AthenaMM Runs With It

AthenaMM

I don't like starting my challenges on a Sunday, so this challenge starts on Monday August 22.

Last challenge went really well and helped me get things back on track after a couple of months of floundering. I'm continuing on with those habits this challenge, while adding a little to most of them to make sure I keep moving forward. I've decided to change how I do my challenges though. When I was doing this on my own I had managed to get rid of the "all or nothing" attitude by just striving for progress. Unfortunately having challenges with grades has undone that and anytime I'm not doing a challenge or things aren't going perfectly I'm sliding back into old habits. I really like doing the challenges and I love the camaraderie and support here, I just need to change how I do (and view) the challenges. So I'll be treating the challenges more like a battle log. I have healthy habits that I've created and others that I'm working on. I'll be keeping up with how I'm doing on those habits here. I'm also going to start having a list of things I want to do or try with the intent of completing one or two of those every challenge (thanks for the idea Elastigirl!). I'm going to try a point system as a reward (for habits and the extras), though points are ongoing. They don't have to be earned during a specific challenge and they'll be earned between challenges as well.

I'll also be running my first 5K this challenge. It's a virtual 5K started by fellow NF rebels called the Rebel Run and it seems like a good place to start. Being able to run a 5K was one of the goals I set a few months ago.

Fitness Habits:

• Exercise every day. A 5 minute walk or 20 squats can be used if I'm tired or short on time. This is a pretty firm habit. I earn one point for every day of exercise
  • Run once a week. There is no time or distance limit on this, but I have been working my way up to a 5K and I need to continue that at least until the Rebel Run. I would like to run 3 miles once a week after the Rebel Run, but I'm not going to make that a requirement, at least not yet. This will earn me an extra point on top of the usual point for exercising, so two points.
  • Strength Train twice a week. I'm still doing the Startbodyweight program, but I'm not going to limit myself to a specific program. This will also earn an extra point so two points for each strength training day.
  • HIIT session once a week. This month I'm adding a HIIT session to the week. I'm not sure yet how well this will go, so right now it can be any type of HIIT session. I could do a walk with sprint intervals, a Tabata type workout or a 10-20-30 workout. This will also earn an extra point, so two points total.
  • Yoga/Mobility/Stretching every day. I've put a minimum time limit of 10 minutes on this because the usual stretching I do after my strength workout lasts almost 9 minutes and I don't want to count that. I'll earn one point for every day I do this. I also want to try some of the intermediate routines this month, but I'm adding that to the list of things I want to try.
  • Average 11,000 steps/day every week. I thought about increasing the step average, but sometimes it's still tough to get enough steps so I'm going to stick with this number for at least a little longer. I'll earn 5 points for every week that I meet this average.

Healthy Eating Habits

I'm not attaching any points to the healthy eating habits, because I still think I do better when I'm just treating these as habits with no reward or punishment attached. I am going to discuss how these are going though, so I still want to make them a part of the challenge.

• Eat at least one fruit or veggie with every meal and snack. I generally try to get 2-3 with every meal and 1-2 with each snack, but I'm working on making it a habit to have at least 1 (and potatoes don't count) no matter what.
  • Put my fork (spoon, sandwich or whatever) down between bites and don't pick it up until I've swallowed that bite. I'm still in the first stages of this habit and I still forget, but I usually remember after a few bites. It definitely helps me be more mindful while I eat and I recognize when I'm full a lot better.

Other Habits

• Do the pared down version of my morning routine with the daily cleaning added. There is no daily cleaning on Sundays or Tuesdays because those are hubby's off days. There's still one more part to add to morning routine so I'll earn 0.5 point for the pared down routine and an extra 0.25 point for the daily cleaning. That way when I'm doing the full routine it will earn one point.
  • I'm still keeping up with the produce goal as well, but I'm not assigning any points to it. I'll continue to measure it the same as before. I'll make a note of each of the different types of fruit and veggies I buy and then decide how much of each type I throw away. For example let's say I bought 10 different types of fruits and veggies. Then I threw away half the broccoli, a quarter of the lettuce and all of the oranges. That would mean I threw out 17.5% of the produce. Freezing stuff (if it's freezable) before it goes bad is allowed. 

--[I haven't finished coming up with the list of things to try, but I wanted to go ahead and get my challenge up. This is a work in progress and hopefully I'll get it finished in the next couple of days.

Things to Try/Do

I'll earn one point for each of these that I do.

• Try an intermediate yoga routine]--

Rewards

I'll earn a reward for every 100 points that I earn. I may try to come up with more specific rewards later, but this is the general framework.

• Buy a new class on Craftsy
  • Spend $20 on craft supplies
  • Spend $20 on clothes
  • Spend $20 on Exercise/Fitness (equipment, classes or whatever)
  • Like 7

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

Following again!

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Following again!

Thanks!

Oh, I LOVE, love, love this challenge!  Lots of flexibility but still really strong habit-building goals.  And crafty rewards!  I can spend hours shopping for paint, markers and paper, [emoji14].   

Thank you! And oh, craft shopping. I love craft shopping. Sometimes I go cruise through Hobby Lobby for a couple of hours with absolutely no purpose other than looking at everything. And I'm not usually much of a shopper. My mom says I shop like a man, I go in with the intention of buying something specific, I find it, I buy it and I leave. But that NEVER happens in a craft store.

• Like 1

Battle Log

5 minutes ago, AthenaMM said:

Thank you! And oh, craft shopping. I love craft shopping. Sometimes I go cruise through Hobby Lobby for a couple of hours with absolutely no purpose other than looking at everything. And I'm not usually much of a shopper. My mom says I shop like a man, I go in with the intention of buying something specific, I find it, I buy it and I leave. But that NEVER happens in a craft store.

Oh my. That's like the worst place to do that in. Hobby Lobby has some of the greatest seasonal discounts. I'll walk through and see 60% off and not even know I needed a seasonal decorative jar.

• Like 2

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

3 hours ago, AthenaMM said:

I like to get a cup of coffee and browse Hobby Lobby or the Art supply store.  Same thing with a book store.  Fills my soul. 

• Like 2

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

9 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Oh my. That's like the worst place to do that in. Hobby Lobby has some of the greatest seasonal discounts. I'll walk through and see 60% off and not even know I needed a seasonal decorative jar.

That is soooo true! I find many, many things I didn't know I needed at Hobby Lobby. That's what makes that a good reward! The closest Michaels is a little out of the way, but Hobby Lobby is right next to my grocery store. Very dangerous!

6 hours ago, Lightning said:

I like to get a cup of coffee and browse Hobby Lobby or the Art supply store.  Same thing with a book store.  Fills my soul. 

Oh yeah, bookstores are also my thing. Of course I almost exclusively read on an ereader now, so when I'm cruising a bookstore I don't buy anything. Instead I take pictures of books I like so I can find them later online. It's still fun though and if it's a particularly uncommon book I do go ahead and buy the book instead of trying to find it as an ebook. I used to spend hours at Half Price Books every few months, to stock up. I miss that. Crafts, books and computers, these are the reasons we need Nerd Fitness to remind us to get up and exercise!

• Like 2

Battle Log

Zero Week Summary

This didn't feel like the best week, but I finished with 20 points so it definitely wasn't as bad as I felt like it was. I missed one of the strength training workouts and only averaged about 10,800 steps but I hit most of my goals.

Fitness Habits: I exercised every day and did yoga every day. I ran one day, did a Darebee HIIT workout (Hear Me Roar) and did one strength training workout. I averaged 10,798 steps. Lots of rain this week made it more difficult to get my steps, plus I was just lazy.

Healthy Eating Habits: There were a couple of meals/snacks this week where I didn't have any fruit or veggies. There were also about 3 meals/snacks where I forgot to put my fork, etc down. Neither of these are habits yet, but I remember them at some point before or during the meal so it's getting there. At least half of the "missed" ones were conscious choices.

Other Habits: I did my pared down morning routine 5 days this week and did the daily cleaning twice. I didn't decide that I was adding the daily cleaning until halfway through the week, so twice means I only missed one. Didn't toss any produce and finished off any leftover veggies that I cooked. I'm sure I finished off several veggies and some fruit, but I didn't really keep track.

• Like 2

Battle Log

Day 1, Monday August 22, 2016

My morning routine got thrown off at the very beginning when it started to pour rain when I was walking the dog. Once we got back to the house we were soaked and I had to spend some time drying us both off (and the floor) and I had to change clothes and find a place to hang my shoes to dry. It's shark week and I'm already having a major problem with fatigue so after that I just wanted to give up for the rest of the day. I finished the first part of my morning routine but planned to put off the rest of it, including my workout till much later. I always sit down, drink coffee and check email and the forums after the first part of the routine. After reading everyone's posts on NF my mood was better and I finished my morning routine and exercised when I was supposed to. The rest of the day went much better because of it. 

I pulled a muscle in my chest last week during the bench dips in my Startbodyweight workout. It hasn't been too bad, but it's weird and hard to know what's going to make it hurt and what isn't. The forearm straight leg raises made it hurt a little today, but nothing else did. Unfortunately it's been bothering me all day since, which hasn't been happening. I may have to leave those off next time.

Fitness Habits: I did the 15 min Twist and Align yoga routine. Today was a strength training day. I did the Startbodyweight workout with 3 sets and 1:30 rest between sets.

• Beginner Shrimp Squats - 7,7,7
  • Incline Pike Push-ups - 7,7,7
  • Forearm Straight Leg Raises - 8,8,8
  • 3/4 Push-ups +5 sec Eccentric Push-ups - 8,8,8;  I actually managed to do 8 in the last set this time but the last two reps were very ugly so I'm going to stick with this for at least one more workout.
  • Vertical Pulls - 8,8,7
  • Side Planks - 34 sec

I did the warm-up, but skipped the cool down because I was running behind.

I don't have all of my steps yet, but I hope to have around 12,000 by bedtime.

Healthy Eating Habits: I had at least 1 fruit or veggie with every meal and snack. I put my fork down between bites at both meals, but didn't think about it during my snack. It was a smoothie and carrots, so it's harder to remember for something like that.

Other Habits: I did my morning routine and cleaned all glass/screens which was my daily cleaning for today. I didn't toss any produce and finished off the lettuce and bell pepper.

• Like 1

Battle Log

On 8/23/2016 at 7:22 AM, Lightning said:

OOOh, your bodyweight work is really going to push me.  We are basically at the same place on exercises!  

Great job pushing yourself through the fatigue.  You ended up having a fantastic workout.  I think you should earn double points for all Shark Week workouts. :)

Uh oh! Competition! ;)  It feels like we should earn double points on EVERYTHING during shark week!

• Like 1

Battle Log

14 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I hate it enough when I got caught in the rainstorm, having to deal with a wet dog would make it triply frustrating. Yay for getting stuff done even with shark week. 

Thanks! It definitely makes it tougher. He's terrified of storms but luckily it was only (a LOT of) rain and no thunder or it would have been even more difficult.

Battle Log

Day 2, Tuesday August 23, 2016

I forgot to post in my zero week summary that I ran a full 5K for the first time last week. It rained all day on the day I like to run (and rain was forecast for the rest of the week as well) so I ran on the treadmill. I also ran it late in the day because I'd been trying to see if the rain would let up enough to run outside. It was easier than it has been (even on the treadmill), but I'm sure that's because I usually run before I eat anything. I really felt like I found my stride, but my lower back and hip still hurt for a few days afterwards. Today I ran the full 5K outside. It was tough, but I ran it a tiny bit faster than on the treadmill. I couldn't seem to find a good stride though, but my lower back and hip never hurt. That seems weird to me. If I run with what feels like a good stride it hurts and if the run feels choppier it doesn't hurt. I got really ticked at the MapMyFitness app after the run. I've used it a couple of times to measure the time and distance of my run, but this was the first time I was running a pre-plotted route as a workout. I noticed it wasn't announcing on the mile like it usually does, but I just thought it was a difference in how it does the planned route workouts. It still didn't announce anything when I got to the end of the route though and I ran for a few more yards just to make sure. When I checked on the app it had popped up an ad 5 seconds into my run and paused the workout. I'm very annoyed and want to use a different app, but I don't know of one that will do what I want. I'm open to ideas if anyone has any. 

Fitness Habits: I ran 3.1 miles outside in 42:08, which works out to a 13:35 min/mile pace. 

I did the 15 minute Runner's Stretches yoga routine since I did it about 20 minutes after my run.

I finished the day with 12,994 steps.

Healthy Eating Habits: I had at least 1 fruit or veggie with every meal and snack. I ate mindfully with one meal, but forgot with the other meal and snack. It was hubby's off day and it's harder to remember when I'm not eating alone.

Other Habits: I did my morning routine and I don't do any daily cleaning on Tuesdays. I didn't toss any produce and finished off the plums.

• Like 2

Battle Log

Day 3, Wednesday August 24, 2016

Errand day today so no trouble getting steps. I went to Sprouts and bought a lot of produce, so I have a bunch more that needs eaten now. I didn't do very well with the fruit and veggies today and I also ate too much even while eating mindfully. It was partly because I needed to prep some produce, partly because there was leftover pizza and partly because of shark week.

Fitness Habits: 30 minute walk for my workout. I wanted to do an easy workout since the past two workouts have been tough ones. 

I did the 15 minute Beginner Combination yoga routine.

I have just over 13,000 steps right now.

Healthy Eating Habits: I had 1 fruit and 2 veggies with breakfast, but none with the other meal or snack. I ate mindfully with both meals, but forgot with the snack, and I overate at dinner even though I was being mindful. I knew I was overeating and I didn't care.

Other Habits: I did my morning routine and vacuumed for the daily cleaning. I didn't toss any produce and didn't finish any off, but I bought a bunch of fresh produce which puts the total at 19 for the challenge so far.

• Like 2

Battle Log

12 hours ago, AthenaMM said:

I some how missed this post before. I totally stole the point idea from you! emoji1.png It's a great idea and I think it's definitely helping me view things differently.

Glad it's working. Always good to steal from another Rebel:lol:

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien