Valkyrie Keeps Going

x Valkyrie x

Challenge Reflections

What Went Well:

1. My challenge quest tracker helped me stay accountable and motivated to fill in those little squares! 

2. Meal planning made eating healthy mindless and easy, and easy to track since it was all planned out.

3. Getting up early in the morning to run or cycle or whatever makes me feel good and I enjoy having some Me time before my day starts (especially since my evenings are usually hanging on the couch with my mom watching TV). 

4. Drinking 100 oz of water a day makes me feel well and healthy. 

Where Things Fell Apart:

1. Feeling like I HAD to strength train 3 times a week made me not want to, and I didn't do a single strength training session after the 2nd week. 

2. I quit tracking my food and did some major emotional eating after I started my job. 

3. Trying to exercise 5x a week once I started work was daunting and I gave up. 

What I'm Going To Do This Time: Physical Challenge

1. I going to make a quest tracker, because it makes me happy, but I'm going to give myself a little extra leeway than I did last time. 

2. I will exercise 3x a week, doesn't matter what it is, for at least 25-30 minutes. 

3. I will track my food, because I didn't for about 2 weeks and I started gaining again. 

4. I'm going to continue to aim for 100 oz of water every day.

What I'm Going To Do To Level Up My Life: 

1. Laundry 1x week: The Whole Shebang (wash, dry, PUT AWAY, darn it!) (My room is unbearably messy, and it's almost entirely because I let my laundry pile up.)

2. In bed, phone off, by 9:30 every night, so I can get up early enough for a run and a cup of coffee before work. 

3. Create budget and initiate Dave Ramsay's Debt Snowball to eradicate my debt so I can move to Ireland and be with the love of my life. 

4. I'm going to have a riding lesson every week (as long as it's within budget) and play soccer when the games are before 9 pm, because I enjoy those things, even if the pull of the couch is strong. 

Current Challenge Quest Tracker:

• Like 4

So, Zero Week was a good one for me. Work is getting so much better! I'm not as tired, I got paid(YAY!) , and my boss said that my documentation is above and beyond the standard, and I'll be starting my new schedule of Sunday through Thursday next week, because I'm trusted to work alone on Sundays now! 

Also, a week ago, I bought my wedding dress (OMG!)!

My mom had curled my hair, because otherwise I was planning on going out just with my wavy bedhead (it wasn't THAT bad, but mom vetoed =p), and I was so impressed, I said, "i could wear my hair like this when I get married!" Which gave me a cheeky idea to go to her co-worker's family bridal store and try things on, just for the craic, not planning to buy at all! My boyfriend hasn't officially asked me yet, but we're already planning the wedding, we already feel married in terms of our dedication to each other, so I thought what's the harm in looking! 

So, we called and made an appointment, and when I told the lady I wasn't planning to buy, she was sort of like, "well, what's the point then?" until I told her my mom works with her daughter and she said we could try things on anytime, at which point the lady was so nice and like, "of course, that's fine!" Which was nice, cause I already felt a bit awkward about trying things on without a set wedding date or a ring on my finger. 

We showed up and started chatting with the owners, they asked me about my boyfriend and about the wedding, and i told them I'm hoping for a castle in Ireland (because why the heck not, when you can rent an entire castle through AirBnB for less than a reception room at a hotel or something), and they started showing all these gorgeous dresses to us. Mom spotted one, and said it gave her "full body goosebumps!", so we pulled it off the rack.

The first dress I tried on was gorgeous, with a super cute see through back and mom and I both teared up because oh my gosh I was wearing a wedding dress! I didn't love the dress though, so we tried on a couple of more, until we got to the one that my mom picked out. As the lady cinched it up and I saw how it was going to fit me, I started saying, over and over again, "oh my God, oh my God!" and basically having a heart attack, so the lady made me turn around and put a veil on me, and I stepped out. I was already starting to tear up and mom started crying when she saw me, and when I turned and looked at it in the mirror I said, "it's so perfect, this is the dress I'm going to get married in!" (I'm afraid I won't share any details because my boyfriend has been known to lurk on this site, and all he gets to know about it is that it's a dress =p)

We ended up putting a deposit on it then and there! It was so affordable, my mom picked it out, it was actually in my size, it needs minimal (less than $100) alterations, and I was the first person to ever try it on; it was like serendipity! They tried to sell us the veil too, but mom and I are going to make my veil ourselves, I think, because we are pretty crafty people and we want to have that experience together.  

It was the most lovely afternoon and such a special memory with my Mom that I will cherish forever! When I told my boyfriend, he laughed at me at first, saying when two women are together nothing is safe, and then he said he can't wait to marry me and spend the rest of our lives together, and we had a really good conversation about when and how we'll do the wedding and stuff. I'm so excited to be working toward the next stage of our lives where we get to be together all the time and build a life together-together instead of together-separately like we're doing now. 

• Like 4

Hi Valkyrie! I'm glad to see you back in action and I have to agree with Marauder, it was a really cute story. Why not have a castle in Ireland? That would be schaweet!

You really have some great goals and I look forward to watching your take care of business ;)

W0lf

"Maximum Effort"

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Hi there! I love Dame Ramsey stuff. We started following his plan about 8 years ago, and it helped so much.  Really super practical ideas. 

And you bought your wedding dress!!!! So sweet. Everybody always thinks its funny that I say I knew the exact night my boyfriend (now husband) was going to ask me to marry him.  I cooked him a meal (first meal I ever cooked:hororr: )  and we made a special evening of it. But, it was like you guys we had known for a while that is was going to happen and been talking about it forever. I think there is a lot of sweetness in being able to discuss your future plans together. And a castle in Ireland sounds amazing!

• Like 2

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I see you!!  Don't underestimate the challenge of starting a new full time job.  Glad to see you've cut yourself some slack and adapted.  It's the rangerly way. ;) 

Hello again! All we can do is stay calm and ranger on! =p 

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Such a cute story!!!!  Dear lurking boyfriend...

giphy.gif

haha I hope he sees this, he'll get a kick out of it! 

50 minutes ago, Wild Wolf said:

Hi Valkyrie! I'm glad to see you back in action and I have to agree with Marauder, it was a really cute story. Why not have a castle in Ireland? That would be schaweet!

You really have some great goals and I look forward to watching your take care of business ;)

W0lf

"Maximum Effort"

Hi Wolf, I'm glad to be back! I'm excited to follow your adventures, too, I missed all you guys while I was having my little work crisis! 

And, right?! This dress needs a castle, I'm just sayin'... =p And when I suggested a castle, Will was like, "that's cool, there'd be plenty of room, at least!" =p He is so sweet to me. 

5 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Hi there! I love Dame Ramsey stuff. We started following his plan about 8 years ago, and it helped so much.  Really super practical ideas. 

And you bought your wedding dress!!!! So sweet. Everybody always thinks its funny that I say I knew the exact night my boyfriend (now husband) was going to ask me to marry him.  I cooked him a meal (first meal I ever cooked:hororr: )  and we made a special evening of it. But, it was like you guys we had known for a while that is was going to happen and been talking about it forever. I think there is a lot of sweetness in being able to discuss your future plans together. And a castle in Ireland sounds amazing!

That is awesome, I am SOOOO excited to have an income now and finally be in a position to tackle the debt that's piled up while I've been in school. I figured out if I stick to the Snowball Debt plan, I can be out of credit card debt in less than a year, and out of debt entirely (including my rather hefty student loans) in 3 years! While I won't be able to make the same size payments when I move to Ireland (I'll take a pretty deep pay cut over there), Will and I will be in a much better place financially by the time it's time for me to move, plus he's always telling me it's "our" debt and we'll take care of it together, so it's all going to work out! 

Aww that is the cutest! I think there is too, it's so reassuring to have someone I can rely on and that all our future plans include each other, and we can talk about absolutely anything, even the scary stuff. 

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Hi Wolf, I'm glad to be back! I'm excited to follow your adventures, too, I missed all you guys while I was having my little work crisis! 

And, right?! This dress needs a castle, I'm just sayin'... =p And when I suggested a castle, Will was like, "that's cool, there'd be plenty of room, at least!" =p He is so sweet to me.

41 minutes ago, x Valkyrie x said:

plus he's always telling me it's "our" debt and we'll take care of it together, so it's all going to work out! 

We missed you too! Will seems like a great guy and the more you talk about what he does the more I like him :) 

W0lf

• Like 1

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Spoiler

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

On 8/20/2016 at 11:46 AM, Wild Wolf said:

We missed you too! Will seems like a great guy and the more you talk about what he does the more I like him :) 

W0lf

He is a really great guy, Im lucky to be with him. <3

Ok! So today was technically the first day, but I forgot it was, so I'm going to just officially start tomorrow. 

I finished my bullet journal quest tracker, which I redesigned and completed all by myself! (kind of a big thing for me to do something sorta artsy without lots of assistance from my more artsy-inclined mother, as I'm usually too intimidated to try! #therangerway #doallthethings) 

I've given myself 4 lives (the 4 segmented heart) and 3 extra hearts which will deduct XP if I have to use them on top of my 4 free lives.

I've made my soccer games a bonus quest because I don't want to pressure myself into playing, but it'd be fun to start going again. And my 3 days of exercise can be anything, as long as there's some real effort and sweat involved. 

I'm less excited for this challenge than the first one, I think because I'm more tired haha. But I'm ready to work on establishing some discipline to get me through my lack of motivation. Woohoo! Let's do it!

• Like 2

I love your colour-coded tracking system!! Totally copying it. 

Also, stoked about how stoked you are for wedding shenanigans. DEFINITELY go for the castle!!

• Like 2

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

8 hours ago, IslandGirl_Becks said:

I love your colour-coded tracking system!! Totally copying it. 

Also, stoked about how stoked you are for wedding shenanigans. DEFINITELY go for the castle!!

Hehe thanks! I love my bullet journal! I got these great fine tipped colored pens that just fill my little journaling heart with joy. :P

Um right? Castle all the way! Though we were also considering a villa in Italy, because airbnb is amazing and everywhere is easy to get to when you live in the EU...we shall see! 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

I love my bullet journal! I got these great fine tipped colored pens that just fill my little journaling heart with joy. :P

Mmm...love me some journaling. What pens are you using? 

On 8/21/2016 at 10:43 PM, x Valkyrie x said:

I'm less excited for this challenge than the first one, I think because I'm more tired haha. But I'm ready to work on establishing some discipline to get me through my lack of motivation. Woohoo! Let's do it!

This is the trouble with challenges sometimes-keeping momentum. Hell, don't worry about it because all of us veterans get that way too. When I'm feeling less then energized for the day I try and build off others successes and highs for the day-it tends to motivate me when I need the additional boost ;) 

On 8/21/2016 at 10:43 PM, x Valkyrie x said:

He is a really great guy, Im lucky to be with him. <3

He's lucky to have you as well :) 

W0lf

• Like 1

Spoiler

I just found you, I'll be following. That's a great story about the dress.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Wild Wolf said:

Mmm...love me some journaling. What pens are you using? 

I'm using LePen  10 pack "Bright" set (the company is Marvy Uchida). They're .3, I think, they never smear and they are just so dang fun! My mom got them for me for my birthday from a little stationary store we visited, but you can get them on Amazon!

1 hour ago, Wild Wolf said:

This is the trouble with challenges sometimes-keeping momentum. Hell, don't worry about it because all of us veterans get that way too. When I'm feeling less then energized for the day I try and build off others successes and highs for the day-it tends to motivate me when I need the additional boost ;) 

Seeing everyone else working towards their goals is definitely inspiring! And I think about the NF email I got a little while ago about how motivation isn't the key to success, discipline is, and I'm trying to apply that as I build fitness habits. :)

32 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I just found you, I'll be following. That's a great story about the dress.

*waves excitedly* hi tank! :) Thanks, it was such a wonderful day!! 

Recap: Yesterday

I got my water in, 5/5! 

I tracked my food (ugh 1900 calories, what was I thinking?!)

I was in bed by 9:30, barely, but I was a few minutes late on turning off my phone and settling down cause i had to track in my journal and text my honey...I may try for being in bed by 9:15 so I can do all that stuff on time. 

For my budget, I'm using Every Dollar, which is a budget app by Dave Ramsay and it makes it SO easy to make sure I'm spending my money wisely and to be held accountable for where it all goes. And I get an extra paycheck this month (yay!), so I can save half the cost of Will's ticket out here in October (fingers crossed he can work around his school schedule, I miss him so much).

I  made an appointment to run this morning at 6:15. I woke up at 6 and it was still really dark out and I was like, "run in the dark, or sleep in??" But I compromised and ran at 6:30, and I did the whole 28 minutes, no wimping out like last time! This has also brought to my attention that I need to get some high-vis stuff so I'll feel and be safer running early in the morning as we get further into the fall. 

• Like 1

The more Rangers I follow the worse my RangerBrain gets...I had to look up this Dave Ramsey after reading your challenge because our (my wife and I both have student loans) SL debt is massive and I don't see any end to it...thank you!

and following along ;) 

• Like 2

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE is Moving

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

7 hours ago, RES said:

The more Rangers I follow the worse my RangerBrain gets...I had to look up this Dave Ramsey after reading your challenge because our (my wife and I both have student loans) SL debt is massive and I don't see any end to it...thank you!

and following along ;) 

I learned about it while I was looking up budget layouts for my bullet journal on Pinterest! There are also budget snowball calculators online that can help you figure out your payments and timeline for paying things off. It's really encouraging to see it broken down, instead of this amorphous blob of debt.

• Like 2

It was a super cute story about that dress (I've already blown every chance to strike a "tough guy" impression on these forums, lol).

Will and you remind me of Nare and myself (together since forever, talking about getting married). Your excitement is contagious :)

Castle in Ireland all the way!!

• Like 1

Instagram/Facebook/Epic Quest

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3(Holiday Mini)| #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9|#10| #11| #12| #13 | #14

Current Challenge: Respawn

13 minutes ago, Agnarr said:

It was a super cute story about that dress (I've already blown every chance to strike a "tough guy" impression on these forums, lol).

Will and you remind me of Nare and myself (together since forever, talking about getting married). Your excitement is contagious :)

Castle in Ireland all the way!!

Meh, tough guys are so often very dull! It's so funny, I never knew that's how it happened. I always wondered, "how do people decide to get married? How do they know?" I know now - they talk about it! A LOT! At least, we did and do. And it doesn't take any of the romance or excitement out of it to be on the same page and know what we both want and plan to do. I think it makes the anticipation sweeter, because there's no fear or uncertainty, just love and faith in each other. 

• Like 5

I had to post this song! I completely feel like this is what's going on with me lately! I'm usually the super self-sufficient not-too-emotional one in my relationship with Will, and when I'm home with my mom I'm usually like, "it's fine." But lately, "someday" has started to look a lot more immediate, and I'm so freaking proud of him, it's like I'm seeing him with fresh eyes, and I can't stop thinking about him and I can't wait to see him again! (sorry (not sorry), my page is half challenge and half gushing...)

• Like 4

Back on topic:

I completed my first strength training session since I started work! (It took me less than 25 minutes, but I'm going to count it towards my 3x a week, because it's something exercise-y that I've been avoiding and putting off.) 

Spartan Workout #1:

5 Pushups

30" Plank

15 squats

5 lunges (each)

3 side lunges (each)

30" bear crawl hang 

Repeat 3x 

Mobility:

Warrior One x2

Triangle Pose x2

It went really, really well. I felt stronger than last time I did it, and I was able to hold the plank and the bear crawl hang for the full 30" without breaking form! My right knee is protesting a little bit during extension, which I noticed yesterday as well while stretching after my run; I'm having some patella/patellar tendon pain, especially in static loaded extension, like during warrior one (it really doesn't like my hips turning perpendicular to my knee!) and step back lunges. My right side has been super tight for a while, especially my adductors and hamstrings, so they may be pulling on my patella when I go into extension, or maybe I'm extending past neutral and hanging on the ligament during those loaded positions instead of making my muscles hold the joint in position. I'm going to pay attention next time to what's going on and see if I can do it better. 

Ranger on! 

• Like 4
On 8/24/2016 at 8:59 AM, x Valkyrie x said:

My right knee is protesting a little bit during extension, which I noticed yesterday as well while stretching after my run; I'm having some patella/patellar tendon pain, especially in static loaded extension, like during warrior one (it really doesn't like my hips turning perpendicular to my knee!) and step back lunges. My right side has been super tight for a while, especially my adductors and hamstrings, so they may be pulling on my patella when I go into extension, or maybe I'm extending past neutral and hanging on the ligament during those loaded positions instead of making my muscles hold the joint in position. I'm going to pay attention next time to what's going on and see if I can do it better. 

Ranger on! 

Hey Val!

Way to rock your work out!

Speaking about patellar issues, I really like step-ups to strengthen stabilizing muscles of the knee. These are other good ones!

Physical Therapy Exercises In Pictures | Physical Therapy Online:

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Return to the Grove

Dryad | Beastmaster Ranger | Licensed Cat Cuddler

2021 Goals: Hour walk without pain | Freestanding headstand | more tbd
Goodreads

On 8/24/2016 at 6:59 AM, x Valkyrie x said:

Back on topic:

I completed my first strength training session since I started work! (It took me less than 25 minutes, but I'm going to count it towards my 3x a week, because it's something exercise-y that I've been avoiding and putting off.) 

Spartan Workout #1:

5 Pushups

30" Plank

15 squats

5 lunges (each)

3 side lunges (each)

30" bear crawl hang 

Repeat 3x 

Mobility:

Warrior One x2

Triangle Pose x2

It went really, really well. I felt stronger than last time I did it, and I was able to hold the plank and the bear crawl hang for the full 30" without breaking form! My right knee is protesting a little bit during extension, which I noticed yesterday as well while stretching after my run; I'm having some patella/patellar tendon pain, especially in static loaded extension, like during warrior one (it really doesn't like my hips turning perpendicular to my knee!) and step back lunges. My right side has been super tight for a while, especially my adductors and hamstrings, so they may be pulling on my patella when I go into extension, or maybe I'm extending past neutral and hanging on the ligament during those loaded positions instead of making my muscles hold the joint in position. I'm going to pay attention next time to what's going on and see if I can do it better. 

Ranger on! 

Awesome workout. Maybe take a video or picture of yourself in warrior ?Then you can get a picture of how far out you are bending your knee. It seems so easy to me anyway to overextend.

• Like 2

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

4 hours ago, Aggievet2014 said:

Hey Val!

Way to rock your work out!

Speaking about patellar issues, I really like step-ups to strengthen stabilizing muscles of the knee. These are other good ones!

Physical Therapy Exercises In Pictures | Physical Therapy Online:

Thanks! And thanks for the exercise sheet! I like step ups, too, and heel dips, I should incorporate those into my training, for sure!

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Awesome workout. Maybe take a video or picture of yourself in warrior ?Then you can get a picture of how far out you are bending your knee. It seems so easy to me anyway to overextend.

That's a really good idea! I hadn't thought of that! 

• Like 1