• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Alethea

Alethea's Challenge

Back again for my first full-length challenge. Changing it up a bit - walking is enjoyable and automatic, so I don't need to set a goal for that. I reviewed my initial Goals post on my intro, and figured that it is time to work on the whole "rediculously bendy yoga chick" thing. I love yoga, but I've never been intense about it before. This month, I'm going hard at strength and flexibility.

1. Strength Training 2-3x a week. Focus on body weight exercises, with active rest in between days. I aim to push myself hard this month. Further goals to come, but min, do at least 3 pull-ups. 25 pushups.

2. Yoga min 30 min a day. Aiming for 60 min or more 5 days a week. The more the better. Yoga by definition is not ego-based, so I am not setting specific goals for this one. The important thing is the time put in.

3. Continue with minimum 80% Primal Eating Plan, working on diversifying foods and making my food budget more reasonable.

4. Life Leveling Goal: Get Finances in Order. Make budget, set up an investment account at the bank that provides the best trading terms. Transfer my savings to said account, and set up monthly automatic transfers of 10% of my paycheck to account. Do research into investments. Create a portfolio. Invest my money. Goal: 15% return in 1 year.

Bring it, September!

For reference, weight is 138, and I'm tracking inches this month. I expect my weight will decrease only slightly due to muscle-gain, but my inches will melt like butter.

Day 1:

1. Nothing, unless you count drywalling and sanding for 3 hours a workout. Active rest?

2. Fail. Did 10 sun salutations before bed, but that was probably like 15 minutes. Didn't even time it.

3. Donut for breakfast, chili and chocolate bar for dinner, but at least my lunch was healthy. Grilled salmon on salad.

4. Determined the bank I want to open my account with. Made an appointment for the weekend.

Not a strong start. This challenge seems to have taken me by surprise, and my time is even more at a premium than normal. I'm pondering getting up early to do yoga before Job 1, but I hate getting up early and my basement is cold. Warm bed... cold concrete. I'm not sure that's a battle I'm ready to fight every morning. Will try the after-work thing for now.

It's only day 2, plenty of time for a strong comeback!

As for your 4th goal, I will also say that among my nerdly qualities is an obsession with personal finance, so if you ever want to talk with a complete PF nerd, just say the word. :D

Prefect,

Pleased to meet another stingy bastard! : P I am always looking for ways to minimize expenses and maximize money made, but I've been pretty disorganized about it. I don't so much have a budget as I do just part with money very grudgingly and work very hard, but it's something I want to get better at organizing. Actually, THAT should be my goal: Sort Out Personal Finances. I got into investments before the crash and did just well enough to afford a 20% downpayment on a house on a secretary's salary (with help from my Partner, of course), but I admit it was more luck than skill, and the house completely drained my savings. House poor is the worst thing ever.. you can't even complain about it. What I'm getting at is... We must chat!

Day 2: Back in saddle

1. No time for full workout, so intermittently did sets of 10-20 squats and knee pushups throughout the day. Wish I could figure out a way to work shoulders and biceps without any equipment/things to pull myself up on, for when I'm not at home.

2. Ding! 30 minutes of yoga, at 10pm, after 2 beers. Tipsy yoga doesn't do much for my balance, but certainly makes stretching easier.

3. Good enough. Breakfast: Yogurt and fruit cup and coffee. Lunch: Salad, no protein (forgot it at home). Snack between jobs 1 and 2: Chicken with salad, cup of 2% milk. Dinner: 6 wings, 2 beers. Analysis: Low on protein, low on calories, didn't drink enough water, but given what I had to work with, I am content.

Getting bone scan on foot today. Wish someone would bloody diagnose the problem so I know whether I can power through it or need to stay off it. It's fine until I overuse it, then it gets all inflamed and hurty. Yoga doesn't seem to aggravate it if I'm careful and work on mostly sitting/laying poses, but I might need to revamp my workout plan for sit-friendly weight exercises.

Day 3:

1. Nope. Did several sets of pushups throughout the day for fun, then sat on arse for the rest. Starting to get depressed. I hate no activity. Must take a look at those no-feet excercises Dantes suggested on another thread.

2. Yup. 30 min, concentrating on hip openers. Must learn more poses that don't involve feet. Buying book tonight.

3. Yup. Didn't eat enough, but had 1/2 chicken breast, coffee and apple for breakfast, a handful of nuts and berries for lunch, another chicken breast, carrots and broccoli with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dinner, small beef stroganoff (beef, mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, egg noodles. Egg noodles not primal, but it was likely 1/2 cup, which isn't much.) for late night snack.

4. Discussed making budget with partner. He is wary and says tracking it will be a bitch. The consistant tracking part is where I have always failed in the past with budgets. Will try to think of solution.

Note: 137 lbs, meaning I've lost 10 lbs since I joined this site and started my primal kick 5 weeks ago (ish). Got bone scan. techs refused to tell me whats what and told me to make an appointment with my doctor (gogo Canada Medical System), but saw very bright blip on bone scan right where my foot hurts. Guess something is fractured. Will know on Monday when I see my doctor.

Elmanuel, agreed, yoga IS awesome! I can't afford to go to a studio regularly, but I have a small library of videos and books for inspiration, and after my warm-up sun salutations (which I'll have to adapt, actually. No feet!), tend to just do what seems like the right thing to do until my sun salutation final stretch and napping... I mean corpse pose. So far it seems like a success. After all, isn't half of yoga learning to listen and respond to your body?

Thank you for doing a search for me! it's more the daily tracking that is hard to keep up with, but ooh, I like that program! It at least does half the job for me. I'll give 'er a try and see how it works.

Day 4:

1. Strength: Yes. Did intermittent sets of 20 knee pushups (full pushups = badness for my foot) throughout the day.

Workout itself: 3x20 knee pushups

3x20 various leg lifts (front, side, back, clamshells)

1x20 supported-wall squats (keep weight on heels to avoid foot aggravation. Didn't work very well.)

2x20 bent leg chair dips

2x10.. inclined pull-ups. Was near horizontal and still found it difficult. More work needs to be done!

spelled out words through forward leg lifts "I like leg lifts... this song rocks" big and wide and slow as possible until fail.

2. Yoga: Yes. 60 minutes, all seated/kneeling/laying poses. Worked through all seated poses in the first 60 pages of B.K.S. Iyengar's "Yoga Strength and Wisdom", plus a few oldies but goodies. Oh, Pigeon Pose, I love you but you hurt me so much. Worked out a kink in my spine. Feel awesome.

3. Food: Good. 2 eggs and cheese for breakfast, big salad with mixed greens, ham, cucumber, broccoli, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, olive oil and balsamic vinegar for lunch and chicken breast, 2 Tblspns of olive oil and steamed veggies for dinner.

4. Finances: Elmanuel did my work for me today! I like that tracking program, and will enter the month's expenses thus far in it tomorrow

Note: Not enough fats today, and probably calories as well. I may need to start tracking again. Le sigh. Cant wait for my kitchen to be in 1 piece again so I can stock food and cook again. Almost had a beer tonight but just didn't open it, and eventually put it back in the fridge.

Congrats on the weight loss so far. Sorry to hear about your foot, but better to be careful now and heal faster than push through and screw it up more. I've made that mistake waaaay too many times. You'll get it back!

Feel free to PM me anytime if you want to chat. I actually made it through 2 months (I think) where I literally tracked every single cent that I spent. I don't do it regularly, but it's kind of a cool exercise if you're trying to figure out ways to save a little more in your budget. "Oh wait, I spent $200 on lunches out during work? Yikes." Hopefully elmanuel's suggestion works out for you!

Day four sounds like the bomb! Congrats on a great session, especially the yoga :D

Any recommendations for a super-novice yoga beginner on where to start? My partner has mentioned it a few times but I've always been a bit skeptical, so if you could suggest a nice, easy jumping-off point, I think I'll have to give it a go!

Sorry to hear that your foot is still giving you problems, but +1 to Prefect for staying off it as much as possible until it fully heals. I broke a weight-bearing bone in my foot a couple of years ago through trying to run on it when it was hurting, it's not worth it!

Keep up the good work, if you can get some momentum going from day 4 you are going to steamroll this challenge!

Thanks for your support, guys. It means a lot to me.

Dave,

Yay! If you give it a chance, you'll love yoga. Its a great supplement for almost any lifestyle, and I find it particularly helpful to fix imbalances that crop up in strength training - I used to have an outwardly rotated right hip, and managed to fix it purely through yoga poses. The things to keep in mind with yoga are:

1. Check your ego at the door. Getting frustrated tenses you up, which is counter productive. Be happy when you find something to improve on.

2. Try to do just a bit more than you thought you could. It's good for the body, and good for the soul.

3. Balance. If you spend time on a forward bend, you need to do a back bend to balance your body out. If you go to the left, go to the right.

4. Breathe. Long, slow, controlled breaths into the back of your throat, with your diaphram supported and your ribs expanding and contracting. Yogic breathing is an art in itself.

5. Listen to yourself. If your lower back hurts and you want to do a forward bend to ease the pressure, do so! You are your best teacher and best friend. If you need a bit of a break but you're not ready to throw in the towel, do Childs Pose http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogapractice/childpose.asp. Its a great resting pose and gently stretches your back, thighs and hips. If it bugs your knees, put a folded towel on your ankles to elevate your hips a bit.

For your ultra-beginner poses, practice the Sun Salutation. http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogapractice ... tation.asp. It's a series of 12 poses that do a full-body stretch and strengthen. My teacher always said if you do 10 sun salutations a day, you'll live to see 100. It's the foundation for any yoga program. Go very slowly, hold poses for up to 30-60 seconds each, and appreciate each pose fully - some are uncomfortable until your body gets the hang of things, but each one does multiple wonderful things for you.

This is a really detailed instructional video in 2 parts. The twisted cobra pose is unusual, but cool. Go with it:

In addition, there is 1 pose that every Westerner should do. We tend to have really tight hips as a group because of chairs, so my old friend Pigeon Pose is fantastic. http://www.ehow.com/video_2357564_yoga-pigeon-pose.html I need to warn you Dave, this may hurt your knee. If it does, either put a folded towel under your front hip for support, or don't do it! I'll find something else for you.

So, try that for a few days, and when Downward Dog starts to feel good and you're getting bored, let me know and I'll give you something new and fun!

Day 5:

Strength: Rest day. Feeling the efforts of yesterday, though want to do more for my back and shoulders next time. Pull ups are in my goals! I'd ask for any ideas on rest-day activity that can be done sitting, kneeling or laying down, but... yeah. I'm worried at the answers I'd get back. : P I plan to do poi tomorrow while sitting in a chair (where I can't dodge the puffy balls of doom. Dun dun dun), and strength work again.

Yoga: Yes. Not yet, but thats next on my list tonight. We'll call it 45 min unless I edit this , it being midnight and all <Edit: 60 min. Feel like jelly. Sleepy jelly>. Again, seated poses, carrying forward from page 60 of my Iyengar book. I'm loving some of the wacky poses I'm learning - stuff I've never done in a yoga studio before (and I've attended for years in the past). My favorite is this one: put 2 chairs back to back, 2 feet away from eachother. Sit on one, rest your legs on other, lean backward and go into a backbend, with your head on the floor and your arms back, holding the legs of the chair. If your lower back protests, put a folded towel under it for support. Hold for 30 seconds as a beginner, up to 5 minutes (!!!) once your back figures out whats going on. Relax into the pose. Boom. Supported back bend with props. If you're a sloucher, this one's for you.

Nutrition: a fail day, though calorically I'm fine. My eating lately has been wacky due to renovations and lack of mobility. No stove, no room for food, weird schedule = scrounge meals. I think someone mentioned no excuses this month. Not a bad idea. Carrying on! Breakfast: Coffee, 1 sausage, 1 egg, ketchup, 1/2 english muffin, 2 timbits (call it half a donut, non-Canadians). Lunch: Carrots and spinach dip, a little halloween pack of chocolate covered peanuts while I distracted a friend during her 1st day as a non-smoker. Good girl. Snack: small mocha coffee mid-afternoon, with handful of chocolate covered raisins. Dinner: salad with chicken breast, pickles, celery, carrots, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. After Dinner: 2 tall rum and cokes. Yeah, as I type this, total fail. Acceptable amount of calories doesn't mean they can be bad calories! Grocery shopping tomorrow!

Finances: Win. Today was Budget Day. Tried the program that Elmanuel found for me (thank you again, El! You got me moving). I like the format, but the lack of customizability (you only get x amount of fields, though you can rename them whatever you want) wasn't working for me. I found an free online service called Mint.com (its income is from bank service ads. I ignore them), that links to your bank account, credit cards, loans, etc, etc, and tracks them automatically (though I spent 20 minutes labeling expenses it couldn't identify). It yells at you if you're off budget (generated automatically, but you can adjust it), like too much coffeehouse purchases >_>, give you advice, and can set up and track goals. I got the basics going, though I still need to set my goals.

Seriously, I really recommend Mint.com to anyone who wants financial freedom. It wont do everything for you, but it takes out all the grunt work.

Note: 3/4 goals today. Diet needs more care and attention. I'm finding the floor yoga to be really interesting and purely enjoyable, but I miss the heart-race of cardio work. I wonder if I can ghost-bicycle tomorrow and accomplish anything?

Nice work on both the yoga and the finances! I actually tried looking at Mint not that long ago, but it seemed not to be supported in Australia, and had no support for any of our banks. I might give it another look if you end up convinced of its merits by the end of the challenges....

Will try to get a yoga day in the next time I'm meant to be Moving Slowly! Thanks for the links :D

Dinner sounded pretty good, but theres not a lot you can do when you're helping someone through the Cold Turkey. Sometimes being a good friend means temporary setbacks for yourself, right?

Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks, Dave! FYI, my roommate was going to join Mint as well, but his bank wasn't covered either. Evidently you can contact them and request they add your bank. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, but it's worth a try!

1. Strength: Win! Strength day. Finally figured out a good full workout. Only flaw is it's heavy on my wrists. Meh. I'll adjust. It's also heavy on my shoulders, which is what I was aiming for!

3x30 knee pushups.

3x10 1.5 leg-supported pullups

3x20 rear leg lifts (my squat equivalent. a sad, pale imitation.). Can go more next time, or find something better.

3x20 Chair-supported jack-knife overhead press.

2x90 second forearm knee plank

2x60 second side knee plank.

2. Yoga: Will do 60 minutes before bed, after I digest dinner a bit. Already seeing small increases in flexibility and core strength.

3. Nutrition: Fine. Started tracking again, because I'm going all over the place and it forces smart choices. My goals are 90-100g protein, 90-100g fats, less than 80g carbs, 1500 cals total. I'm fairly close, and I'm not going to stuff myself just because I pretty much skipped breakfast.

Breakfast: Coffee, handful of almonds and raisins.

Lunch: 2 egg omelet with 3g cheese, 1/2 roma tomato, 1/3 green pepper, handful of sprouts (which didn't work, by the way). Another coffee.

Dinner: a can of white tuna in, you guessed it, salad! lettuce, carrots, cucumber, 1Tbsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar. Also plan to have 20 pecans for late snack, just to bump my fats a bit.

Fat 89.52 Carb 39.70 Protein 85.09 Cal 1288

4. No goals for today.

Note: Very happy with today.

Thanks, Dave! FYI, my roommate was going to join Mint as well, but his bank wasn't covered. Evidently you can contact them and request they add you bank. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, but it's worth a try!

1. Strength: Win! Strength day. Finally figured out a good full workout. Only flaw is it's heavy on my wrists. Meh. I'll adjust. It's also heavy on my shoulders, which is what I was aiming for!

3x30 knee pushups.

3x10 1.5 leg-supported pullups

3x20 rear leg lifts (my squat equivalent. a sad, pale imitation.). Can go more next time, or find something better.

3x20 Chair-supported jack-knife overhead press.

2x90 second forearm knee plank

2x60 second side knee plank.

2. Yoga: 60 minutes. Already seeing small increases in flexibility and core strength.

3. Nutrition: Fine. Started tracking again, because I'm going all over the place and it forces smart choices. My goals are 90g protein, 90g fats, less than 80g carbs, 1500 cals total. I'm fairly close, and I'm not going to stuff myself because I pretty much skipped breakfast.

Breakfast: Coffee, handful of almonds and raisins.

Lunch: 2 egg omelet with 3g cheese, 1/2 roma tomato, 1/3 green pepper, handful of sprouts (which didn't work, by the way). Another coffee.

Dinner: Will have salmon over, you guessed it, salad! lettuce, carrots, broccoli, 1Tbsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar. Also, plan to have an apple with almond butter. Evidently it's to die for and I must try it.

Fat 81.45 Carb 47.12 Protein 78.37 Calories 1214

4. No goals for today.

Note: Very happy with today.

you should be :) great job.

i have a little 1lb weighted ball that i play with at work - it helped me a lot for wrist strength a while ago when i had a wrist injury... maybe something like that could help your wrists adjust?

and mint.com = amazing. i use it all the time.

my favorite = the text alerts when you go over budget on something. nothing like being at a bar, swiping your credit card, and getting a text that says "you have gone over budget for bar and alcohol this month" :lol:

hah, thats awesome. I have to set up text alerts now.

Part of my problem is that I do yoga, all floor poses, which means it's heavy on my wrists as well. One or the other, no problem, both... yeah, my wrists hurt today. Will do a bit of poi tonight to try to stretch them and my forearms out a bit. In other news, my shoulders are DOMSing, but my legs are definitely underworked. Time consuming as front/side/back/reverse-side/clamshell x 3 leg lifts are, I may have to add them to my routine.

hah, thats awesome. I have to set up text alerts now.

Part of my problem is that I do yoga, all floor poses, which means it's heavy on my wrists as well. One or the other, no problem, both... yeah, my wrists hurt today. Will do a bit of poi tonight to try to stretch them and my forearms out a bit. In other news, my shoulders are DOMSing, but my legs are definitely underworked. Time consuming as front/side/back/reverse-side/clamshell x 3 leg lifts are, I may have to add them to my routine.

your foot still hurting you?

if so, what about genie sits?

http://chicshaping.com/exercise-of-the-week/exercise-of-the-week-genie-sit/

Yeah, stress fracture on the second metatarsal. Finally got a bloody cast today so I can stop aggravating it, 2 weeks after going to a doctors office and telling them I think it's fractured. Sigh. So I have no foot for this whole challenge. I'm glad I picked yoga instead of running!

ah, cool. I'll throw that pose in the mix. I'm having fun with bridge poses as well, so long as I keep my weight on my heels.

Yeah, stress fracture on the second metatarsal. Finally got a bloody cast today so I can stop aggravating it, 2 weeks after going to a doctors office and telling them I think it's fractured. Sigh. So I have no foot for this whole challenge. I'm glad I picked yoga instead of running!

ah, cool. I'll throw that pose in the mix. I'm having fun with bridge poses as well, so long as I keep my weight on my heels.

haha its a good thing :) how long will you have the cast for?

i was thinking of you and your foot when i went to the gym today.

reverse hip raise works glutes and hams:

http://www.localriding.com/image-files/fit-to-ride-155.jpg (if you try this, i suggest you have something nearby to hold on to :) )

(unfortunately, that's the only leg exercise i did that didn't require feet :( )

*revised*

Wow, that pose looks dangerous! I like it! I shall report back how many times I fall off the ball. I've got the cast for 3-4 weeks. Frustrating, but there we are.

Fitness: Rest day, with floor scrubbing. And I mean scrubbing.

Yoga: Did 80 minutes, with special focus on shoulder stretching and flexibility. This is a weakness of mine, and now is the perfect time to work on it. Goal: Be able to reach one hand up and back behind my back, and the other hand down and back behind my back, and be able to touch hands. Also had a bit of an epiphany on how to view poses as straight lines and hinge points (i.e., I can touch my head to my knee in a forward bend if I round my back, but that pose is not supposed to have a rounded back. Straight lines!). This will really help my practice if I can avoid letting my ego get in the way.

Diet: missed breakfast + sitting in clinic over lunch hour + dinner my mum made. Thus...

Lunch: Large Cafe Latte

Snack: Apple and 1 heaping Tbsp almond butter. Wow. 1st time. Yum.

Dinner: 2 bowls of hamburger stew with cabbage, carrot and potato

Snack: Snap peas and cashews.

Again, eh, good enough, not great. Was tempted by pizza today, but held strong. It didn't look like good pizza anyway.

Finances: Nothing today. I gotta get on this.

Note: Today was a blah day. Many frustrations (1st clinic "didn't do" casts, so had to hobble 15 blocks to different clinic and wait for 3 hours, missing afternoon of work), much work, much hobbling on poor foot, not much goodness. I wasn't feeling the yoga, even, but committed to 30 minutes of practice. Around minute 25, I suddenly got inspired and started thinking about my weaknesses and the science behind proper yoga poses. Was told to go to bed at midnight, 80 minutes in. Excited for next practice.

Blah days ftl :(

The good thing about them though, tomorrow is probably going to be better, or LOTS better. So that's something to look forward to!

Sorry to hear about the cast, but at least it's being properly attended to so it can start to heel (ha! see what I did there).

I'll have to try to find almond butter, I've never heard of it!

<< n00b.

Today IS better. You must be psychic, Dave! I almost forgive you the pun. :P Almond butter is the new peanut butter, and 10 times better. Or at least, as good, not as greasy, and way better for you. That makes it 10x in my book!

Good job on resisting the power of pizza!

And good luck with that cast. Get some people to write some cool stuff on it.

Blah days, what can you do huh?

Great job on the optimism! and the 80 :o minutes of yoga.

Hope your foot heals up soon! I'm with the others--gotta look forward to tomorrow!

I'll have to try to find almond butter, I've never heard of it!

So I posted this on Steve's log for this month, but I will just say it again. I had the apple/almond butter combo for the first time this week and all I have to say is omgdelicious.

I definitely admire your yoga abilities. I've done it a bit here and there, but you seem really up on your training!

I know, Prefect, s'why I had to try the almond butter/apple combo. if 2 Rebels agree, I'll jump on that band wagon!

It's not really a signable cast, but my boss wrote his name on a sticky note and taped it to my toe. :P

Fitness: Rest day again today. I'm only doing strength twice this week, due to general household madness. Did continue my scrubbing and scraping of calcium deposits off floor tiles for 3 hours. Almost done. Oh slate tiles. You looked so pretty in the store.

Yoga: Just about to do 60 minutes, then back to the floor.

Diet: Had grains! Gasp! I rather regret this, but didn't have a a back-up option aside from salad, and meatballs on salad is weird even for me.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, cheese, tomato, green pepper microwave omelet. Coffee.

Lunch: Salad with ham, bacon bits, cucumber, carrots, pickles, a strawberry for dessert.

Snack: 2 coffees and a hot chocolate. My, I splurged on caffeine today.

Dinner: Spaghetti (!!) with meatballs and tomato sauce.

Fat 92.27 Carbs 93.19 Protein 91.67 Total 1571

Finances: Got small issue resolved with Mint, classified all expenses, decided my budget will wait until a full month's of expenses so I get a realistic estimate of groceries, etc, made appointment to open investment account as I missed my last appointment.

Conclusion: Today was arright. I give myself a B. My diet sorta fell apart around mid-afternoon.

I know, Prefect, s'why I had to try the almond butter/apple combo. if 2 Rebels agree, I'll jump on that band wagon!

i know this sounds crazy, but..

-celery + almond butter + 3-4 raisins

-zucchini or summer squash + almond butter + a dried cranberry on top

everyone at work always makes fun of me when i do these two things, but i find them amazing.

Sign in to follow this