Talos Emerges from the Fire Swamp

Talos

Brief update before a couple days of travel:

Overall, week 1 went decently. I'm not back up to a full schedule of exercise, partly because of the unresolved gym search, but I've been getting a couple good runs and occasional bodyweight exercise in to keep me limber. Visited another local gym a couple days ago, and it looked hopeful - assuming I can persuade them to give my unconventional self a student discount. Pros for this location, though, are that I'd also get regular access to a pool, which I haven't had in ages.

I've probably been getting my stretching in every other day. I need to make that a regularly scheduled thing.

Also, I discovered I live pretty close to a state park with mountain biking trails; any of you guys have experience with getting into that sport? I've never done any serious mountain biking, but I imagine it would be a good time.

So, plenty of room left for improvement this challenge. But hey, I've been eating well! :P 

• Like 5

Level 6 Demon Hunter, Novice Troubadour

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

"I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."

Sounds like a good start to me; there's always room for improvement after all! Hope the travelling's going well.

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

On 8/30/2016 at 11:18 AM, Jarric said:

Sounds like a good start to me; there's always room for improvement after all! Hope the travelling's going well.

Travel was great! Nothing too extensive this time, just a couple days visiting family.

Also, I dug up a spare mountain bike while I was out - I don't think I'd be able to take advantage of it all the time, but if I averaged even two trips to the state park a month, it'll be worth the year pass cost. And mountain biking, at least in theory, seems like a cool thing to do with your time, right?

Cooking still going well in general. Made a meatloaf yesterday, which although not the most glamorous thing in the world, was rather tasty (and stuffed with goat cheese).

Today, mind you, I've been tired enough that the most I could muster is the berry protein shake I'm double-fisting at the moment. :P

Stretching averaging about once every other day when I remember. That being said, it seems to have helped at least a little.

I'm starting to think some of the more recent creaky feelings might be from my being stressed out over my life as an intern. I honestly haven't had to deal with being tense a lot of the time in years past - school never bothered me much - but I think the mild anxiety might be the culprit in leaving me feeling beat up half the time.

• Like 4

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

"I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."

Update: during today's stretches, I put my feet behind my head, so maybe I'm doing all right with that.

Update to the Update: I also made sweet potato fries. The day just keeps improving.

• Like 5

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Meatloaf with goat cheese?  you're mad.  You're a mad mad genius.

also you have gotta shoot me these smoothies you're whipping up.  They sound awesome and healthy and I think I need some.

Also if the stretching went any better than the last picture you sent me, I bet it's a wild success. 

Congrats on getting through week 2 dude!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

Week 3 is up!

So this week I should be able to actually register for a gym, hopefully around Wednesday. I'm still averaging probably every other day on the stretches; some days are busy and I totally forget about them. I should probably just find a set time to do those or they're not going to get done.

Today, I took advantage of the holiday by going for a lovely hike with a friend. It also gave me a chance to check out the mountain biking zone I'd read about - it was very popular today (lots of bikers in the area), so it seems like a good option for the year to come.

Finally, cooked a particularly great Thai curry stir-fry, so that was a great cap to a great day off!

• Like 4

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Since I haven't had any luck so far with getting my gym membership sorted, I decided to take a different angle on improving my athletic life.

Thus, a major Scout Gear upgrade!

I've been putting off getting my feet/gait analyzed and sized for proper running shoes for a while now, so today I bit the bullet and made some friends at the local running store. The end product: a pair of shoes that make my feet feel like champions - and keep my knees happy, no less.

How they look:

3184953-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

How I feel when I wear them:

pacific-rim-awesome-jaeger-battle-clip-a

• Like 3

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

GUYS. Major progress on two of my challenge goals.

So all my homework paid off. After (finally) obtaining proper proof of my state in life, I got a huge student discount at a local gym - so for the next year, I now have access to all the weights and aquatics my scrawny self could desire.

*celebrations ensue*

Also, I found a local 5k happening next weekend and signed up for it while my motivation was strong. So the race goal will be accomplished, right on time. Got an individual email from the organizer thanking me for signing up and asking for my t-shirt size, so I'm guessing it's not going to be a huge event.

• Like 4

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Great news on the gym, sounds like a good set up for you.

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Today was great, but I just caught myself looking at an ad for a free pile of dirt on Craigslist, so it's probably time to sleep.

More life reports later as we launch into week 4!

• Like 3

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

On 9/11/2016 at 3:48 PM, Syren said:

Dirt!

For better or worse, no free dirt was purchased.

Week 4 is off to a solid start. After another lovely 24 hours spent unplugged hanging out with family for my day off, I got a solid weightlifting session in this afternoon. I'm hoping to continue where I left off with Stronglifts after I get used to the movements again.

Also, hit the recipe goal once again. Today's meal: French Onion Soup!

• Like 3

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

On 9/9/2016 at 4:47 PM, Talos said:

After (finally) obtaining proper proof of my state in life, I got a huge student discount at a local gym - so for the next year, I now have access to all the weights and aquatics my scrawny self could desire.

Yay! New gyms are the best.

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

Adjusting back into having gym access is going well; I'm particularly enjoying that it's close enough I can make it there easily throughout the week. Haven't gotten back into swimming yet - that'll probably be ugly. It's been ages since I had a proper swimming pool around. Maybe five years now? Time flies...

I apologize for forgetting to take pictures, but today's recipe was a baked cod in lemon butter with an almond flour coating, and another batch of the roasted garlic gazpacho I discovered a couple weeks ago. Super tasty.

I keep forgetting to stretch most of the time, although being more active is helping me stay looser anyway. If I can get that more regular, I'll have my challenge goals more or less in the bag.

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Somehow I haven't run an organized 5k since I first tried running five years ago. Given that I ran a half marathon this spring, I really shouldn't be nervous about it, but here we are. Tomorrow morning's the race!

So now I'm over here trying to get in the zone like

cce.jpg

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Hope the race goes well man!

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

Owwwww. This is what I get for not running enough during summer travel season!

Still, beat my previous PR, such as it was, by about a minute. (Official times pending.)

I came in 15th out of a hundred-ish participants, so I'm pleased on that count. About 13 of those people ahead of me were a super fit-looking roving fitness group wearing matching shirts from a gym in the area. They must be doing something right.

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Will you take a look at that - it's the last day of the challenge!

tumblr_lragefq4qT1qj5t08o2_400.gif

Looks like I got my race in just in time, too.

That means... it's time for a recap!

Challenge Goals:

Make it out to the gym at least two, preferably three times per week.

This got modified a bit early on in the challenge - I had no idea how hard it would be to get through the gym search and registration process, so I had to do something else for exercise instead. I do have a gym now, though, and I've already fit several visits in during the last few days. I feel like I kept up with the spirit of the goal by doing other, different exercise during my free time - hiking, running, etc., so I'm not too bothered.

Stretch, at least for a couple minutes, daily.

I probably had about 50% success here. On busy days I typically forgot to work this in, but I was able to stretch after most of my workouts. So, it was enough to make me feel better, but not enough to make any kind of massive flexibility progress - I should keep working on this.

Run a race. Any race. Don't die.

Done! See above. I still feel like I could manage a lot better than I did if I get my training under control, but I should probably still be happy about pulling this one off. It was my first timed 5k in five years!

Cook at least two new recipes per week.

I rocked this goal. Tons of recipes were prepared, most for the first time. Tons of fun and good eating, and nothing went horribly wrong. I'm glad I can call this part of the challenge a resounding success!

inigo.jpg

• Like 3

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Awesome challenge man, well done. Did you get your official time for the 5k in the end?

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 3:04 PM, Talos said:

About 13 of those people ahead of me were a super fit-looking roving fitness group wearing matching shirts from a gym in the area. They must be doing something right.

^Also wanted to say that this is an excellent advertisement for a gym!

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Jarric said:

Awesome challenge man, well done. Did you get your official time for the 5k in the end?

Thank you - and thanks for cheering me on this month! :D

I just did, actually - 28:23, which although less improvement/not quite as good a performance as I'd hoped, is still a PR relative to my last timed 5k. And 15th out of 97 participants wasn't bad. Probably the most important thing was that it gave me some objective feedback on where I'm at right now, and it got me over whatever mental hurdles I'd had for a few months about doing more races. 

Finally, one last hurrah for tasty meals before I move on to the next challenge. This one is balsamic glazed chicken!

chicken.jpg

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Well done on the time man!

Oh my god that chicken looks amazing. I'm gonna have to make that sometime soon.

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Jarric said:

Well done on the time man!

Oh my god that chicken looks amazing. I'm gonna have to make that sometime soon.

It's super easy (maybe 30 minutes to cook, about 4 ingredients) and tasty. Recipe here - I added fresh garlic: http://www.food.com/recipe/balsamic-chicken-thighs-71557

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

15 hours ago, Talos said:

It's super easy (maybe 30 minutes to cook, about 4 ingredients) and tasty. Recipe here - I added fresh garlic: http://www.food.com/recipe/balsamic-chicken-thighs-71557

Oo, that is easy. Thank you chap, I will be trying that out soon :)

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

The challenge is done, and I made it through more or less in one improved piece. You know what that means...

Level Up!

the-dude-dance.gif

Even better: I've got my next challenge ready to go . . . and this time, it has dragons!

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge