Assembling a Scholar Ranger Corps

Hi Rangers! I'm Sky Elvenword and I am here with an invitation!

As part of my first Rebel challenge, I created a backstory for my character, in which she discovers her true identity as the daughter of two visionary scholars who died trying to bring enlightenment to a backward people. She joins a group of Rangers who also happen to be students or scholars; and together they are going back to the savage borderlands and try again to bring education and progress to these people (actually hobbits).

I was thinking about this story last night at 1AM, and I started wondering if any of my fellow college / university / graduate students here on NF would be interested in forming a loosely coalesced "Scholar Ranger Corps". I have no expectations that this would involve any extra duties or challenges; but we could put it in our signature lines if we liked, and have a thread in each challenge where we supported each other's quests to pursue health/fitness and academic achievement at the same time. Eventually we could figure out a way to work this into our challenges if people were interested.

What do you think? Would anyone like to create a Scholar Ranger Corps?

Gentleman+and+Lady.jpg

• Like 4

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 47

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

Is this your challenge thread or a discussion? Either way I'm following.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Count me in! I'm about to go into my final year of undergraduate study... but there's a nagging feeling in me that I may go for a Masters afterwards. I'm definitely a Scholar and a Ranger :D 

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

I'll take part, I'm currently going for a Bachelor of Science in computer science.

• Like 1

No risk, no reward

Current Challenge: Andrees in Shifting Sand Land

14 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

I was thinking about this story last night at 1AM, and I started wondering if any of my fellow college / university / graduate students here on NF would be interested in forming a loosely coalesced "Scholar Ranger Corps".

I'm halfway to an EnviroSci degree.  More of a Warrior-Poet type anyways.  :P

39124bd4d05f955c3b88377e6ccea064.jpg

• Like 4

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Is this your challenge thread or a discussion? Either way I'm following.

Hmm, I'm not sure - can you clarify the difference for me? If it would be more appropriate to put this in a different place, I'm totally good with that.

8 hours ago, Andrees said:

I'll take part, I'm currently going for a Bachelor of Science in computer science.

Welcome friend! Your technology skills will be crucial in helping the people of the borderlands improve their homes and businesses!  *medieval-style fistbump*

8 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

I'm halfway to an EnviroSci degree.  More of a Warrior-Poet type anyways.  :P

39124bd4d05f955c3b88377e6ccea064.jpg

Honored to have you in our corps, Rurik! The people of this land are primarily farmers, using primitive, antiquated methods - perhaps you can use your knowledge to make sure their ecosystem is healthy?

12 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Count me in! I'm about to go into my final year of undergraduate study... but there's a nagging feeling in me that I may go for a Masters afterwards. I'm definitely a Scholar and a Ranger :D 

I unofficially encourage you to go for your Master's degree if you're in anything but a very hands-on field like construction technology ... and even in that case, you'd get promoted quicker if you got your Master's. Just sayin'. Reference: 10 years of being in and out of college ...

Oh yes, and WELCOME to the corps!! I wouldn't want to undertake this journey without you!

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

9 minutes ago, SkyGirl said:

If it would be more appropriate to put this in a different place, I'm totally good with that.

Kinda sounds like a ranger accountabilibuddies group! But I think this is a totally appropriate place. 

Good luck to all the scholars! <3 

• Like 2

Level 2 Drow Ranger

I walk alone, but the shadows are company enough.

8 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

I unofficially encourage you to go for your Master's degree if you're in anything but a very hands-on field like construction technology ... and even in that case, you'd get promoted quicker if you got your Master's. Just sayin'. Reference: 10 years of being in and out of college ...

Oh yes, and WELCOME to the corps!! I wouldn't want to undertake this journey without you!

Thanks. My chosen field is history though, so its more for the love of the subject than career prospects. I have no idea what career I want lol :D 

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

16 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Hmm, I'm not sure - can you clarify the difference for me? If it would be more appropriate to put this in a different place, I'm totally good with that.

You hadn't posted any goals so I wasn't sure if you were intending for this to be your 4WC thread or just a discussion about Scholar Rangers.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 8/19/2016 at 5:17 AM, Rhovaniel said:

Thanks. My chosen field is history though, so its more for the love of the subject than career prospects. I have no idea what career I want lol :D 

Yet another comforting "me too!" moment ... this summer I have dared to explore the idea of becoming a professional writer for the first time, but the "shut up you need to make money" voice in my head is rather against it, so I'm in a bit of limbo myself.  :-)  History is fabulous and I think it's awesome that you're studying it! Do you have a favorite era that you might want to study more in grad school? (I'm partial to the Roman Empire and World War II, myself!)

23 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You hadn't posted any goals so I wasn't sure if you were intending for this to be your 4WC thread or just a discussion about Scholar Rangers.

This is just a discussion about Scholar Rangers ... I'm building my next challenge as we speak! Sometime could you help me figure out how to make this into an acountabilibuddies group or some appropriate group-like structure? I'm still new to forum protocol ...  :-)

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

24 minutes ago, SkyGirl said:

This is just a discussion about Scholar Rangers ... I'm building my next challenge as we speak! Sometime could you help me figure out how to make this into an acountabilibuddies group or some appropriate group-like structure? I'm still new to forum protocol ...  :-)

YOu could just PM Dark_Raider or Rurik and ask them to move this thread to the Accountabilibuddies secton.

• Like 1

Here is our current Scholar Ranger Corps roster:

@SkyGirl

@Rhovaniel

@Andrees

@Rurik Harrgath

Friends, I want to welcome you to our fellowship and thank you for joining me in my quest. Our goal is to become the strongest scholars and rangers that we can be, in order to bring light, knowledge, hope, and peace to all people who need it - to my fictional borderland people, to our fellow Rangers and the scholars from other guilds on NF, and especially to the people in our real lives who desperately need truth and hope. Through the study and application of our individual subjects and the growth and discipline we acquire at NF, we can defeat ignorance and darkness and change our world for the better.

Let us commence our journey. (And if we can be as fab as Legolas, that's a great bonus.)

giphy.gif

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

2 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

YOu could just PM Dark_Raider or Rurik and ask them to move this thread to the Accountabilibuddies secton.

Awesome, I'll do that once the challenge gets started next week. Thanks! And thanks for following!  :-)

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

1 hour ago, SkyGirl said:

Yet another comforting "me too!" moment ... this summer I have dared to explore the idea of becoming a professional writer for the first time, but the "shut up you need to make money" voice in my head is rather against it, so I'm in a bit of limbo myself.  :-)  History is fabulous and I think it's awesome that you're studying it! Do you have a favorite era that you might want to study more in grad school? (I'm partial to the Roman Empire and World War II, myself!)

Professional writer would be a dream, but like you, I have a desire to actually make a living lol. I have so many areas of interest in History. Classical Greece, Georgian England, most areas of Naval history.... I'm taking a few classes in bodies and sexuality during the Early modern period which are really interesting. Gruesome, but interesting. Their medical textbooks have the most horrific illustrations... 

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests:

Okay, corps, time to check in - how are classes going (if you've started)? Does it look like it's going to be a busy semester? What is the biggest challenge you're facing so far?

@Rhovaniel, @Andrees, @Rurik Harrgath

(Also, Rurik, when you have time, could you please move this thread to the Accountabilibuddies section, please? Thanks a bunch!)

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

2 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

(Also, Rurik, when you have time, could you please move this thread to the Accountabilibuddies section, please? Thanks a bunch!)

Thank you sir!!

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

13 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Okay, corps, time to check in - how are classes going (if you've started)? Does it look like it's going to be a busy semester? What is the biggest challenge you're facing so far?

I'm not in school, but I'm now dating a High School Spanish Teacher. She says classes are going well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm not in school, but I'm now dating a High School Spanish Teacher. She says classes are going well.

That's great! High schoolers are in such a special time of life and I love people who want to work with them - please tell her that I hope she and the kids have a wonderful school year!

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

I'm back in the land of wifi! School for me doesnt start till the 26th of September but that just means I jave a month of preparation for my dissertation lol. Back in the uni library (or LRC, whatever they want to call it!) tomorrow!

How is everyone else doing?

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests:

Things are going very well.  I just updated my challenge to include a shout-out to youz guys. It's probably the first class I've taken that I've actually understood and enjoyed. I actually look forward to researching it to learn more.  I've...............never had that happen before.

• Like 1

No risk, no reward

I am in-- I did my first challenge back in November. One of keys to my success is talking things out with others and Accountabilibuddies.

I have reached out for buddies 3-5 times without success...

My current commitment  (that I am asking you buddies to hold me accountable for) is Weekly check ins here (Monday morning)

I am not in school but am always learning and teaching others. (Ok really i am here for the ranger-ness and to be held accountable)

Last week: I was out of town on vacation so  a little low:

1. i had 222 of 180 min of activity only 85 was work out minuets
  2. I did not track any meals
  3. I only did daily review 0-1 times

Most of my daily wins are on twitter (@DNA3e8)

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Week #0Food logging: ☑☑☑ Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Week #1Food logging:  Movement☐☐☐☐

Week #2Food logging:  Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Week #3Food logging: ☐☐☐ Movement☐☐☐

Week #4Food logging: ☐☐☐☐☐ Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Previous challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #4.5 #5

Level 3 Lycan Ranger

Workout audiobook: Patriot Games

Looking for accountability buddies: Strava My FitnessPal Moov Google Fit

19 hours ago, Vizzini said:

I am in-- I did my first challenge back in November. One of keys to my success is talking things out with others and Accountabilibuddies.

I have reached out for buddies 3-5 times without success...

My current commitment  (that I am asking you buddies to hold me accountable for) is Weekly check ins here (Monday morning)

I am not in school but am always learning and teaching others. (Ok really i am here for the ranger-ness and to be held accountable)

Last week: I was out of town on vacation so  a little low:

1. i had 222 of 180 min of activity only 85 was work out minuets
  2. I did not track any meals
  3. I only did daily review 0-1 times

Most of my daily wins are on twitter (@DNA3e8)

I don't see anything wrong with joining without being in school.  I would like to say however that along with keeping yourself accountable for weekly check-ins that you might consider making a concrete challenge for yourself to learning new things consistently.  You already mentioned that you like to learn and teach.  Say for example learn a new fact you're interested in each day.  Or if everyday is too much make it every other day or weekly.  And above all make it fun or go full-nerd and make a quest of it.  I look forward to this group growing.

• Like 1

No risk, no reward

Okay, today's scholarly challenge: Figure out what the hell I need to do to save my dissertation! I mean, technically, I'm not back at uni yet, but we were supposed to have our topics, and a plan for researching and writing them, done by now. And I did. But the letter wasn't as forthcoming as I'd expected and I hate to say it, but I picked my topic because I was pressured to pick something fast. And now my enthusiasm has waned and I've lost a lot of time. So, I need to figure out how to get my passion back, and find a sustainable line of enquiry. My plan for achieving that is to pack myself a healthy lunch, a big bottle of water, and head to the uni library, with a list of books pulled from the online directory that I can skim through, based broadly on things that interest me. Make notes, see what the professionals have studied and hope I can see a viable gap or angle of approach to look at. Time to hit the books with my ranger head on! (Just not the DO ALL THE THINGS head on, because that would not be good. I can't do multiple dissertations lol)

maxresdefault.jpg 

• Like 2

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests:

I worked 11 hours. I used 'the sun has gone down so it isn't safe to bike' excuse. I kind of got to bed early... So I can bike in the morning.

Bite size baby steps

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Week #0Food logging: ☑☑☑ Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Week #1Food logging:  Movement☐☐☐☐

Week #2Food logging:  Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Week #3Food logging: ☐☐☐ Movement☐☐☐

Week #4Food logging: ☐☐☐☐☐ Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Previous challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #4.5 #5

Level 3 Lycan Ranger

Workout audiobook: Patriot Games

Looking for accountability buddies: Strava My FitnessPal Moov Google Fit

Hi scholar-rangers! It's been a few days so I was just wondering: how is everybody doing? Hope we're all having a good start to our week three. 

@SkyGirl how is the PhD planning going and what are you studying? Im so curious!

I have my first meeting with my dissertation supervisor tomorrow, so hopefully I can update soon with some positive news of my own :) 

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests: