StarRuby: 2016 - Infected, pt. 2 (Typhoid Ruby)

StarRuby

January… uh… somethingth.

So, the zombie apocalypse was happening. Actually, legitimately happening. National news kept going on like the world wasn’t ending but the locals were getting nothing but radio silence. Power was out, resources were scarce, and I just put on my big damned hero pants to save a teenager stuck in a tree.

Oh, and did I forget to mention I got bit within the first week or this and my days are numbered and it’s only… uh… six days? Until I turn into some undead monster?

Yeah. That sounds about right.

“You caved his head in!” the teenager shrieked.

“Shut up,” I hissed, still gripping the tire iron, “Mister Armless was trying to make you lunch and if you keep yelling more will show up.”

“No-no, I mean- thank you-“

“You’re welcome-“

“But it’s really hard to break a bone like that.”

“I… uh… played softball when I was fourteen,” I told her with a sheepish look.

“What, that was, what? Twenty years ago?”

I can’t believe this. The world is ending and a teenager is giving me crap about being comparatively old.

“Fifteen years ago, kid,” I corrected, “c’mon, we gotta bounce. Things are going to get really bad out here and neither of us are going to do too hot if we stay alone.”

“Wait, who are you?”

Well, crap. I hadn’t actually thought about this. I know, it sounds lame, but it felt kind of weird telling someone what my name was. She was a stranger- also I was going to turn into a zombie in about five days (six days? Five days? Crap, either my memory naturally sucks or this is a side effect of the bite people don’t tell you. ANYWAY). I didn’t want her to get attached. It’s the same principle behind naming the goldfish you win at the state fair. Besides, I just bashed a zombie’s brains in with a tire iron and Heather didn’t sound like a badass enough name to give someone.

“Ruby,” I replied.

“Well, uh, I’m Jessica,” she said. The kid offered a thin hand with chipped nailpolish. She had on sweatpants and a messy bun that had never intended to be cute. I decided instantly that Jessica was a good kid. Like it or not, she was going to be the Clementine to my Lee.

Except, hopefully, it wouldn’t end with a traumatized Jessica shooting me in the head.

Greetings from the great beyond! I figure it's better late than never to get back on this horse. I have a bad habit of getting behind on a challenge, getting eaten by life, and then skulking away in shame with my head hung low wailing whyyyyy? I let all my followers dooooooown! And it is a sad, sad time all around at the Heather compound. 

So, I decided to go through a handle change, get myself geared up, and be ready to rock this jam yet again. I have readers to (hopefully) not disappoint! Stories to tell! Things to talk about and finally get my readers back in the game about figuring out how my main character survives getting bitten during the zombie apocalypse. Eight months later, I am finally going to pick my story back up. I mean that in both a creative sense and a non-creative sense. 

AND NOW, ON TO THE GOALS FOR THIS CHALLENGE!

• Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

"I AM AN ETERNAL FLAME, BABY!"

heatherallyse

str: 1, dex: 1, sta: 1, con: 3.5, wis: 3.0, cha: 1.5

Challenge Chapter I : Exit, Blerch : Chapter II : Enter, Self : Chapter III : Phoenix Ascendant 

Challenge Zombie Arc: 2016 - Infected : Infected, Part II : Typhoid Ruby (Infected, pt II continued)

Hey, look! It's the completely awesome Battle Log I keep neglecting!

Dietary challenge: CREME SODA IS NOT A BREAKFAST FOOD (and neither are oreos)

This one is pretty straightforward, I guess. This is really hits home with me because I keep drinking a creme soda every morning that I am off at my mom's house and refrain from eating something that actually like a real food. I wasn't really doing terribly fantastic about eating breakfast, and I need a certain number of calories to take my morning medicine but I don't actually want to eat ACTUAL food when I wake up in the morning. If I'm not drinking a creme soda, then I'm waking up in the middle of the night and eating six oreos and drinking a glass of milk. 

Yes. It is always six oreos. Always

The easiest thing is to get rid of the oreos in the house, but it doesn't get rid of the temptation of the soda at my mom's. I can't control her fridge but I can control what I eat out of it. I don't ever really want creme soda or oreos any time other than in the morning, so if I just don't eat it in the morning then I am golden. 

• reward: 1 constitution, 1 wisdom
  • (tangible) reward: Uh...

Dietary challenge: Stealing Yasha92's Freggies

She is the first person I've ever heard use the word "freggies". I'm normally not a big vegetable eater. I didn't know that I wasn't a vegetable eater, but I got to thinking about how many vegetables I eat and... uh... I don't. I've really noticed that after I started logging my food that I do not eat vegetables. I buy vegetables and let them languish in the fridge before I throw them away and act all surprised when I feel hangry and unhealthy and gross. So! Every meal, I am going to try and get one vegetable somehow snuck into it. Whether it's a chopped up cucumber in a tuna salad or a plate full of celery (without peanut butter). Also? I don't know why I don't eat fruit because I actively enjoy fruit. 

So! As a reward for eating my vegetables, I'm going to eat some fruit, and I am going to rock this nonsense out loud, sound good? I think so

• Goal: eat 1 vegetable per meal. If you ate a vegetable? You get to eat a fruit, too!
  • reward: +1 constitution, +1 stamina
  • (tangible) reward: A BLENDER! (veggies are much easier in smoothies)

Fitness challenge: I am my own exercise machine (beginner bodyweight workout)

NerdFitness has a workout that they have that is supposed to be super good for you and a great way to get into a good shape without having to actually go to a gym and own a piece of exercise equipment. I looked it over, after hearing numerous people talk about it, and decided that this seemed... kinda fun. Since I don't have a gym membership anymore and I don't have a car, I have to use what is around me. Given that I am always around me, it seemed like a pretty dang good idea to use myself as exercise equipment. 

• Goal: do the beginner bodyweight workout 3x per week
  • reward: +1 strength, +1 dex, +1 stamina
  • (tangible) reward: New sports bras. Because, seriously, we need more in the arsenal.

Mental health challenge: Pay it forward

I hate that phrase, mostly because it makes me think of that one movie where the kid died and he did all of these good deeds and I sobbed like it was going out of style. This is actually my mental health challenge. S I've referenced in a ton of my challenges, I struggle with mental health issues on a somewhat regular basis. I've been keeping up with medications, going to group therapy, and generally trying to keep apprised of things and how to be the best me I can be when my brain has decided that it wants to be an utter jerk to me. 

Right now, I am good, and I've found that when I am good I want nothing more than to help other people who might not be as good. So! Thus begins this challenge. I feel like I could at least use some of the things I've learned and the things I've experienced to help people, even if the only way I'm helping is by letting people know they are not alone. 

• Goal: 
    • Post 1 original article per week on NerdFitness relating to mental health
    • Call everyone in my therapy group 1x per week
  • reward: +2 wisdom, +1 charisma
  • Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

Challenge Chapter I : Exit, Blerch : Chapter II : Enter, Self : Chapter III : Phoenix Ascendant 

Challenge Zombie Arc: 2016 - Infected : Infected, Part II : Typhoid Ruby (Infected, pt II continued)

An update: I had hummus and celery and carrots and... A hamburger. I saw how many calories I blew today with non-real-healthy foods and I reeled. I had a root beer for dinner with it but I managed to keep that to just one and water for the rest of the night.

I can totally do this!

Probably not updating again until Sunday. I'm going camping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

Thanks, LucentFrost!

Today has been a pretty good day but I've blown my goal to not eat a junk food breakfast. Well, really, it was a junk food lunch. Raspberry zingers. Then a dinner of hot dogs and Dr. Pepper and a couple marshmallows. I'm actually craving vegetables and wish I'd put in a request when we got food for the trip.

• Like 1

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

UPDATE: I survived the camping trip! 

I went camping for my sister's birthday this weekend; it was a big surprise for her, so we all surprised her while she was out camping with cupcakes and presents and party games and generally good times. Her husband had orchestrated the whole thing, so it was like a big outdoor surprise party. We had a blast, and nobody was eaten by Bigfoot.

I did, however, end up smacking my niece in the head with a tennis ball while we were playing catch. I was pretty shocked that she took it as well as she did- her response was to huff at me and wave her little velcro-circle-grippy thing at me and go "You're supposed to throw it here!" (Six year olds are pretty much baby Spartans)  I actually got a lot of exercising done, and it wasn't at all hard on me. As it turns out, if I am actually out in nature enjoying the world, I don't notice how much I'm moving and how much I'm pushing myself. Obviously, the logical conclusion is that my sister needs to have more birthday parties in the woods so I can eat food and party hard. 

This weekend... uh... was not too hot within that regard. I like sleeping in, and while I had the opportunity to eat breakfast foods I slept through what one would consider to be a breakfast time. I don't like waking up, so I slept forever and when I woke up it was time for birthday festivities. So, I ate a package of raspberry zingers for breakfast on Saturday and a small hoard of cupcakes for breakfast this morning. And washed it down with Dr. Pepper both times. 

Weak sauce. Such. Total. Weaksauce. 

So, we're looking at Monday being the pick-up-and-do-right time. 

I was actually kinda sad that we didn't have too many vegetables while we were out! I wanted vegetables, but the only thing that we packed were potatoes. I did end up fantasizing about what I would pack the next time I would go camping (which, hopefully, will be a solo mission at the end of September), and the plan consists of getting some carrots, ears of corn, roasting some peppers-

Okay, I need to stop. I'm actively fantasizing about vegetables right now and I need to finish writing this. 

I didn't do the BBW while I was out and about, but I did do a LOT of walking. I mean, I don't actually walk a lot, but I tripled the number of steps that I get in a regular day just walking around outside to go swimming and carrying firewood back and forth. 

I did some journal writing when I had some down time at camp! Texted one of the girls from group and tried to plan what my article is going to be for this week. Checked in on some of the mental health forums I follow and did a few wellness checks on people. Good times!

The story should have its next installment within the next 24-48 hours. Looking forward to seeing what I can pull out next, cheers!

• Like 1

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

On 8/27/2016 at 6:24 AM, StarRuby said:

She is the first person I've ever heard use the word "freggies". I'm normally not a big vegetable eater. I didn't know that I wasn't a vegetable eater, but I got to thinking about how many vegetables I eat and... uh... I don't. I've really noticed that after I started logging my food that I do not eat vegetables. I buy vegetables and let them languish in the fridge before I throw them away and act all surprised when I feel hangry and unhealthy and gross. So! Every meal, I am going to try and get one vegetable somehow snuck into it. Whether it's a chopped up cucumber in a tuna salad or a plate full of celery (without peanut butter). Also? I don't know why I don't eat fruit because I actively enjoy fruit. 

*gasp* freggie burglar! (All is well, we can share!) 

Interested to see your breakfast freggie solution. I can generally eat a raw carrot first thing in the morning, since it's so crunchy, I'm not certain if I could eat a cooked veg for brekkie (maybe mushrooms or tomato with bacon). I found a few freggies that I like and tend to have them on repeat with the occasional new thing thrown in here and there to try (usually whatever happens to be on special I'll give it a try). I've found a bunch I don't like too (like fancy lettuce *shudder*) which I figure is a good learning experience.

Following along!

Update from the bus:

Yesterday was a pretty rough day. I work with/for my mom under the table since I had my mental health crisis a year ago and I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that working there is a very stressful and generally not-good-for-me environment that I am endeavoring to leave once I finish my group therapy stuff.

Now, normal people have a fight or flight response. My body's response to bad situations is, apparently, to hibernate. So, yesterday was spent in a mix of being pursued by an aggressive employer/parent and falling asleep to try and process what just happened.

The good part of yesterday was that I had a great dinner and watched Penny Dreadful! Dinner consisted of a steak, a sweet potato, a veggie skewer, and a salad (with no dressing, so basically lettuce and tomatoes).

I did a lot of work on my group stuff last night and really struggled with it into this morning (which led to a not-too-good today) but I feel like I have a good handle on what I'm writing this week's post about.

This morning-afternoon I ate sooooo much celery, which is my go-to vegetable. I really flipping love celery. I'm thinking about trying some fancy egg-in-a-bell-pepper business tomorrow morning to see if that's something that tastes good in the veggie filled breakfast category

• Like 1

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

Jessica and I grabbed the bare minimum of supplies from her house. Her parents were business travelers. They were supposed to be out of town for a couple weeks before they came back, but I suppose that the collapse of civilization kept them from being able to get home to a teenager. She probably felt cool that she was getting to stay at home instead of staying with her aunt on base. 

I had to get Jessica on base. Her family was there, and the place was locked up pretty dang tight so I figured that it would be relatively zombie free. They're the freaking military, they're bound to be better equipped to deal with zombies. How hard could it be to break into a military base, right?

Right?

Ugh... What was I even doing. I'd lived in this town for almost my entire life. With the exception of the brief stint away from this little place in college, my home town was pretty well the only place that I had actually been. I knew the ins, the outs, the everythings but that didn't mean that I knew how to break into a government installation. Besides, if I was really going to do this, we were going to need to get some supplies. The base was on lockdown, and I was going to need a little more than a tire iron to get in. 

Jessica reached for the dial on the radio impulsively. She flipped past station upon station of dead air before grunting and digging out her phone and plugging it in. My mind started wandering- when was the last time we had been able to make phopne calls? It was about a week into the infection, wasn't it? Like the area was suddenly plunked into a dead zone, or someone killed all the towers that serviced our area. It all felt like a blackout. It all felt like a conspiracy, and as I drove down the street to hit up the hardware store. 

I slid the van into the handicapped parking space in front of the hardware store. I felt a little justified since the previous owner had the parking tag hanging from her mirror. Before I opened the door I looked to Jessica. She kept flipping through the stations and settled onto the national news. Her features grew shaken, uncertain.

"Hey," I said, nudging the teenager in the seat next to me, "it'll be okay. Don't stress."
"Are you going in alone?"
"Yeah," I replied, "you've got the keys. If anything weird starts to happen, start driving. I'm not going to be in more than ten minutes."
"We shouldn't split up."
"You're safer in here, it'll be fine. Besides, I'm armed and dangerous. Zombies got nothin' on me."

Jessica snorted and I piled out of the car. I knew that hardware stores were usually not the best places to be in a zombie apocalypse but if I could make it through this place and get some supplies, we would be golden. I had forgotten something very vital, though: teenagers don't ever listen to directions.

• Like 1

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

It finally happened. 

I ran out of oreos. 

I'm kind of sad that I ran out of oreos, but I am so ungodly relieved by the fact that I am out of oreos because it means that my temptation disks have now been removed from the house and all I have to really worry about is what happens when I leave the house and end up somewhere that isn't my usual place of eating. This morning was a no-soda morning, too, so that was a plus. 

SWEET POTATOES! Everything is sweet potatoes with me, it would seem, and I steamed some tonight to maybe have some in the morning. I'm trying to brainstorm a carrot-and-sweet-potato porridge for breakfast,or maybe some kind of carrot and sweet potato salad for those mornings that I don't really feel like porridge. I have a juicer and I'm trying to get the gumption to use it but I haaaaaaaate cleaning it. So! I uy these things pre-made, but then I don't eat the veggie pulp and the fiber is fantastic. 

No BBW today, but I did end up walking around and getting almost 3,500 steps in- which is a lot for me because I do so very little outside of sitting on my butt. Given that I got knocked for a loop yesterday with some familial duh-rah-muh I felt pretty good with my walking. Tomorrow will be another day!

The first draft is under way! I contacted two of the girls from my therapy, and I think that the one that I didn't contact might be dropping out, which is sad for her but I hope that things work out for her in the long run. I finished my group work for tomorrow and I'm actively looking forward to going and finishing up the post I'm writing for this week. I'm gathering up some of my books and trying to put together something really coherent and helpful. Maybe it'll be a good discussion? Maybe it'll be informative? Here's hoping!

• Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

Geez, did I really take three days of not writing? Bah, I should get back on that. 

Had a couple days of eating out, but I did manage to eat a lot of vegetables. I have failed at the BBW stuff this week, mostly because I didn't make time and I thought I would magically start doing it through osmosis? I walked around a lot playing pokemon though, so I actually did okay with some of the working out. No sodas at breakfast! No more oreos and cookies and ice cream for breakfast, either! 

And? 

I wrote my post today. I'm not sure if it's any good, but I really hope that it helped. PTSD, anxiety, and treatment is a tricky subject so I'm never too sure how to address things that I've done that have helped without sounding like I'm trying to be the world's therapist, but I got the post up and running! 

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

I've really noticed that after I started logging my food that I do not eat vegetables. I buy vegetables and let them languish in the fridge before I throw them away 

heh, that's so me.  Also with fruit  /sad

On 8/31/2016 at 6:57 AM, StarRuby said:

I ran out of oreos. 

I'm kind of sad that I ran out of oreos, but I am so ungodly relieved by the fact that I am out of oreos because it means that my temptation disks have now been removed from the house

Which proves you totally had the intention the last weeks of banning this sugar-thing out of your life!  (well, you didn't buy him at the store last 2 weeks at least)

On 8/31/2016 at 6:57 AM, StarRuby said:

SWEET POTATOES!

Yeeey !! Delicious !!

I mostly eat them as a replacement for french fries or as a Football snack

• Like 1

Nusuth Revamped

Current Challenge

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf 

Jon Kabat-Zinn

A quitter never wins and a winner never quits.

Napoleon Hill

TOday was not the best of days. I'd been doing well this weekend (but haven't been getting in the BBW because I keep forgetting to do it. Elements of it happen, but the workout itself doesn't. I do end up walking a lot though) 

I had a pretty rough day with the family, punctuated with a doctor's appointment that ran behind and brought on all of the drama. There were cookies. There were sodasa. It taught me that I really do emotionally eat and if I can get myself (and keep myself) in a stable place I will be able to tackle anything. 

Though, I am happy to report that I have lost two pounds. I had a salad for dinner with watermelon in it, and the second half of the day was way better than the first. 

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

On Wednesday, I ended up avoiding soda almost entirely, with the exception of one bottle of creme soda at the place that I ate lunch. I pretty well forgot that I had it with me, too. Since I didn't have any of the sugary deathjuice in the house, I didn't go for it overnight... though I did chug some apple juice at 4:00 am because SUGAR.

It was the day of the bell pepper. I had a bell pepper for breakfast, a veggie-based sandwich for lunch (banana peppers, avocado, bean sprouts, and hummus!), and then I had pepper steak for dinner.... where I ignored most of the meat and went straight for the bell peppers. I wasn't too enthused with dinner, but I was pretty pleased with the number of vegetables. 

I keep wussing out on the BBW and I don't know what my deal is. I keep making excuses as to why I'm not doing it and I need to get off my butt and actually do it. Any suggestions on how to motivate myself to getting it done would rock, I'm floundering here.  

We had group yesterday! It was pretty fun. One of the girls there talked about her week- her sister had her house broken into (which was really sad) but the person who broke in stole one of her sister's chihuahua puppies. What kind of person steals a puppy?! So, we concluded that she was robbed by Cruella deVille. 

As for this morning? I had a glass of fruit juice/vegetable juice and a carrot. @Yasha92 had the right idea about eating a carrot in the morning- it's turning out to be my "Oh, CRAP, I need to eat a vegetable!" food.

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

On 08/09/2016 at 4:02 PM, StarRuby said:

I keep wussing out on the BBW and I don't know what my deal is.

the magic trick is to do it in the morning when your will-power is full.  But that is .. easier said then done 

you could : ease into it ?  Like : "ok, i'm not going to debate it with myself again : i'm not doing the bbw-SESSION today"  BUT : i'm going to do at least ONE of those exercises.

And then hope that in a couple of weeks they link together creating a snowball-effect & tadaa : you're doing the bbw-session :) 

Nusuth Revamped

Current Challenge

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf 

Jon Kabat-Zinn

A quitter never wins and a winner never quits.

Napoleon Hill

the magic trick is to do it in the morning when your will-power is full.  But that is .. easier said then done 

you could : ease into it ?  Like : "ok, i'm not going to debate it with myself again : i'm not doing the bbw-SESSION today"  BUT : i'm going to do at least ONE of those exercises.

And then hope that in a couple of weeks they link together creating a snowball-effect & tadaa : you're doing the bbw-session [emoji4] 

I am having a lot more luck with this! And when I do little chunks of it here and there I am getting through it surprisingly well! I am doing a lot of those little row-or things and my squats.

Squats are hard. O_o

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse