ideas to replace protein shakes.

eco2pia

Ok, I am interested in trying paleo eventually. I have a large pantry to eat through first, and the financial situation will not allow me to scrap it all and start immediately. However. I could easily give up all the non-paleo foods but ONE...whey shakes. They are a perfect fit, cheap and so convenient.

I am a college student and mom, and constantly on the go. I need a lower calorie, portable and preferably shelf stable source of protein...Jerky is the ONLY thing that comes to mind and it is only really shelf stable if it has lots of salt. I also doubt I could slam it back at 7am, between the gym and the college... anybody have any better ideas? I suppose chicken chunks...but I seriously eat in the car, while driving about half a mile. A beverage is better--clean, fast, portable. Suggestions?

Never cheat off the dumb kid.

I try to stick as close to 100% Paleo as possible, and I have a protein shake every morning. I've tried eating a full sized breakfast, green smoothies, IF...everything except the shake leaves me starving by 10 am.

Since I workout early in the morning, I use the shake as my recovery meal, and it always keeps me full until well after lunchtime.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Well that is a relief. Because, seriously, they have made my life sooo easy. I am not sure how I could fit in the gym, a real breakfast, 8 hours of sleep (who am I kidding, I shoot for 5) and getting a crucial post-workout shower in before an 8:30 class...I am already up at 5:15, and the thought of attempting anything much more challenging was about to be a deal breaker!

My weekday breakfast is a protein shake, an apple and an ounce of raw almonds in my pocket. I drink the shake in the car, eat the apple on my walk across campus, and the almonds in class, lol. Oh, for the Cleaver family breakfast table... :)

Never cheat off the dumb kid.

I try to stick as close to 100% Paleo as possible, and I have a protein shake every morning. I've tried eating a full sized breakfast, green smoothies, IF...everything except the shake leaves me starving by 10 am.

Since I workout early in the morning, I use the shake as my recovery meal, and it always keeps me full until well after lunchtime.

I don't aim for 100% Paleo, more of like...an 80/20 split, but I also agree. If I'm working out I NEED that protein shake. On days where I take off I don't need much more than some eggs/meat of choice, but on work out days I normally want that AND a protein shake or just the shake. It's hard to be 100% anything, especially Paleo and then continuing to work out. You need that extra protein and in your case you need that easy to make meal.

Don't worry about the small things if they're helping you stay full (and thus, happy) and getting the job done. You can't be perfect. :)

if you're struggling with making breakfast i do these for when i'm on the 6am-2pm shift (granted i get up at 4:30 to make a breakfast and eat this at work but i could just eat it before hand but this way works well for me) http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?4076-Primal-Breakfast-Recipie

I just started making something similar. Just take out a lot of the veggies. I don't like a lot of them. The first one I quickly whipped up was just bacon and eggs. Next time I make one I'd like to add some sausage and some other yummy things.

if you're struggling with making breakfast i do these for when i'm on the 6am-2pm shift (granted i get up at 4:30 to make a breakfast and eat this at work but i could just eat it before hand but this way works well for me) http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?4076-Primal-Breakfast-Recipie

Thanks! I was just asking about breakfast in another thread (new to this, going to try it for 6weeks and see how I feel). This looks like a good solution to the "i don't always have time to cook breakfast" problem.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Orc Ranger

Str: 7, Dex: 2, Sta: 7, Con 4, Wis: 1, Cha: 3

I make oven omelets too. One will last 3 days and I change the ingredients weekly. This weeks is chicken/spinach/onion/peppers. I have been debating protein shakes since I'm a little worried about my cholesterol (My best friend's husband was told he had a serious heart attack risk. He's only 27! And in decent shape too.) Combined with my mom telling me she has high cholesterol... its got me wondering if I should swap to shakes for breakfast on the days I lift.

Go Big or Go Home! Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk.

Wake Your Dreams...

I can't give up my protein shakes either. I love them, they are easy and sometimes I just like drinking over eating..LOL. I use coconut milk and vanilla whey, add some ice, its like a vanilla milkshake.

1 Rep Max Deadlift-180lbs

1 Rep Max Clean and Jerk-90lbs

1 Rep Max Push Press-70lbs

1 Rep Max Back Squat-135lbs

1 Rep Strict Press-65lbs

Fitocracy

2 weeks till Hawaii

Guys...get it right...it's "egg monster." ;)

I've been having this every day for like...weeks. It's great! And easy to make. I'd been eating a lot of bacon (looooove bacon) so I wanted to switch it up this week: chorizo sausage. I'll have my first piece tomorrow; I'll let you know how it goes!

Also agree with everyone else on the protein shake thing :)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I agree, if you really love your protein shakes, and they fit into your lifestyle and are helping your goals... then keep them. If that's the only non-paleo thing you're doing then I'd say that's an a-okay thing to have.

I do love my coconut milk smoothies though: 1/3 cup canned coconut milk, banana, couple frozen strawberries, some cinnamon... you could add spinach or almond butter, too. A little more time-consuming than just a protein shake, but very tasty and keeps you really full!!