980x.jpg

Run, run, run

Late again. But it's nothing new this time around, just trying to clean up my diet further and and in more positive habits. I have a 20-mile and a 23-mile training run during this challenge, so I'm trying to not hyperventilate at the thought. I call it 'running' even though I do run/walk intervals. I may be going to France for 2 weeks during this challenge, and would have to adjust the training plan accordingly. A major mini-goal is to avoid deviating from the plan as much as possible, because I tend to get distracted/seduced by other plans easily.

Overarching Goals:

• Body fat 25%. Making very slow progress.
  • Marathon 11/5. Just aiming to finish.
  • Be happier and more energetic

classic-onion-tech.gif?w=696

This is mesmerizing to me

Goal #1: THE FOOD

1a. Meal prep weekly - make breakfasts, and lunches including protein and veggies

1b. Limit alcohol - 3 days/wk max worked well for me last challenge

1c. Veggies at dinner - this is the area I want to clean up. I'm fine with some dairy/carbs, but want to at least get produce into every meal.

db193e731d98a4b0e572f58745ebf294.jpg

hahahhaha nope

Goal #2: THE WORKOUTS

2a. Run 3x/week per Jeff Galloway marathon training plan

2b. Lift or strength workout 2x/week

2c. Foam roll + stretch 3x/week

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRd2UYKzkK3mUkJesvJEHs

Looking at sleeping puppy pictures = guaranteed mood boost

Goal #3: THE BRAIN

3a. Sleep 8 hrs/night or as much as my body will allow me. I struggled with this last challenge

3b. Meditate. If I get through the free Headspace sessions I may subscribe, or just use calm.com

3c. No solo TV. I can watch with bf or other people (social-ish activity), but stick to music (for background) or reading on my own. If I succeed at this then I will upgrade my Spotify to the commercial-free version for a month.

• Like 3

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

b8b4dcd7870d66abf30f71d0410c9469.jpg

I don't know if sleeping puppies counts as a theme...but can't stop myself

Week 1 Day 1 & 2

1a. Meal prep - Done. Sausages, steak-rice-broccoli lunches, tomatoes/salads prepped

1b. No alcohol - 2/4 complete

1c. Veggies with dinner - 2/2 so far

2a. Runs - 1/3 complete

2b. Strength - 0/2 so far

2c. Mobility - 1/3 sessions complete

3a. Sleep - 0/2

3b. Mediation - 0/2

3c. No TV - 2/2

Need to come up with an infographic or something to make this more visual.

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

2 hours ago, WorldSparrow said:

Where all you going in France? Looks like a great challenge! Travel workouts are difficult.

I'm going to be southwest of Paris (maybe 1-1.5hrs outside of the city) for work. In high school I went to Paris as part of a student exchange and it was lovely, but now I'm much more focused on the food! Hopefully we'll have a free weekend to go into the city or towards the countryside. Looking forward to the wine and bread and cheese...but I'll definitely fit my workouts in to balance out the indulgences. It isn't often I get a business trip, let alone an overseas one, so I'm pretty psyched.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

cute puppy zen pup

Meditating...or falling asleep?

Week 1 Day 3

1a. Meal prep - Done

1b. No alcohol - 3/4 complete

1c. Veggies with dinner - 3/3 so far

2a. Runs - 1/3 complete

2b. Strength - 1/2 so far

3a. Sleep - 0/3

3b. Mediation - 0/3

3c. No TV - 3/3

Today's workout: Stronglifts with 200 lunges interspersed. 

Random note: I'm not doing the fall canoe tri that I had on my race schedule because I want to focus on the running. Trying to fit in bike training between the lifting and running is just asking for injury at this point. Not that I can't do it all...I would plan to while training for a tri, but I wouldn't be doing so much long-distance high-leg-stress running in that case...maybe someday when I'm in peak physical shape.

I just started reading An Everlasting Meal, and already it's increasing my excitement about cooking. As much I as I love to cook, sometimes the fatigue sets in and it feels like a chore...but then I read this:

"...we don't need to be professionals to cook well...we need to shop and cook like people learning to cook, like what we are -- people who are hungry. We're so often told cooking is an obstacle that we miss this. When we cook things, we transform them. And any small acts of transformation are among the most human things we do. Whether it's nudging dried leaves around a patch of cement, or salting a tomato, we feel, when we exert tiny bits of our human preference in the universe, more alive."

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

6 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Marathon running and @Xena hasn't arrived yet?

Hiroro and I are old NF buddies, I was just a little late this time :-)   (thanks for tagging me though!)

We are actually doing a marathon on the same day, and I'm kicking myself a little for not choosing to do the same one .

I really like your challenge this time. The idea of the spotify reward is perfect...or maybe I just think that because it's the kind of reward I would set up ;-)

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Image result for puppy meditating gif

Perhaps someday I can sleep this deeply

Week 1 Day 4 & 5

1a. Meal prep - Done

1c. Veggies with dinner - 3/4 so far

2a. Runs - 2/3 complete

3a. Sleep - 2/5

3b. Mediation - 1/5

3c. No TV - 5/5

I catch myself reaching for Netflix. So far music has been a good substitute I'm reading more, and perhaps talking to bf more (he may or may not think this is an improvement). Woke early Thursday to run, for the first time in a very very long time. Felt oddly upset/angry afterwards, but had more energy over the course of the morning at work. Slacking on the meditation front.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Image result for dance party gif minions

Week 1 Wrapup

1a. Meal prep - Done

1b. No alcohol - 4/4 complete

1c. Veggies with dinner - 5/7

2a. Runs - 3/3 complete

2c. Mobility - 2/3 sessions complete

3a. Sleep - 4/7

3b. Mediation - 2/6

3c. No TV - 6/6

Not a perfect week, but I'm happy with my progress. I completed the first 20 mile run of my training!!! The last 3 miles were unexpectedly painful -- my joints and muscles were trying to give up on me. I also finally knocked out a Headspace session (though punctuated with sneezing, coughing, and nose-blowing...darn allergies). 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

I'm sorry I'm to the party so late! I've been a terrible companion this challenge so far, but I'm going to get my act together!

Awesome job on the 20 miler! So impressive.

I like your no TV goal too. I had gotten to a point where I was barely watching any, and it was good! I was getting more done around the house, reading more etc, but I seem to have relapsed. Might borrow that one for next time...

What have you meal prepped so far?

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Image result for kitten walks wobbly gif

Me trying to walk with unhappy knees/feet

Week 2 Wrapup

1a. Meal prep - Done

1c. Veggies with dinner - 4/7?

2a. Runs - 2/3 complete

2b. Strength - 0/2

2c. Mobility - 3+/3 sessions complete

3a. Sleep - 4/7

3b. Mediation - 3/6

3c. No TV - 5/6

Goodness:

I got two runs in after recovering somewhat from the long run induced knee pain. I missed my less-alcohol goal after stress-rationalized-drinking midweek...BUT instead of giving up I doubled down and decided to see how long I can go without drinking at all -- made it through dinner yesterday's family dinner where the delicious wine flows freely without a drop (there was CHAMPAGNE, guys! but it wasn't a special occasion). Getting more serious about cutting back is tied to the resurgence of my angry stomach.

I'm not thrilled about the green/orange/red mix of my goals right now, but at least it means I'm challenging myself!

After my France trip being on and off and on and off, right now it is on again. Nothing's 100% until I get the go-ahead to book it, but looks like I'll be headed there late next week. So no excuses for not going strong Week 3 & 4.

Pretty ok:

So that 20 mile run/walk resulted in major knee twinges which are still plaguing me. Led to a skipped Tuesday run, and skipped Stronglifts -- I SHOULD have still done upper body work but just got lazy. On the upside, it's forced me to up my mobility game. Lots of foam rolling going on over here.

Spoiler

Image result for foam roller dog gif

I did watch a movie by myself once last week because I got a chick flick from the library and didn't want to force bf to watch with me...I'm really not concerned about it because after I watched the movie I felt a sense of completion, which online TV shows don't provide. Even watching movies on Netflix is somewhat 'dangerous' because that feeling of having unlimited content is nagging. I may make a no-solo-TV exception for movies since a new mind-expanding goal is to watch all of the Academy Award Best Picture winners, so if bf doesn't want to watch with me I'll do it on my own. I'm finding myself with these gaping afternoons of free time (especially with working out less, heh) so I'm reading like crazy and staying majorly on top of chores.

Not so great:

Totally forgot to track the veggies thing. Still struggling to get into meditation but I'm working on it.

Amusingly but unfortunately, watching less TV isn't helping me sleep earlier because I get so wrapped up reading I can't stop.

Bad bad bad

Had a fabulous 4-day weekend (took Friday off wheeee!), but my gut problems started to pop back up in a major way. Also, all the walking on Sunday (Labor day fireworks) has seriously aggravated my plantar fascitis to the point where it majorly aches nearly all the time. I'm limping at work today. Going to skip today's run...typically the pain/tightness bugs me for the first mile then eases as everything warms up, but the spot that hurts is the heel bone spur spot, so pounding on it is probably the worst possible idea. Going to peruse that NF foot health article tonight fo sho.

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

On 8/30/2016 at 9:42 AM, Fonzico said:

I'm sorry I'm to the party so late! I've been a terrible companion this challenge so far, but I'm going to get my act together!

Awesome job on the 20 miler! So impressive.

I like your no TV goal too. I had gotten to a point where I was barely watching any, and it was good! I was getting more done around the house, reading more etc, but I seem to have relapsed. Might borrow that one for next time...

What have you meal prepped so far?

Ha I feel like our goals are so close all the time and it's awesome!

Hmmmm in the last few weeks I've made hummus, boiled spinach, rice, kale salad (which did NOT turn out well), caprese salad, washed/bagged cherry tomatoes, boiled green beans, sauteed green beans, boiled broccoli and potatoes, turned leftover broccoli/potatoes/green beans into broccoli-cheddar soup, pan-fried sausage patties or links, frittata with potatoes/bacon/cheese, teriyaki chicken (I marinate very very teriyaki in a ziploc with boneless skinless thighs, bf grills and they're YUM). I find that if I have things to grab for breakfast and lunch, it's not so terrible to cook dinner fresh most nights. So my focus is on making sure I have a protein and veg (or fruit with breakfast sometimes) for breakfast for the week, and lunch for a few days -- later in the week, dinner leftovers become easy lunches.

On 9/4/2016 at 5:36 PM, Xena said:

Great job on the 20 miler!! Hope you have recovered well this week :-)

Thanks! I still kind of can't believe I ran that far O_O much much recovery has been required.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

An update on the bf-house sharing situation:

I'm feeling much better about our chore/labor split for various reasons.

1. He's been doing more work outside
  2. Our purchase of a lighter cordless vacuum seems to have greatly reduced his internal resistance to vacuuming more often.
  3. I talked to my mom about my frustration with trying to cook him healthy food to rave reviews, and her common sense reaction that expecting constant positive feedback is unreasonable made me do a self-check. I'm trying to approach cooking/dishwashing differently, telling myself "I'm doing this for me". I cook because I want to have healthy, delicious meals on hand. I clean because I want to live in an attractive space and not have to wash dishes to start cooking.
  4. I've also basically stopped cooking/prepping foods specifically for bf -- I will buy him anything he wants from the store, and he can handle his own breakfasts and lunches. Right now he is buying breakfast sandwiches at work (only $3 each, though that adds up to $60 a month on what I bet is low quality ingredients it isn't the worst tradeoff ever -- way better than me making him things and getting upset that he doesn't eat them)
  5. I'm still not thrilled with the amount of waste that happens, so I'll be cooking in smaller portions and not expecting him to eat any of the leftovers. We don't ever actually run out of food, so I don't know why I'm so afraid of scarcity.
  6. I'm reading the bad roommates section of Reddit, which puts my issues into perspective.
  7. We've discussed having a week every month when he cooks, and/or having a week when I make whatever I want and he can fend for himself -- this would allow me to cook the mushrooms, eggplant, chicken pate, pork belly, indian-spiced foods, etc which I love and he doesn't enjoy. His original point was that I can do that anytime, but I think he absorbed my point that it is additional work for me to cook a meal that he will eat AND cook what I want to eat.
  8. He mentioned that he's been thinking about why leftovers are so unappealing to him, and making more of an effort to eat leftovers. I think a major contributor is his several-year habit of eating out all the time and thus being able to eat whatever he wants whenever he wants. I mentioned that theory to him, and he responded "maybe...".
  9. I asked about how he ate/how his parents cooked growing up -- I wondered whether his dad's cooking shaped his eating preferences. This discussion revealed that even as a kid he wouldn't necessarily eat much of the family meal...he would wander into the kitchen and graze on crackers or cheese or cereal or whatnot (!!!). To me that seems crazy, because my family heavily emphasized the shared meal  -- we certainly weren't allowed to turn down my mother's lovingly (or grouchily, sometimes, ha) healthy cooked meal to grab whatever we wanted to eat. (Can you tell this is still boggling my mind?)

Image result for can and dog together gif

If cats and dogs can get along...surely we can too

A lot of this is about food, because most of my chore time is spent cooking/cleaning up after cooking. As I realize that a lot of my issues are about wanting to be praised for my labor rather than actually being upset about the labor split, it's helping me work through it. Since cooking is both a chore and a hobby, it isn't black and white.

Image result for can and dog share gif

How I feel -- limited by what bf will eat

A lot of my frustration is coming out of trying to feed someone raised on meat and potatoes, who was never forced or even really encouraged to diversify his palate -- since I grew up eating sashimi and seaweed and eel plus all kinds of meat and starch and vegetables, it's a big difference. My parents made allowances for our preferences...I vaguely remember phases of not eating certain vegetables (I'm only just now coming around to summer squashes), and I've always been sensitive to spicy heat...but exposing us to such culinary variety at an age where we didn't know it was unusual has clearly shaped the way I view food. To his credit, bf really will try new things -- but there are 5 vegetables he likes, all prepared specific ways (yes, we made a list). I'm not complaining about his closed-mindedness, just trying to show the vast chasm between his dietary preferences and mine -- which include myriad vegetables prepared any number of ways.

Apologies for the long post. I've stopped feeling miserable about the whole deal, which is a wonderful improvement. Unfortunately, I see the next conflict brewing already: bf says when he gets a dog, he will let it lick his mouth (ewwwwwwww!). I like dogs, but am not willing to let one lick my mouth, neither am I willing to kiss someone who does. I don't judge other people who do that with their dogs, but as a minor germophobe I just. can't. deal. Thankfully getting a dog is years in the future, so no point in borrowing trouble.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

2 hours ago, Hiroro said:

made it through dinner yesterday's family dinner where the delicious wine flows freely without a drop (there was CHAMPAGNE, guys! but it wasn't a special occasion).

Nice impulse control! 

1 hour ago, Hiroro said:

wanting to be praised for my labor rather than actually being upset about the labor split,

Hmmm. Sounds like you need a spread sheet and some graphs :P 

1 hour ago, Hiroro said:

To me that seems crazy, because my family heavily emphasized the shared meal  --

A lot of studies show how important having a family meal is! 

1 hour ago, Hiroro said:

Apologies for the long post. I've stopped feeling miserable about the whole deal, which is a wonderful improvement

No apologies needed. That is what the forum is for. 

Level 8 Expert in Obscure Details

Challenges: 1 : 234 : 5 : 6The Martian

So sorry you are dealing with both fascitis (sp?)  and knee pain. Rest is the best thing of course. To nurse it along, could you try running on a softer surface (trail)?

You post about living with the BF was very thoughtul. Seems like it might be reasonable to give a little on the leftover thing. Don't necessarily expect him to eat them, but then don't feel obligated to cool/prepare something new.  The breakfast sandwiches sound like his problem as well. If he doesn't want to change, you won't be able to force him to change (and be happy about it). Eventually it would be up to him to decide whether to pursue a healthier and/or cheaper option.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I'm happy that you are finding some peace with the boyfriend - living with someone else is a complex beast!

Sorry about the knee/foot pain... Not cool. I've been having knee issues lately too, and using it as an excuse for too many things...

I loved your meal prep list -it is inspiring me! I need to get back on that track for sure.

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

I clearly spaced on this challenge. But for the record, I did complete my 20 mile and 23 mile runs (yayyyyyy) even though everything else went meh. My France trip got postponed until October so I likely will not get to go (conflicts with my vacation). Kinda bummed about that but very excited about the vacation.

Annnnd the housework saga continues. Bf has the responsibility for mowing the lawn, he hasn't done it in about a month and we got a warning from the city that we're in violation of grass/weed height regulations (8 inch limit). I don't care much how often he mows, but considering I've taken on almost everything else it's disappointing to find I can't trust him to take care of it. Seriously considering outsourcing the cleaning/lawn. This coincidentally happened just as I'm "reading" (via audiobook) Rising Strong by Brene Brown...basically all about working through/out emotions. I have so much emotion tied up in this situation: fear (that when we have kids I'm going to become one of those exhausted, beaten down, depressed moms), anger (over him not respecting my free time as much as he values his), anxiety (that somehow I'm handling this situation wrong), guilt (because love should mean service and it shouldn't upset me as much as it does). Brene Brown's books talk about the importance of vulnerability in the face of fear, and every time I bring the topic up with bf I feel so vulnerable -- and it seems to keep ending with him shutting down and me crying alone. Hopefully his scheduled 1x/month cleaning session comes to fruition.

I catch myself temporarily coping with alcohol and junk food, but am working to put more social things into my calendar for increased happiness outside of the home.

Wrapup

Goal #1: THE FOOD

1a. Meal prep weekly - make breakfasts, and lunches including protein and veggies

SUCCESS - I skipped one weekend prep because I thought I would be leaving for France (sigh), but caught up when the plan changed

1b. Limit alcohol - 3 days/wk max worked well for me last challenge

MEH - I think I succeeded two weeks, and drank 4x/week the last two weeks. Still struggling with the urge to drink under stress

1c. Veggies at dinner - this is the area I want to clean up. I'm fine with some dairy/carbs, but want to at least get produce into every meal.

SUCCESS - nearly every meal. Things have definitely gotten better here

Goal #2: THE WORKOUTS

2a. Run 3x/week per Jeff Galloway marathon training plan

SUCCESS - missed a day or two due to legs not feeling healthy, but hit all the big runs

2b. Lift or strength workout 2x/week

FAIL - nop nope nope

2c. Foam roll + stretch 3x/week

MEH - Was very consistent the first couple weeks, fell off the last week or so...probably because I was having less pain/issues

Goal #3: THE BRAIN

3a. Sleep 8 hrs/night or as much as my body will allow me. I struggled with this last challenge

MEH - still struggling. getting 8 hours less than half the time.

3b. Meditate. If I get through the free Headspace sessions I may subscribe, or just use calm.com

FAIL - I managed maybe 7 sessions, sigh

3c. No solo TV. I can watch with bf or other people (social-ish activity), but stick to music (for background) or reading on my own. If I succeed at this then I will upgrade my Spotify to the commercial-free version for a month.

SUCCESS - unfortunately between tennis and football, bf wants to watch TV all the time so this was not as impressive as I'd hoped.

So overall it looks like I managed about 50%. 

One great development is that two of my friends may become regular workout buddies (one of them will even LIFT with me!), so I'm hopeful that will help me with my cross-training inconsistency.

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger