The Dorito Effect and Bread, Wine, Chocolate

I just finished reading The Dorito Effect by Mark Schatzker. A couple months ago I read Bread, Wine, Chocolate: The Slow Death of Foods We Love by Simran Sethi. Both of them talk about the state of flavor in our food today. 

I liked Simran Sethi's book better. I felt the writing was better and, well, I'm more interested in chocolate than chicken. Bread, Wine, Chocolate went more in depth with specific foods which gave a more complete picture of that food. I am now buying the more expensive, fancier, coffee after reading her book. I felt morally obligated since I can afford that indulgence once or twice a month, but I'm also being rewarded with coffee that I truly enjoy the taste of and I only add a tiny bit of sugar and no cream at all. Previously, I was adding 2-3 teaspoons of sugar per cup (I know, but I've seen the light!). I bought a coffee grinder and I grind it fresh in the morning. I've turned in to one of those people who can't find coffee I'm willing to pay for at the grocery store. Single origin, light roast, or bust.

I also felt that Schatzker had a bit of an elitist tone running through his book, though he tried to hide it. Nonetheless he made some good points, and I find myself wondering where I can get heirloom chicken locally. I'm curious as to how much better I might find it. I'm not paleo, but I do try to eat better food when I can afford it.

Has anyone else read this two books? Any opinions to share?