Level 1 Newbie reporting for duty!

Totally new to Nerd Fitness, referred here by another female gaming friend and I am completely in love with the "leveling up" concept. I am a married mom of two, business owner, and geek extraordinaire, I've been fit before in my life, and right now...not so much. I am following the newbie missions and today I did the Angry Birds workout for the first time (that combo is genius, I tell you!). This is something I can do, and I'm pretty flipping psyched about it. I'm looking forward to learning more, and leveling up my life.

-Sue K. in MA

Oh dear, I'm a many striped geek. I'm a sci-fi/fantasy reader, love action movies, movies based on comics, but I've never been much of a comic reader; I've played every Blizzard game since the original Warcraft, I'm a cooking geek (right now obsessed with Japanese cuisine, we also have a huge garden and I freeze/preserve), a scrapbooking, knitting, and sewing geek. I also geek out about ancient history, genealogy, engineering (I have a BS in ME), and probably several other hobbies/interests that are dormant right now.

Sweet! Good point that we can geek out over a wide variety of subjects. My degree is in Mechanical Engineering, too.

Mmmmmm... Japanese... Udon, sushi... NOW I'm hungry!

I've been making my own miso soup from scratch.....making big batches of dashi broth with kombu and bonito flakes and freezing it. It's sooooo good, and really pretty darn healthy. I now have three different types of seaweed in my house, all for different functions. ;)

And holy cow, I just took a gander at your profile and see you're a hammer thrower....I threw in college, and for a bit for fun afterwards, but I haven't been in a circle in over 10 years. I'd love to get back throwing again.

Another hammer thrower??? That's awesome! Of course, I think that qualifies us for nerd status all by itself. I 'retired' in '95, threw highland games for a couple of years (98-00) and then picked up the hammer again for a lark in 2004, and have been throwing ever since. The Masters competitions are pretty fun. I went to the world championships back in July and really enjoyed myself. The next ones are in Brazil. I think Masters track is fairly strong in Massachusetts (it sucks here). I think there's a throwers club called twilight throws, or something like that.

And by the way... if I break my diet, I blame you. That miso sounds heavenly. I love seaweed.