Blaze the Bounty Hunter starts working on her Motiva-ca-tion!

Blaze

I have had many ups and downs recently.  I went zip-lining!  I had to unfriend and block my closest friend in town because, long story short, she's crazy.  I saw the Grand Canyon and stuck my toes in the Pacific!  My boyfriend dumped me with no explanation or apparent motivation.  Good times!  But I'm focused on keeping a positive attitude and getting back on track.  

tumblr_me9cr70oGw1rvuimjo1_250.gif

Thus I've popped back up on Nerd Fitness to give this another go.  But this time I have a secret weapon....

My Motive-ca-tion Jar!

In this jar, I shall deposit funds earned by completing my goals.  All funds earned during the course of the challenge will be deposited into a new savings account devoted to funding my next amazing trip.  I'm thinking either Italy or Glacier National Park - two places that I really want to visit.

Goal 1 - Don't Half-Ass Tracking

tumblr_mfzpuxNZgD1ql86bho1_500.gif

I'm a member of Weight Watchers and have been for quite some time, but I kinda suck at tracking.  As a result my weight has been moving in the wrong direction lately.  To remedy that situation, I really need to start tracking again.

Track all foods and beverages consumed - 20 days = $10.00

- Each day above = $1

Goal 2 - Fake It Till I Make It at the Gym

tumblr_mwabl8LZG01r12sfko2_250.gif

I had a membership at one place - but first of all it kind of smells there and the locker rooms are gross, and second of all my ex-friend goes there and I don't want to run into her.  To avoid drama and to get a fresh start, I quit the old place and joined a new gym, both done this evening after work.  Xperience Fitness is my new hangout, and I think i want to try some classes and whatnot.  I do a lot of walking on my own, but I actually want to get stronger so I can hike and go rock-climbing, and lose weight so I can hike and go rock climbing.  I think I can find a combination of activities there that will help me.  Probably.  I'll figure it out.

Workout at the gym - 10 days = $10.00

- Each day above = $1

Goal 3 - Sleep!

giphy.gif

I've been trying to get to bed earlier so I can get that seven hours minimum and still have enough time to shower and dress in the morning.  Snooze alarms are my curse.  If I'm lights out by 11:15 I should be semi-asleep by 11:30-ish, awake by 6:35-ish.  This a plan, I think it can work.  I'd better go to bed soon or tonight won't count!

Lights out by 11:15 p.m. - 20 days = $10.00

- Each day above = $1

Goal 4 - Share with the Group

His-oh-his-everything.gif

I'm going to keep posting in this thread, even if nobody else pays much attention.  The thing is, somebody might pay attention to this thread every once in a while, so I want to be able to share with that somebody how awesome I'm doing on a regular basis.  Hopefully. ^_^

Accountability check-in - 20 days = $10.00

- Each day above = $1

But Wait!  There's More!

tumblr_nkzf6eNu6A1r3idrto1_500.gif

Because I'm motivated to earn funds for this trip to either Italy or Glacier Park - whichever I land on first - I've thought of some other ways to earn money for the Motiva-ca-tion Jar.  No penalty for failure, but the more I succeed, the greater the rewards.  Other ways to earn $1:

- Try a new recipe

- Explore a new location

- Eat 5 fruits and veggies in one day

- Plank for 10 minutes cumlative

- Resist a serious temptation

- Floss five days in a row

- Remove 50 things from the apartment (trash/give away/sell)

- Drink 64 oz of water 5 days in a row.

It's lights out in a few minutes and I still have to brush and floss.  I'll check in with weight and measurements tomorrow.  I'm glad to be back.  Goodnight!

• Like 5

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

“Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”   Vincent Van Gogh

Woah, you have been through some big stuff recently. I love this challenge though especially the part about earning your next trip through fitness activities, this is such a great idea. Oh, and I also love all the Parks and Rec gifs! 

Here to pay attention ;)

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

I like the idea of starting earlier than the official start date of August 21, especially since it means I have more time to get to 20 (or 10) days on my goals, and also that I have more days in which to earn bonus $ if I continue past goal.  I changed the amounts for completing each goal from $5 to $10 each, because traveling is expensive and I'd like to open my travel account with a nice little sum, if possible.

Whole Ass Tracking - I tracked all my points yesterday.  I also tracked today, though I did go a bit over.  The reason is recorded down below under Treat Yo Self!

Gym - My 45 minute orientation and complementary consult is on Thursday night so no progress here yet.

Sleep - The lights were out at 11:15, even if my i-phone flashlight was on to guide me into bed. :P  Tonight I'm actually considering turning in a little bit early, despite the Olympics being on right now.  Maybe I'll read in bed a bit, give my cat a good brushing, and make lights out with time to spare tonight.

Check-in - I'm counting this as my first OFFICIAL check-in, since my first post was just me promising to do so.

TREAT YO SELF! - Bonus activities

- Try a new recipe  -  I tried a new recipe, if you can call it that.  I do call it that so I can award myself a dollar for the Jar though. Basically I melted chocolate, spooned it into an ice cube tray and put a strawberry in each slot - 14 chocolate covered strawberries!  Since I'd never made that before, I figure it counts.  But I realized that's not the healthiest snack to have around the house, so I took the tray to work today to share with co-workers.  I had two - they were delicious.  Two is better than fourteen.

- Resist a serious temptation - Since I actually ate a couple of my chocolate covered strawberries, I can't say I resisted serious temptation today, but yesterday I totally did.  Between switching gyms and getting my hair cut, I didn't get home to eat supper until after 8 pm. While I was out, I had the opportunity to buy something not so good to eat at the grocery store, and I REALLY want to.  I was 'starving!'  But I only bought some fruit for my lunches, and a piece of string cheese to get me through until I got home to eat supper. Good job, me!  Another dollar in the jar!

- Floss five days in a row - Done it twice in a row so far.

- Drink 64 oz of water 5 days in a row - Twice in a row for this one too, but it ain't easy.  I used to drink water all the time at work, now not so much.

- Remove 50 things from the apartment (trash/give away/sell) = Zip so far

- Explore a new location = nope

- Eat 5 fruits and veggies in one day = not more than three so far

- Plank for 10 minutes cumulative = Hmm.  Let's see how I do right now....  Ooof!  43.5 seconds.  I'll take it.

Results - Good start and $2 in the Motiva-ca-tion Jar!  WooHoo!  I was checking out tours tonight, lots of possibilities, not just for Glacier and Italy.  I've never been to New York or most of the East Coast, so I may add that to the list.  Besides, I have a cousin out that way who could maybe take me hiking out that way.  Good to keep my options open.  ^_^

Wednesday is my Weight Watchers weigh-in day, so I'll report my weight tomorrow.

And I really need to shorten these posts or I'll never keep my bedtime goal.

• Like 2

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

“Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”   Vincent Van Gogh

Checking in to say I checked in.  Also to say that I'm a red-head now, at least for the next couple months.  I've been toying with the idea of going red for awhile now.  Today I decided would be a good day to just go for it.  Hmm...  Could be because losing one of your closest friends and your boyfriend of seven months both within the space of a couple days can mess with your head and make you do strange things.  OR it could be because I'm just awesome like that.  

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Had my...  what would you call it? Sort of a general advisory 'hey why don't you fork over a bunch for a personal trainer' session at the gym.  I agreed to one session, thanks, which is actually three sessions where they probably try to talk me into the personal trainer thing again, but seriously $450 a month?  Even $250 a month is not going to happen.  I got some stretching tips for my hips and I also held my plank for 1:05 so I can add that to my plank total.  And though my body fat is atrocious, I managed 5 modified push-ups, which the trainer guy thought was pretty good, just below average for my age.  Yay, me!  

• Like 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

I'I'd really like to have this attitude about food...

Chris-Traeger-loves-lettuce.gif

But unfortunately I'm more like this, especially the last couple days...

tumblr_nchddnGrK81tvsgjno1_500.png

tumblr_nchddnGrK81tvsgjno4_500.png

Not staying within my points level, but at least I'm tracking everything.  That's progress, right?

• Like 2

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Whole Ass Tracking - I totally tracked the teeny tiny little single serve Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream thing I thought I'd treat myself with tonight.  I should have checked before hand or I'd have reconsidered.  That little bitty thing was 11 points!  I only get 30 points a day.  *sigh*

Gym - Gym orientation yesterday counted as my first go around.  And I plan to go on Sunday evening.  It's in my calendar.

Sleep - Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night, I was fine!  Last night I wanted to watch another episode of Limitless on Netflix.  So I did.  I won't be able to go to bed early tonight because I'm making apple chips and just started them.  They won't be done baking until midnight.  But that's okay.  Friday nights I don't need to be in bed early.  It's mostly work nights where I need to make sure I get my 7 hours, and I know I'll get at least seven hours, even if I go to bed at 1 am.  

Check-in - I'm doing good on the checking in, yes? ^_^

- Try a new recipe  =  Apple Chips!  I never tried to make that before, but I had a lot of apples and didn't won't them all to go to waste.  If this turns out, it'll be a nice go-to in my quest to lose weight and eat healthy.  I'm not sure what's so healthy about the cinnamon/sugar sprinkled on top of the apples, but I like the concept.  Another dollar for the jar!

- Resist a serious temptation = Clearly did not resist anything.

- Floss five days in a row = Doing good!  And my gums don't hurt quite so bad as they did that first night.  

- Drink 64 oz of water 5 days in a row = Yesterday I had to fight for my fluids and paid for it by needing to pee at 4 am.  But so far so good!  

- Remove 50 things from the apartment (trash/give away/sell) = I'm going to try to box up some stuff tomorrow morning before I head up north for a parental visit.

- Explore a new location - I hope to do so this weekend while traveling to and from parents

- Eat 5 fruits and veggies in one day = this is hard.  That's why I made it a bonus activity.  I'll get it one of these days.

tumblr_ml46srJ1Iv1rdh9azo2_400.gif

- Plank for 10 minutes cumulative = Two days of planking puts me at 1:50

Results - Not too shabby for the pre-challenge week, and I still have Saturday to go.  $3 in the Motiva-ca-tion Jar!  Here's too a lot more $ joining that trio soon.

Forgot to mention my Weight Watchers weigh-in put me at 214.8.  My Personal Training session on Tuesday, they're going to get lots more measurements from me that I'll try to remember to post as well.

• Like 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Rain wrecked my plans to explore a new location so I went to the gym tonight.  Over the weekend at my parents, I managed to floss every night but no points were counted.  It's just not a good idea to even attempt it on such occasions, but I plan to do better during the week.  I did resist a fairly serious temptation and did not get a peanut-butter chocolate malt on the drive home, but I got other stuff instead which turned out to be not much better in the temptation department - nothing awarded.  I got to bed last night by 11:15 and will do the same tonight.  Sleep is good and I have interesting dreams. ^_^

• Like 3

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

On 8/16/2016 at 0:10 AM, Blaze said:

I had to unfriend and block my closest friend in town because, long story short, she's crazy.  I saw the Grand Canyon and stuck my toes in the Pacific!  My boyfriend dumped me with no explanation or apparent motivation.  

Yeah, the 1st and last was one in the same except I did it because it was emotionally abusive.  It's tough having a huge gap in that situation.

I'm a member of Weight Watchers and have been for quite some time, but I kinda suck at tracking.  As a result my weight has been moving in the wrong direction lately.  To remedy that situation, I really need to start tracking again.

What made it hard for me was nothing is portioned out.

I do a lot of walking on my own, but I actually want to get stronger so I can hike and go rock-climbing, and lose weight so I can hike and go rock climbing.  I think I can find a combination of activities there that will help me.  Probably.  I'll figure it out.

What helped me was a 'gateway exercise'.  As in, finding something I liked enough to want to get better at- regardless if it was ideal for my actual goals.  Then I started building up a consistency and expanded what I wanted to do.

On 8/18/2016 at 0:03 AM, Blaze said:

Could be because losing one of your closest friends and your boyfriend of seven months both within the space of a couple days can mess with your head and make you do strange things.

Oh it does quite a lot.

My biggest takeaway when I burnt everything I owned in a massive fire was that I can't cater to other people anymore - and part of that was defining who I was.

• Like 2

I just wanna say, motiva-ca-tion is an amazing pun. A+

21 hours ago, Blaze said:

I did resist a fairly serious temptation and did not get a peanut-butter chocolate malt on the drive home, but I got other stuff instead which turned out to be not much better in the temptation department - nothing awarded.

Also, this is pretty much me, all the time. I think my thought process is usually something like "I didn't have that totally terrible food that I shouldn't have had, I'm gonna reward myself with some other totally terrible food that I shouldn't have." Good luck with resisting temptation, and with the rest of your goals!

• Like 2

250354089.jpg

Yeah, it was a pretty bad day.  I had weird-ass dreams last night that probably mean something.  One about my ex-friend where we were having fun, planning a trip and stuff, until I had to remind her that we couldn't because we weren't actually friends any more.  And then another where someone was trying to fit my head into a clear plastic box that already had stuff in it, while I sang a very depressing song.  

Then I woke up and things got oh so much better.  At work, someone is leaving at the end of the month so I get to take over all of his accounts.  I have some accounts of my own that are supposed to be migrating to a new location, too.  So I have to be learning his shit while teaching other people about my shit, while still doing my day to day shit which is complicated enough, thank you. 

I was very close to tears a couple times today, but held it together, more or less.  And yes, I did have a chocolate malt, but it was made with low-fat yogurt instead of ice cream so that's... not AS bad as it could have been.  And I told my departing co-worker that he'll need to cover all of my work tomorrow, along with his, so that I can catch up on stuff before he flies the coop.  If that works tomorrow, I'll be a very happy camper.  Or, you know, a slightly less depressed camper.  

I've gone to the gym a few times now, but I did cardio.  So far no strength training.  Tomorrow after work I have my official session with the personal trainer who will hopefully give me some start-up pointers, since I can't afford a PT any more than just this once.  

I'm tracking other stuff. But i don't feel like posting it all tonight.  I do plan to go to bed earlier than 11:15.  Maybe I'll take a hot bath yet tonight and try to relax and destress.

• Like 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

20 hours ago, Blaze said:

Yeah, it was a pretty bad day.  I had weird-ass dreams last night that probably mean something.  One about my ex-friend where we were having fun, planning a trip and stuff, until I had to remind her that we couldn't because we weren't actually friends any more.  And then another where someone was trying to fit my head into a clear plastic box that already had stuff in it, while I sang a very depressing song

Image result for freud

Lotta manifest and latent content there.

4 hours ago, Teros said:
Lotta manifest and latent content there.

If by that you mean it's full of crap, then yep.  I looked up the box symbolism.  Considering that my ex-friend fits the psychological definition of a Control Freak, can be passive aggressive and manipulative, and based on the incredibly stupid reason I had to unfriend her, add paranoia to that list as well, it's no wonder I dreamed about somebody trying to force me into conforming to their very limiting pattern.  It was very enlightening, and a good reminder that I need to keep thinking outside of any and all boxes.

I really prefer my usual dreams about traveling in strange countries and hanging out with random celebrities.  Once I had an entire dream adventure where I was one of the 10th Doctor's companions, and it was awesome!  I want more dreams like that!

Today has been a better day.

Whole Ass Tracking - I haven't exactly been sticking to my plan.  Stress eating is a thing with me.  I sometimes wish i was the type who loses their appetite when stressed, but no such luck.  

Gym - Got my Personal Trainer time today with Jorge, who gave me a good rundown of various machines at the club and had me do the proper number of sets and helped me get the proper starting weight, plus a schedule for who I can improve upon this start.  Very productive. 

Sleep - The Limitless binge watching continues.  Good news, they might actually bring the series back for a second season! ^_^

Check-in - I'm excelling here, i think.

- Try a new recipe  =  I bought some ingredients to try something new and will try to make it this weekend.  Will report later.

- Resist a serious temptation = Um...  Nope.

- Floss five days in a row = Real progress on this one.  My gums have never been so flossed.  I just need to work on getting the 5 days in a row, no interruptions.

- Drink 64 oz of water 5 days in a row = I had sooo much water today.  Every day this week.  It's easier to do at work, harder to do on weekends, so I hope I can get that streak going through this coming weekend.

- Remove 50 things from the apartment (trash/give away/sell) = Seriously not in the mood to do this.  But it shouldn't be about mood.  I need better structure to get that done.  Planning to bring some boxes home this weekend to aid in the packing up.

- Explore a new location - So many things I'm planning to do this weekend.  Looking forward to it.

- Eat 5 fruits and veggies in one day = Getting closer, but not so far.

• Like 4

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

I just did something somewhat bold tonight.  I was looking at various touring sites for solo travelers and found one called Women Traveling Together.  They just happen to have two tours for 2017 still in the planning stages that appeal to me very much.  One is a 7 day tour of Glacier National Park - both the US side and the Canadian side.  And the other is an 11 day tour of Italy that hits all the places I'd most want to go.  So I sent in my Pre-Reservation for both.  This just means that when the tours do get finalized, I'm on the list for first dibs to book.  I gotta see how much they cost, and how much I have to spend.  But I get a year-end bonus, I always get some kind of tax return, and I've got my Motive-ca-tion Jar started now.  Both trips would be a full year away.  But...

This could happen!  And I'm going to do my best to make it happen!

Good night! 

• Like 4

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Checking in to catch up.  It got too late last night for me to attempt it.  On the weekend I went exploring!  I randomly drove out into the country about an hour, ended up in Watertown Wisconsin, where there is a lovely old movie theater that I found, and went to the movies, and then found an even lovelier bookstore that was hiding a couple of letterboxes for me, along with a chai tea.  On Sunday, my friend Janine wanted to take me hiking to a place she wants to kayak, so we walked the trails near Lulu Lake and found a small river leading into it that is definitely deep enough to allow kayakers passage to the lake.  We saw several, and now we know the protocol too - drop your kayaks at the river, park about a half mile away in the lot, and then walk back to the river.  Good stuff!

On Sunday I also managed to eat five fruits and veggies in the course of the day, first time for that in the course of this challenge.  Yesterday I went to the gym and did my new strength training circuit that the PT gave me, so that's good stuff, too.  And I've been doing a better job of tracking, too!  I weighed myself this morning, and unless it's some sort of horrible glitch, I think I'm down a couple pounds.  We'll know for sure on Wednesday. ^_^

• Like 2

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

An interesting thing happened to me today.  There was a corporate-wide fitness competition involving tracking your steps over four weeks.  I did so and did pretty well, and my steps contributed to the first place finish of my region.  Because of that first place finish, all the people in my region eligible to win some very nice things in a random drawing.  And I was one of the six big winners!  They call it 'Free Health Care' for a year, but what I'll get is the cash equivalent paid to me at some point in September.  

THIS!!  This is all going into my Motiva-ca-tion bank account for traveling purposes.  I planned to open one at the end of this challenge anyway, and I hoped to put $50 or more in the account to start, but now it's gonna look so very much better than that. ^_^

• Like 3

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

I'm thinking that today will be a big success - goal-wise.  After my weigh-in yesterday at my meeting, I was able to shift another glass stone from my "Lose it" jar to my "Lost it" Jar.   That's one good thing about an otherwise hectic day.  And today is likely to be no better at work.  Bracing myself for difficult times ahead at work, but August had plenty of stresses, plenty more than I'm used to.  September has to be better, right?

Full check-in planned for this evening.  Stay tuned!

• Like 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Tried two new 'Recipe's this evening.  First, I froze some bananas, which took a couple hours, then I just blended them up in my new Ninja blender thing along with some vanilla, some sugar-free chocolate syrup, and some PB2 peanut butter powder.  Now it's back in the fridge to freeze up again for a delicious treat this weekend.  While I was waiting for the banana slices to freeze, I sliced up a potato into super thin slices, and they're baking in the oven right now, trying to be chips.  I'm not following a particular recipe for this, so we'll see if they actually turn out.  Fingers crossed!

Good tracking day.  Good gym day.  I'm totally on schedule for my bedtime, because I'm quite tired and really need to sleep.  And here I am checking in!  Plus two bucks for two recipes tonight, it's good all over the place. ^_^

fEwHxkiXn8weJv7bDdWsY3FYAkydrXBaKvGvuIbN

• Like 2

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

8 hours ago, Jack Danger said:

I hope those potatoes trying to be chips successfully became chips.

Also, any time anyone mentions potatoes, this song starts playing in my head. I wish I knew how to embed youtube videos.

The potatoes became chips.  Not particularly edible chips, but they were chip-like.  That was one potato down.  I have several others to try, plus some sweet potatoes, too!  And now I've got that song in my head, even though I don't understand most of it.  Thanks!

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

I have some adventures this weekend, and explored three new places in the course of these last two days.  It's a darn good thing I have an extra day off tomorrow so I have time to recover.  On Saturday there was a Kayaking adventure down a beautiful little river in quest of the lake at the end of it, but before we could quite get to the lake we first had to reenact certain scenes from The African Queen - minus the leeches, fortunately.  Today after church, my friend and I hiked in two new places - new to me, anyway.  One was a lovely nature area that once was the sight of a hotel where fashionable Victorian types enjoyed the nearby spring waters.  There are some interesting ruins in the area, and the water is beautiful.  Then we went to another place where there are many springs all within maybe a one-mile radius within this nature preserve.  It was a nice hike, if somewhat spoiled by mosquitos toward the end.  

I am very tired, no trouble making my bedtime tonight, even though I don't have to work tomorrow so I could stay up later if I wanted.  Too tired to even contemplate.

• Like 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

I'll admit I've been a bit off the challenge this weekend, at least as far as tracking goes.  I was going to say I'm off on more than that, but just realized that I'm not so bad off.  Though I haven't gone to bed by 11:15 a couple nights, I did get at least 7 hours of sleep because I could sleep later.  And although I didn't go to the gym these past three days, I kayaked my arms off on Saturday and hiked my legs off on Sunday, so I feel like overall that's a win.  

Today I've been trying to motivate myself to clean and actually start getting rid of some crap in my home so I can start on the 50 items mini-challenge.  I did make a new recipe tonight along with a repeat of my recent new recipe, the apple chips.  While the apple chips were baking I hard boiled some eggs with the intention of adding smashed avocado instead of mayo, per the new recipe.  However my avocado turned out to be NASTY inside, so I improvised and added some quacamole (3 100 calorie snack size) to the eggs.  It's a little spicy but I think it tastes awesome and will make a good sandwich spread for the week.

So far I've earned $15 for the Motive-ca-tion Jar!  WooHoo!

Edit:  Actually I miscounted.  I'm up to $23!  And I managed to get rid of 25 things tonight.  If I do that again tomorrow night, I can add another buck.

tumblr_m0nlblA3221qc41a4o1_400.gif

• Like 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter