall but the principal is the same for a normal wall. I didn't have anywhere to practice this outside of races. I just kept trying it until I got it right! I hope this helps you!

• Like 5

2020 Races: 

2 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I didn't have anywhere to practice this outside of races.

This is my biggest problem with climbing training and (unfortunately, but relatedly) wall climbs are my nemesis.  :grumpy:

It's been fun following the muddy madness.  Can't wait to see more of it next challenge!

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

On 9/15/2016 at 10:50 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

So, I may be visiting a parkour gym soon. Because I obviously need to do MOAR THINGS! :rolleyes:

Catching up! So sorry about the knee, glad you are healing. I had to google Dryrobe; now I want one bad.

Feeling you on the MOAR THINGS; I would belong to six gyms if I could.

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

13 hours ago, Phoenix Burning said:

This is my biggest problem with climbing training and (unfortunately, but relatedly) wall climbs are my nemesis.  :grumpy:

It's been fun following the muddy madness.  Can't wait to see more of it next challenge!

It is really hard to train for OCR outside of races. If I didn't have so many races this year, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to test out the techniques in the video above. I think with wall climbs, confidence is a major factor as well. You have to ignore the part of your brain that's telling you can't do it, because you can!

13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Newton's cradle looks super fun! Glad you had a blast!

It was really fun but much harder than it looks. My fingers were sore from the ropes for hours afterwards.

7 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

Catching up! So sorry about the knee, glad you are healing. I had to google Dryrobe; now I want one bad.

Feeling you on the MOAR THINGS; I would belong to six gyms if I could.

They look so comfy don't they. I'd probably just wear it around the house on cold days! There aren't enough days in the week to fit in all the things I want to do.

1 hour ago, skinNbones said:

Also, where is this OCR training in Essex ?

The wisdom of age: don't stop walking.

Wild Forest Gym in Brentwood. It's where Nuclear Race is held. 

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

New Challenge is up! I'm starting early!

• Like 5

2020 Races: 

1 hour ago, skinNbones said:

Cool that's not too far from me.

The wisdom of age: don't stop walking.

I'm slightly envious of you! I might look at going there in spring, I can't imagine it being that fun in winter! 

2020 Races: 

On 9/15/2016 at 10:50 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

I've been AWOL for a few days, mostly because I've done bugger all with my week and have been so tired that I've been walking around like a zombie. I've been going to bed at 9:30, sleeping soundly, but waking up at 6:30 still feeling completely exhausted. Maybe I just really really needed a few recuperation days.

I got hit hard by the fatigue this week too. Glad you rallied and had a great OCR this weekend!

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016