Naxius Stretching, dancing, part-time Assassinating.

HAI GUISE!

A quick introduction: I've been multi-classing this, that, and the other thing all my life, but I've been more of a druid at heart on the NF forums so far. Or at least I've been trying to be, in order to 1) turn my mind into something that isn't a pack of cats on PCP, and 2) to generally improve my mental health. 1 is an ongoing failure, but 2 has improved tremendously over the last year and a half. tl;dr, my physical health/habits were/are pretty good, but my mind ones were shitty, and I was doing Druid-ish challenges in order to fix the imbalance.

So, why am I here now? Okay, it's story time. Some time ago, I decided to try a weekend pole dancing Boot Camp weekend class. It was incredibly fun, and I considered joining the studio where these classes took place on a part-time, one class per week basis. There was absolutely no way that I would register with the full-time package, though, because I had very little free time and wanted to save money. The upcoming pole competition was even more out of the question, for the same reasons. And then...

Pole coach: "You did really well at the boot camp! You should compete at _____ :D"

Me: "Ok!"

Then that competition happened, and the pole classes (full-time, because why not) continued. I'm also a member at another gym where the owner and coaches will design your workout plan and help you get better at whatever you want to. The training is in a small group setting, which is essentially not-1-on-1 personal training. Since they can tailor your workout to whatever sport or activity you want to focus on, I figured "why don't I ask them to tailor my workout to the pole fitness/art classes so that I can get better, faster?" And I did, so now I'm seeing results and progress a bit faster. This is in addition to the coach at the pole studio having competed professionally for a long time. She knows the ins and outs of the sport, such as which moves should be taught first in order to make learning any future moves easier, and which competitions are worth going to, etc. Long story short is that I'll be competing at a fairly high-level competition at the end of March. If pole fitness/art was a MMORPG, one could say that I've been getting power leveled like fucking crazy.

FsN6ckcl.jpg

Anyway. The big thing holding back my progress in this sport/art right now is flexibility. My flexibility isn't too bad, but it needs to be better. Like, full splits (both forward and sideways) by November. NO PRESSURE OR ANYTHING, RIGHT? :D But now that I've signed up for this, I have no choice but to do it. November is quite a while before March, but there also needs to be time for choreographing, practicing, making a costume...yes, costume, because this shit is like cosplay, gymnastics, and dancing all mashed into one sport and IT IS FUCKING WONDERFUL.

I figured that, since my goals are specific to a more Assassin-y sport, I should do my challenge here this time around.

Also, the mini-challenges look like an absolute blast.

Goals:

1. Stretch every morning and night. (After my workouts, too, but I'm not counting that since it's already a habit.) Splits flexibility is going well. Shoulder flexibility is fucking shitty. Need to work on both.

2. Hydrate. I won't fuss about specific volumes and measurements because that shit's annoying, but I will make it a point to have 6 average-sized cups of water while I'm at work.

3 . Stop being stressed. Saying this is as fucking useless as telling someone who's depressed to "Just cheer up :D" though, so instead I'll de-stress by getting three massages during the course of this challenge.

I was only going to have one challenge (stretching) and if items 2 and 3 fall by the wayside then so be it. Hydrating and stressing less both help increase flexibility according to some articles, so attempting them can't hurt. These things will also help with general well-being. Only the stretching goal will be graded.

WEEK 1: X X / X X / _ X / _ X / _ X / _ _ / X _  (X/14)

WEEK 2: _ _ / _ _ / _ _ / _ _ / _ _ / _ _ / _ _  (X/14)

WEEK 3: _ _ / _ _ / _ _ / _ _ / _ _ / _ _ / _ _  (X/14)

WEEK 4: _ _ / _ _ / _ _ / _ _ / _ _ / _ _ / _ _  (X/14)

TOTAL: XX/56

Misc. bullshit below:

- The original class I wanted to pick on NF was Wizard or Sorcerer, but those didn't exist, so instead here I am! All the things!

- I use the word "fuck" a lot, among others

- This thread will likely be cluttered with trivial (but entertaining) bullshit

- ...and workout-related complaining

- ...and cosplay-related complaining

- I will try my best to post images and videos of pole art/dance shenanigans

- There will be 5 or 6 days of dead time (Aug 31 to Sept 6?) in this challenge thread while I'm away at FanExpo, but I'll still stretch during those days

- Items may be added to or removed from this list at any point

• Like 10

Welcomeee. Get your flex on! 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

On 2016-08-15 at 4:07 PM, Myrik said:

Welcome to the Assassins, sounds like a good set of goals. 

Following along to see how a druid does assassin things.

A flexibility challenge could have gone in either guild, but it's specifically geared toward an Assassin-like sport. I (finally) edited the original post to explain this. Editing posts at work is not working too well anymore, and this makes me sad.

I noticed the meditation mini-challenge in here, too, along with the other mini-challenges. Maybe I can be successful at it this time? XD

On 2016-08-17 at 0:29 PM, raptron said:

Welcomeee. Get your flex on! 

Will do! Flexibility flex, or the kind where I need to show my arms and look badass? Lol

If I can get full splits by the end of the challenge, I'll do both!

8 hours ago, petefeet said:

Following along kiddo, btw I'll be in Freddy Town on the weekend of August 27 if you want to do some panic-laden cosplay! <g>

Hey there!

And excellent, because I think that weekend is the Cosplay Picnic weekend at one of the local parks. I can hopefully test out one of my cosplays there! you know, unless I'm in a mad (and drunken) panic working on it still.

• Like 2

Just a thought on the flexibility - if you have a computery/mostly sitting type job, set and alarm to get up every hour/half hour/whatever and do 1-2 easy stretches. Keeps your body from going too sedentary and those little ones add up. 

That said, if there's anywhere to attempt insane goals, this is the place to do it. Good luck!

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

17 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Just a thought on the flexibility - if you have a computery/mostly sitting type job, set and alarm to get up every hour/half hour/whatever and do 1-2 easy stretches. Keeps your body from going too sedentary and those little ones add up. 

That said, if there's anywhere to attempt insane goals, this is the place to do it. Good luck!

That's not a bad idea, actually. Work is indeed very sit-y. Except for the times where I have to run from one unit to another, etc. "Uniforms" consist of a t-shirt with the company logo and whatever pants/shorts I want, so I can likely get some stretches done in the office XD

I remembered a little late that the challenge was starting today, and only got some stretching done at 11:56, which still counts as morning. A few problems arose, such as stretching on a hardwood floor fucking sucking (even with a Yoga mat under me) and a warm-up not having been done before stretching. Next time I can place a towel under my knee when I do the stretching next time so that it's less painful, and do a few rounds of the first part of the current mini-challenge as a warm-up.

I should really go work on my cosplay because the con is in less than 2 weeks and aaaaaahhhhhh

• Like 3

Morning stretches are going to be a hassle. Warming up (which I didn't do today either) means waking up earlier, and also means sweating...which leads to having to shower after warm-up/stretches. And to having to wake up earlier still. I usually shower at night because I don't have the time or motivation to do it in the morning.

I still did the stretches, but I'm not sure if the lack of a warm-up will result in any progress.

• Like 1

Set alarm earlier. Hit snooze 6 to 7 times instead of hitting it 4 to 5 times. Oops. This was incredibly counterproductive because I ended up getting up even later than usual and had to skip stretching this morning all together because I only had time for 2 out of the following 3 items: eating, pooping, stretching :\

I'll have to move the alarm next time, to make it so I can't pound the snooze button repeatedly. Placing it on the cedar chest near the other side of my room and having the Yoga mat RIGHT NEXT TO THE CEDAR CHEST SO THAT I AM STANDING ON IT WHILE TURNING OFF THE ALARM will be the plan. Then it'll be like "Oh, look, I'm already on the Yoga mat. I may as well do the thing now."

Regarding the hardwood floor problem: rolling up one half of the Yoga mat makes enough of a cushion, so I can have one knee on that and then just stretch forward with my other foot, assuming it doesn't stick to the floor too much (fuck you, humidity).

• Like 6

Getting up is always hard.  For me its more about going to bed at a decent hour to get up at 330 to go for a run/bike ride and stretch before showering and then off to work.  Luckily for me my work day is from 530 to 1330 today so I have all afternoon to bike if it's not to hot out. 

1 minute ago, Manarelle said:

thumb-tack-alarm-clock.jpg

Good plan with the yoga mat placement. 

That is just plain evil.  I use my phone alarm and have a note attached to it, telling me to get the Fuck up and don't be lazy.  Seems to work half the time.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

thumb-tack-alarm-clock.jpg

Good plan with the yoga mat placement. 

LOOOOOOLLLLL @ that picture.

44 minutes ago, Myrik said:

Getting up is always hard.  For me its more about going to bed at a decent hour to get up at 330 to go for a run/bike ride and stretch before showering and then off to work.  Luckily for me my work day is from 530 to 1330 today so I have all afternoon to bike if it's not to hot out. 

That is just plain evil.  I use my phone alarm and have a note attached to it, telling me to get the Fuck up and don't be lazy.  Seems to work half the time.

The part about going to bed earlier is a constant battle. I've managed to increase my hours of sleep per night from 4 or 5 to 6+ in the last few weeks though. It's a work in progress, but there's already a difference in terms of work productivity. Sometimes I wonder what I'd be capable of if I were to get 8+ hours of sleep per night.

I use both the alarm on my phone and the alarm clock, mainly because my cat (which also functions as an alarm) likes to step on the alarm clock and mess up the hours and minutes. The thumbtack idea might be a good cat deterrent, actually.

• Like 2

Getting up is harrrrd. Hope your yoga mat plan yields some results. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Pole dancing seems very gymnastics-y to me.

Were it not for the stigma and the millions of hours of homework and practice time awaiting me this semester and lack of knowledge of a place that would teach it, I might have tried it by now.

Belly dancing is being offered here, but it directly conflicts with a class I have to take.

My phone alarm requires me to do math to snooze or dismiss it.  You could try an app like that, accompanied with an obnoxious ringtone, to get up in the morning.

I look forward to seeing your progress (and maybe using it as motivation to get my own act together).

• Like 3

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

18 minutes ago, Snickie said:

My phone alarm requires me to do math to snooze or dismiss it.  You could try an app like that, accompanied with an obnoxious ringtone, to get up in the morning.

This is genius!!!

• Like 1

Race: Halfling     Class: Rebel

Recruit 1st 2nd 3rd 4th  5th 6th  7th  8th 9th 10th  11th 12th 13th  14th  15th

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

Fictionfirst Used Books (Feel free to like my page!)