I can't unlock the door without the key! (kylesolo challenge)

kylesolo

latest?cb=20140807141159

(Let's hope my attempts are better than this)

So, as a brief recap from last time - I did okay! But vacation got in my way (look, I found something to blame!) and I backslid - I got a number of my goals done, some I didn't achieve how I want to, and there are some areas where I need some work. So let's work on this challenge.

clue_mrspeacock_soupsdelicious.gif?w=700

1. FOOD

In the last challenge, my goal was to plan out one week's worth of meals. I did it! I don't know that I necessarily like that, and I don't know that I'm the kind of person who can do that over and over and over again, week in and week out. So, I'm going to modify that a little bit.

My goal is to cook at least 2 meals per week, preferably more. I'd like to plan out what those two meals are ahead of time so that I'm not sitting on the couch browsing through different cook books until it's 10 at night and I decide not to eat anything at all. This is a case where a grocery service might help? I've never used one so I'm not totally clear on the specifics, but I'll figure it out.

This should hopefully be somewhat easier as breakfast is accounted for with eggs or a protein shake, so it's really only other meals I'm looking at. Problems will involve going out to eat - I know there are already scheduled times coming up where that will happen, so... I'll try to make sure to eat before hand, or at least spend some time thinking over the menu before I order. Not a big issue, but something to think about.

A - Plan more than 2 meals per week, do shopping in advance, be mindful when eating out

C - Plan 2 meals per week

tumblr_mtozo8og931r83n9go1_500.gif

2. EXERCISE

Exercise I can do - I've been doing it, but this past week hasn't been great. So I figure, make it a goal, right? Feel the burn? Whatever I'm supposed to call it.

I need to work out (body weight/gym) two to three times a week, and then do yoga in between, at least once. With my dog, I'm doing the walking (hurrah!), but I've got to do more than that.

A - Work out more than 2 times a week, do more than one session of yoga a week, keep active in general

C - Work out twice a week and do one session of yoga

tumblr_me07k5caDB1qakh43o7_r1_250.gif

3. SLEEP

Yeah, I still need to work on this one. This involves going to bed at a reasonable hour, not getting distracted by technology, and making sure that I'm sleeping and well rested at appropriate times. I need to look into various apps to stop me from getting distracted, which I know exist but I don't know if they work on Windows. I'd rather spend nights reading or practicing diagramming sentences than falling into the wikipedia wormhole.

A - Go to bed by 10:30 PM three or more nights a week.

C - Turn off all electronics by 10:00 PM three or more nights a week, but read or work on other things afterwards.

200w.gif

4. PLAN

I'm going to Australia in December. This is exciting!

However, I need stuff - and that includes travel gear, luggage, and plane/train tickets for traveling between destinations when I'm there. It also involves looking at my finances and making sure I'm not blowing all my money now, because that would suck. The goal is to get gear (practical gear, not fun gear - like adapters and luggage stuff and hats, not any big electronics) and also figuring out flights/train tickets for when I'm there - I know about the budget airlines. I also want to try to narrow down my list beyond just going to the reef. Skydiving? The bridge? Hanggliding? How expensive are all of these? Where can I do them at? That kind of thing.

By the end of the month I want to have transportation between cities figured out and at least one piece of equipment. Oh, and I need to find somebody who can watch my dog - right now I've got somebody who has to pay $250 for two weeks, but I want to see if I have other people who will be around during the holidays.

As I see it now, the biggest struggle is school starting back up. Usually, the first two weeks of school, I'm in crisis mode running around trying to fix everything. Seeing, though, as how this is my fourth year, hopefully things will look up. I don't know. We'll see.

• Like 4

Awesome goals! It sounds like you have things planned out nicely. 

I completely understand the hectic first week of school being hectic, hopefully things will go smoother for you this year :) What are you studying?

Best of luck to you in this challenge! I'm rooting for you!! 

PS: Clue is awesome ^_^ 

Weight Loss. 195lbs -> 135lbs (60lbs target loss)

0%
0%
22 hours ago, WritingWeaver said:

Awesome goals! It sounds like you have things planned out nicely. 

I completely understand the hectic first week of school being hectic, hopefully things will go smoother for you this year :) What are you studying?

Best of luck to you in this challenge! I'm rooting for you!! 

PS: Clue is awesome ^_^ 

Thanks, I'm hoping it's planned out well - it's a lot easier to make the small changes... so hopefully it works out.

I'm not studying anything, I'm teaching! Which means school is extra crazy because I have planning and testing and so on to take care of, and it usually happens weeks one and two.

On 8/21/2016 at 4:00 PM, kylesolo said:

My goal is to cook at least 2 meals per week, preferably more. I'd like to plan out what those two meals are ahead of time so that I'm not sitting on the couch browsing through different cook books until it's 10 at night and I decide not to eat anything at all.

What I've done is streamlined it and I walk into the store and get my weekly shopping done within 20 minutes with no list. I walk the border of the store - hit up frozen first and load up on vegetables, then head to the meats and grab what's on sale.  5ish packs of meat, then head to the fresh stuff and grab random items like onions, sweet potatoes, apples, and then randomly pick other things like beansprouts or something.  Then I go home and just Iron Chef it.  It works insanely well.  I batch cook everything for the week this way and only think about food for about 10 minutes a week.

chairman_kaga.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Teros said:

What I've done is streamlined it and I walk into the store and get my weekly shopping done within 20 minutes with no list. I walk the border of the store - hit up frozen first and load up on vegetables, then head to the meats and grab what's on sale.  5ish packs of meat, then head to the fresh stuff and grab random items like onions, sweet potatoes, apples, and then randomly pick other things like beansprouts or something.  Then I go home and just Iron Chef it.  It works insanely well.  I batch cook everything for the week this way and only think about food for about 10 minutes a week.

I like that confidence! I'm not totally at the Iron Chef place in my life yet, but soon, I hope! It would be so nice to get to that point - I know how to make certain recipes from scratch, but I'm not totally confident playing with ingredients because when I do it all turns into omelets...

The other issue is that, given the store I can walk to, there's not a lot I can get for protein - they have tofu and quinoa, but no jackfruit, no tempeh, no seitan, no vegetarian oyster sauce, etc. etc. etc. - and that's more what it's for, those obscure ingredients that I may not be able to get at the grocery store (also, I'm not totally comfortable cooking food a week in advance - I've tried, and I'm getting better, but I'm still not there yet.

I totally understand the meal prep woes - we have a similar issue at my house. When you say grocery service, do you mean like Blue Apron or like a grocery store delivery service? 

in our house, we do a two-fold meal prep thing. Once a month, we do a large grocery store trip (usually to a bulk store, because there are 6 of us) and stock up on freezer and pantry items for the month. Then every week, we do a smaller, fresh produce (and meat, but I'm thinking you don't eat it?) run. We meal plan a combination of what is on sale at the store and what we bulk shopped for. We also always have quick and easy meals on hand for when something unexpected comes up or we don't feel like cooking. What we end up doing is rotating through meals once a month. That way, we have our go to recipes and we don't worry about getting tired of eating the same things over and over again.