Gryffinkat's [title of challenge]

gryffinkat

I have no idea what to call this challenge. I've been (1) on vacation and (2) nasty sick for the last 4-5 weeks, so I've been completely out of the game. But I'm back home now, 99% over my illness, and seriously feeling the need to get back on track with my goals.

Food

3d9d88dd62840e220c7a8258e1f3105cb1071682

Mmmm, choucroute garnie!

1. Eat 75 g protein daily.

According to several articles I've recently read, I should be getting about 150 g of protein. I don't think I'm anywhere near that, so I will use this month to work on improving my awareness of my protein intake by at least getting to half of that goal. I'm especially looking forward to making homemade choucroute garnie (pictured above) and beef jerky.

2. Keep food out of my bedroom.

I have a terrible habit of keeping food (especially sweets and chocolates) in my room. It makes it incredibly easy for me to eat sugary snacks first thing in the morning and last thing at night, which is clearly not a good thing. Plus, it means that I'm eating in solitude at those times, which seems like it's probably creating psychological pathways that aren't healthy, either.

Fitness

unnamed-41.jpg

Inchworms. I freakin' love these things!

3. Walk 15 mins daily.

Specifically, use lunch time to do this on workdays, in order to get some sun exposure. Incidental walking does not count.

4. Work out 3x weekly.

Going back to Level 2 of the Academy workouts, since I've been out of the game for a while now. At least 2 of these per week, plus at least one running session.

Life

cartwheel-how-to-cheer.png

I vaguely recall being able to do these. At one time. Probably not very well.

5. Write 100 words daily.

This can be any kind of writing: thesis, blogging, personal, specific projects. The point of this is to establish a daily habit of writing.

6. Write a Manifesto for my life.

Happier-style, with short, 4-5 word phrases. Include one for Adventuring, one for Wellness, two for career (Actual and Desired).

7. Practice cartwheels 4 times.

At least once a week, go out into the back garden (on the nice, soft grass) and practice cartwheels. Use GMB Fitness's cartwheel tutorial as a guide.

Protein: 1 pt per day = 28 possible pts

Walk: 1 pt per day = 28

Work out: 2 pts each = 24

Write: 1 pt per day = 28

Food out of bedroom: 3 pts

Cartwheels: 2 pts each = 8

Manifesto: 5 pts

---------------------------------------------

TOTAL possible points = 124

• Like 3

Current Challenge: Aug 2016 ~ My Epic Quest

Walk to Mordor: Hobbiton to Rivendell (458/458, arrived 27 April 2016)

Rivendell to Lothlorien (351.11/462)

14 hours ago, Leigh said:

Could go with the LotR thing since you're walking to Mordor and go with "One does not simple inchworm into Mordor" or Cartwheel in :P

Lol!! I am already in the Walk to Mordor accountabilibuddy group, so that would work. Only thing is ... I don't really love LotR that much. I'd have to get myself excited about it. But I absolutely love the suggestion, thanks!

4 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

While I could totally see the hobbits cartwheeling by the time they hit Mordor, I'm thinking inchworms would have severely lengthened the trip....

That's true. But you have to admit that "One does not simply inchworm into Mordor" has a great ring to it! :)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

What a fun challenge! :D  I'll be following, and not just for choucroute (yum)! 

I agree! Can't wait for that choucroute. And how exciting to find someone else who's familiar with it! :) Thanks for the support!

• Like 1

Having given it much thought, I've decided I quite like the title [title of challenge]. So I'm sticking with it, at least for this challenge. But I'm working on a theme for the next one, so something to look forward to. 

I didn't really prepare properly for this challenge, so I'm not sure I'll make my protein quota for the day. But I'm not far off, in any case, and I'm already learning more about the amount of protein in non-meat sources (i.e., fruit & veg). Not much in those sources, but it can still help get me over the finish line in a pinch. ;)

The other goals are coming along fine so far, and I'll be making up my standard sticker-based tracking sheet to stick up on my mirror before I go to bed.

kermit-the-frog-yay-gif-clipart-free-cli

Nothing like a little encouragement from Kermit.

• Like 4

On 8/18/2016 at 5:32 PM, gryffinkat said:

I'm especially looking forward to making homemade choucroute garnie (pictured above) and beef jerky.

never heard of this and it looks good as hell

On 8/18/2016 at 5:32 PM, gryffinkat said:

Plus, it means that I'm eating in solitude at those times, which seems like it's probably creating psychological pathways that aren't healthy, either.

oh yeah. Trust me, it's not.

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 6:03 PM, gryffinkat said:

I didn't really prepare properly for this challenge, so I'm not sure I'll make my protein quota for the day. But I'm not far off, in any case, and I'm already learning more about the amount of protein in non-meat sources (i.e., fruit & veg). Not much in those sources, but it can still help get me over the finish line in a pinch. ;)

I just realised that whilst you're trying to increase your protein intake to 75 grams, I'm finding it quite difficult to keep mine down to the same number!  It's almost impossible for me to eat 3 normal (low carb) meals and not reach 90 grams - 2 eggs for breakfast, some fish/meat in a salad for lunch (a sprinkle of seeds too),  chicken/steak for dinner with veggies and maybe some cheese... poof! :D OK, I know I have a problem with portion control!

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

4 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

I just realised that whilst you're trying to increase your protein intake to 75 grams, I'm finding it quite difficult to keep mine down to the same number!  It's almost impossible for me to eat 3 normal (low carb) meals and not reach 90 grams - 2 eggs for breakfast, some fish/meat in a salad for lunch (a sprinkle of seeds too),  chicken/steak for dinner with veggies and maybe some cheese... poof! :D OK, I know I have a problem with portion control!

Wow, this is truly inspiring. And helpful. I was just thinking about this aspect of my challenge today and wondering if it was really possible for people to eat 150g of protein per day (which is about where mine 'should' be). So it's great to know that it's not that much of a stretch.

I'm a huge fan of meat, so that's not really a problem for me. The biggest problem, actually, is that I tend not to prep or cook meals quite consistently and when I'm pressed for something quick and easy to eat, I still tend to go with SAD crap, like burgers or pizza. All those carbs tend to get in the way of protein. ;) Plus, I don't do too great with dairy, so I'm probably not as likely to throw in some cheese when others would be.

Part of my plan here is to start making crock-pot roasts every week and then work on eating it up throughout the week, along with a few other meals. I think that will do the trick.

• Like 2

So a few challenges ago, I did some research and found some articles that eluded to the fact that for some people 0.8 - 1.2 g of protein (which I'm thinking is where you got the 150g) isn't necessary. It's dependent on your fitness goals and lifestyle. I'll see if I can find the articles (and if I can link them - I've got access to some journals that aren't free reading). So don't stress out over 150 g! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

So a few challenges ago, I did some research and found some articles that eluded to the fact that for some people 0.8 - 1.2 g of protein (which I'm thinking is where you got the 150g) isn't necessary. It's dependent on your fitness goals and lifestyle. I'll see if I can find the articles (and if I can link them - I've got access to some journals that aren't free reading). So don't stress out over 150 g! 

Thanks, Sylvaa. I found some similar articles, which is why I'm not stressing too much about 150g for the time being. But even those articles suggested, by their evidence and conclusions, that I should probably be eating more protein than I am. Plus, by focusing on protein, that tends to automatically reduce my icky-carb intake (like sugars and refined flours). I am always up for more reading on these kinds of topics, though, so anything you can throw at me is most welcome!

• Like 1

Week 1 of this challenge was, well, a challenge for me. And I didn't quite rise to it. I only garnered 12 points (out of a possible 27) and didn't work out a single time. Part of that was because both of my housemates were out of town and I was on my own all week, which kind of made me feel like I was still on vacation. So I sat around at home and crocheted all week instead of getting out and really working on anything important. (Granted, the blanket I'm crocheting is for charity, so that's not un-important. But still.)

I did make choucroute garnie, and it was delicious!! I also practiced handstands, which was ... "ridiculous" may be the best word for it. But I did do it, and that's what matters.

Battle Report: August 21–27

Food

1. Eat 75 g protein daily. = 4 PTS

Fitness

3. Walk 15 mins daily. = 3 PTS

Specifically, use lunch time to do this on workdays, in order to get some sun exposure. Incidental walking does not count.

4. Work out 3x weekly. = 0 PTS

Life

5. Write 100 words daily. = 4 PTS

7. Practice cartwheels 4 times. = 1 PT

TOTAL points = 12

• Like 3

This week went better, at least. My biggest improvement, I feel, was that I actually worked out. I only got two, instead of three, but that was a huuuge deal right now! I've been all but sedentary for the last couple of months while I was visiting family, and I was ridiculously sore from the first workout this week. So I skipped the middle one before finishing up with workout #2. It feels good to be more active again and I'm feeling ready to step it up this week for my full three workouts. Plus, I'm certain that I would not have made this progress this quickly after such a long hiatus if not for these challenges, so it's been a great reminder about why I do these. :)

Battle Report: August 28 – September 3

Food

1. Eat 75 g protein daily. = 7 PTS

Fitness

3. Walk 15 mins daily. = 4 PTS

4. Work out 3x weekly. = 4 PTS

Life

5. Write 100 words daily. = 5 PTS

SUBTOTAL = 20

TOTAL points this month = 12 + 20 = 32

• Like 3