Jump to content

SaltyDragon

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

 

They are pretty good for travel, just pretty limited unless you have anchor points aplenty. I pretty much just do what I can do by stepping on them.

 

 

My training "plan" is really just a schedule of longer runs designed to build endurance and a little speed. I haven't picked all the races out just yet – I'll see what I can find that's local-ish and convenient. I'll be building to a half marathon at the end of October, and I'd like to work in a 5k and maybe a 10k as part of the training. And, lest I forget, I've also agreed to complete the 5k NF Rebel Run, so I'm planning on doing that (at a fun pace) on Friday.

 

----

 

Good day today – I did all the things. 20 push-ups and 3.5 miles easy this morning, followed by post-run stretching. I used to not count this toward stretching goals, but I'm out of the habit (probably because it's so unappealing all sweaty from summer running), so for now, it counts. Tonight, I did an adapted strength workout incorporating the resistance bands.

 

Feelin' good. Am I back?? :D

Good job doing all the things :)

 

That sounds good working up to the half marathon. I am eyeballing some local 5Ks too but I need to work up some endurance. Also keep up the BW workouts!

  • Like 2
Link to post

That is awesome to hear about the half marathon. They can be intimidating, but, as much as you've been building up lately, I expect you will do well. Of course, let us know how it goes. I remember my post-race meal being pretty epic. In fact, I think it lasted for a couple meals. 

  • Like 4

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

 

Link to post

Rebel Run?? Rebel Done!

 

haxCiwfShoSf9oEczZNF3-2qMR_3Zwd2AcSf2CzP

 

Even with the heat, I feel pretty encouraged by this. I've still got a lot of training ahead of me, so hopefully, I keep improving. Inspired, I also signed up for an irl 5k in the big city next weekend. Sub 24? Maybe...??

 

In other endeavors this week, I've run Tues, Wed, Thur and now Fri for 3.5, 5.3, 3.74 and 3.1 miles respectively. Starting to see and feel better about my progress. Also done 20 or 40 push-ups every day, so I'm keeping up there, too. Tomorrow, I plan to do some morning yoga and some strength work sometime later. Sunday, a longer run.

 

L-JMy0PT7j7Ff6YGFoWurZtqmOZw20nhvLwfJA4q

My post-run serious face.

 

y-ptbx5tThZ_4G4Tour0GRwblDzambnIy60LksMZ

Twilight at the Swan Pond.

 

QBTBciY32XTE579vOIg0zeqNxWzOZuxotosAes0b

A really nerdy bridge along the 5k route.

 

eZ533Fz9YYXWSKzdPGQxbqvtrou08A0yZH2Rdzfv

Good night!!

  • Like 5

Level 11 Sea Dragon

 

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Link to post
1 hour ago, SaltyDragon said:

Rebel Run?? Rebel Done!

 

haxCiwfShoSf9oEczZNF3-2qMR_3Zwd2AcSf2CzP

 

Even with the heat, I feel pretty encouraged by this. I've still got a lot of training ahead of me, so hopefully, I keep improving. Inspired, I also signed up for an irl 5k in the big city next weekend. Sub 24? Maybe...??

 

In other endeavors this week, I've run Tues, Wed, Thur and now Fri for 3.5, 5.3, 3.74 and 3.1 miles respectively. Starting to see and feel better about my progress. Also done 20 or 40 push-ups every day, so I'm keeping up there, too. Tomorrow, I plan to do some morning yoga and some strength work sometime later. Sunday, a longer run.

 

L-JMy0PT7j7Ff6YGFoWurZtqmOZw20nhvLwfJA4q

My post-run serious face.

 

y-ptbx5tThZ_4G4Tour0GRwblDzambnIy60LksMZ

Twilight at the Swan Pond.

 

QBTBciY32XTE579vOIg0zeqNxWzOZuxotosAes0b

A really nerdy bridge along the 5k route.

 

eZ533Fz9YYXWSKzdPGQxbqvtrou08A0yZH2Rdzfv

Good night!!

Damn!! Badass time and pace man :)

 Also those pictures are so cool!

I especially like the pacman bridge :ghost:

  • Like 1
Link to post

Congrats on the time, man. That is awesome. The pics are pretty cool, as well. You're logging some solid mileage and definitely seem to be making up for all of the time you've been away at sea. Hope your longer run goes well today. I am planning one for myself tomorrow evening. 

  • Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

 

Link to post

Hey, cool! The cats have shown up. Now this is a proper internet forum thread.

 

Week 3 Summary

 

Run

41.1 miles, goal of 60. With exactly 20 miles on the program between now and Saturday, I should be set for this one.

 

Push-ups

220 total, goal of 400. Still behind here, but then again, if I can stay consistent I could actually pull this one out.

 

Stretch

10 points total, goal of 18. What I said about push-ups applies here also.

 

Strength

4 points total, goal of 16. I know I'm not gonna strength train six days, so obviously I won't make this one. This saddens me, because I was really enjoying the old workouts I had devised and refined. I enjoyed them and the routine. I need to do some serious thinking about how to proceed with the strength goal next time.

  • Like 3

Level 11 Sea Dragon

 

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Link to post

Catching up on my reading... Awesome time for the Rebel Run considering you've only been on land for a few weeks. ;) 

 

I love seeing the pictures of where you've been running. Around here if I ran early in the morning or late in the evening, I'd have to run faster than the mosquito swarms because that is the time of day when they are the most hungry (we live in very close proximity to swamp/creek bottoms). 

 

22 minutes ago, SaltyDragon said:

4 points total, goal of 16. I know I'm not gonna strength train six days, so obviously I won't make this one. This saddens me, because I was really enjoying the old workouts I had devised and refined. I enjoyed them and the routine. I need to do some serious thinking about how to proceed with the strength goal next time.

 

What fun would perfection be? Sounds like you'll have a new challenge for the next round. The other items shaped up quite nicely. :) 

 

Resistance bands are a nice substitute when you're moving around a bunch. One of the things I've found handy with them is moving super slow with lots of tension mimics the weights. However, once you've found your landing spot for good, you may want to get dumbbells. We have a set that has a way to increase weight by adding individual plates as your lifting strength increases. It doesn't take up as much space which is nice. 

  • Like 2

Druid - Assassin - Adventurer Level 18

 

Challenges: [Current
[18} [17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]

Link to post

Today, 6.2 miles for a long run (not that I think of 6 miles as particularly long...) as per my plan. It went mostly good, but I did find myself thinking about walking for a bit around the 4mile mark, which I did. As soon as I did, though, I remembered a bit of wisdom I had learned before – running does not always feel good, but (hills and hard paces excepted) walking probably won't feel any better, so you might as well keep running. Totally true today. Also found it encouraging that even at an easy-for-me pace, I still technically finished a 10k in under an hour. That's pretty good, though I've still got a lot of work to do.

 

Also did yoga and post-run stretching, and 40 push-ups, so all-around good day.

 

I4LGZxIbYN3vt269cQGeQaj2n0o1HS-ESjnSrosw

I like this one...I'm all legs!

  • Like 4

Level 11 Sea Dragon

 

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Link to post
13 hours ago, Jormungand said:

I've said it before, but those dragon shoes are badass. 

 

B)

 

-------

 

Cross-training day today – 12 miles on the bike after work – mostly at a brisk pace (16-18mph), but with the obligatory stops to admire the sunset or harass the wildlife. Also, creaky morning yoga, and many push-ups. I think my push-up logging got off somewhere, so I'm doing 60 today just to be safe.

 

Right now, the plan is to get up and run 4 miles before work. Will it happen, though?

 

TsqS30v7Y-BRhxjFhnE-PDoFxNp0N866VRWzhUoi

 

nbYLf40FDZjCpK0v9RQAlU0i3BhNaUdB-t5KDmVA

  • Like 3

Level 11 Sea Dragon

 

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Link to post

I did drag myself out early on Tuesday – but it wasn't easy! 4.2 hard-fought miles, for sure.

 

Wednesday, creaky morning yoga, but no morning running. I had six miles on the schedule, which I saved for after work. Of course, I wound up working late, so I set out just at sunset – and it started pouring rain. "Bring it on," I said. "I remember Oregon!" Thoroughly drenched, I returned home after 6.56 miles, just because. I felt good enough to keep on going, too, but my visibility was pretty much nil, between the rain on my glasses and the glare from my headlamp.

 

Today, I also worked a little late, but the weather was absolutely perfect for running. 63°F, clear and calm, made for four enjoyable miles that just got easier as I went. The cooler temps are just a one-off – back in the seventies tomorrow – but a sign that fall is coming. I'm ready!

 

Also, 20 push-ups every day. With this, I'm on track to meet or surpass all of my goals except strength. More details on that in the challenge summary soon. Saturday, I'm running a 5k somewhere I've never been before, so that will be fun.

 

WVr6x_GC38TIC5L3vXYlK1b3Zhk53N_w-0_D1DzO

See what I mean?

  • Like 3

Level 11 Sea Dragon

 

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Link to post
On September 15, 2016 at 10:40 PM, SaltyDragon said:

 

Today, I also worked a little late, but the weather was absolutely perfect for running. 63°F, clear and calm, made for four enjoyable miles that just got easier as I went. The cooler temps are just a one-off – back in the seventies tomorrow – but a sign that fall is coming. I'm ready!

 

Agreed. I am going to do all I can to take full advantage of these days to try to rack up some road mileage. Hope your 5K went well. 

  • Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

 

Link to post

K8D7K7N5448ApyejA7f9UHmEhsvWhHBflAlocuBw

 

What impressed me the most about this race was not how fast I was, but how fast everyone was! It was a little humbling, but also incredibly motivating. I was not expecting to be this fast, and don't think I would have been if the rest of the field hadn't pushed me so hard. It's exciting to find out just how much you're capable of!

 

Challenge summary coming tomorrow, probably. I still feel a few more push-ups coming on.

  • Like 3

Level 11 Sea Dragon

 

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Link to post

Challenge Wrap-Up

 

Run

66.1 miles total, goal of 60. I did what I wanted to by putting together a training plan for a half marathon in October. I've stuck to the plan and feel like I'm getting back in shape. Also completed the NF Rebel Run virtual 5k, and a real-life 5k, both with respectable times reflecting my current ability.

 

Push-ups

400 total, goal of 400. Squeaked this one out at the end, kinda cheating a bit by doing the last 20 this morning. I'll allow it this time. :) I've got some thinking to do before the next challenge about how to re-visit this goal, and the strength goal.

 

Stretch

20 points total, goal of 18. Kinda feel like I cheated here, too, by counting post-run stretching. But then again, I have been better about doing it lately, so that's also kinda a win. I'm also really really happy to have more space finally to work on yoga!

 

Strength

4 points total, goal of 16. Lots of reasons for this fail, and really they're all just excuses. Long story short, I couldn't keep with the old routine, and I never tried hard enough to come up with a new one. Again, this will be a major focus one way or another in my next challenge.

 

Overall, things are going pretty well and I'm happy. I have some ideas working already for the next challenge, including a virtual change of scenery – perhaps to go with my own real life change of scenery.

  • Like 3

Level 11 Sea Dragon

 

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Link to post

That is an awesome 5K time. It's always motivating to see other people running alongside you who have been putting in the training themselves. It's important to find enjoyment from the training in and of itself, but I always love it when I can finally put it to the test with other people who have done the same. Nicely done.

 

It sounds like you have some things to evaluate, especially since your locale is different from this last go around. I understand, because I'm in a similar place. Most of what I'm doing seems to be working, there just needs to be some tweaks made here and there. Well done overall, and I'll see you on the next one. 

  • Like 2

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

 

Link to post
On 9/18/2016 at 6:29 PM, SaltyDragon said:

Kinda feel like I cheated here, too, by counting post-run stretching. But then again, I have been better about doing it lately, so that's also kinda a win.

 

Totally NOT cheating! I say count it. Great job on this challenge! Your running inspires me to keep pushing myself. 

  • Like 3

Current Challenge  
Battle Log

Previous Challenges: 1 — 23456 — 78910111213 — 14 — 1516 — 17181920 — 2122 — 23 — 24 — 25 

Link to post
On 9/20/2016 at 8:16 AM, Jormungand said:

That is an awesome 5K time. It's always motivating to see other people running alongside you who have been putting in the training themselves. It's important to find enjoyment from the training in and of itself, but I always love it when I can finally put it to the test with other people who have done the same. Nicely done.

 

It sounds like you have some things to evaluate, especially since your locale is different from this last go around. I understand, because I'm in a similar place. Most of what I'm doing seems to be working, there just needs to be some tweaks made here and there. Well done overall, and I'll see you on the next one. 

 

On 9/22/2016 at 5:14 PM, Jayniana Jones said:

Nice work on your goals. I'm impressed by the running one. Maybe for your strength section next round you need something like dragon weights? ;) 

 

On 9/22/2016 at 5:35 PM, EternalJourno said:

 

Totally NOT cheating! I say count it. Great job on this challenge! Your running inspires me to keep pushing myself. 

 

On 9/22/2016 at 9:43 PM, Koaladle said:

Salty Dragon, keep doing the thing! <3

 

Thanks, everyone! New thread is over here. Do drop in.

  • Like 2

Level 11 Sea Dragon

 

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines