SaltyDragon

The real mystery this time is going to be dealing with uncertainties of life. I don't know what my means and opportunities will be for most of the coming weeks, so I am going to plan my goals carefully and conservatively.

sea-serpent-attacks-ship.jpg

Run
60 miles. Here's why this one is tricky – I'd like to start planning some races for the fall, because I should have time this year. As those plans come together, I'll be evaluating my fitness and my training needs so I can craft a training plan. I'm sure whatever I settle on will include at least 60 miles, so I'm setting the goal conservatively there, understanding that the final plan may be quite different. Bonus points all around once I actually make that plan.

Push-ups
400 total. I really want to keep doing these, but I haven't been doing so well the last few challenges so I'm reducing the goal. I can always hope for more. Feel free to hurl (good-natured) insults and degrading remarks my way if you see me slacking.

Stretch
18 points total, awarded 2 points each for a solid yoga, back or extra stretching routine. 1 point if it's half-ass. Bonus points all around if I can get back into my former post-run stretching – I've really got out of this habit. Oh, the shame!

Strength
16 points total, 2 points each for a solid workout. I won't have my favorite adjustable dumbbells around this time (aack!), so bodyweight or whatever I can come up with counts.

Apologies for the late start. There's a good excuse, I'm sure. See you out there!!

• Like 2

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Better late than never. Glad to see you sticking with your goals and evaluating when necessary. From what it sounds like, keeping track of where you're at throughout the challenge will be a goal in and of itself.

Also, I absolutely love that image you included. I don't know if you're on Twitter or Instagram any, but there is something that the Norman B. Leventhal Map Center at the Boston Public Library started last spring that is one of my favorite things out there. It's #MapMonsterMonday, and it is the absolute best way to start your week. There is a really great article on it here. I'm a sucker for anything to do with monsters, and this is just another way for me to work them in to my daily life. Definitely worth checking out. I'm looking forward to seeing how things work out for you this challenge.

• Like 3

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

Thanks for the map monster info – I'm a map nerd for sure!

-----

Not much challenge-wise yet. Yesterday and today were travel days. Sunday though, was my last day in Dutch Harbor, so some shipmates and I spent the entire day roaming the island and generally being pretty active.

N2_SoBTrzdFQ74q-HBVgoZeBwPnRYghcGUczWq_W

T1uWyTtJZCn2iSnxDFT4huc_gLe2d70QEVWra-w5

9Oy9AU1H0IefzEdZYf67oFPBXaPJiDPDyB9Hs1iu

wVsUhQFylqJ1V5sozLc1-CgxHzQYEoeQSXAryU95

A most excellent time was had by all, until minor tragedy struck while jumping into some waterfalls that evening, and I cut my foot on the rocks. It's not terrible, but it is still pretty painful. Let's hope it doesn't hinder my running for too long.

Whaaaaaa, back up!! Jumping in waterfalls in Alaska! That's a thing? People do that??

ScOmdHSglhwjv4B2JwyNG6v5XZrZdMvcWLk5gNDH

• Like 3

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

Sorry to hear about your injury! But I love how simple and straight to the point your goals are. You got this!

And I'm not a map nerd, but you guys might turn me into one.

• Like 2

Current Challenge  
Battle Log

Previous Challenges: 1 — 23456 — 78910111213 — 14 — 1516 — 17181920 — 2122 — 23 — 24 — 25 

Very cool pics. I really like that first picture. Forgive my ignorance, but is that a sign post?

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery. Those waterfalls are impressive to say the least, and it looks like a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

12 hours ago, Jormungand said:

I really like that first picture. Forgive my ignorance, but is that a sign post?

That be a Russian Orthodox cross. I don't know the history of that particular site, but those are presumably graves.

---

Been so busy with so many things so far, that I haven't done much besides a few push-ups. Tomorrow I'm off on another road trip, so here's hoping I can tick a couple more states off my list (and pass last year's total)!

• Like 3

Level 11 Sea Dragon

Following along. Your goals sound perfect for the uncertainties coming your way. So are you on land more than at sea this round? Or are the road trips bonuses as you hop waters?

Love the pictures. They make me want to travel. :) 

• Like 1

Druid - Assassin - Adventurer Level 18

Challenges: [Current
[18} [17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]

11 minutes ago, Jayniana Jones said:

Following along. Your goals sound perfect for the uncertainties coming your way. So are you on land more than at sea this round? Or are the road trips bonuses as you hop waters?

I'm no longer attached to a ship full-time. There is still sea-time in my future, but not nearly as much, and none for the rest of this challenge.

:) is right.

11 minutes ago, Jayniana Jones said:

Love the pictures. They make me want to travel.

Thanks! If you can make the time, I definitely think you should!!

• Like 4

Level 11 Sea Dragon

11 minutes ago, SaltyDragon said:

I'm no longer attached to a ship full-time. There is still sea-time in my future, but not nearly as much, and none for the rest of this challenge.

Thanks! If you can make the time, I definitely think you should!!

Welcome to Normal? Around here the ground stays still and the pull-up bar doesn't make you swing. ;)

We had a trip planned to Utah in three weeks but had to delay it until spring. However, we're still taking a smaller trip. We just haven't decided which direction to head.

• Like 2

Druid - Assassin - Adventurer Level 18

Challenges: [Current
[18} [17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]

22 hours ago, Jayniana Jones said:

Welcome to Normal? Around here the ground stays still and the pull-up bar doesn't make you swing. ;)

Thank you! :D

------

Week 1 Wrap-up

Run

6.2 miles, goal of 60. Off to a slow start because of travel, adventure and injury. The good news is that running no longer bothers the foot (cut is on the heel), so I can start ramping back up. Also, TN and PA makes 12!

Push-ups

60 total, goal of 400. Slow start, so it's time to start rebuilding the habit.

Stretch

0 points total, goal of 18. Does zero also count as a slow start? Where is the [facepalm] emoji??

Strength

2 points total, goal of 16.

Looks pretty bad right now, but there's still plenty of time to pull this one out. Right? OK, I'm working on it!

• Like 3

Level 11 Sea Dragon

What a wonderful feeling to be able to run every day again! Monday and Tuesday, I did about three miles and 20 push-ups each day before work. Today, I did a little morning yoga, followed up by 40 push-ups and 4 miles on trails in the evening just after sunset. I'm definitely not where I was a couple months ago, but little by little I'm feeling stronger. Hopefully by next week, I can start building the mileage up again.

WvW8r1_HYZuqSFQqsA7xELMi5_TPbAzBB0T7RsHj

• Like 3

Level 11 Sea Dragon

It's a very welcoming feeling when we can feel our stamina and endurance start to come back. I know here recently the thought has crossed my mind "I can't believe I used to do this every day and for longer distances!" but it seems that our bodies can bounce back to where we were without too many adverse consequences. At least that's how it's been for me since I've been trying to run more. Is that headlamp needed for an early morning run or an evening run? After some recent runs in the afternoon that have come close to putting me under, I am trying to get out and run earlier and earlier and I'm really enjoying it.

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I like getting out early and/or late, too. On wooded trails, light levels get pretty low even before sunset, making the headlamp a real necessity. On roads, it helps you stay visible to passing cars – sometimes I'll even wear it backwards in its flashing red mode.

• Like 3

Level 11 Sea Dragon

I do the same with the bike. We've got lamps mounted on them, and I try to keep the flashing red lights going as much as is reasonable. I have little faith in passing cars paying much attention.

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Week 2 Summary

Run

23.5 miles, goal of 60. As long as I keep running 5-6 days a week, I'll make the goal. Easy. And, tomorrow I want to come up with a training plan.

Push-ups

140 total, goal of 400. I keep forgetting about these. I should go do some now...

Stretch

4 points total, goal of 18. This one will take some catching up, but I think I can save it.

Strength

2 points total, goal of 16. Struggling here. I'm lost without my dumbbells, and I just haven't sat down and thought up something else. Ideas? I should just go buy some dumbbells...

Doesn't look as good as it should, honestly. But in a lot of ways, this week was better than the first. Don't count me out yet!

• Like 3

Level 11 Sea Dragon

Today I was going to do a longish run, but for some reason, I decided I wasn't up to it. Instead, I went for a 26 mile bike ride to enjoy the warm sunshine, then after a quick 15 min recharge, I went for a short run. Only 2 miles, but I was getting some cramping, so I cut it short. I probably could have done more – I wasn't too tired. Anyway, here's the obligatory selfie. Sorry for the helmet head and the squinting...

WnfCbdE-jwilDI9RG3E-thFe8a86JlT-ZKcXj33A

And the action montage, just to prove it happened. B)

Uyy88gVKdbrGgCabwdIT831iUQ-mUNIgTL5IUKRT

• Like 5

Level 11 Sea Dragon

Awesome to see you're finally back on the bike. I know you've been missing it, and I can see why. It's a beauty. And I completely understand the feeling. It's rewarding to go out for a decent run, but it is flat out enjoyable to go for a long bike ride. 

Have you ever considered doing any bodyweight strength training? I know you're already doing push-ups and stretching, but there's a whole heap of stuff to do without any free weights available. I get it, though. I'd be lost without access to kettlebells and dumbbells. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

The ride was actually part recon – I wanted to find out how long it will take to ride to work (11 mi) – but I kept as hard an effort as the crowds would allow. Yes, it was enjoyable.

1 hour ago, Jormungand said:

Have you ever considered doing any bodyweight strength training?

I have, certainly, I just tend not to enjoy it so much, and I just keep putting it off. But, there's good news...I was doing some unpacking today and I found my resistance bands. I was totally excited – I'd forgotten I had them even! It's on, now! (And they're much less risky on dry land!) :eagerness:

Also today, bonus points achieved – I've drawn up a training plan for the next two months, to include 2 or three races. It's about time!

• Like 5

Level 11 Sea Dragon

I've never used resistance bands, but I was eyeing a set at a sporting goods store the other day. I seem to be traveling more for work these days (not a whole lot, just one trip every month or so), and I'd like to be able to use something like that when I am stuck in a hotel room without access to any equipment. I like that they can be stored literally almost anywhere. I hope your races go well. There are a few 5Ks that I am looking at before the year is out. 

• Like 2

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

13 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

The ride was actually part recon – I wanted to find out how long it will take to ride to work (11 mi) – but I kept as hard an effort as the crowds would allow. Yes, it was enjoyable.

I have, certainly, I just tend not to enjoy it so much, and I just keep putting it off. But, there's good news...I was doing some unpacking today and I found my resistance bands. I was totally excited – I'd forgotten I had them even! It's on, now! (And they're much less risky on dry land!) :eagerness:

Also today, bonus points achieved – I've drawn up a training plan for the next two months, to include 2 or three races. It's about time!

Sweet what kind of training do you have planned? Also what races? 

11 hours ago, Jormungand said:

I've never used resistance bands, but I was eyeing a set at a sporting goods store the other day. I seem to be traveling more for work these days (not a whole lot, just one trip every month or so), and I'd like to be able to use something like that when I am stuck in a hotel room without access to any equipment. I like that they can be stored literally almost anywhere. I hope your races go well. There are a few 5Ks that I am looking at before the year is out. 

They are pretty good for travel, just pretty limited unless you have anchor points aplenty. I pretty much just do what I can do by stepping on them.

8 hours ago, Volki said:

Sweet what kind of training do you have planned? Also what races? 

My training "plan" is really just a schedule of longer runs designed to build endurance and a little speed. I haven't picked all the races out just yet – I'll see what I can find that's local-ish and convenient. I'll be building to a half marathon at the end of October, and I'd like to work in a 5k and maybe a 10k as part of the training. And, lest I forget, I've also agreed to complete the 5k NF Rebel Run, so I'm planning on doing that (at a fun pace) on Friday.

----

Good day today – I did all the things. 20 push-ups and 3.5 miles easy this morning, followed by post-run stretching. I used to not count this toward stretching goals, but I'm out of the habit (probably because it's so unappealing all sweaty from summer running), so for now, it counts. Tonight, I did an adapted strength workout incorporating the resistance bands.

Feelin' good. Am I back?? :D

• Like 5

Level 11 Sea Dragon