Leslie Knoping This.

durfette

CHALLENGE III

The one where I am done putting up with the current version of myself. 

nNU2xhDJgN3fW.gif

A quick recap about me:

I love reading.

I am a scientist. 

Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.

I have a frustrating foot injury.

I struggle with anxiety / depression / whathaveyou.

I need to stop eating all the sugar.

I'm struggling to get pregnant

and believe my unhealthy habits are part of the problem. 

I have probably ~30lbs to lose

And those adipose's days are NUMBERED. 

I'm a little late posting, but it's mostly lack of time.

I took Week Zero to test out some goals and try out what might or might not work

And I think this challenge is going to be the best one of all!

For this challenge, I'm done listening to the inner mean girl untethered to reality. I want to show myself compassion and love, so I'm going to have that be a driving force in this challenge....while I majorly overhaul my eating habits. I feel like my other challenges have been mental warm-ups, and with the fear of PCOS and other hormonal and physical issues preventing me from having babies, I feel ready to rise and roar to take on my dysfunctional relationship with food. This time definitely feels different for I am armed with one hell of a WHY, I have a sweet friend who struggles with similar stuff working out with me and pursuing similar diet and lifestyle goals, and I have the resources I need to succeed (YOU AMAZING PEOPLE, a therapist, a steady schedule, a rockin' husband).

So here they are:

Diet:

• follow adjusted 21 Day Fix diet (basically just following the red, green, purple, and yellow guidelines)
  • If a treat is desired, it must be dark chocolate or Halo Top ice cream
  • Options of treats with friends, as long as you're present and not crazy about it.
  • MEAL PREP MEAL PREP MEAL PREP
  • Create a physical collection of healthy go-to recipes 

Fitness (less emphasis, more of the same, much less rigid)

• Continue Nerd Fitness workouts 2-3x a week. 
  • Workout with friend 2x a week
  • Go on more walks
  • Possibly attend a spin class once a week

Life

• Eat out only once a week
  • Spend <$100 weekly on food
  • No social media in the morning (before work / church)

If they sound loosy-goosy, it's because THEY ARE. I know it's not really measurable, but I tried this mindset for all of Week Zero, and it made a really big difference. So I'm gonna give it a go. Rather from a points perspective, I am instead going to take it a day at a time. I won't tally up points this time, in part because that drove me bonkers in the last few challenges, and in part because it wasn't a motivating factor. I felt more like a chore. Instead, I'm going to judge a day purely based on YAY, NAY, or MEH. 

A "yay" day could look like this:

I felt in control of my eating

I ate well and followed the 21DF

I focused more on being present in social situations than what I was eating.

I didn't eat my emotions

I exercised

A"nay" day could look like this:

I felt really depressed or anxious

I didn't follow the diet plan

I binged on cravings rather than focused on fulfilling foods

I skipped a workout

A "meh" day could look like this:

Something happened that threw off the day's plan

I felt groggy and tired but still ate well / worked out

I slept a lot 

I felt drained socially and didn't want to do anything

This rating system is far more for personal documentation than any sort of "grading." And I think that's what I need right now. 

Things that have helped me to think about is something @Bookish Badger said:  "Maybe think of working on your goals like taking antibiotics when you don't feel sick anymore; you know if you don't finish the course the infection will just come back even worse so you keep taking them even tho that little voice is saying "this is stupid I feel fine." And you keep working on your goals even when there seems to be no point to it, so that when you get past this feeling you won't be back at square one. " How brilliant is that!? Definitely going to apply this thought process to my lows.

Also, getting out of the All-or-Nothing mentality as expressed in this article will help me a lot too. I'm following a lot of those concepts, like when I'm tired of salads, putting some bacon in it or grabbing a handful of cheezits to satiate a salt craving and leaving it at that. And not beating myself up for it. 

I'm looking forward to seeing some familiar faces and making some new acquaintances! So grateful for have such a great team by my side. Much love to those who have encouraged me so much so far. 

I'm gonna tackle this challenge like Leslie Knope challenges every endeavor: I'M ALL IN BABY. Bring on the memes and the battle cries!

q1zsIXcp8N2ne.gif

There you have it, ladies and gentlemen.

Let the games begin! 

• Like 7

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

6 hours ago, durfette said:

If they sound loosy-goosy, it's because THEY ARE. I know it's not really measurable, but I tried this mindset for all of Week Zero, and it made a really big difference. So I'm gonna give it a go.

It works for you, that what only matters. Good luck on your current challenge and long-term goals! I am following along to cheer for you (and to see more awesome memes). 

• Like 2

For what it’s worth: It’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start over. – F. Scott Fitzgerald

Current challenge, Previous challenges: 32, 1

I absolutely ADORE the day-by-day approach and your yay/nay/meh rating scale. It seems very natural and intuitive. When we think back on a week, that's how our impressions work, after all: "what a great week!" or "UGGGGGH what a week" or somewhere in the middle. Nobody looks back on a week and naturally thinks, "That was an 86-point week." Adding those concrete quantifications can definitely help sometimes, obviously, but I think there's a lot to be said for just paying more attention to the natural way our feelings sum things up for us.

And yes, @Bookish Badger really nailed it with that analogy. Maybe it's because I'm fanatical about finishing a course of antibiotics (and making sure everyone around me does the same! I strongly believe it's our duty to the community) but that really hit home. A large part of making a habit truly automatic is finding ways to do it even when it doesn't feel particularly rewarding. So it's good to make ourselves look a layer deeper for the benefit - sometimes the achievement is the simple fact that you found a way to stick to your routine even when it didn't feel exciting or even helpful.

And a huge cheer for compassion toward yourself. Especially with anxiety and depression hovering around the sidelines waiting for their chance to ruin your day, it's important to be an enthusiastic member of Team You. Celebrate your successes and be patient with your stumbles. Treat yourself the way you'd treat your husband or best friend or even a passing acquaintance (since we're often meaner to ourselves than we would be to randos on the subway...)

And I have my fingers crossed for you that you'll be able to welcome a new member to your family soon! I have a feeling you'll make a loving, thoughtful parent.

• Like 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!

I'm more of a Ron Swanson in my soul, but all respect to LK! :D 

Good luck with your challenge!  I like your goals, they sound meaningful rather than loose.  I hope your struggles ease and your foot heals!

• Like 3

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

Uhm, is working out six times a week going easy?

I really like the idea about reviewing by your overall impression!

But, uhm... This has been bothering me for a while now.

The planned format for the challenges is based on SMART goals and a school gradingsystem.

I think there was a sticky with that in the Challenge threads but somehow I can only find it in the Challenge FAQ here.

I tried doing this whole "earn a point for doing something for your Challenge (without looking at the accumulated points)"-thing as a change to get me back on focusing on the things that did happen, rather then crashing and brooding over three missed things in a whole challenge... Practically a wild trial-and-error adaption of a system I saw by someone else.

Somehow I've been seeing it a lot since that Challenge and it's kind of strange that I might have triggered that...

Hope you'll be having a lot of fun with the new teamworkouts!

Challenge: 0.1, 12, 3, 4, 5th, current (lost track)

Character

Wow thank you for the positive feedback! I really appreciate your comments and encouragement. :)

On 8/23/2016 at 9:02 AM, Vibrantella said:

I'm more of a Ron Swanson in my soul, but all respect to LK! :D 

I can get behind this! Especially since my passion for breakfast food is only closely rivaled by Ron Swanson himself. 

10l8MVei2OxbuU.gif

On 8/23/2016 at 2:49 PM, Casbin said:

Uhm, is working out six times a week going easy?

I definitely should have specified. Since I'm going all out in changing my diet, working out is taking second fiddle. For me to eat healthily, it takes a lot of willpower, so I need to make sleep a priority to make my diet a priority. I've noticed if I'm tired = I'm eating everything. So for me right now, my priorities are 1. Diet 2. Sleep 3. Working out. If I get enough sleep, then I'll workout in the morning. I really enjoy working out, so I don't think it'll become something I just skip. I do not plan to workout six times a week...There are weeks where I feel like i can exercise more, and I'll do more when I feel l like it. The workouts I listed were basically just options to choose from on the mornings when I feel alright. If it's a M-W-F, then I'll most likely be doing a NF weight training workout. T-Th-Sat will either be yoga, buddy workouts, or a spin class. 

Thanks for catching that!

On 8/23/2016 at 8:11 AM, Severine said:

When we think back on a week, that's how our impressions work, after all: "what a great week!" or "UGGGGGH what a week" or somewhere in the middle. 

That's definitely where I'm coming from too! I'm working on approaching it a lot more intuitively rather than just muscling through and getting super discouraged. So far I've noticed a big change both in mood and physically from the change. When I eat too many carbs or sugar, I definitely feel it. On Saturday, after eating really well the whole week we went out to eat to celebrate paying off loans (woo!), and I had more carbs than usual and felt exhausted and groggy and grumpy the rest of the day. I zonked out for a couple hours. Then when I had a good breakfast the next morning I was A-okay. Crazy!

• Like 1

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

9 hours ago, GardenGeek said:

Oh my god, we need to be friends! I'm just basing this on the fact that I too am trying to get pregnant and adore Leslie Knope.

TWINNERS! Yeah! 

10 hours ago, Countess D'If said:

This is literally going to be the best challenge. Ever.

Ha! I sure hope so! Thank you! 

I think for sanity's sake, I'm going to give my battle log a rest and just give updates here. I'll keep it short...maybe. Ha!

Monday (my 01 day)

YAY! I ate well and felt good about things. Very positive, worked out. Felt like a rockstar. Pretty typical first day stuff.

Tuesday (02)

NAY. booo. Felt really groggy and tired and blehhh. It sort of came out of nowhere, and I'm thinking maybe I just did not get enough sleep, even though it was 8 hours. WHAT AM I A BABY!? How many hours do you need!? Also, had a therapy sesh which could have contributed to the drain.

Wednesday (03)

YAY! I ate well for mooooost of the day. Had ice cream after dinner but didn't feel rotten about it. I'm learning how to slow down when I'm eating and enjoy it and stop eating when I stop enjoying it. It's a work in progress.Also, I had headaches all day. Possibly sugar withdrawal? Not sure. I didn't really notice when it went away.

I'm currently reading Variable Star by Spider Robinson. It was recommended by the amazing @Jane Eyre Is My Patronus, and I am adoring the humor, quick wit, and sci-fi world he develops. It's spot on. And one line I read from it today was this:

When you peel back enough layers of your own bullshit to finally get a good glimpse of yourself,

you are going to ind you respect yourself a good deal more than you expected to.

BOOM perfect for me right now. Cuz there's a whole lotta bull I've built up over time that I'm working to cut through. 

• Like 4

Current Challenge

Previous I

4 hours ago, durfette said:

When you peel back enough layers of your own bullshit to finally get a good glimpse of yourself,

you are going to ind you respect yourself a good deal more than you expected to.

I love this, thanks for sharing.

Looks like your challenge is going well. You might have a couple of NAY days more along the line, but it is good that you don't let it overshadow of your whole week. Good luck for the rest of the week! 

For what it’s worth: It’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start over. – F. Scott Fitzgerald

Tuesday

Nay. Jeepers, lots of flip-flopping this week. Today I definitely just went with the flow and fell back into my husband's and my bad habits of eating badly. Started out promising this morning, but slipped back. Oh well.

I think to add a teensy bit more structure to my challenge, I want to have more "yay" days than "nay" day. Meh days won't count. 

Does anyone have any experience with hyper- or hypoglycemia? I've spoken with a couple people recently who thought my behavior may have a lot to do with that, but I really don't know much about it. One person said how doctors test for it isn't always accurate also. If you have any personal experience I'd appreciate it! 

Current Challenge

Previous I

9 hours ago, durfette said:

Does anyone have any experience with hyper- or hypoglycemia? I've spoken with a couple people recently who thought my behavior may have a lot to do with that, but I really don't know much about it. One person said how doctors test for it isn't always accurate also. If you have any personal experience I'd appreciate it! 

I've never been formally diagnosed, but I have hypoglycemia leanings. Is there anything in particular that made people comment on that? Or that you want to know? I don't actually know how they test for it. Most of the doctors around here just roll their eyes when you mention it, to be honest.

I do know that insulin resistance is difficult to test for, and that it's often closely linked with fertility issues and PCOS. There's a whole set of annoying symptoms that go along with it too, like weight gain and/or inability to lose weight, low energy, etc. Have you been tested for that? I think the test I read about that was supposed to be best for that one was a fasted one where you go in and drink this super sugary stuff, and they do some bloodwork. I also read that not a lot of doctors do it unless they think you might be diabetic, so you might have to ask them about it.

PS--Glad I found you! Following along and cheering for you, as usual! :)

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller

Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

Durfette your doing great! Your only going to grow stronger with your wants the more you focus on your goals.  Finding a balance is hard. 

I agree with @Severine your Nay and Yay goal keeping is great! its simple and sticks to the point! 

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

On 8/26/2016 at 6:02 AM, durfette said:

fell back into my husband's and my bad habits of eating badly. Started out promising this morning, but slipped back.

It happens sooo easily, but don't beat yourself up about it. There still plenty time on the challenge to adjust and just try again on the next day. We are here for support when you need it!

I just have suuuuch a hard time logging onto the forums regularly! If I could do it from my phone easily, maybe I'd do it more often? I just don't spend a whole lot of time on the computer except at work where, you know, I'm supposed to be working) so I have not only fallen off the bandwagon, I've also been incommunicado. 

okay so, WOW so when it rains, it pours, amiright?

In short:

PCOS = probably

ear infection

flu

another broken bone in foot

husband gets flu

tummy troubles

more family drama

HOLY MOLY busy, busy schedule. 

In long:

PCOS=probably. I'm being treated as if I have PCOS, but I don't have an official diagnosis because that requires a scope being shoved in my hoo-ha. They don't like doing it, I wouldn't like it, so they're gonna reserve that until they deem it necessary. It could also be a different hormonal issue, which they would still treat the same.

Ear infection. My ear was hurting and I was feeling like i was getting a cold. I went to work on Tuesday and immediately regretted it. Went home and crashed for the day. Got some meds for it. Feel better now.

Flu. Or food poisoning. Or something. I don't know, but I had a pretty upset stomach for a day or so. Ate a piece of toast a day, and that was about all that kept my tummy happy.

Foot. Finally got in with my podiatrist who x-rayed and said "yup, you broke the other sesamoid." Cue ugly cry. I broke a sesamoid my senior year of college in 3 years ago, and it didn't hurt at all until I started training for a half marathon. Eventually it started hurting too badly to even run on it about a year and a half ago. I got surgery on it in January of this year, and without the bone there, it put stress on the other sesamoid and so it decided to break too. I knew this could happen, because obviously the bone is there for a reason. I just didn't think it would cuz I'm supposed to be young and full of vigor or whatever. As far as treatment, I guess there's this thing called a bone stimulator that my doctor thinks I can try that'll help the bone heal. It sounds like witchcraft voodoo hippie stuff, but he said he's seen it work. So I'll give it a go. Has anyone else heard of this? It's approved by the FDA and insurance will probably cover it. It's just been so long since I've been able to run and do yoga and hike and do the things I abso-frickin-lutely love. It was really discouraging to feel like I'm back to where I started 3 years ago with a broken foot. 

Husband got flu. This was the worst, because he was achey, and sore, and couldn't sleep because he was so tense, and dry heaving and just plain miserable for him.

Tummy troubles. I'm Not sure if it's a sickness or if it's going to be a big deal. It's been a few days where I feel like I'm going to die when I eat. I'm trying to eat easy foods currently to figure things out. I'm hoping it's temporary but... who knows?

More family drama. Grandma settled whatever crazy dementia dispute because her lawyers had enough of her bull and called her out on it. She signed a contract saying she wouldn't do things, continues to do things. Rest of family furious. Cue ugly cry again. 

Busy schedule: early mornings, skipped lunches, doctors appointments, therapy appointments, things after work almost every night. It's been really busy and I've been getting my meal prep done which has helped a lot. I haven't been 100% 21DF, but definetly improved. With all the stress and frustrations of the past couple weeks though, I haven't been able to kick the sugar issue as well as I'd hoped. But inching along is still better than not. I've also been sleeping a lot because I'm a hyper-emotional person and all this junk leaves me exhausted. Still working on ways to cope.

Anyway, all this has left me rulll tired, and real anti-social. So... not sure where that leaves me with this challenge yet. TBD, I guess since I don't know wth my tummy's doing. I'm pretty discouraged about it all. I feel like this keeps happening. I keep trying to go all in with my health and I trip up and get all stupid and depressed. I don't feel empowered at all. I guess I am making progress since I'm meal planning more and saving money and eating healthier breakfasts, lunches, and many dinners are improving.  I'm just losing patience with myself and my situations. It doesn't seem like it's getting better. And I feel like I'm just a drag on the boards. I start all strong and excited and by the end (or not even the end) I'm Debbie Downer. Bluh.

So until further notice...

Burrito-cartoon-meme-UB.png

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Previous I

On 8/26/2016 at 7:58 AM, PollyannaAgain said:

I've never been formally diagnosed, but I have hypoglycemia leanings. Is there anything in particular that made people comment on that? Or that you want to know? I don't actually know how they test for it. Most of the doctors around here just roll their eyes when you mention it, to be honest.

I do know that insulin resistance is difficult to test for, and that it's often closely linked with fertility issues and PCOS. There's a whole set of annoying symptoms that go along with it too, like weight gain and/or inability to lose weight, low energy, etc. Have you been tested for that? I think the test I read about that was supposed to be best for that one was a fasted one where you go in and drink this super sugary stuff, and they do some bloodwork. I also read that not a lot of doctors do it unless they think you might be diabetic, so you might have to ask them about it.

Yeah! I was told doctors don't always take it seriously too. I was talking to my therapist about my response to being hungry and how I'm afraid of being hungry. And she asked what's the worst thing about being hungry and I described how I feel really tired and sluggish and foggy and unfocused when I don't eat so sometimes I eat when I'm not hungry when I don't think I'll get food later because I'm worried of being in a fog and she said "that sounds like you might be hypoglycemic." She's obviously not a medical doctor, since she's a therapist, so I thought I'd ask about it. 

I haven't been tested for the insulin resistance, maybe I'll ask about that at my next doctor's appt. 

On 8/26/2016 at 9:07 AM, Butternut said:

Hey I've just read This article and I thought that you may dig it as much as I did! 

Ahhh Butternut! Here to save the day yet again. :) Thank you so much for the article! I kept reading it and almost fistpumping at every sentence and nodding my head like a guy listening to EDM. This helped me so much today. I also winced as I read it because it was so applicable to what I've been doing! Haha! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Previous I

Given everything else that's going on, I'm not surprised that your stomach is giving you troubles! The stress from the family issues alone would have me off my feed (until the pendulum swung the other way and I emotionally ate All the Things).

You just take care of yourself, my little burrito, and we'll all still be here when you're ready. 

download-9.jpeg

• Like 5

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin