Valkyrie Keeps Going

x Valkyrie x

It lives!!!

AKA: I fell into a well but Lassie helped me climb out.

AKA: I haven't given up on my challenge, but I've changed the structure, cause I can't want to otherwise.

Last month, tracking everything was fun and helpful, this month it made me want to just abandon the quest entirely.so I'm continuing, just on Cadual Mode instead of Hardcore.

That being said, I rode my bike on Monday after work (~7 miles),  I just did a weight training session, and I should be hiking on Saturday, so my goal will be met, probably plus an extra session for running.

Warmup :

40 jumping Jacks

40 fast high knees

60 stairs (30 up, 30 down) with 15# sandbag, moderate pace. 

Workout completed with my 15# sandbag throughout:

4x10 press-ups (arms go straight up in standing, is that called a pressup?)

4x10 chest presses 

2x10 overhead triceps extensions

2x10 squats

2x15 deadlifts

I wasn't gonna do it, but I saw that it's Betty White's birthday today. She's 94! And I remembered why I exercise: to maintain health and encourage a long and happy life doing things I like to do.

• Like 3

Glad you were able to find your way out of the well:) The sandbag workout looks fun!

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Thanks for the support guys,  the well was deep but I ain't no quitter! :P

Sooo I joined a gym today! Early morning darkness was wrecking my running schedule,  and I can't want to run in the dark and the cold...so I got a gym membership and it's really cool!! 

There's all the standard free weights, cardio, there's a pool, and a large open section labeled Functional Training that has astro turf, it has a 100 foot lane for sprints or other sorts of things (I saw a lady doing these squat jump things down the line), box jumps, bosu balls, a climbing rope thing, and it all looks so fun! Oh and there's a punching bag and like a jungle gym thing, too!

I get a free fitness assessment/personal training session, and it's tomorrow. I'm trying to figure out what I tell the guy. 

My goals are:

1.Body composition change, from ~27% to maybe 22%? Or something. 

2. I want to be able to do a pushup and pullup.

3.Run 5k without stopping.

4.Overall strengthening to be a bad ass who doesn't get hurt at work and can do cool stuff.

5. Agility stuff for sports? (soccer, and future katie wants to play gaelic)

@Wild Wolf, the functional training area definitely made me think of you!

Any tips on what I should say to this guy tomorrow?

• Like 2

Sounds like  very cool gym!

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

5 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Sounds like  very cool gym!

I think it is! I've been a gym member before at other places, with zero success. But I'm at a place in my fitness journey that I've never been, having already regularly exercised more this year than ever in my life, and with a base of knowledge (thanks school) and a support group (thanks NF family) that I've never had before. I know I can do it. You and my NF friends inspire me to believe it's not a pipe dream!

Now I've got the tools and space to do All The Things!

• Like 2

That escalated quickly. Gym membership to personal training in a day and a half. (I didn't bite on the hard sell, I made them wait for me to think about it)

I am going to do personal training, once a week, for 6 months. *laughs nervously* I am not a committing person (unless I'm being committed, to like, the loony bin, that's a thing that could happen). I am a big, fat FLAKE, and I don't like to make plans a week in advance, let alone say "I will do this, every week, for months." And yet. 

It's the same cost as my riding lessons, which I've ixnayed, because I felt like my trainer wasn't giving me much instruction, so it's not like it's really more money...it's just that I signed a piece of paper that said I would do it, and with the lessons I just show up or could cancel if i wanted to (which, if she had been more what I was looking for in a teacher, I would never cancel, I love riding too much, so, point made, it's not cheaper!)... I even scheduled my first session on Friday, so I have no excuses. 

Can you imagine, guys? If I were to continue eating healthy like I am, and consistently work out in a logical progression, for 6 whole months (and beyond!), what my body could do (and, holy cow, what am I even gonna look like?) at the end of that time frame?? This is a thing that could actually happen. And I feel really excited, and kind of nervous. This is a thing I have NEVER done before. I have NEVER been fit, and I've never worked out for more than 2 months consistently, and definitely not to an intensity that was ever more than mildly uncomfortable (I sweated for 5 minutes, therefore it counts...oh, it doesn't?).

Here we go! 

• Like 4

This challenge has been sort of successful in its own way. I'm figuring out what works and what doesn't and I'm still moving in the right direction weight-wise. 

Calorie counting is definitely working as I work to cut the extra floof in preparation for making some gainzzzz, and I'm going to make a recipe index with the calories per serving (and serving size) of our most frequent favorites, so I don't skip counting due to the inconvenience of having to figure the calories out. I seem to be losing whether I count or not, so far, but it helps to keep me accountable. Plus my mom has lost 10 lbs in the past 6 weeks and she's counting consistently, so I want to be a helper, not a stumbling block for her.

Meal planning and subsequent meal

prep on the weekends works REALLY well, and makes life so much easier, but I gotta buckle down and do it! 

Working out after work is kind of nerve wracking because it's a busy time at the gym and all the beautiful people intimidate me. I feel like every time I approached a piece of equipment I had to draw on my 20 seconds of courage because I felt so silly and out of place. But I sweated and my arms got all tired, so I'm pleased. Tomorrow I have my first official personal training session, and I'm excited to get a little guidance. I'm ready to work to maintain my strength while I lose fat, hopefully get some newbie improvement as my muscles become more efficient, and get better at all the things.

• Like 7
38 minutes ago, Agnarr said:

so much awesomeness on that last post :) Enjoy your personal training session!

seconded

• Like 1

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

On 9/8/2016 at 10:03 PM, x Valkyrie x said:

Thanks for the support guys,  the well was deep but I ain't no quitter! :P

Sooo I joined a gym today! Early morning darkness was wrecking my running schedule,  and I can't want to run in the dark and the cold...so I got a gym membership and it's really cool!! 

There's all the standard free weights, cardio, there's a pool, and a large open section labeled Functional Training that has astro turf, it has a 100 foot lane for sprints or other sorts of things (I saw a lady doing these squat jump things down the line), box jumps, bosu balls, a climbing rope thing, and it all looks so fun! Oh and there's a punching bag and like a jungle gym thing, too!

I get a free fitness assessment/personal training session, and it's tomorrow. I'm trying to figure out what I tell the guy. 

My goals are:

1.Body composition change, from ~27% to maybe 22%? Or something. 

2. I want to be able to do a pushup and pullup.

3.Run 5k without stopping.

4.Overall strengthening to be a bad ass who doesn't get hurt at work and can do cool stuff.

5. Agility stuff for sports? (soccer, and future katie wants to play gaelic)

@Wild Wolf, the functional training area definitely made me think of you!

Any tips on what I should say to this guy tomorrow?

Oh man, that little area looks and sounds like my cup of tea for sure! Too bad we didn't live near one another because you could meet me there once a week and we could practice speed drills and such :) 

1 hour ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Working out after work is kind of nerve wracking because it's a busy time at the gym and all the beautiful people intimidate me.

But...but you're beautiful as well, ya know ;). Don't let them fools intemidate you! just remember that you're training for YOU and not them. YOU are there to take care of business. This is a great step for you, Valkyrie, and I'm excited for your first official training session tomorrow. Show 'em who's boss!

valkyrie_by_alexruizart-d6xy1sx.png

W0lf

• Like 3

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

7 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Working out after work is kind of nerve wracking because it's a busy time at the gym and all the beautiful people intimidate me. I feel like every time I approached a piece of equipment I had to draw on my 20 seconds of courage because I felt so silly and out of place.

Big guns don't earn nearly as much respect in the gym as focus and hard work. Just remember that everyone there is more concerned about their own progress than they are about the people around them!

• Like 4

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Thanks guys x I went again today and it's still not the start of the actual training,  it was another assessment to check out my current level of fitness and identify any glaring problems (like ROM and instability and stuff). I guess she had to do it again officially since i signed up fof the training. I was impressed, the lady picked up on my apparent leg length discrepancy  (it's only "apparant" because my legs are actually the same length, but my right hip bone likes to tilt), but I know how to fix it...it's just that I never do the work to build the muscle to make it stay. Darn lax ligaments, making me do work to have normal alignment.  we ran through some exercises, and I had a one rep max on an incline pushup, so she had me do wall pushups instead lol.   I did all the exercises again after she left. My arms were shaky and tired but I still felt pretty fresh, so I went and jogged a trail along the river and completed my C25K week 4 run 2.  

I ran for 7 minutes without stopping, and hit a personal record for my mile time (11:31!). Plus, the September air revitalized my soul, which has been weary lately.

I feel back on track and excited to be moving so much! Thanks for sticking with me, guys. 

• Like 3
On 8/20/2016 at 8:18 AM, x Valkyrie x said:

Challenge Reflections

What Went Well:...

I love This!

Meal planning made eating healthy mindless and easy, and easy to track since it was all planned out.

I am hopping to acquire some points in this skill- to Role play- I am an apprentice seeking a tutor-

NOTE: A real master will not take me on as a student until I prove I I have what it takes.

Where Things Fell Apart:

Sounds familiar- From 'Level Up Your Life' I feel like I have been pulling more mobs then i can tank.

3. Create budget and initiate Dave Ramsay's Debt Snowball to eradicate my debt so I can move to Ireland and be with the love of my life. 

I Tried this too- I found YNAB to be an 'adaption of it that is more practical.

Feels like a Derp- som how I pulled last Challenger's thread

-Crawls off to the corner of the burning guild tent

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Week #0Food logging: ☑☑☑ Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Week #1Food logging:  Movement☐☐☐☐

Week #2Food logging:  Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Week #3Food logging: ☐☐☐ Movement☐☐☐

Week #4Food logging: ☐☐☐☐☐ Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Previous challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #4.5 #5

Level 3 Lycan Ranger

Workout audiobook: Patriot Games

Looking for accountability buddies: Strava My FitnessPal Moov Google Fit

6 minutes ago, Jack Ryan- Rebel Recruit said:

I love This!

I am hopping to acquire some points in this skill- to Role play- I am an apprentice seeking a tutor-

NOTE: A real master will not take me on as a student until I prove I I have what it takes.

Sounds familiar- From 'Level Up Your Life' I feel like I have been pulling more mobs then i can tank.

I Tried this too- I found YNAB to be an 'adaption of it that is more practical.

Feels like a Derp- som how I pulled last Challenger's thread

-Crawls off to the corner of the burning guild tent

No derp! It's nice to know my previous ramblings are not lost to the morass of long lost memory, and can still be relevant o current progress of myself and others! *feels all happy and stuff* 

Also, I'll have to check out that YNAB more closely, it looks like it might be a more user friendly version of the Dave Ramsay app I'm using (Every Dollar). 

• Like 1