Challenge 2 - Lili's New Habits

Super_Lili

Here I am for a second round, after a really short first challenge as a newbie. Even though I did not reach all my goals in the first one, I learned a lot and it did make me feel better. Some of my die-hard habits are still here, but some other are surprisingly being replaced by healthier ones. I say 'surprinsingly' because, a couple of months ago, I would not have thought I could even do it. Being part of the Rebellion helps me tremendously :)

This time I'm aiming at goals that are challenging because it requires some efforts to change my routine, but that are still doable:

• Bring my lunch to work min. 3 x / week
  • Drink alcohol max. 1 x / week
  • Exercise min. 2 x / week
  • Meditate for min. 5 minutes, min. 4 x / week

Exercise and meditation are both new things for me and I hope it will help me deal with stress and who knows, help me sleep better :sleeping: 

Looking forward to start next month's challenge with my fellow Rebels! 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Myrdinn said:

That's a great and really sensible set of goals for a first challenge. If you can make all of those things habits that will be a major positive change.

Have you thought about what exercise you'd like to do?

Thanks Myrdinn! I've just ordered P90 through Amazon and I should receive it just in time for the new challenge! I'm not a big BB fan, but I thought this would give me structure to start exercising again, even though I don't plan on following their crazy 6 days/week schedule or jumping up and down on my neighbours' heads ;) The goal is to make exercise part of my life again. I still walk quite a lot (not having a car), but even though I did not put it in my challenge goals, I also plan on increasing my walking time. Eventually, I'll do the NF routine, but I guess I'm just not there yet!

I see you live in London: do you find that living in a big city is a good opportunity to walk a lot or are you (like me, ahem) addicted to cabs? :P

2 hours ago, Super_Lili said:

I see you live in London: do you find that living in a big city is a good opportunity to walk a lot or are you (like me, ahem) addicted to cabs? :P

Hi Lili! I don't live in a city as big as London, but I have definitely found that the bigger the city I live in the more I walk and bike.

Personally, exercise has helped SO MUCH with my stress - I hope it does the same for you!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, IRL 3.5 Monk said:

Hi Lili! I don't live in a city as big as London, but I have definitely found that the bigger the city I live in the more I walk and bike.

I used to live in Philadelphia, and I definitely didn't have money for cabs, so I walked and rode my bike almost everywhere. Even if I took the subway somewhere, I'd often have to walk ten blocks anyway. Now I live in a fairly rural area, and while there are all sorts of opportunities for fun outdoor activity, the nearest grocery store is ten miles. I wind up doing more physical labor than I ever did in Philly, but in Philly I'd routinely do two hours a day of walking or biking (and carrying heavy stuff) just going about my business.

• Like 1

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #20: The Weasel goes on an Adventure!

11 hours ago, IRL 3.5 Monk said:

Personally, exercise has helped SO MUCH with my stress - I hope it does the same for you!

Wow! Isn't this encouraging! Thanks, IRL 3.5 Monk: I'll keep this in mind when I feel discouragement creeping in! ;)

9 hours ago, Darth Yoga said:

I used to live in Philadelphia, and I definitely didn't have money for cabs, so I walked and rode my bike almost everywhere. Even if I took the subway somewhere, I'd often have to walk ten blocks anyway. Now I live in a fairly rural area, and while there are all sorts of opportunities for fun outdoor activity, the nearest grocery store is ten miles. I wind up doing more physical labor than I ever did in Philly, but in Philly I'd routinely do two hours a day of walking or biking (and carrying heavy stuff) just going about my business.

So I guess there are way to exercise (walk) without even noticing it! My biggest obstacle is the time it takes. But I remember when I used to walk (almost) everywhere and couldn't see myself taking a cab and yet, I was never late! Again, I guess it has to become part of your routine and that's what I'm trying to do now :) I'm glad you have all those opportunities to enjoy the outdoors and move a lot :)

8 minutes ago, Femineer said:

I'm trying to think of how I want to limit alcohol consumption during my challenge as well. I like your idea of limiting it to 1x/per week so it still gives me the flexibility to choose my drinking event, I just can't partake in every drinking event!

@Femineer: I understand what you say! In my previous challenge, my goal was 1x/week alone (I like my glass(es) of wine in the evening ;)) or 2x/week with people, because I often have work-related occasions involving alcohol, on top of my personal, social life. But I realized a couple of months ago that it was too much and that I was often drinking just... because it was there (again: bad habit). That reason is definitely not good enough ;) So that's in part why I have this goal. I have already slowed down on work-related events in the last few weeks and I can still enjoy a family dinner or an evening with friends. However, if I know I have a big work-related event where drinks will flow freely, I intend to plan accordingly during the next challenge and make it my "1x/week". Even though I'll probably have some slip-ups,  I'm already doing muuuuch better than I was a few months ago. 

Don't hesitate to poke me if you need some support! I'm not an expert of any kind, even though I know quite a bit about cravings :P Good luck! You can do it!

• Like 2

@Super_Lili I feel like we're in the same boat!! I'm pretty new to the "real world", just graduated college a year ago, and its surprising how many work and social events involve alcohol. But you hit the nail on the head when you said:

4 minutes ago, Super_Lili said:

But I realized a couple of months ago that it was too much and that I was often drinking just... because it was there (again: bad habit). That reason is definitely not good enough ;) 

My body is telling me I shouldn't drink like I did in college, and it's time to listen to it. 
We can do this!

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Super_Lili said:

I walk everywhere - in Central London it's often just as quick to walk as to take public transport or drive.

My wife and I are big walkers/hikers though - we'll often go for long walks at the weekends and we go on at least one hiking holiday a year. But at the same time I know a lot of Londoners who pretty much refuse to walk further than 15 minutes at a time and live in cabs!

• Like 1

Level 2 Warlock

Battle Log | First Challenge | Current Challenge

Welcome to your first full-length challenge! :) Looks like you've got a good plan going.

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Reporting on W1 of C2. Crazy week like I haven't had in a few months. I also contributed to the stress by becoming anxious realizing September is starting this week and I'm already so late in my projects at work while new things keep coming up. Add to this a couple of work-related event involving alcohol, and there you go, I forgot how to deal with everything and went back to my old bad habits. 

The only positive thing, again, is that I did not let go of everything, - I just did not meet any goal this week, but not by far. And even though I'm reaaaaally not proud of myself, I'm still here. 

So W2 starts tomorrow and I'll try hard to make it better. When I started the challenge, I thought I would report once a week, but maybe it would help to come here more often to keep me grounded, and motivated.

Hope everyone has a great week :)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Super_Lili said:

maybe it would help to come here more often to keep me grounded, and motivated.

certainly seems to work that way for me, although I tend to report in daily (also some of my fellow Rangers' threads move so quick that trying to catch up on multiple days of posts is a nightmare LOL--for examples I cite wild wolf currently at 11 pages and tanktimus currently at 7 pages)

• Like 1

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

17 hours ago, bker1370 said:

certainly seems to work that way for me, although I tend to report in daily (also some of my fellow Rangers' threads move so quick that trying to catch up on multiple days of posts is a nightmare LOL--for examples I cite wild wolf currently at 11 pages and tanktimus currently at 7 pages)

So I'll try to follow your good example and come here often! At least to get me started :)

It was a good day: I managed to hide to... work. It was so quiet where I was, no interruption or anything, I did a lot of the outstanding stuff that made me anxious last week and now I feel better. Funny how you sometimes have to not show up at your workplace to do your own work :) Bonus: I did not feel completely drained when I came home tonight and so I was able to do a couple of chores that I did not have the energy to do this weekend.  Not having to interact with people all the time is a blessing for introverts ;) 

Lunch - Min. 3x/w: 0

Exercise - Min. 2x/w: 0

Meditate - Min. 4x/w: 1

No alcohol - Min. 6x/w: 1

• Like 1