There Will Be Grymm

Grymm

8/31/2016

S: 2x5x45, 5x95, 5x145, 3x195, 5x5x240  Set (4) of these was garbage, but set (5) wasn't bad.  I think I was rounding at the bottom to get more depth/ROM.

B: 5x45, 5x95, 5x5x150 Some shoulder pain at 95.  Bending the bar takes the pressure off the shoulder a bit.

R: 5x5x150

Starting to weigh in around 275.  Going to need to clean up the diet a bit.  I'm constructing a plan.

• Like 4

Intro

Challenges: #1#2#3#4, #5

3 minutes ago, Grymm said:

5x5x240  Set (4) of these was garbage, but set (5) wasn't bad.

Well.  It looks like you are still making progress.  And I am told for many sets, the last one is the easiest because you *know* there are no more left.  This is really the case for 10x10.

4 minutes ago, Grymm said:

5x5x150 Some shoulder pain at 95.  Bending the bar takes the pressure off the shoulder a bit.

Bend the bar.  Squeeze your shoulder blades together like you are making a bum with your back.  Screw the shoulders into the sockets.  Whatever works to take the pressure off.

Desk job and ongoing shoulder issues over here, too.

• Like 3

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

I have some wear in my right shoulder from both the curve in my back (my shoulders are tilted forward) in combination with playing volleyball for years (overhead arm swings).  Case in point - if I put my hand over the center of my chest and press, I get pain on the outter top of the humerous - could be the supraspinatus tendon or part of the subscapularis, maybe just quasi-permanent shoulder capsule irritation.  I have some labrum damage as well, but this isn't it.  That's been under control for a while. 

Morale of the story - don't get lazy on your form on the easy sets.

Also 11 year desk jockey often for more than just work.

As for 5x5, starting strength works with just 3 sets for progression, but I like having 5.  It's harder and classically, harder works better than easier until harder doesn't work.  What might mess everything up is if I need to drop my calories below 3500 which might slow my recovery/adaptation.  

• Like 1

Intro

10 hours ago, Grymm said:

Starting to weigh in around 275.  Going to need to clean up the diet a bit.  I'm constructing a plan.

Everything I knew about life is now a bokeh dream... next thing you know Sam will be talking about a deficit! The food apocalypse begins...

Squeeze your shoulder blades together like you are making a bum with your back. 

Hehehe.... back butt :P It's even in the dictionary... /user: Collin has backbutt is totally legit.

lanmJ5V.png 

• Like 6
24 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

It's even in the dictionary

I'm not sure I would call urban dictionary "the dictionary". That may get you in some future troubles if you use those definitions to look up words.

But I would argue back butt should be added to the real dictionary. I will start the petition now!

• Like 3

Level 12 Ranger - Instagram | MFP

Challenges

2016: First - Second - Third - Fourth - Fifth - Sixth - Seventh

2017: Eighth - Ninth - Tenth - Eleventh - Twelfth

Respawn 2017 - CH1

2 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

I'm not sure I would call urban dictionary "the dictionary". That may get you in some future troubles if you use those definitions to look up words.

But I would argue back butt should be added to the real dictionary. I will start the petition now!

WnMXSw2.gif

• Like 5
1 hour ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Everything I knew about life is now a bokeh dream... next thing you know Sam will be talking about a deficit! The food apocalypse begins...

Would I help if I told you the potential plan would be 3500 calories and over 300g protein a day?  Over my last 53 days, I have averaged 3722cal, 242p, 332c, and 149f.  If I were to trim out a few beers and a bag of pf Milano double chocolate cookies that attacked me at the supermarket one day (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!), I'd be right there.  I just need yet more protein!  Bring on the 9lbs of cod!

Also, weighed in back at 273 this morning.  I'm fine with gaining more weight in the right places.  I think my lifting belt is feeling a little tighter, however.  That's a little weird because I ordered the belt at 46" around the equator and measured 46.5" last night at 11# heavier - not a big change.  I can only assume some of my underlying muscles have developed a little making me a little less compressible.  Still quite doughy, though. 

Ever onward.

• Like 2

Intro

2 hours ago, Grymm said:

a bag of pf Milano double chocolate cookies that attacked me at the supermarket one day

Love Hate when that happens

• Like 3

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Week 12 of stronglifts complete!  And triumphantly at that!

On Wednesday, I had back stability issues on my squat sets.  I wasn't pitching forward, but at the bottom, my back was definitely losing extension, and I wasn't getting it back on the way up.  I was able to kind of pull it together at the end, but I figured this was sending me a sign that I was not going to achieve my goal of running out progression to the end of this challenge.  It was a sad story.  Regardless, I set out today to see how I would do and at least finish out 12 weeks on a high.

S: 2x5x45, 5x95, 5x145, 3x195, 5x5x245 (Did it, but there's a story here.)

P: 5x5x100 - boom - triple digits

D: 3x5x285

Accessories - accessories have been sacked.  If I'm progressing, I don't need no stinking accessories.  

So regarding the squats, sets 1 and 2 were garbage like Wednesday.  I have the hips and legs to drive the weight up, but I can't lock my back in place.  I don't really feel like I'm really straining my back.  It's just going all noodly.  When you lose all tightness like that, you have no stretch reflex out of the bottom and force transmission is poor.  Then I noticed that I could not generate any IAP, none whatsoever.  Without a belt, I really can't generate much pressure due to my geometry, but I had been doing fine with a belt on.  So I just cranked the belt down another notch and blammo!  A 500% increase in IAP.  I went from struggling to cranking out the reps not easily, but at least forcefully.  I need to be mindful of this.  Depth after this was probably rubbish on some reps, but I don't care.

Now, I haven't lost any inches or pounds.  I'm not sure why the belt was no longer tight enough.  I put my belt on by laying down on the bench.  Straightening my spine a bit stretches me out a few inches and lowers my circumference greatly (poisson's ratio and all).  I probably have an easier time getting a belt tight than most.  If I wanted to, I could go at least another notch, but I don't think I'd be able to breath once I stood up.  I just need the belt tight enough.

• Like 2

Intro

Side note - I'm going to have to start working on my hook grip.  Double overhand was pretty tough for the last couple of reps at 285.  That kind of makes sense as the most load I'd put through my grip before was my bodyweight on dead hangs (275).  I can sneak in some grip work as well.

• Like 1

Intro

7 hours ago, Grymm said:

Side note - I'm going to have to start working on my hook grip.  Double overhand was pretty tough for the last couple of reps at 285.  That kind of makes sense as the most load I'd put through my grip before was my bodyweight on dead hangs (275).  I can sneak in some grip work as well.

Any reason you don't like reverse grip?

That aside, I'm also working on grip. It's mainly my left hand limiting me. So I'm working on my making my left hand do more. Take off all the bar clamps, opening jars, steering while driving, etc.

• Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

1 hour ago, Haikoo said:

Okay, I'm not sure what IAP is. Google was unhelpful.

IAP is intra- abdominal pressure, when you take a deep breath and then contract your core muscles around it to pressurize your body on the inside. 

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Any reason you don't like reverse grip?

That aside, I'm also working on grip. It's mainly my left hand limiting me. So I'm working on my making my left hand do more. Take off all the bar clamps, opening jars, steering while driving, etc.

I dont have any specifically against alternating grip. I have a feeling I'd have some twisting issues with the supinated side swinging forward.  If I can continue with hook grip, it is as similar to double overhand as I'm going to get.  I think having to improve my grip strength going forward is a feature rather than a flaw.  My grip strength is pretty symmetrical.  At the end, the only thing holding the bar was my thumb overlapped with my index finger knuckle on each hand.

• Like 1

Intro

If I titled my workouts, tonight's workout would have been called "Grymm has a Sad."

So my friend recently moved to Connecticut but came back this weekend for his birthday and a going away party.  We went bowling Saturday and watched some college football.  Then Sunday there was the official birthday/going away shindig.  Both days involved beer, but I'd say relative to me of the past, I was fairly well behaved.  Even so, it's not a great plan for recovery.  Protein and sleep were good both days, but I probably started this workout in less than prime condition.  I tried to devise a plan to lift tomorrow instead, but I'll be in Pittsburgh over the weekend.  

S: 2x5x45, 5x95, 5x145, 3x200, 2x5x250, 3x5x225

As strong as I felt Friday was as weak as I felt today.  Still plenty of push in the legs, but the back rounded a little in the first set at 250.  It rounded a ton in the second set.  During warm ups, I was getting more of the pinching sensation I get in the back of my rib cage on the one side sometimes and that turned into a knot the size of a softball.  It was just a sad story filled with sighs, so I backed it off to 225.  The silver lining is 5x225 is much easier than it was a month ago.  I needed to hit my last 6 workouts of the challenge to get to 5x275, so that's gone.  Actually, I think 5x250 will probably be my max for a few weeks until I iron out my form a bit.  I'm pretty fast on the descent, which is ok when you can control it and turn it around at the bottom.  I think at 250 I'm just going to far and bottoming out my hip mobility. Once the hips lock up, the back has to round.  Then coming out of the bottom instead of re-locking my back, I drive my knees forward a little and use my quads to lift everything.  The leg drive becomes the easy part.  One rep in particular made me think I needed to back off or hurt myself.  I'll make more progress working out at lower weights than I will hurting my back and not working out.  Even so, spirits were high on Friday.  245 went really well.  I would not have been able to do 5x5x245 either today.  

B: 5x45, 5x95, 5x135, 5x5x155

Flattening out to bench was pretty difficult today, given the knot.  

R: 5x5x155

The first (2) sets of these were rough.  I did some grip work earlier in the day, and I felt it.  The grip seemed to recover a bit after that.

I'm going to go lay on the floor a bit and see if I can get my back worked out. 

• Like 2

Intro

Sounds like a good time with your friend :D

If you have to find a silver lining on the back issue it could be like you were thinking,

Maybe it is giving you a chance to perfect your form so that you can come back stronger.

I know back stuff sucks first hand  but hang in there and I hope it mellows out soon.

The knot in my back makes me a little stiff, but it didn't really affect lifting at all.  Stretching might not have done much, but I feel mostly ok today - a little sore here and there.  I starting to transition to new macro targets.  The daily protein target is 307g.  That's a lot even for me.  I had a 20oz steak yesterday for lunch.  I do need to cut my fat intake down a quite a bit and up my carbs a little.  274.8# this morning.

Intro

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I hope you were able to work out the knot in your back. Do you have a tennis ball you can roll on? 

I second this.  I actually purchased a myofascial release massage thing (it looks vaguely dirty), and it helped tremendously with a stubborn knot in my lat.  

Worth a shot, anyway.

• Like 1

~Emerald_Dragonfly

Level 13 Warrior

Sorry you had such a bad session. Hoping the back sorts itself out.

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Meh, there's plenty of bright side.

1.  Continued bench and row progression.

2.  My plan initially was to lift (3) days a week.  I have done that (12) straight weeks.  Last night was key in trying to keep the streak alive.  However, Friday/Saturday travel may preclude that.  If so, I may go for (4) times next week (Sun/Tues/Thur/Sat) to catch up.  Or I may end the streak and start a new one.  Volleyball starts back up Monday and I may be back late Sunday.

3.  I got a good workout in and didn't injure anything.  I don't have any kind of time sensitive needs.  I knew going in that my back strength would be the limiting factor for a while.

• Like 5

Intro