Manarelle structures her free time

Manarelle

For the first time in 3-4 years, I will not be taking a class this semester, so my schedule just blew wide open. Typically, it takes about 2-3 days for me to get confused by free time, and start whining about how bored I am despite a plethora of things to do, forsaken responsibilities, and stuff I've said I want to get done "when I have time." The next few challenges will focus on giving me things I HAVE to do, so I don't come to the end of my break and have nothing to show for it. 

Goals to complete this challenge (all are pass/fail):

• Make at least one wearable skirt: Kilted or gathered, it must be completely wearable. 
  • Restructure my weights workout (see life goal): Figure out which steps of the life goal to work on first and add or sub them to my workoutDone!
  • Install a border along the fence: Every time I water the back garden, it just rolls off into next door's yard. I got a border to fix that, it just needs placed. 
  • Find and schedule a Russian tutor: Duolingo is great, but with no other classes, I can ramp this up. Research and schedule at least the first meeting. 
  • Prepare for our trip and go on it: My gentleman and I are going on our first ever vacation to London and Ireland, leaving September 11. I have a lengthy list of things to do to prep for it. They must all be done, and not the night before we leave. 

Long-term goals to complete before next class:

• Measure the back porch/stairs and make plans to close it in: My fruit trees/bushes need a place to winter over. 
  • Create a plan for the strawberry bed in the big garden: I am not happy with the current layout; would like to add tiers, stepping stones, and ground cover to prevent weeds.
  • Make at least three wearable skirts: I WANT KILTS!!!!

Measurable life goal:

• I finally found out what the below move is called, and have made it my goal to be able to do a pike to handstand or press handstand. I recognize that I have a lot of work to do to get here, but I have a goal! There are lots of helpful sites out there with tips on what to work on and how, and my first step is to sort through them and come up with a working plan (see current goal #2). Allowing for a lot of mistakes, I hope to do this by the time I'm 40 (3.5 years). 

Rewards:

• 80% done: I can order 1 new fruit tree for spring 2017.
  • 100% done: I can order 3 new fruit trees or 2 trees and another berry bush. (Yes, my goal is to have a dwarf orchard). 

I realize that I am often super ambitious and schedule way too much to do, but since I still seemed to get lots of stuff done while I was taking classes and working.... I'm going to go for it. Failing all else, it will give me a better idea of how much I can accomplish for the next challenge. As per usual, my running and weights workouts, healthy eating goals, and parkour classes will be going on in the background. Ok, enough talking, here's my life goal:

• Like 8

Manarelle the Level 54 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

That is an impressive handstand! Following along. 

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

Fitocracy  GoodReads

HFC for Life!

No grass growing under my feet... Goal #2 is tentatively complete. Tentative because if I try it and it doesn't work, it'll get tweaked. Woot!

Edit: minor tweaks, but I think it's good now. Not a chance at crow pose, dropped to half-boat. I'll get there!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, SirDreamalot said:

Here to watch some awesomeness happen. It already seems well underway.

Thanks. I realized that I'll be gone for the last week of the challenge, so this is kind of my 1st week. 

Goal #3 is halfway done! I installed the border where the water was running off, and I can already tell it works (the water is staying at the roots instead of washing all my dirt into next door's yard). Due to fading sunlight and unexpectedly vigorous weed roots, however, I wasn't able to finish it. I know if I mark it off for having addressed the water issue, I will never get back to it and complete it, though, so it's still open. 

Changed my hourly stretches at work to focus on the hamstrings, which appear to be an integral part of the pike/press beginning, so working on those. I'd like to think I've made progress, but I'm probably fooling myself. Also happened upon some links about anterior tilting of the hips,and how to fix it. I have mild overcurvature of the lower spine, so I added those stretches and tweaks to my workout. It'll be interesting to see how that affects things. 

In unrelated news, I get to go to the big garden tomorrow and see how it's doing, and I ordered boots for out Ireland trip. Final thing to squee about: I got an A in my class! Still rocking a 4.0 GPA with two classes to go! Woot! Now to work out and (hopefully) pass the heck out for a solid night's sleep!

• Like 8

Apparently this is the challenge where I talk nonstop instead of lurking. I might be a little excited about having free time and getting things done.

Since this is kind of the end of my week 1, here's a check-in:

• Skirt:This is next. 
  • Restructure workout: Done!
  • Fence border: Done!
  • Russian tutor: Not yet, although I did start learning hiragana and katakana. Does that count? :) 
  • Trip: This is progressing. I ordered walking boots this week, and have been breaking them in today. Might need different insoles, but I think they'll work. Next up: get packing organizers, make a list of what I need to pack, and make sure I have enough of everything to last a 2-week trip. Are laundromats common in Ireland?

For the life goal, the new workout is going well (though tiring), and I'm making improvement on hamstring flexibility. Next week (I alternate workouts per week), I will be working on handstands, hip flexors, and (unrelated) flexed arm hangs for pull-ups. Here's to keeping my momentum on getting things done!

Back yard garden with border and weedblocker, to prep for winter. The sweet potatoes are helping keep it in place til everything else is done and I can cover the whole growing area. There's one section of border missing on the left behind the basil  because the watermelon is growing up the fence. It will be added this winter.

14079882_10209159428656631_2196672823349

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Fenyx said:

Yay Japanese!! And boots! Which are hella cute by the way. You're doing fantastic and building up some good steam to plow ahead with!

Nah, plowing happens in the spring (badum tss!). I was debating on adding more items to the list, but I suspect that skirt is going to derail me. I'm still hanging on to my dread of sewing from back when I was doing it as a side job, and it got onerous. Tomorrow! Tomorrow I will at least pull out the pattern, cut it to my size (let's not make that mistake again), and either cut out fabric or get fabric to make it with. Just gotta break it down into smaller steps. I can do this. 

• Like 3

Hi @Maranelle!

I love your challenge - I totally sympathise with having issues with free time. Me + nothing to work for = much bad news. But yay for goals and things to work for!

Also, I love your garden! 

Following for the awesome. Also for the London. (Because I live in London (as of 3 years ago), and love people's reaction to my new hometown... :) )

• Like 2

I love your garden, totally jealous of your sweet potatoes. :) 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

Fitocracy  GoodReads

HFC for Life!

On 8/21/2016 at 3:56 AM, stonegirl78 said:

I love your challenge - I totally sympathise with having issues with free time. Me + nothing to work for = much bad news. But yay for goals and things to work for!

Also, I love your garden! 

Following for the awesome. Also for the London. (Because I live in London (as of 3 years ago), and love people's reaction to my new hometown... :) )

Oh yeah, past free time has lead to being a lump in front of the computer and getting nothing done. Gotta break that habit! I've been to London before (long ago, 2001, I think?), but I'm excited to see a new section and try new things. And see the formal gardens. /drool.

On 8/21/2016 at 1:58 AM, Silent J said:

It's looking good! Great to see you getting those goals done quickly. And loving the garden by the way! What are you growing in it?

The backyard garden (shown above) is currently just watermelon, asparagus, couple kinds of basil, zucchini (done - was where the sweet potatoes are now), tomatoes (mostly done), peppers, another kind of basil, and a kiwifruit vine, from left to right. Offscreen, to the left, are blueberries, raspberries, one blackberry, an experimental clementine, a christmas tree, an apple tree, and a cherry tree. 

The big garden (way too many pictures are here, if you're that bored), has rhubarb, watermelon, cantaloupe, pumpkins, grapes (not producing yet), more raspberries and blueberries, tomatoes, peppers, edamame, peas, beans, bok choi (done now), radishes, peanuts, a couple carrots, garlic, potatoes, and strawberries. I think that's it. Maybe some herbs I forgot were there. The cukes failed miserably, and although the edamame grew hugely, we don't really know when to harvest or (in my case) what to do with it, so probably won't grow it again next year. I keep trying to find veggies that my gentleman will eat, and he keeps saying he will but then not eating them, so heck with it- it's going to be a fruit garden!

On the goals front, I did get everything cut out for the skirt this weekend (except interfacing, which I do not have). Let's see if I can actually sew it this week!

• Like 3

Following back! Good luck with all that free time!

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

On 2016-08-22 at 8:32 AM, Manarelle said:

The backyard garden (shown above) is currently just watermelon, asparagus, couple kinds of basil, zucchini (done - was where the sweet potatoes are now), tomatoes (mostly done), peppers, another kind of basil, and a kiwifruit vine, from left to right. Offscreen, to the left, are blueberries, raspberries, one blackberry, an experimental clementine, a christmas tree, an apple tree, and a cherry tree. 

The big garden (way too many pictures are here, if you're that bored), has rhubarb, watermelon, cantaloupe, pumpkins, grapes (not producing yet), more raspberries and blueberries, tomatoes, peppers, edamame, peas, beans, bok choi (done now), radishes, peanuts, a couple carrots, garlic, potatoes, and strawberries. I think that's it. Maybe some herbs I forgot were there. The cukes failed miserably, and although the edamame grew hugely, we don't really know when to harvest or (in my case) what to do with it, so probably won't grow it again next year. I keep trying to find veggies that my gentleman will eat, and he keeps saying he will but then not eating them, so heck with it- it's going to be a fruit garden!

On the goals front, I did get everything cut out for the skirt this weekend (except interfacing, which I do not have). Let's see if I can actually sew it this week!

Oh wow! You got a big garden! I admire that! I hope to start a fruit and veggie garden too once I have my own place.

And Kiwifruit? What kind of climate do you live in that you can grow that in your backyard? Tropical I presume?

And good luck on the sewing goals this week!

• Like 1

"Following your dream is like learning a foreign language; you will make mistakes but you will get there in the end" - Paul Coelho (The Alchemist)

My Current Challenge

Growing as a Christian while becoming a skilled Assassin/Ranger

I was totally in for sewing, and then you threw in that cool handstand too! :)

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

15 hours ago, Silent J said:

Oh wow! You got a big garden! I admire that! I hope to start a fruit and veggie garden too once I have my own place.

And Kiwifruit? What kind of climate do you live in that you can grow that in your backyard? Tropical I presume?

And good luck on the sewing goals this week!

I am very grateful for the garden space (and that the gentleman doesn't mind me turning lawn into garden). So apparently kiwifruit is different than kiwi in that they're smaller, grow on a vine, less fuzzy, and the plant can survive near-arctic temperatures (I'm in Maryland, US). Supposedly they taste the same though, so we'll see!

7 hours ago, karinajean said:

I was totally in for sewing, and then you threw in that cool handstand too! :)

Hahaha, thanks. We'll see if I can ever do that. My hamstrings and handstands are getting better already, but I suspect I have a looooong ways to go!

• Like 4

Put together the skirt part of the skirt last night. I changed the pleats a little, but otherwise took my time and followed the instructions. Turns out I do not have interfacing, so I will need to get that and a zipper before I can add the waistband. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it so far, although it doesn't have nearly the number of pleats that will be in the kilts. This is more a trial run of the waistband concept before I completely overhaul the pattern and use quality tartan fabric.

In other news, trip planning has begun, I almost broke a 14-minute mile last night (14:02, grumble, grumble), and this weekend is parkour again! I believe we will be doing rail work, so we'll see if all my shoulder exercises will pay off. I will be taking extra care at this class and the one right before we leave to make sure I don't break myself again right before the trip. Overall, not a bad week/weekend!

• Like 5

I realize this is mostly unrelated to my goals but really now... Every time I try to add bench press/chest press (using barbells) to my routine, my one shoulder starts popping, then hurting, and if I push it, it cramps up. I've tried putting the bench at an incline and flat, I've tried pushing straight up and up and forward, and I've changed the angle from hips to shoulder to elbow (i.e. bringing elbows in closer) but it just keeps happening. I really like the feel (is there a better word?) of the movement on the biceps and pecs, but I don't want to mess up my shoulder every stupid time. I started with 15 lbs on each hand, did an easy set of 15 reps, and bumped it up to 17.5 lbs. Immediate pops and warning soreness. :( Any thoughts on what is going wrong?

In more related news, I managed a 4-5 second float on my handstands tonight! I even remembered to breathe while it happened (there might have been a "woo hoo" even). Progress! 

• Like 4

Congrats on the handstand! And on breathing...!

Concerning your shoulder: I have no idea. But I have similar problems in my right knee. It's because of the cartilage wearing of. The best way to find out is going to a doctor (obviously). Have you any problems in your shoulder while moving your arm without weights? If so, you may only have to strengthen your muscles and tendons in your shoulder.

• Like 2

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log