Elder First

Elder

I have copied from the FAQ page…’cause it’s easy. I haven’t done a challenge in a loooong time. I never got past the 2nd or 3rd challenge, so I’ll start over.

My name is Jen. I am a Canadian slowly morphing in to a New Zealander. I’m a ranger! I love weight training and barbells. I also enjoy running on trails way more than road running. I love cooking, reading, gardening, Bubble Mania, and The Skeptics Guide to The Universe.

Here is my LEVEL 1 REBEL CHALLENGE:

1. Eat a vegetable with every meal 5 days per week

I will eat a vegetable with breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 5 out of the 7 days in the week. We have veggies with dinner 98% of the time. I have started eating a vegetable at lunch, probably for about a week so I’ll just continue on. Breakfast will be the challenge but it only takes a minute to grab a carrot out of the fridge and stuff it in my mouth so….

My plan to succeed with this goal is to prepare my veggies ahead of time. I’ll cut up a bunch of veggies (enough for the week) so they are easy to just grab and eat. I’ll pre-pack my lunches so I can just grab and go. I will also (for the first week so I don’t forget) prepare my morning vegetable the night before. It’s so easy to “sleep” walk in to the kitchen in the morning and not even realize what I’m eating for breakfast.

2. Drink a minimum of 3 litres of water every day

I just got my hands on a 1.5 litre bottle so all I have to do is drink two of those a day. I find it’s super easy to drink loads of water when I constantly have a bottle with me.

Here I will make sure my water bottle is full the night before so I can start on it as soon as I wake up. I’ll leave it on the kitchen table so I see it right away as well, then I’ll take it with me everywhere!

3. Run 8.2km three times per week (Mon/Wed/Fri)

I am running a 10km race (walk/run) with a friend on October 8 so I want to train in order not to hate myself during and after the race. I have been on 4 runs so far. On the first one I took it easy and walked more than I ran. I finished in 1 hour and 30 minutes. The second time I went out I ran more and got back in 1 hour and 10 minutes. The third run I did in 59 minutes! The last run I did I pushed myself hard, didn’t have my 9 month pup as a distraction, and came in at 52 minutes!! So I’ve been getting better each time I go out but, that last run was my max effort at the moment so I will hover around the 52 minute mark for now I think. My MAIN goal here isn’t to get quicker it’s to get our for a run three times per week no matter what and build the damn habit.

This one may become difficult. I had to run after work the other day and I didn’t really feel like it. Instead of coming home and having a 10 minute relax that would have turned in to a multi-hour relax, I forced myself to walk in the door, change my socks and walk right back out the door again. I usually wear some kind of t-shirt and leggings to work so I don’t have to change in to running gear when I get home. When my laziness tries to take over I’ll just have to get in to my “just do it” mode and force my feet to keep moving until I am back from my run.

4. Go to bed at 9pm Monday - Friday

I am great at getting 9-10 hours of sleep each night. I usually sit and watch tv from about 7pm to 9 or 10pm each night and I don’t need to actually do that. Come September when I am back to regular work hours I will have to start getting up earlier in order to get my runs or workouts in. So if I build the habit of going to bed at 9pm each night it won’t be so hard to start waking up at 5 or 6am. That’s still 8-9 hours of sleep.

For this goal I am going to set an alarm on my phone for 8:50pm so that I have enough time to stop what I am doing, brush my teeth, and get in to bed. I have done the “get ready for bed” alarm before and it has worked really really well.

That’s it.

They seem like super easy goals and I feel like they should be tougher, but

I know I need to start these challenges slow…and on easy mode. I’ll build

up the goals and put on the pressure once I have a few challenges

successfully completed.

I’m excited to be here and to get back in to this community!

-Elder-

• Like 2

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

Thanks Terra!

I set my alarm this morning for 6am in order to go for a run before work. That didn't happen. Haha It was kind of a last minute thought so I wasn't really mentally on board with it. When my alarm went off at 6 it was still dark so I turned it off and went back to sleep. I'll run after work today. :)

Yesterday I filled in my wall calendar with all my goals so I can tick them off as I go once the challenge officially starts.

Got my water bottle beside me and the sun is shining. Going to be a great day!

-Elder-

• Like 1

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

So.

Week 0...

1. Vegetable at every meal = 0

Need to get my breakfast vegetables ready and put a note on the counter as a reminder. Lunch and dinner vegetables are extremely successful!

2. 3L water every day = 2 days!

3. Run 8.2km x3 days a week = going very well. I've got Mon and Wed's run done. I ran yesterday after work! It was hard and my brain didn't want to but I did it. Life is good.

4. Bed at 9pm M-F = Pretty ok. Last night was a 10pm night because we had an impromptu dinner at the in laws.

I'm glad I've sorted my challenge before the 21st because it's given me time to find some trouble areas. Now I can add extra steps and reminders to get shit done.

Also...winter tomatoes!!!

769c04d79330bbdeee3c400b19268e8f.jpg

-Elder-

• Like 2

Two days until the challenge starts!

My running and water goals are still on track to be successful.

I still forget about the breakfast veg until an hour later. So I have gone ahead and prepared some carrots and cauliflower for easier access. I should have 4-5 mornings worth of veggies. I think I'll need to put a note on the fridge...or my coffee mug.

I think I've gotten to bed at 9pm once this past week. So I'll have to get tough on myself and make sure to work on that.

Over all I am feeling really positive about the upcoming challenge. Should be good.

-Elder-

• Like 1

Day one was successful and so far day two is too!

Yesterday I had my veg at every meal, I got about 4.5L of water in my belly, wasn't a run day, and was in bed at 9pm!

Today I've had my breakfast vegetables...I may have to cut back on my breakfast size as I was getting full before all my food was gone. I'm also halfway to 3L of water goal for the day and it's only 12pm.

I went for a run the morning. 8.25km in 53:23. Second best time! Had my fastest 1km (5:18) and my longest run (8:38) and I think a few other PRs too. So that's exciting.

I'm on track for a stellar second day.

I also got my tracking journal a little more organized and have written in different things on each day until the end of the challenge. This will give me extra reminders of what my goals are this challenge.

-Elder-

• Like 2

So. Ranger mini challenge this week is the distance one! I've already completed one of my runs yesterday morning...before it was decided to tackle the distance quest. That's ok. I am thinking of adding in a mini run on Saturday to get that extra kilometre in there.

Also, I'm still winning at my goals for this challenge!

-Elder-

The last few days have been pretty ok, not perfect but ok.

I got a 9km run in today. I've been getting to bed at 9pm each night. I've missed two days of my water goal only getting about 2.5 litres in. I've been getting veggies in at every breakfast, which I thought was going to be hard but it hasn't been. I've missed a veggie at dinner the other night because I had MacDonalds. There was lettuce on the Big Mac and technically fries are made of potatoes but I'm not counting that stuff.

I'm not thrilled with how the first week went but I'm happy that I've been making some progress. :)

-Elder-

• Like 1

Week 1 recap!

After going over my journal I realized I did better than I thought I did for week That was a nice surprise!

I got two of my three runs in. I swapped Wednesday's run for s gym workout which I hadn't done in 2 years. So it's still a win.

I got my 5 days of a veg at every meal in.

I got my 5 days of bed at 9pm in.

I didn't get my water goal. I got three days of 3+ litres of water. The other days I only got between 2-2.5 litres in. Which isn't too bad because I was at least getting. Lots of water.

I'm looking forward to tackling week 2 and making it even better. :)

-Elder-

• Like 1

Week two is off to a good start. I've gotten all my water in. The veggies are going down nicely. I ran 8km yesterday and will again tomorrow. I have 1 day of going to bed at 9pm. Sunday was a late night and tonight will be as well so I'll have to work hard at getting to bed by 9pm for the rest of the week.

-Elder-

• Like 2

Well 3 of the 4 goals are going amazingly. Veggies and bed time are the easiest. Water gets tough some days...and I need to go to the bathroom at least once in the middle of the night. The best days are when I get all the water in me before 6pm.

I've only run once this week because excuses. Half of me says your excuses are legit, the other half says they're just stupid excuses.

I've started working 9-5 hours again at my job so no longer have the 3 days per week off. I've got to regroup and start the habit of waking up early to run before work.

-Elder-

• Like 1

Week 2 Recap.

Week two was quite successful, apart from the lack of running.

1. Vegetable at every meal 5 days of the week= Yes! 6 days actually.

2. 3L water every day of the week= Yes! It's all I drink except for 1 coffee in the morning.

3. Run 8km 3x a week= No. I got Monday's run in the bailed on the rest of the week.

4. Bed by 9pm 5 days a week= Yes! I was really tired this week. I believe because my mind is coping with working more hours at work and doing harder tasks...which is good. It made it easy to hit this goal being exhausted at the end of the day. :)

So, all in all, quotes successful week!

-Elder-

• Like 1

Week 3 is starting out proper...the that past two weeks have.

I got my 8km run in today. Veggies for breakfast and I'm almost half way to my water goal. It's only 10:30am!

I have Wednesday off so I will get my second run in on that day. The toughest part will be run #3. I think I'll try getting up early and running before work.

-Elder-

• Like 2

Nice work - you're doing great!

I love your signature!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Things are still going well this week! The weather has been horrid so on Wednesday I did a body weight workout instead of a run. The same will happen tomorrow instead of run 3. I haven't quite decided if I'll count these for points or not, body weight workouts aren't runs and running is my goal.

Water, veggies, and bed times have been amazing all week!

-Elder-

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elder said:

My signature? Thanks! I can't believe week 3 is almost over already.

-Elder-

Signature - "I'm odd and beautiful"

It reminded me of the Francis Bacon quote, "There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."

A four week challenge goes by really fast! Glad to hear it is going well.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Signature - "I'm odd and beautiful"

It reminded me of the Francis Bacon quote, "There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."

A four week challenge goes by really fast! Glad to hear it is going well.

Ahh I see! Lol I forgot that was there because I can't see it on my phone. Thank you! I love it too. :-D

-Elder-

• Like 1