RogueLibrarian in Hallo Spaceboy

This month I’m some kind of crazy space assassin? Like, an assassin, but on a spaceship though.

Look, there’s not gonna be much world-building with the theme this month. Just go with it and I’ll post some Mass Effect pictures and Bowie videos and stuff.

3786bde0c0e02264f830600555262323.jpg

Storage on a starship is at a premium, so I’m bringing nothing with me unless it’s essential. I was starting to stress myself out with how much I was tracking, and feeling like I had to up the ante and tack on something new each month. This challenge is an experiment in simplification, to see if I can keep the good habits going without as much record-keeping.

Strength workout of some kind 3x/week. Anything that includes push/pull/legs/core counts. Kickboxing class totally counts. I really want to work on my upper body strength and be able to do more and better pull-ups, so solo workouts are going to go heavier on push/pull.

Run once a week. Hopefully it’ll cool off enough to do more outdoor running during this challenge. If not, I’ll keep it going on treadmill or track or maybe substitute rowing once in a while.

Climb once a week. I've hardly done this all summer and I miss it. I can probably do some run/climb days.

Play guitar once a week. Five minutes counts. One song counts. Dorking around with Rocksmith on the Xbox counts. Just pick up the damn thing, tune it up, and play it at least once a week.

Attempt an NFA quest once a week. This has been fun. A few quests on the radar right now:

• Box jumps stuff
  • Wall handstand
  • 25 squats in 2 minutes
  • Beat the level 3 workout boss

Writing 3 hrs/week. Gotta keep this one going. Trying to get the book turned in this fall. It's easier when I can take a day to write at home, but I can't do that every week.

One thing I haven't included is a diet challenge this time -- I'm just having trouble coming up with a change that I want to make that I think I can do right now, and that I can quantify and track. 

Bonus points*

• Work out while on vacation this weekend
  • Work out during Dragoncon, Labor Day weekend
  • Build more on the backyard gym as soon as it's not hot as balls out

In the spirit of last month’s threat to do an all-Bowie challenge, we’ll kick it off with one of my all-time favorite workout tunes.

*there are no points

• Like 5

"We can be heroes"

I'm assuming you wrote up this challenge after some sleep, I'm also assuming this...

MKhdeSr.gif

Following along!

• Like 2

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

lovely!

(the points are dead!)

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Back from kickboxing class. I love how hard it pushes me. If I keep doing this for a year, I'm either going to be ripped or dead.

There's a mirror opposite our shower, and I've begun to think I'm starting to lose the rest of my spare tire. It's stubborn.

Finished the last of the Assassin's Creed Syndicate DLC and now I'm a bit sad.

I was going to take a post-kickboxing photo for you, but I was so beat I forgot. Instead, here's a post-dinner (spinach salad) photo.

TN7ebE2m.png

• Like 4

"We can be heroes"

Hola, amigos!

It's been a quiet week 0, because I've been crazy busy. Tomorrow we're heading for a 4-day trip to Memphis to see Graceland on Ms Rogue's birthday. 

I'm recalling that I got a cool set of TRX-style suspension exercise straps a couple of months ago and have barely used them because it's been too hot for outdoor exercise. Making a note for later in the challenge. Also, I haven't even looked for a place in my regular gym where I could use them indoors if I wanted. Suspension gear = very assassiny.

I'm not sure what the trip's going to do for the workout regimen. As always, travel and exercise is a little tricky. There's a hotel gym, and Ms R has suggested that she'll bring her running shoes and we'll go for a run at least once -- she wants to try Zombies Run. I'm going to bring my resistance bands as a workout option.

There will be the usual temptations of beer and unhealthy restaurant food, so I'll try to make some healthy choices while still relaxing and having some fun and not policing myself too much while on vacation. I'll have the same problem at Dragoncon in a couple of weeks....

• Like 4

"We can be heroes"

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Suspension gear = very assassiny.

So, Like, Anti-gravity workout?

image002.jpg

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I'm not sure what the trip's going to do for the workout regimen. As always, travel and exercise is a little tricky. There's a hotel gym, and Ms R has suggested that she'll bring her running shoes and we'll go for a run at least once -- she wants to try Zombies Run. I'm going to bring my resistance bands as a workout option.

There will be the usual temptations of beer and unhealthy restaurant food, so I'll try to make some healthy choices while still relaxing and having some fun and not policing myself too much while on vacation.

I'm sure you'll live up to the challenge! It's always hard, but the good thing about this is that you're already thinking ahead and preparing and honestly, like, the majority of people in the world today would just not worry about it on vacation. 

• Like 2

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

1 hour ago, Asa Pond said:

So, Like, Anti-gravity workout?

EXACTLY

1 hour ago, Asa Pond said:

It's always hard, but the good thing about this is that you're already thinking ahead and preparing and honestly, like, the majority of people in the world today would just not worry about it on vacation. 

That is true. And a half-assed attempt at eating healthy and exercising is still miles ahead of how I used to roll, especially on vacation. Much wisdom and perspective, AP, thanks.

• Like 1

"We can be heroes"

3 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

That is true. And a half-assed attempt at eating healthy and exercising is still miles ahead of how I used to roll, especially on vacation. Much wisdom and perspective, AP, thanks.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

Long-ass drive. I ate like a pig, very late lunch so I was starving. More specifically, I ate like a pig who really loves cheese and fried things. Three beers, but early to bed. Most exciting, Ms Rogue is going to try Zombies Run with me tomorrow. We're in a hotel across from a public park, and we picked out a running route for tomorrow morning first thing. It's her birthday weekend trip, so I was prepared to just give in and be slothful all weekend if she wanted, but I'm happy that that's not how we're going to roll.

Tours of Memphis planned and fun stuff to do picked out. Will take pictures at Graceland.

• Like 3

"We can be heroes"

I mean you're on vacation. Just enjoy it. :) 

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!