Valkyrie Keeps Going

x Valkyrie x

Today is my Friday, yayay!

I was told by a chauvinistic mean old man at work that I had a double chin, he just said it out of the blue and matter of fact as you please...and I had to remind myself that sticks and stones and all that, and also to account for the source. People like that don't deserve to be listened to, they just want to make others as miserable as they are. It's so stupid, but it upset me a lot, maybe because I was already having a rough body image day because I was already feeling like I could never compete with hot, fit girls in skimpy underwear (I saw a picture of some model on my boyfriend's old SD card from a long time ago, and my neuroses just took off).  I could never look like those kinds of girls because I like food too much and exercise too little. Oh well. 

I had another riding lesson tonight, and I think I'm gonna give it a couple more lessons to see if I like it. She's very chatty, and sometimes it feels like she chats more than she teaches, but she has a lot of knowledge and i want to learn (aka: I wish I could do a Vulcan Mind Meld and get all her knowledge!). I trotted without stirrups or reins, and we identified the postural issues that have plagued me since I first learned to ride with the wrong posture. (Some American Hunter/Jumper teachers are REALLY fond of an anterior pelvic tilt (leading to a hollow or "duck" back, which is absolutely ridiculous when you look at the physiology of both person and horse, and also, ya know, physics) She also very gently suggested that my core is weak, which makes it hard to maintain posture and balance while moving. I was like, "I'm not offended, you speak the truth." Once I got into the right position, I seriously felt like I was leaning backwards! She told me I was actually just straight up and down, instead of leaning slightly forward like i had been doing previously. But at the same time, when we trotted while I held that position, I felt WAY more stable, and like I could control my balance a lot better. 

Tomorrow I'm gonna go for a long bike ride, I think, take advantage of mom and Will both being at work and having a morning just to myself. =)

• Like 3

Sorry about the mean old man. You are gorgeous, you have such a bright smile. When I see your avatar, I think "that's someone I would like to be friends with"

Interesting about the horse riding and how you felt you were leaning. The reason I now try and video at least some of my workouts is that I've noticed how I could swear my body was in the right position, but when I look at the video, I'm not. 

• Like 3

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Nevermind the haters. Fuel your progress with their tears. Prove them wrong by getting better.

I'm totally aware that is easier said than done, but don't feel like you need to compete with anyone. Most women don't even realize how beautiful they are, and media-imposed standards make it even harder for them.

Your BF does realize. He chooses you everyday for a reason ;)

10 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

[...]I had another riding lesson tonight, and I think I'm gonna give it a couple more lessons to see if I like it. [...]

How awesome is that! I avoided riding horses for a long time. I always felt that my bodyweight would, like, injure the poor animal or something :P

• Like 3

Instagram/Facebook/Epic Quest

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3(Holiday Mini)| #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9|#10| #11| #12| #13 | #14

Current Challenge: Respawn

Looks like you're doing great so far, mellon nin! Congratulations!

Everything you've posted about boyfriend + wedding stuff...it's adorable. Completely, extra adorable. Love it. I hope you have the best of weddings when the time comes! :)

• Like 3

Matthew 25:34-40

15 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sorry about the mean old man. You are gorgeous, you have such a bright smile. When I see your avatar, I think "that's someone I would like to be friends with"

Interesting about the horse riding and how you felt you were leaning. The reason I now try and video at least some of my workouts is that I've noticed how I could swear my body was in the right position, but when I look at the video, I'm not. 

Thank you, EG! Your encouragement really cheered me up, thanks! 

Right? Perception is a funny thing, and goes to show that everything we see or feel isn't necessarily true. 

6 hours ago, Agnarr said:

Nevermind the haters. Fuel your progress with their tears. Prove them wrong by getting better.

I'm totally aware that is easier said than done, but don't feel like you need to compete with anyone. Most women don't even realize how beautiful they are, and media-imposed standards make it even harder for them.

Your BF does realize. He chooses you everyday for a reason ;)

How awesome is that! I avoided riding horses for a long time. I always felt that my bodyweight would, like, injure the poor animal or something :P

I will hear the lamentations of their women!!! Or something like that... 

Thanks Agnarr, that's what he said too, actually. x 

I'm a firm believer that if everyone rode horses, we'd all need a lot less therapy! All you gotta do is find a horse that's the right size for you! And a lot of places that do lessons will have a variety of lesson horses in different shapes and sizes, just like the people who ride them! 

4 hours ago, MiaulinTheCat said:

Looks like you're doing great so far, mellon nin! Congratulations!

Everything you've posted about boyfriend + wedding stuff...it's adorable. Completely, extra adorable. Love it. I hope you have the best of weddings when the time comes! :)

Hehe thanks Miaulin! I was looking for your page the other day, are you doing a challenge this month? 

Challenge Update:

HOLY COW GUYS! Guess what I did?! 

I rode my bike 25.7 miles in 2 hours! I enjoyed myself SO MUCH! It's one of those perfect days that herald autumn where it's cool enough to be outside past 9 am, and a cool breeze refreshes you. The birds were out like crazy, and it's the beginning of grasshopper season, which made for tons of tiny little projectiles as I cruised by. I was chased by 2 pairs of dogs, but they didn't catch me, cause I'm like lightning. ;) 

I was planning to do 20 miles, which I haven't done in over a year, I thought it'd be a challenge, but totally doable. The trail is well-paved and mostly flat, following the old rail road tracks, and it goes for something like 40 or 50 miles (it's AMAZING and right by my house, I'm so blessed). So, I go 10 miles one way, turn around, and I end up right behind this gentleman on a road bike. I pass him, he passes me, we go on like this for about 2 miles, until we both get chased by these stray dogs on the path, and end up abreast.

So we start chatting, and he is SEVENTY years old, and riding 60 miles round trip from North Salt Lake (about a 40 minute drive from where I started). I'm like, "heh, I'm riding 20 and I'm getting tired...." But he was SO nice, that I decided to continue with him past my usual turn to go home, which is how I ended up almost 6 miles further than I had planned. We were about the same pace, which was nice cause I didn't feel like I had to push to try to keep up, but boy I was tired the last mile or 2! 

When we reached my turn, we shook hands and said thanks for the fun ride and parted ways. He's what I call a "single serving friend," and I'm really glad I got to spend the second half of my ride with him. 

I thought, "here is this guy, in his 70s, he's had a knee replacement and a spinal fusion, and he still trail runs and rides his bike 60 miles once a month and tons besides that. His body is incredible, because it does all the things he wants it to do, and it's capable of amazing things, even as he's aging."  This led me to the thought, "MY body is incredible, because it does all the things I ask it to do, and more than I even thought it could!" Who cares that I don't look like a Victoria Secret model? I can do lots of cool things, and the more I work on training it, the more cool things I'll be able to do! 

At my work, you see that there's a lot of variation in what it means to age. I want to be like my single serving friend, and build and protect my body so that it can continue to do amazing things till the end of my life. 

• Like 4

Woot for the ride and the realization that your body is incredible.

• Like 3

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

9 minutes ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Hehe thanks Miaulin! I was looking for your page the other day, are you doing a challenge this month? 

I'm sitting this one out and lurking for the time being. :)

13 minutes ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Challenge Update:

HOLY COW GUYS! Guess what I did?! 

I rode my bike 25.7 miles in 2 hours! I enjoyed myself SO MUCH! It's one of those perfect days that herald autumn where it's cool enough to be outside past 9 am, and a cool breeze refreshes you. The birds were out like crazy, and it's the beginning of grasshopper season, which made for tons of tiny little projectiles as I cruised by. I was chased by 2 pairs of dogs, but they didn't catch me, cause I'm like lightning. ;) 

I was planning to do 20 miles, which I haven't done in over a year, I thought it'd be a challenge, but totally doable. The trail is well-paved and mostly flat, following the old rail road tracks, and it goes for something like 40 or 50 miles (it's AMAZING and right by my house, I'm so blessed). So, I go 10 miles one way, turn around, and I end up right behind this gentleman on a road bike. I pass him, he passes me, we go on like this for about 2 miles, until we both get chased by these stray dogs on the path, and end up abreast.

So we start chatting, and he is SEVENTY years old, and riding 60 miles round trip from North Salt Lake (about a 40 minute drive from where I started). I'm like, "heh, I'm riding 20 and I'm getting tired...." But he was SO nice, that I decided to continue with him past my usual turn to go home, which is how I ended up almost 6 miles further than I had planned. We were about the same pace, which was nice cause I didn't feel like I had to push to try to keep up, but boy I was tired the last mile or 2! 

When we reached my turn, we shook hands and said thanks for the fun ride and parted ways. He's what I call a "single serving friend," and I'm really glad I got to spend the second half of my ride with him. 

I thought, "here is this guy, in his 70s, he's had a knee replacement and a spinal fusion, and he still trail runs and rides his bike 60 miles once a month and tons besides that. His body is incredible, because it does all the things he wants it to do, and it's capable of amazing things, even as he's aging."  This led me to the thought, "MY body is incredible, because it does all the things I ask it to do, and more than I even thought it could!" Who cares that I don't look like a Victoria Secret model? I can do lots of cool things, and the more I work on training it, the more cool things I'll be able to do! 

At my work, you see that there's a lot of variation in what it means to age. I want to be like my single serving friend, and build and protect my body so that it can continue to do amazing things till the end of my life. 

Valkyrie, thank you for sharing this amazing story with us! Beyond inspirational! <3 

• Like 3

Matthew 25:34-40

7 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

I was chased by 2 pairs of dogs, but they didn't catch me, cause I'm like lightning. ;) 

This is greatness, lol! Those pups didn't stand a chance!

7 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Amen to that! This is my philosophy as well. I want to be able to play and do stuff with my boys for the rest of my life. My dad had health issues that kept him from doing stuff for years and I don't want to be like that. 

7 hours ago, MiaulinTheCat said:

Beyond inspirational! <3

Couldn't agree more!

W0lf

• Like 2

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

On August 26, 2016 at 1:56 PM, MiaulinTheCat said:

I'm sitting this one out and lurking for the time being. :)

Valkyrie, thank you for sharing this amazing story with us! Beyond inspirational! <3 

Aw, well I'm glad to see you!! 

Thanks, sometimes I feel like I talk way too much on here, but I had to share that happy encounter! 

On August 26, 2016 at 8:59 PM, Wild Wolf said:

Amen to that! This is my philosophy as well. I want to be able to play and do stuff with my boys for the rest of my life. My dad had health issues that kept him from doing stuff for years and I don't want to be like that. 

W0lf

Exactly! I want to be able to keep up with any hypothetical children I have some day haha. 

Week 1 Recap:

Exercise: 3/3 (Running, strength training, and my long bike ride, yay!) 

Water: 7/7 

Tracking: 7/7 Weekly Average: 1387 (And I lost .8 lbs, which is what I gained last week when I wasn't tracking, so that was nice to see tracking really does help me stay mindful of what I'm eating!) 

Bedtime: 7/7 (sorta kinda sorta...I was within 10 minutes every night, but not necessarily on the dot...but I'm counting it because I was in bed, I just hadn't shut everything off quite on time...yeah, I know, I'm cheating.) 

Laundry: 1.5/1 (I say 1 and a half because I actually washed 2 loads, but I didn't put any of it away until just now, so, phew, that was close! My room seems a lot cleaner (though it's still a disaster zone, it's just that you can see the floor now), and I haven't done ALL of the laundry, but it's better than it was.)

Soccer: Soccer is in between seasons, I have to wait and see when the next season starts up. 

Budget: I am sticking to my budget (so much easier to do now that I actually have an income), and I spoiled my mom and myself by using my miscellaneous budget category to buy two Leuchtturm1917 dot grid notebooks for bullet journaling! OMG! They arrived yesterday and I AM SO IN LOVE!! And mom and I discovered printables (which is how non-artsy people like me make their journals cute!), and we got some graphite paper for tracing, and some new porous-tip colorful pens (for the craic!), and we've been playing with them all day. 

I start my Sunday through Thursday schedule tomorrow so I guess I better go to bed, cause it's a work night. 

Ranger on!!

• Like 3

I just finished my first Sunday at work, it went pretty well! My productivity (scheduled treatment time vs total time spent in the facility) was actually a lot better today than normal, I think because I didn't have my awesome therapy teammates to distract me. =p  

So...bed time was a total bust last night, despite all my best intentions. I was in bed by 9:30, but I wasn't sleepy at all...so I took a half dose of over the counter sleeping medicine, and out came the Nerd Fitness forums while I waited for it to kick in. It was about 10:30 before I was actually "phone off" in bed...The bed time is the hardest part of this challenge for me!  I think I'm gonna have to buckle down and figure out a routine, cause this winging it thing just isn't cutting it.

• Like 3

I haven't looked at printables. I'll have to check that out. Thinking about doing the bullet journals, something cute and artsy might help me just do it.

Following a set routine does help me get to bed on time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I haven't looked at printables. I'll have to check that out. Thinking about doing the bullet journals, something cute and artsy might help me just do it.

Following a set routine does help me get to bed on time.

Bedtime didn't happen again....tomorrow!!

I wanted to show you what I did with my printables. I'm the least artisty person, and I get really nervous/anxious when I try to do artsy things. But even i can do this! I did the hand lettering free style, but the key and the suitcases I traced over graphite paper and then colored in. :) it was fun!

• Like 2

Those look super cute. It might even help me be artistic.

• Like 3

Just gave ya a follow on IG :) The printables are really neat looking. Glad ya had a more productive day yesterday then you thought! You ready to kick week 2 in the shins and run away laughing manically? Good! Cuz I am too!

W0lf

• Like 2

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

10 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Those look super cute. It might even help me be artistic.

Tracing makes artists out of all of us!

2 hours ago, Agnarr said:

Love the printables! they look awesome on your journal.

Really enjoyed the bike story

Hehe thanks!

17 minutes ago, Wild Wolf said:

Just gave ya a follow on IG :) The printables are really neat looking. Glad ya had a more productive day yesterday then you thought! You ready to kick week 2 in the shins and run away laughing manically? Good! Cuz I am too!

W0lf

Uh yeah, totally! I just kicked Run #1 of this week in the teeth...there may or may not have been maniacal laughter... (there definitely was)

• Like 1

I'm all tired and stuff this week. I was in bed going to sleep by 9:50 last night (bedtime is my arch nemesis this challenge, I've been consistently late by 15-20 minutes, but having the goal for 9:30 is getting me in bed and trying to sleep before 10, so that is progress), but I woke up at 5 this morning, instead of 6, and couldn't get to sleep the night before, and I'm feeling it. I like my 8 to 8.5 hours of sleep in order to not be a major grumpy guss. 

I feel kind of emotionally/mentally worn out. I haven't had much to give the last few days to anybody, but especially to my BF; I've been slacking in that department.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Agnarr said:

Lack of sleep can be a total b*tch, hang in there girl. 

If you find the time, squeeze a 20min power nap on your shedule. Works like a charm for me

Thanks bud x I did not get to take a nap unfortunately, but now I get to go to bed, yay! 

So, I thought I only had 4 hours of treatment (based on the schedule I saw lat night), so I went in an hour early, thinking I'd knock out my sessions by noon. Thank god I went in early, I ended up having 6.5 hours of treatment and an hour and a half of unscheduled new hire training, plus my documentation, plus all of the little things of unbillable time that add up (5 minutes here, helping with a transfer, 10 minutes there helping someone with their confounded confounding shoulder sling etc) . Nearly 10 hours later I crawled home, having missed my riding lesson entirely and feeling rather like a pancake. Also, we're having a very important state survey of our facility this week, and they are having lunch catered all week. Yesterday was amazing local Mexican food. Today, I was going to resist, but it was the pie pizzeria. Tomorrow, I shall resist regardless of what it is. 

On a brighter note, my patient that fell way back on my first week, it was his birthday so I bought him cupcakes (the way his face lit up will feed my spirit for weeks!) and we danced a little bit (carefully! Plus that totally counts as dynamic balance, right @Marauder?! :p) during our session, and he told me that I made his day feel special. I know that I am there to provide a specialized and skilled service, but sometimes it feels more important to make someone feel cared about.

• Like 3

In the words of @Sloth the Enduring, I "ate like an arsehole" this entire week, and i feel like a slug.

Basically, this week so far gets a big fat zero as far as compliance for anything goes. But tomorrow I will do better, and the next day and so on and so forth. 

• Like 2

How thoughtful of you to bring your patient cupcakes for his birthday, and dance with him. You are awesome at your job, it is obviously a good fit for you.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

How thoughtful of you to bring your patient cupcakes for his birthday, and dance with him. You are awesome at your job, it is obviously a good fit for you.

Thanks EG! A big part of why I chose a long-term/acute care facility was that I wanted to be more than a pit-stop in the day of a busy person. I wanted to be a meaningful part of a person's life, whether it's because I help them recover from an accident so they can go back to their homes, or because I take a moment to listen to someone who doesn't have that many listening ears anymore.

This week was long and hard, but I'm learning every day, and I'm so blessed to be where I am. I just talked to my mom (because I was almost in tears about feeling like I had to work out this weekend) and she said that maybe work this week was challenging enough without trying to load on more. So I'm gonna try to make better food choices this weekend, and if I feel inspired to exercise, then I will, but I won't beat myself up if I don't. I think I'm fighting off a bug of some kind, and I feel drained. It seems like a very un-Ranger thing to do, but I'm just gonna chill this weekend. 

• Like 1

Your mom sounds very wise. And chillin' can be a very Rangery and needful thing. Rangers need some down time in order to reenergize. Course the ultimate way to recharge is to visit Seattle.:)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Your mom sounds very wise. And chillin' can be a very Rangery and needful thing. Rangers need some down time in order to reenergize. Course the ultimate way to recharge is to visit Seattle.:)

My boyfriend call her American Ghandi...she's consistently right about most things lol.

We are coming the end of September, I think, for a cheeky 4 day weekend to visit some friends and go to the city. I'd love to meet up with you!

• Like 1