RogueLibrarian in Hallo Spaceboy

Pull-ups on vacation is a total boss move. And the walking! I'm always horrified at how sedentary my regular life is in comparison to vacation life.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 2

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Back from vacation. I did not actually gain weight, which is good. Fitness momentum maybe -- three days of eating like a pig did not undo eight months of progress.

Tried to go to the gym today, but again had no workout clothes in my locker. I usually have spares on hand, but vacation threw me off my routine.

Managed half an hour of writing progress today, but that's about it for challenge goal progress since I played catchup all day. It's the first week of the semester, so this is not unexpected.

Kickboxing class Saturday and sewing Dragoncon costumes this weekend. Just have to survive the return to work for a couple more days.

Ordered takeout Chinese when we got in from driving all day yesterday, not too unhealthy and at least not covered in melted cheese. Leftovers for lunch, Tonight, mushroom sandwiches for dinner, and going to the store to get stuff for a chopped vegetable salad for lunches this week. Black bean & spinach burritos for dinner tomorrow.

• Like 5

"We can be heroes"

17 hours ago, Cataleya said:

DO THIS I WILL LIVE VICARIOUSLY THROUGH YOU

I will certainly try it out at least once during this challenge and report back. 

I'm trying very hard not to get too down on myself for lack of challenge progress this week. I was traveling until Tuesday, it's the first week of the semester and heading into the busiest time of my working year, and I'm having to catch up on every work/home chore I didn't get done while on mini-vacation. Next week will be much the same, so I need to back the hell off the self-criticism, get to the gym as regularly as I can manage, and keep pushing forward.

A friend messaged me to tell me how great and in shape we looked in our Facebook vacation photos. Ms Rogue says she sees muscles starting to appear on me. My legs in particular are in great shape. 

The book is coming along. I wish I could take two weeks off to just work on it full time instead of grabbing an hour here and there, but we work with what we have. I keep making notes for ideas for new sections needed here and there, which is good because it's a second edition and I want to make sure there's enough new content, but also feels like I'm pushing the finish line farther away from myself. I also agreed to write another article that's due right after Dragoncon -- I really do not want more work, but they're paying me and I need the little drip of extra money.

Here's a Thane gif.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

"We can be heroes"

Self-acceptance is really hard - I totally understand where you are coming from. I'm trying new classes at my gym (ahem I mean working out with the other recruits) and am practically dying during them. I'm sitting there like, I can run 12 miles but can't do another squat????????????????? But then I remember that I am theredoing the thing and actively working to make my life and self better. 

You took a vacation with your wife to celebrate her, which is much more important than making progress during the first few days of a month long challenge. You worked out during that vacation which is super motivating for me coming up to mine next week. 

I don't mean to come off as a Polly-Anna, I just know what it feels like to get frustrated with a lack of significant progress and have been working on shifting my mindset a lot more. 

• Like 3

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

Today I should have time for a short gym break at last! 

I'm debating options:

A run/climb combo, as it'll Friday afternoon and maybe the climbing wall won't be swamped as it often is for the first few weeks of the semester

or 

A light strength workout, which I'm overdue for. 

Either one has to be a light workout, because kickboxing class is tomorrow and I won't make it through that if I don't take care today.

• Like 4

"We can be heroes"

Run in place, 10 burpees then climb! Rinse and repeat?

• Like 2

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

I did something not too far off. Naturally, I chose "everything" as the answer. (I will never voluntarily choose burpees.)

A little upper body weight workout, a mile run on the track, and a few minutes of bouldering. I've decided I want to actually learn how to boulder a little bit, instead of just going to the bouldering room and clambering.

2QKnn.jpg

• Like 4

"We can be heroes"

31 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I've decided I want to actually learn how to boulder a little bit, instead of just going to the bouldering room and clambering.

To bad we don't live anywhere near each other I have been looking into the exact same thing.  For me most of the good gyms for climbing/bouldering are over an hour away without traffic.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Myrik said:

To bad we don't live anywhere near each other I have been looking into the exact same thing.  For me most of the good gyms for climbing/bouldering are over an hour away without traffic.

I'm lucky -- I have a climbing wall and bouldering room five minutes from my office at my work gym, and my membership costs practically nothing. I haven't managed an actual full wall climb since they reopened for the semester -- End of August / beginning of September at my gym is like January at most gyms. But the students will drift away and leave me to it soon.

• Like 2

"We can be heroes"

1 minute ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I'm lucky -- I have a climbing wall and bouldering room five minutes from my office at my work gym, and my membership costs practically nothing. I haven't managed an actual full wall climb since they reopened for the semester -- End of August / beginning of September at my gym is like January at most gyms. But the students will drift away and leave me to it soon.

That's awesome.  Maybe I can find a forum group in Houston that knows of no name gyms in my area that Google wont find.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Remind me not to work out on Friday when I'm going to take kickboxing on Saturday.

Mass-Effect-3-3.jpg

sooo much pain all over

No pain no gain???

At least you know you are alive.

• Like 1

Okay, time to tally up week 1.

Strength workout 2/3

Run 1/1

Climb 1/1 -- I'll give myself credit for a short bouldering session, as the goal this month is just to get back in the habit.

Guitar 0/1

Academy quests 0/1 -- I did the level 3 boss before the challenge started, but.

Writing 1.5 / 3

Not an auspicious start due to vacation, and the next two weeks aren't looking promising due to Dragoncon Thurs-Mon, and I'm extremely overworked into the bargain. Back into the fray, though.

• Like 5

"We can be heroes"

You last part of this post reminded me of the poem from The Grey

"Once more into the fray, Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day."

I would say given everything going on this last week, you did a bang-up job.  Next week will only be better right.

• Like 2

Good Monday, sassy assassins.

Today's gym workout, modified from Academy 4a:

3x30 second mountain climbers

3 rounds of: 

Squat x10

Divebomber pushup x5 (pretty sure I'm not quite doing these right yet)

Assisted pull-up x10 with 30 lbs counterweight

Hanging leg raise 2x10 (the knee-up version, not the feet-up version)

Enjoy Captain Kirk's gym pants.

h1tpNyB.jpg

• Like 5

"We can be heroes"

Rest day. I'll try to get out and take a walk after my afternoon meeting. SO MUCH to get done before friends arrive for Dragoncon on Thursday. I'm beat.

I'm down 25 pounds from when I started in January. Ms Rogue says I've completely lost my beer gut. I'm not sure I agree, but it's a lot closer to gone than it used to be.

• Like 6

"We can be heroes"

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Rest day. I'll try to get out and take a walk after my afternoon meeting. SO MUCH to get done before friends arrive for Dragoncon on Thursday. I'm beat.

I'm down 25 pounds from when I started in January. Ms Rogue says I've completely lost my beer gut. I'm not sure I agree, but it's a lot closer to gone than it used to be.

Congratulations! 

• Like 1

Assassin

**Challenges**

Current Challenge: Black Daiquiri is Wonder Woman

Battle Log: Black Daiquiri battles the pink robots

Previous: 1514 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 76 | 5 | 4 | 321