Jump to content

ElvenEngineer Uses Focus


elvenengineer

Recommended Posts

 

So, I have a stretch that@Nightlight sent me that's legit the best thing I've ever done for my ankles.  I'll try to find the video she sent me and send it to you. Or, I'll see if I can record and send it.  I can't describe it accurately with words sooo yeah. 

That sounds great!

Thanks everybody for the suggestions! I tried doing the alphabet thing, and it kind of hurt so I stopped.

Have been doing duolingo, but not anything else. On a work trip now, will try to update when I can.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Goal: Deadlift a (Female) Wookie (100 kg): 65.8%

Link to comment

Note: it's really hard to adult when I'm not at home.

Been really good about doing mobility so far this week. Did yoga yesterday and this morning. Intentionally :)

Protein: I missed tracking Monday but I got it yesterday

Duolingo: every day

LQ: pass because not at home

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

  • Like 5

Goal: Deadlift a (Female) Wookie (100 kg): 65.8%

Link to comment
Just now, elvenengineer said:

Note: it's really hard to adult when I'm not at home.

 

Agree with everything here, except for the definition of "home."

 

When I get home, it is really hard for me to do anything except for the very basic necessities.  I might get into some action when I have people visiting, because then it has to be done.  Also:  I would say it helps just to have some company.  I don't know why.

 

Right now I am planning to outsource some of the bigger chores. :D

  • Like 2

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

 

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

 

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Sam Ashen said:

I might get into some action when I have people visiting, because then it has to be done.  Also:  I would say it helps just to have some company.  I don't know why.

I do my best cleaning under pressure when people coming over. Only an hour until friends come over...better start vacuuming and getting all the dirty dishes out of the sink. Wouldn't want to start those tasks too early!

  • Like 5

Level 12 Ranger - Instagram | MFP

Challenges

2016: First - Second - Third - Fourth - Fifth - Sixth - Seventh

2017: Eighth - Ninth - Tenth - Eleventh - Twelfth

Respawn 2017 - CH1

Link to comment
How's the calf?  More agreeable?

I did the whole alphabet last night without pain, so it's improving! Last time I made it to around the letter P.

Still taking it easy on the lifting front. Since I've been traveling for work it's been easy. I'm flying home late thursday night (which means I get Friday off :) so I may go to the gym and play around some to see what I can do.

I have a massage next Monday, and a PT assessment next Thursday, so I'll know more by the end of next week.

Check on protein, check on mobility, check for duo, pass on adulting. Though I did make some phone calls, I wasn't able to accomplish anything.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

  • Like 6

Goal: Deadlift a (Female) Wookie (100 kg): 65.8%

Link to comment

Glad to hear it's improving!!  I couldn't find the video NL sent me so I made one.  I just need to like.. upload it and stuff and then I'll send it your way!  

 

Nice work checkin' off all those goals! 

  • Like 1

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Link to comment
On 8/26/2016 at 10:05 AM, Hermione Gainser said:

Glad to hear it's improving!!  I couldn't find the video NL sent me so I made one.  I just need to like.. upload it and stuff and then I'll send it your way!  

 

Nice work checkin' off all those goals! 

I usually use google drive if that's helpful!

 

So, this week was interesting. I flew out Monday morning for work, and returned late Thursday night. I ended up going into work Friday primarily to get my ticket for the Yankees game and figure out plans for after the game. Got all that done, went to the Yankees game, had a blast, went out after (only two drinks, but TONS of fun), and got home at ~4am this morning. 

 

Adulting:

Friday - took care of car insurance

Saturday - sorted out phone stuff (ah, that was not fun. I'm paying triple now. Though, tbh, even then it's still worth it to me emotionally to not have to write a check every month), kind of did laundry (I should go get the stuff out of the dryer).

 

I've been mobilizing a TON, so that isn't an issue. Though all the dancing/walking last night may have not been ideal. Calves/achilles are a little stiff today. I was thinking about it, and I did take breaks. I also purposefully wasn't drinking a lot so I would feel pain if it started. I think they're just tired, so I've been taking it easy today. With some stretching. 

 

Missed duolingo for the first time in a WHILE yesterday. Oh well. 

I'll have to do the protein as a weekly thing, I'll take a screenshot tomorrow. 

 

Now, after all the phone stuff stress, I'm in the mood to be nice to myself. The question is, what to do... Usually, I'd take a bath with a book and a nice bourbon, but I only have a shower in my apartment. Decisions, decisions. 

  • Like 6

Goal: Deadlift a (Female) Wookie (100 kg): 65.8%

Link to comment
On 8/22/2016 at 9:25 AM, Hermione Gainser said:

 

So, I have a stretch that @Nightlight sent me that's legit the best thing I've ever done for my ankles.  I'll try to find the video she sent me and send it to you. Or, I'll see if I can record and send it.  I can't describe it accurately with words sooo yeah. 

if this is the same stretch that i stole from HG and nightlight a while back, then i'll second it's awesomeness.

 

i can try to describe it but like HG said, it's a bit complicated. 

let's start with the right foot:

calf-stretch600.jpg

 

do this with your right foot but keep it a bit closer to the wall than pictured. bend your right knee slightly and bring your left foot behind your right knee to apply a bit of pressure. you should feel this directly in your right ankle (and calf if it's tight). i do each side for 30s and then ankle circles after. you may need to work up to 30s though because it is an intense stretch. go slowly coming out of it as well!

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Link to comment
1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

if this is the same stretch that i stole from HG and nightlight a while back, then i'll second it's awesomeness.

 

i can try to describe it but like HG said, it's a bit complicated. 

let's start with the right foot:

calf-stretch600.jpg

 

do this with your right foot but keep it a bit closer to the wall than pictured. bend your right knee slightly and bring your left foot behind your right knee to apply a bit of pressure. you should feel this directly in your right ankle (and calf if it's tight). i do each side for 30s and then ankle circles after. you may need to work up to 30s though because it is an intense stretch. go slowly coming out of it as well!

 

Yes!  I knew I sent this to someone before! Do you have the video by chance? (but I'll be uploading it today, too just in case) It's the bees knees. 

 

This seems like a pretty good description, but I know what it is so I may be biased.  When you hook the foot behind the knee of the ankle you're working with let your body weight be the pressure - instead of pushing my foot against my knee or anything I just let myself feel like i'm falling forward (if that makes sense) - that'll also help it not be strenuous on the shoulders or arms.  OH! And make sure you actively push the heel down. When I first started I felt like my achilles was going to explode.  I also feel it in the top, outer portion of my foot/ankle. So yeah, it's majorly intense but it helps A TON... even when you think you're totally a mobility ninja (like I did) haha   

 

So here's hoping! 

 

Glad the gentle yoga helped!  Sounds like a lovely evening! 

  • Like 1

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Link to comment
On 8/27/2016 at 10:40 PM, elvenengineer said:

I ended up doing a gentle yoga video with a cup of tea handy :) Now I'm fixing to go to sleep.

 

Good night fellow nerds!

Hot toddy? ;-)

  • Like 4

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Link to comment
6 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

if this is the same stretch that i stole from HG and nightlight a while back, then i'll second it's awesomeness.

 

i can try to describe it but like HG said, it's a bit complicated. 

let's start with the right foot:

calf-stretch600.jpg

 

do this with your right foot but keep it a bit closer to the wall than pictured. bend your right knee slightly and bring your left foot behind your right knee to apply a bit of pressure. you should feel this directly in your right ankle (and calf if it's tight). i do each side for 30s and then ankle circles after. you may need to work up to 30s though because it is an intense stretch. go slowly coming out of it as well!

 

5 hours ago, Hermione Gainser said:

 

Yes!  I knew I sent this to someone before! Do you have the video by chance? (but I'll be uploading it today, too just in case) It's the bees knees. 

 

This seems like a pretty good description, but I know what it is so I may be biased.  When you hook the foot behind the knee of the ankle you're working with let your body weight be the pressure - instead of pushing my foot against my knee or anything I just let myself feel like i'm falling forward (if that makes sense) - that'll also help it not be strenuous on the shoulders or arms.  OH! And make sure you actively push the heel down. When I first started I felt like my achilles was going to explode.  I also feel it in the top, outer portion of my foot/ankle. So yeah, it's majorly intense but it helps A TON... even when you think you're totally a mobility ninja (like I did) haha   

 

So here's hoping! 

 

Glad the gentle yoga helped!  Sounds like a lovely evening! 

I shall try it tonight, though I'm going to go easy!

 

4 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Hot toddy? ;-)

Not this time. Maybe next time?

I currently only have one bottle of bourbon (gasp!) so it's in the freezer. Not great for hot toddys

Goal: Deadlift a (Female) Wookie (100 kg): 65.8%

Link to comment

You're doing super awesome this week :)

I've never been to Boston, but I can imagine there is a ton of cool stuff to see and do there.

  • Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Link to comment
33 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Whenever I have gone to Boston, we have played "drink the beers" and avoided all things of cultural significance.

That was on the survey monkey I sent out to the group lol.

One option was like a guided brewery tour with samples included, and there is another option that is literally just a list of breweries.

Goal: Deadlift a (Female) Wookie (100 kg): 65.8%

Link to comment

Oh, and I totally forgot to mention! I got a massage Monday as well. I found a massage therapist that is also a powerlifter! Her room is inside of a hardcore powerlifting gym that I kind of wish I had known about before. But it's a little bit of a drive, so I doubt that I would have signed up for it. Maybe on the weekends? Idk.

 

But she was quite good. My shoulders feel excellent, and she listened to me when I said I'd prefer not to mess with my leg until after PT on Thursday. So we spent the whole hour on my back and shoulders and they feel SO much better, even two days later :D

Would recommend (at least for people near Rockaway, NJ)

 

She also gave me a referral to a chiro, just in case I wanted it. I'll see what the PT says, and probably go from there. Chiro is also a powerlifter, and leans more towards the Kelly Starlett MobilityWOD type stuff than just back adjustments, which sounds helpful.

  • Like 4

Goal: Deadlift a (Female) Wookie (100 kg): 65.8%

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines