Keep leveling up my life in my second challenge

NY153

So this is my second challenge. Even though I officially failed my first one, I have learnt a lot and ready to do the next one.

I started running about three weeks ago (sidenote: I bought my first ever running shoes today! YAY!), and I felt in love. I actually have to pace myself and make sure I stick to the training plan and not overdo it. So I feel confident with the fitness quest. Not so much with the diet goals... Diet changes are not as rewarding as fitness, the progress is much slower, but I will get there eventually. So I will keep doing what I did last month. This time, I will focus on my mindset, and try to improve in adulting.

Fitness quests:

• Stick to my 10K training plan (3x running/week) - 3 x 4 point possible
  • Do at least 2 sets of the beginner body weight on a rest day (2 sets, 1x/week) - 1 x 4 point possible
  • Stretch every day (7x/week) - 7 x 4 point possible

Diet quests:

• Eat only home-cooked meal at least 6x/week - 6 x 4 point possible
  • Eat mostly home-made sweets or fruits, but 1 cheat/week is acceptable (-5% for any additional cheat meals/sweets) - starts from 100%

Level up life quests:

• go to bed 10 min earlier each week for a months (by 23:00, 22:50, 22:40, 22:30 on first to forth week, respectively) - 7 x 4 point is possible
  • say one positive thing to myself each morning in front of the mirror - 7 x 4 point is possible 
  • complete a 5 mile hike - 100 or 0% depending on success or failiure 
  • finish the course I have started on edX - 100 or 0% depending on success or failiure 

Grading:

Gold (95%) - a new sports bra

Silver (85%) - running socks

Bronze (80%) - hiking map

Actually, I am aiming for 100%, so I can mark that quest done on my character page. This motivates me more now than anything money can buy. :)

• Like 5

For what it’s worth: It’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start over. – F. Scott Fitzgerald

Current challenge, Previous challenges: 32, 1

1 hour ago, Saorsa said:

Good luck! I'm starting my first challenge ever, so I'm glad to see what other people are doing. Home-cooked meal is a consistent struggle for me - I'm so tired by dinner time!

Thank you! I found, the key for home-cooked meal is to do as much as I can on Saturdays or Sundays and always have something in the freezer which is good with salad or rice. The downside is that I eat relatively boring, because I often eat the same thing for two or three days.

For what it’s worth: It’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start over. – F. Scott Fitzgerald

21 hours ago, Saorsa said:

@NY153 I'll have to try that. I'm not familiar with freezing meals. It just needs to be airtight, right? 

Well, I am not sure if there is any special approach for freezing. I only freeze eat-ready meals, like chicken, meatloaf and soup/stew. I sort them into one or two portin sizes (in container or packed in aluminium foil), wait a couple of hours until they are no longer warm and put them in the freezer.

This way I can cook meals in large quantities, but I don't have to eat the same thing for a week. I am not a very good cook, so usually I still end up having just 3 or 4 different kind of food in my freezer...

• Like 1

W1D1 recap: (I started on Monday because it just makes more sense to me)

• Body weight workout for the week: done - 1 point
  • Stretching: done - 1 ponit
  • Ate home-cooked meal - 1 point
  • No sweets on cheat meals: still 100%
  • I was in bed by 23:00 (even though I could not fall a sleep for a while, it still counts) - 1 point
  • Say one positive thing to myself each morning in front of the mirror - done, but it was the hardest from all. I knew I have to work on my self-esteem, but it was shocking that I needed five minutes to come up with something... - 1 point 

I also studied for the edx course I am taking, so it was a good day! :)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Myrdinn said:

Nice work on day 1. This is a good set of goals, best of luck with them!

Thank you!

Nice goals! I'm kind of the opposite of you, diet is easier for me than exercise is. I should have added a one nice thing goal to my challenge like you did, it would be good for me too. I think it gets easier, saying nicer stuff to yourself. You have so much going against you with it. Culture really teaches us to self loathe, and that loving ourselves is vain and arrogant. That's hard stuff to overcome, but you can do it!

• Like 1
On 8/23/2016 at 8:53 PM, GardenGeek said:

Nice goals! I'm kind of the opposite of you, diet is easier for me than exercise is. I should have added a one nice thing goal to my challenge like you did, it would be good for me too. I think it gets easier, saying nicer stuff to yourself. You have so much going against you with it. Culture really teaches us to self loathe, and that loving ourselves is vain and arrogant. That's hard stuff to overcome, but you can do it!

Thank you!

Well, there can always be a next challenge you may add it then. I read about it that it supposed to help, but I guess I need more than four days to actually believe what I say. I'm curious whether it will work, I 'll report back at the end.

• Like 1

Just a quick recap:

Fitness and diet going well so far, no misses. Every time I go to run I feel like it might be too much, and I have to walk, but so far I could always run the amount I was supposed to. I was always a really bad runner, and always failed my running tests back at school so I really hated it. Now, however, it feels great to experience the improvement. 

I managed to get to bed by eleven every day, but lately I cannot fall a sleep. I ended up tossing and turning, then reading until 5 AM, so I'm pretty sure this will be the day when I will need something sugary to keep me going today... 

If anyone has any idea how to deal with insomnia, I'm all ears. Never had this problem before.

Well done, especially with the running!  I was also always a bad runner, however I still am - it's great that you fell in love with it.

Re: sleeping, going to bed on time is a good thing for sleep hygiene, but is your bedroom dark, cool, quiet, etc.? How about some other hacks, as in this Mark's Daily Apple post?

• Like 1

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

I really like your challenge and it sounds like it's going well so far! I also appreciated your tip about preparing meals before hand. I do that too, but I still haven't tried meal prepping soups. I really should give that a go, it's just been so hot this summer "soup" sounds terrible. But it's cooling off and I'll give it a go probably next week. :)

what are your favorite soups to meal prep / freeze? 

On 8/20/2016 at 2:32 PM, Saorsa said:

Home-cooked meal is a consistent struggle for me - I'm so tired by dinner time!

Something for me that has been a tremendously positive change is eating a bit of protein before I leave work (assuming you work during the day). I pack a few hard boiled eggs or string cheese to eat right before I leave work so by the time I get home I don't feel starving and have a bit of energy to get going. I also have been planning meals ahead of time, so I have all the ingredients waiting for me at home and I feel like I'm wasting money if I don't use it. The more you do it, the less it feels exhausting and just part of your routine. I also have plenty of back up freezer meals for when I really am so tired I can't even. Some are homemade, some from health food stores with ingredients I trust. 

I also get those frozen veggie packs that you can pop in the microwave for 5 minutes and voila! steamed veggies! That makes anything more nutritious. 

• Like 2

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

23 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

Well done, especially with the running!  I was also always a bad runner, however I still am - it's great that you fell in love with it.

Re: sleeping, going to bed on time is a good thing for sleep hygiene, but is your bedroom dark, cool, quiet, etc.? How about some other hacks, as in this Mark's Daily Apple post?

Thank you! I am too still a bad runner... :D but at least now I am enjoying it, and looking forward to my training.

Also, thanks for the article, there were a couple of good ideas in then that I will definitely try and incorporate in my life.  

19 hours ago, durfette said:

I really like your challenge and it sounds like it's going well so far! I also appreciated your tip about preparing meals before hand. I do that too, but I still haven't tried meal prepping soups. I really should give that a go, it's just been so hot this summer "soup" sounds terrible. But it's cooling off and I'll give it a go probably next week. :)

what are your favorite soups to meal prep / freeze? 

Thank you! I totally agree, the idea of having a hot soup in the summer wasn't appealing to me either. :) But fall is coming, so I will cook some in the following weeks. I usually cook a large portion (~6-8 L) of chicken soup. Then I froze the meat and vegetable and liquid separately is sizes of 2 servings. This is not a dense soup, so then I can even use the liquid for a base of other, richer soups like pea-soup, cauliflower-soup, or - my absolute favorite - pumpkin soup.

19 hours ago, durfette said:

Something for me that has been a tremendously positive change is eating a bit of protein before I leave work (assuming you work during the day). I pack a few hard boiled eggs or string cheese to eat right before I leave work so by the time I get home I don't feel starving and have a bit of energy to get going. I also have been planning meals ahead of time, so I have all the ingredients waiting for me at home and I feel like I'm wasting money if I don't use it. The more you do it, the less it feels exhausting and just part of your routine. I also have plenty of back up freezer meals for when I really am so tired I can't even. Some are homemade, some from health food stores with ingredients I trust. 

I also get those frozen veggie packs that you can pop in the microwave for 5 minutes and voila! steamed veggies! That makes anything more nutritious.

I agree, these are all great advice. And, indeed, it gets easier over time, especially when your freezer starts to fill up a bit. My go to meal is also frozen veggie packs with some kind of ready-to-eat meat (for example meatballs, meatloaf, grilled chicken parts).

• Like 1

Love your challenge.

I've always suffered with insomnia so you have my sympathy. I'm going to read that Mark's Daily Apple post from @Vibrantella too just in case there is something new in there that can help me too.

Yes those veggie steam packs are great. I cook for the family every night, so that forces me to make something healthy! I often cook double portions so that I can freeze half to save me cooking another day. Chilli con carne freezes well and it's easy to cook a big batch and then freeze a bunch of individual portions. 

• Like 2

First challenge thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/42349-fishfaces-first-challenge-i-will-be-a-fitter-fish/

Second (unfinished) challenge thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/44302-fishfaces-second-challenge-an-even-fitter-fish/

Current challenge thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/87321-respawned-fishface-swims-again/

“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.†― Terry Pratchett, 'Equal Rites'

On 8/26/2016 at 6:39 PM, Fishface said:

Love your challenge.

Thank you!

15 hours ago, SweetPea576 said:

It didn't even click for me until I read this! Yes! Even though I know nutrition is the most important part of the equation, I still always want to start with workout instead. It just feels more productive. 

I know it too, but even on the bad days, when I didn't stick to my diet I try to at least do the workout. Workout and bad food is still better than bad food an sitting on the couch.

On that note, I go an do at least my stretching, because I had a couple of stressful days and slowly I slipped back to my old eating habits... I'll post a recap on Week1 tomorrow.

All right, let's get this done... Week 1 recap:

Fitness quests:

• Stick to my 10K training plan (3x running/week) - 3/3 - 3 points Note: I could not finish 2 out of 3 times, so I will repeat this week, but I got up and went running so it is still success.
  • Do at least 2 sets of the beginner body weight on a rest day (2 sets, 1x/week) - 1/1 - 1 point
  • Stretch every day (7x/week) - 6/7 - 6 points

Diet quests:

• Eat only home-cooked meal at least 6x/week - 5/6 - 5 points
  • Eat mostly home-made sweets or fruits, but 1 cheat/week is acceptable (-5% for any additional cheat meals/sweets) - 8 cheats, so -40% - 60% Note: I had a couple of stressful days, and I couldn't prepare any healthy alternative, or fruit just wasn't enough, so I slipped back into my old habit and eating sweets for comfort. I have to have a challenge in the future when I am focusing only on this one...

Level up life quests:

• go to bed 10 min earlier each week for a months (by 23:00, 22:50, 22:40, 22:30 on first to forth week, respectively) - 7/7 - 7 points Note: Looks like my insomnia is improving too.
  • say one positive thing to myself each morning in front of the mirror - 7/7 -  7 points Note: I keep forgetting in the morning, but I did it every day. It is getting easier, but it still feels weird and I am not sure if it has any effect. 
  • complete a 5 mile hike - Haven't done it yet, but I still have three weekends.
  • finish the course I have started on edX - I made significant progress, only one more unit and the final project are left.
  • Like 1

Week 2 so far:

Good: 

• in bed by 22:50 every day. And luckily I don't have a problem any more with falling a sleep. I got into the habit reading before going to sleep, and not staring on screen after 10 or 10:15 pm.
  • Did both of my running training (the third one is on Sunday). My stomach stopped hurting during my run, so I am enjoying again.
  • I only ate once non-home cooked meal for lunch, so far so good.
  • Almost finished my edX course.

Bad:

• skipped two days of stretching
  • haven't done the body way workout
  • keep forgetting my mirror challenge...
  • haven't made plans for my 5 mile hike
  • sweets: ... 4 cheats already... I am really exited/worried these days. So my sweet-craving starts in the morning, and it's just getting worse. Usually, my willpower is consumed by mid-afternoon and then I just give in. I don't stress about it too much, just hope it will get better next week.

Week 2 recap:

Fitness quests:

• Stick to my 10K training plan (3x running/week) - done - 3/3 points
  • Do at least 2 sets of the beginner body weight on a rest day (2 sets, 1x/week) - done - 1/1 point
  • Stretch every day (7x/week) - 7 x 4 point possible - skipped two days - 5/7 points

Diet quests:

• Eat only home-cooked meal at least 6x/week - 5/6 points
  • Eat mostly home-made sweets or fruits, but 1 cheat/week is acceptable (-5% for any additional cheat meals/sweets) - starts from 100% - 9 cheats...this was a stressful week - 55%

Level up life quests:

• go to bed 10 min earlier each week for a months (by 23:00, 22:50, 22:40, 22:30 on first to forth week, respectively) - almost... - 6/7 points
  • say one positive thing to myself each morning in front of the mirror - completely forgot about this one - 2/7 points 
  • complete a 5 mile hike - 100 or 0% depending on success or failure - haven't done it yet
  • finish the course I have started on edX - finished! (and started a new one) - 100%
  • Like 2

You've achieved so much through this challenge! Like how you've tracked all your progress too. 

• Like 1

First challenge thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/42349-fishfaces-first-challenge-i-will-be-a-fitter-fish/

Second (unfinished) challenge thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/44302-fishfaces-second-challenge-an-even-fitter-fish/

Current challenge thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/87321-respawned-fishface-swims-again/

“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.†― Terry Pratchett, 'Equal Rites'

On 2016. 09. 06. at 5:24 PM, Fishface said:

You've achieved so much through this challenge!

Thank you! It is really good to read it, because after the week I had, it does't feel that way. Here is my recap.

Fitness quests:

• Stick to my 10K training plan (3x running/week) - 3 points - Well, life happened, so I have to reschedule my Sunday run to Monday, but I have already done it, so it counts for last week, because my first run on this week scheduled to only on Wednesday.
  • Do at least 2 sets of the beginner body weight on a rest day (2 sets, 1x/week) - 0 point - I can't believe I had a whole week and I could not do a 20-minute workout...
  • Stretch every day (7x/week) - 6 points - again almost... I was so close but yesterday I completely forgot it.

Diet quests:

• Eat only home-cooked meal at least 6x/week - 5 points - we ordered in twice this week
  • Eat mostly home-made sweets or fruits, but 1 cheat/week is acceptable (-5% for any additional cheat meals/sweets) - it is really embarrassing to admit, but I had 13 cheats -  35%

Level up life quests:

• go to bed 10 min earlier each week for a months (by 23:00, 22:50, 22:40, 22:30 on first to forth week, respectively) - 5 points
  • say one positive thing to myself each morning in front of the mirror - 6 points - I had to put a post-it on the mirror to remind me.
  • complete a 5 mile hike - 100 or 0% depending on success or failure - I haven't done it, I am starting to run out of time.

I did some calculations, and it seems like I am failing this challenge again. But, I have one more week left! So this week, I have to pull myself together and get as much points as possible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

You're not failing, you're fighting!  If everything went smoothly, it would hardly be a challenge now, would it?  Keep up the good work! :) 

Thank you! You are right, I keep fighting! :)

Week4 recap:

Fitness quests:

• Stick to my 10K training plan (3x running/week) - 4 points - and loving it more and more every day
  • Do at least 2 sets of the beginner body weight on a rest day (2 sets, 1x/week) - 0 points
  • Stretch every day (7x/week) - 6 points

Diet quests:

• Eat only home-cooked meal at least 6x/week - 3 points
  • Eat mostly home-made sweets or fruits, but 1 cheat/week is acceptable (-5% for any additional cheat meals/sweets) - 85%

Level up life quests:

• go to bed 10 min earlier each week for a months (by 23:00, 22:50, 22:40, 22:30 on first to forth week, respectively) - 6 points
  • say one positive thing to myself each morning in front of the mirror - 7 points 
  • complete a 5 mile hike - 0% - didn't happen

Overall: 70%

Fitness quests:

• Stick to my 10K training plan (3x running/week) - 100%
  • Do at least 2 sets of the beginner body weight on a rest day (2 sets, 1x/week) - 50%
  • Stretch every day (7x/week) - 82%

Diet quests:

• Eat only home-cooked meal at least 6x/week - 75%
  • Eat mostly home-made sweets or fruits, but 1 cheat/week is acceptable (-5% for any additional cheat meals/sweets) - 59%

Level up life quests:

• go to bed 10 min earlier each week for a months (by 23:00, 22:50, 22:40, 22:30 on first to forth week, respectively) - 86%
  • say one positive thing to myself each morning in front of the mirror - 79%
  • complete a 5 mile hike - 0% 
  • finish the course I have started on edX - 100%

I did not reach the minimum 80% to get a reward. :( But I learn a lot again:

• I love running, and even when life got in the way, I made it happen. I hope I will be able to do it as it gets colder.
  • I am struggling to change my diet. When life gets stressful and busy I slip back into my old habits: I procrastinating cooking and eat a lot of comfort food, usually chocolate. I have to think about how to address this goal better in the next challenge.
  • The bedtime challenge went really well. I will keep doing it.
  • The mirror challenge didn't go too well. I kept forgetting it, and it became an annoying task with no point. It didn't get easier to say something positive, and I didn't really believe the positive things I said, so I felt like a fraud. Maybe I will keep doing it, not sure yet. 

And last but not least, thanks everyone for the continuous support and encouragement, I wouldn't have been able to keep doing it without you! Hope to see you at the next challenge!