Shotokan needs to kick it up a notch.

Shotokan

The last two challenges have been a great learning experience for me. Finishing challenges with success sure beats failing. Even though my goals aren't what many would consider world class, being able to complete the goals I set out to do has given me the drive to continue improving. It also proves that my body and mind isn't cut out to train balls to the wall each and every day. I am not looking for maximum results with minimal effort. Instead of training harder and harder, I am learning to train smarter and focus on the movement that give me the most bang for buck.

50 katas a week

This has worked well for me in the past and I am seeing more improvement over the last two challenges than I have in years of training. Focusing on what everyone else is doing hasn't given me the greatest results over the years but the 50 katas had and I will continue to shoot for the magic 50 each week. I do want to focus a but more on my Shotokan katas overall but I am still going to include my Iaido katas too.

50 side kicks a week with each leg

Now that I have more movement in my hips and better pelvic alignment, it's time to put rubber to road and kick it up a notch. This will consist of side thrust kicks and roundhouse kicks. I am training more technique and proper body alignment and will work on power and speed when the time is right. 

Tai Cheng three times a week / Body weight workout two time a week.

I would have never thought that this would have some much impact, not only on my Karate and Iaido training, but also on my posture and my ability to work my muscles correctly. My Sensei always told me that if you improve your posture, your Karate and Iaido will improve.  Needless to say, he was right and I should have listened to him years ago but better late then never, right. All of the other things that I tried in the past did help me improve but they only focused on the hips and all time, I should have been focusing on the the body moving as a unit instead of just the hips. Another thing that I should have listened better from my Sensei were some simple words he would tell me all the time in class. He would say "with the body" meaning and strike or technique needs to be done with the entire body not just a couple parts. I have taught this to other over the years but, until now, I didn't apply my own advice to myself.  The body weight workout is focused on the hips and lower body along with upper body movements to tie it all together. 

Life goal - Spend an hour each week working on my first product offering for my business

I have a job that I like and a good boss but I cannot see myself working for someone else for the rest of my life. The sum of this goal is a five year plan but I need to start now so that when five years is up, I am working for myself as a consultant. I have done this very thing, for one my consulting clients, for many years now and it's time to expand and start helping others with a service that they need at an affordable and easy to execute process. 

Extra credit - Meditate for five minutes a week

This is one area that has been toughest for me. Even two minutes a week has been a challenge in itself but if I can get in five minutes of simple meditation each week, I will be happy. My mind is always racing and I know that I need to settle it down or it's going to come oozing out my ears. I know five minutes is week is a little weak but it's a goal none the less.

• Like 1

Doug

In search of the ever elusive side thrust kick....

Student of Karate and Iaido

Day one went well, even though I wasn't sure when this challenge started.  I started with the bodyweight workout. This consists of:

25 each - push ups, squats, band batwings, clam shells, glute bridges, lying side leg raises, swiss ball squeezes and donkey kciks. I am still searching for a good ab movement but I ended up doing crunches. The 25 reps can be 5x5, 4x6 +1, 3x8+1, 2x12+1 or whatever combination I feel but the number has to hit 25.

I also got in seven Shotokan katas and five Iaido katas.

Day two was Tai Cheng, side thrust kick and roundhouse kick for five on each side and two Shotokan and Iaido katas since the kicks really roasted my hips. 

Doug

Day three was Karate class. Good workout overall with a good amount of kicks and at least five each of side thrust and roundhouse kicks. Only two katas and two Iaido katas at home.

Day four went really well.  I'm still sweating an hour after my workout. I did the 25 total each of band batwings, push ups and squats in a big superset. Them came the 24 reps of my hip, but and core workout. Eight Shotokan and five Iaido katas along with 10 roundhouse kicks and five side thrust kicks on each leg.

Doug

On 8/25/2016 at 6:51 AM, DanTien said:

Nice one! I'm impressed with your weekly goals. Personally I can never manage it if I try that, have to plan daily.

The weekly goals work fairly well for me but there are times when I cram a lot into the last day of the week to catch up with them. Like today. :)

Doug

Today's workout went well but I crammed a lot into it. 

It consisted of the band batwings, push ups and squats along with my hip workout. After that came Tai Cheng and 10 Shotokan along with five Iaido katas. 

The week ended with a few more katas on Thursday and Friday too to reach my goal. i got in an extra workout along with the Tai Cheng, I hit the number for side thrust kicks and was able to get in some meditation but I didn't get much done on my business because my full time job took more time than I thought it would. 

Doug

Hey! I'm sorry I haven't been around. This whole having-a-grown-up-job-with-a-grown-up-social-life thing is really time intensive. But I read over your goals and I really like what I see in terms of the evolution of your mindset - where you've come from and where you're going. I'd like to think I've found myself in somewhat the same place. :)

Also, even though I haven't been posting videos, I have been hitting the 22's. I'm hoping to do a massive upload sometime today, probably when I get back from the gym. Just so you know that I didn't stop and that I didn't let this slide.

So, yeah.

With the ab work, have you considered doing something like Janda or Hardstyle Sit Ups? Those have a remarkable ability to isolate the rectus abdominis, and you can get a hell of a workout on low reps. Alternately, TGUs are a good thing for that too.

• Like 1
On 8/28/2016 at 9:26 AM, Kishi said:

Hey! I'm sorry I haven't been around. This whole having-a-grown-up-job-with-a-grown-up-social-life thing is really time intensive. But I read over your goals and I really like what I see in terms of the evolution of your mindset - where you've come from and where you're going. I'd like to think I've found myself in somewhat the same place. :)

Also, even though I haven't been posting videos, I have been hitting the 22's. I'm hoping to do a massive upload sometime today, probably when I get back from the gym. Just so you know that I didn't stop and that I didn't let this slide.

So, yeah.

With the ab work, have you considered doing something like Janda or Hardstyle Sit Ups? Those have a remarkable ability to isolate the rectus abdominis, and you can get a hell of a workout on low reps. Alternately, TGUs are a good thing for that too.

No Worries.  I haven't been around as much as I want to be either. Grown up life sucks and I refuse to grow up any more than I have already. 

The best part about evolving from where I came from and to where I'm going is awesome because once I get to where I want to be, I know that there will be somewhere else to go. 

I knew you would be push ups like a machine. The video was the hardest part for me even though my wife was the one doing the videos because there were times when I would come home at 10 pm and still have to do push ups just to get her to video me. 

I have looked into the Janda and Hardstyle sit ups and was even thinking about getting a Pavelizer but my one issue is my tailbone gets really sore whenever I do sit ups. I am going to try the Hardstyle first to see if the low number of reps keeps my tailbone happy. Thanks for suggesting them!  The TGU is great but I haven't done them for while since I was not flexible enough but maybe now, it's time to revisit them. Thanks again!

Doug

Yesterday was some stretching along with five each of Shotokan and Iaido katas and five each side thrust kicks and roundhouse kicks. My hips were still sore from the workout on Saturday but the katas turned out to be a good workout. 

Today was Tai Cheng, five each of Shotokan and Iaido katas.  The Shotokan katas has me sweating like crazy.  I am really getting my entire body into the them and am very mindful of my posture which has really come a long way. After that came five each of side thrust kick and roundhouse kicks. The side thrust kicks are getting better each day as long as I do the Tai Cheng first. The pelvic alignment is really changing my movements and I am starting to get arches back in my feet that I lost many years ago. I still have a long way to go but each thing I do gets me closer to the top of the mountain that I am climbing.

Doug

Tuesday was Karate class with not kata and some side kicks but a lot of really good other stuff. I guess the 50 push ups and squats we counted too. :)  Two Shotokan and two Iaido katas at home afterward.

Wednesday was kata day. 10 Shotokan katas, that were really a good workout and five Iaido katas.

Today was the full workout with band batwings, push ups and squats along with the lower body workout, Tai Cheng and five each Shotokan and Iaido katas.  i almost forget, five side thrust kicks and five roundhouse kicks with each leg.

• Like 2

Doug

On 9/3/2016 at 6:32 PM, Kishi said:

It's funny how all that just adds up into a workout, isn't it? I wonder if that's what it's like in the old martial monasteries.

I would think that they trained a lot more than me in the old monasteries. I would also guess that they ate better and slept better too with not being chained to an office for all those hours each week. :)

• Like 1

Doug

Friday was not much except for a couple of katas because I had a late day at work and had to also go to a wake.

Saturday went much better. 10 Shotokan katas, 10 iaido katas and Tai Cheng along with 10 kicks each of side thrust and roundhouse kicks.  This was certainly in the green as far as training and mediation goes. I am still behind on my business project because my full time job is sucking all my other time away from me.

Sunday was another good workout day. Tai Cheng again, 20 kicks each of side thrust and roundhouse kicks along with six Shotokan and at least 10 Iaido katas.

Today was another good day. 25 each of the push ups, squats and band batwings, some kettlebell swings, swissball squeezes, some ab work along with four Shotokan and five Iaido katas. Some breathing mediation before and that will be all.

Doug

Tuesday was a rough day. After a full day at work, 10 hours, I had to be at the dojo to help my Sensei with first day classes for this session. Since the other two people helping, my wife and son, didn't want to teach the beginners, I said I would. Needless to say, when I teach, I really get into it. I demonstrate all the movement myself and often do them along with students so that the have someone to follow along with. After the first hour, I was soaked from the workout I had. Then came the second hour of teaching, which was  lot easier because it was only continuing students. The only problem with that is, about two thirds of the class are there to do through the motions and they really drain everyones else's energy. Then came my class. It was full of kicks, partner striking drills, and lots of kihon and kata. There were at least 20 side thrust kicks along with four katas for my goals along with about a hundred front kicks and many back kicks. It was a very hard class and I was walking funny and very sore after class.  I did manage to get in one Iaido kata before bed.

Luckily, today was the day to see my chiropractor and even though he fixed everything, I am still really sore. Needless to say, tonight is going to be limited to a couple katas along with some meditation. 

Doug

Last week didn't finish like I expected. I did get in enough kata but I think I was short on everything else, not by much but it was only a 75 or 80 percent week. 

This week started better. My kata is back from her journeys around the world and we got in some really good training on Sunday.  Only a couple of katas but there were many parts of the katas that I had to do over and over. 

Monday was Tai Cheng, a full workout with push ups, batwings, squats, the hip and glute workout along with some ab work. Then came six Shotokan katas along with five Iaido katas, five each of side thrust and roundhouse kicks and some meditation. 

Tuesday was a serious kicking day in Karate class. At least 25 side thrust kicks with each leg along with a boatload of other kicks and kihon. We finished up two katas and then five Iaido katas at home. 

Today is mostly recovery with two Shotokan and five Iaido katas along with some meditation. 

• Like 1

Doug

On 9/15/2016 at 3:21 PM, Kishi said:

I would almost think that you deserve more credit for doing reps on kata parts as opposed to getting lots of different kata, since repetition is the whole point anyway. Still, it's your challenge, so you do what you want.

I normally would give some more credit to the kata parts.  I do some sections of moves up to 10 times depending on what I need to fix but it's still good to get in to total full katas that I am trying to reach. 

Doug

This challenge ended okay. I would guess I was near 90% for what I was trying to do this time around.  I need a little less time at work and a little more time to train but I don't see that happening for a while. 

Katas are getting better as are the kicks and Tai Cheng and workouts are helping too.  Overall, I am better than I was when I started this challenge which I guess is good but I still have a long way to go.

• Like 1

Doug

It's all good, man. What the grading scale misses is that even if we don't make the goals, we still end up in a better position than we started from, having gone from not doing the things to the things being done. Those actions have impact. They matter.

So, you know. Good job! Better than you started with a long way to go is something of a running theme with us. :D

• Like 1