Greetings Rebels.

As detailed here, I have finally got my act together in order to fix my health and fitness for the rest of time and keep up with my fast growing dragon-lings.  I have three goals:

• To achieve the Simple Standard of Pavel's Simple & Sinister Kettlebell Program (32KG 1h-swings and TGU).
  • To complete my first obstacle course next April (8 months from now): Rough Runner 10KM.
  • To get my waist back down to it's original size (5 very stubborn inches to go).

The plan:

• Complete S&S routine minimum of 5x per week.
  • Work on pull-up progressions post-S&S when feeling fresh enough.
  • Build up to 5KM running distance:
    • Month 1-2: Warm up jogging pre-S&S 3x per week to test dodgy knee.
    • Month 3+: C25K or similar 3x per week.
  • Continue with current cleanish diet and keep protein levels up.

For both S&S and the runs I will be using a heart-rate monitor to make sure I don't push myself too hard (which I do often), and will try the Maffetone system to ensure good recovery and aerobic conditioning.

My character sheet with some goals broken down is here, and I will be entering the next Challenge.  Best of luck to everyone else!

Cheers :-)

• Like 1

Dovahkiin Ranger Level 0: 0 STR, 0 DEX, 0 STA, 0 CON, 0 WIS, 0 CHA - yey!

A Sinister Battle Log

The Current Challenge: Arangast's Awakening

First session was last night:

• Resting HR 72BPM.
  • 5x10 2h Swings @ 16KG.
    • Peak HR 150BPM.  Recovery was faster than expecting.
    • Could happily have continued, will add another set today.
  • 1x TGU with shoe
  • 4x TGU @ 8KG.  
    • Peak HR 120BPM.
    • Felt a lot stronger and more stable than practice sessions, may be able to go up to 12KG very soon.
    • Right side definitely weaker than my left (I'm sinister lefty too).
  • Total time: 52 minutes (was taking turns on sets with wife to check on form, should be faster from now on).

Overall felt surprisingly energized at the end, looking forward to the next time!

A Sinister Battle Log

Session 2: Mixed results last night.

• First warm-up jog (~1KM).  Legs and knee felt fine, however even at slow pace HR shot up to 170 in just 20 seconds, had to walk the final 200m.
  • Goblet squats are irritating my knee a little, I may have to look at substituting them for a bit.
  • 7x10 2h Swings @ 16KG.  Recovery was a lot slower than previous, perhaps from the jog?
  • 5x TGU @ 8KG.  Feeling more stable every time.
  • Total time: 42 minutes.

Busy day today including birthday party in evening so may not get a practice session in tonight.

A Sinister Battle Log

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Good start. Have you done a video of your goblets to make you aren't putting your knee out to far forward?

Thanks, I don't think I am but I will make some videos of all the movements this weekend and see what my form's like.  I've had problems ever since the surgery with extreme bends of the knee.  I've started doing additional stretches afterwards which help and I substituted them completely for another similar squat yesterday and there's definite improvement, although I've had a little pain going up and down stairs today instead :-(

Session 3:

• 8x10 2h Swings @ 16KG.
  • 5x TGU @ 8KG.  Will start introducing 12KG tonight.
  • Total time: 41 minutes.

I also had a gait analysis, no major issues and now have some proper running shoes.  Until my aerobic fitness has improved I'll be running separately to the S&S session - probably first thing in the mornings.

• Like 1

A Sinister Battle Log

Session 4:

• 10x10 2h Swings @ 16KG.
  • TGU @ 8, 12, 8, 8, 8 KG.  Need to work on right-side technique whilst under weight as right leg keeps coming up at start.
  • Total time: 36 minutes.

This time I tried the goblet squats with a wider stance, it seemed to reduce the pressure on the knee and I've been pain free today.

I'm also beginning to notice increased stability when lifting/carrying things; I spent a day moving furniture and building a bed and was able to pick things up with my arms fully extended and twist whilst still feeling strong.  A couple of weeks ago I would probably have tweaked a muscle (even when I was doing Starting Strength).

Also both my wife and I have become more aware of our posture when picking things up, we can feel the back muscles working.  This is also highlighting how tight my hamstrings are, so I'll be adding some more stretches in after the session from now.

Good progress so far!

A Sinister Battle Log

Thanks Elastigirl :-)

Missed a session at the weekend thanks to a cold, but got one in last night.

Session 5:

• TGU @ 8, 12, 8, 8, 8 KG.  Right side still struggling a little with the 12KG.
  • Total time: 44 minutes.

A Sinister Battle Log

Session 6:

• Having more knee problems so have replaced Goblet Squats with some old exercises from my physio for a while.
    • Feeling comfortable with these now but my recovery between sets is slower than I'd like. HR peaks at about 150 (start of zone 4) and takes a while to get back down to 125 (which allows the next set to peak at 150 again).
  • TGU @ 8, 12, 12, 8, 8 KG.
  • Total time: 34 minutes.
  • Introduced more stretches and some Myofascial release with a Tennis ball - that really hurts!

A Sinister Battle Log

Session 7:

• 10x10 2h Swings @ 16KG in 13:25.
    • I tried some 1h swings at the end and wasn't too bad, so now I need to decide on getting my 2h total time down or introducing some 1h sets.
  • TGU @ 8, 12, 12, 8, 8 KG in 9:45.
  • 4x 3/4 pull ups with palms facing each other.  First time trying these since starting S&S, couldn't do them at all before then!
  • Knee is no longer hurting after the other night but is popping and cracking a lot, hopefully will settle down again soon so I can start doing a little bit of running.

A Sinister Battle Log

Session 8:

• 8x10 2h + 2x10 1h Swings @ 16KG in 16:24
  • TGU @ 8, 12, 12, 12, 8 KG in 12:00
  • Continuing to have knee problems, not sure what's aggravating it so taking a few days off to rest and start the laborious process of trying to see an NHS Doctor. Really bummed as this is the most motivated I felt in many years :-( 

A Sinister Battle Log

After 4 days of rest I'd seen no real improvement with my knee, will be seeing the Dr next week.  However, despite only doing the program for less than 3 weeks I'm completely hooked and really missed not doing it.  I get a buzz that I haven't had from being active in many years and aside from the knee have felt real improvement in the rest of my body, so I decided to do some gentle practice to see what happens.

Session 9:

• 10x10 2h Swings @ 16KG in 11:20
    • Big improvement in peak HR (142) and recovery from last time, wasn't expecting that!
  • Partial TGU (to sitting so no pressure on knee) @ 8, 12, 12, 12, 12
  • 3x5 KB press @ 8KG to make up for the partial TGU
  • 4x 3/4 palm facing pull ups
  • 2x5 inverted row
  • Lots of stretching, despite doing some for 4 weeks my legs are still very tight particularly the hamstrings so I'll be doing this daily going forward.

Really needed to expend some energy so did more than usual, but on the plus side my knee is feeling the best it has in a week so far today (fingers crossed).

A Sinister Battle Log

Session 10 & 11: Gradually brought full TGU's back and increased 1h Swings

Session 12:

• 4x2h + 6x1h Swings @ 16KG in 11:18.
    • Form still needs some work on the 1h swings and I can definitely feel them in my back the next morning.
  • 5x TGU @ 12KG in 9:40.
    • 12KG feeling fairly comfortable already but I can barely get the 16KG over-head so I will stick with it for a couple more weeks.
  • Palms facing pull-up, at 90% of full range, hopefully will do a proper strict rep within the next week!  I've been doing GTG style and attempting 2-3 through the day (my bar is on the kitchen door).

Knee still not perfect but at least the workout doesn't seem to be agitating it now.  Will try and get some goals together for the next Challenge.

A Sinister Battle Log

Have you taken a video of yourself doing the swings? That might help you figure out what is bothering your back. Glad the new is better.

Have you posted your new challenge yet? I haven't, but plan to.This challenge I'm going back to my Simple and Sinister workout. @Suzaqu is also doing Simple and Sinister.

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Have you taken a video of yourself doing the swings? That might help you figure out what is bothering your back. Glad the new is better.

Have you posted your new challenge yet? I haven't, but plan to.This challenge I'm going back to my Simple and Sinister workout. @Suzaqu is also doing Simple and Sinister.

Sorry wasn't very clear there - I meant to say my back was a bit stiff the next morning, just a sign of a good workout :-)

I'm going to record myself doing all the moves this week though and will post them here and maybe the StrongFirst forums too.  I've had my wife watching me with the S&S form checklist to make sure I'm not doing anything too stupid.

That's cool that you're going back to S&S, I'll make sure to follow you! I'll be getting my challenge up tomorrow; I'm seeing the doctor in the morning so don't want to decide on goals until he's looked over my knee, knowing my luck he'll be ordering complete rest so I may need to come up with an upper-body routine to tide me over.

A Sinister Battle Log

Thanks @Elastigirl and @Suzaqu!

The Dr didn't see any major problems, he just thinks the old injury has been agitated and the knee has become stuck in a cycle of inflammation.  I was advised to take ibuprofen and avoid any impact or load bearing exercise for two weeks to let it settle down fully, so that means holding off on S&S for a little bit which is a shame.

He suggested cycling and swimming to keep the knee active and I'll try and come up with some KB & bodyweight exercises for the upper body - I'm so close to getting that neutral grip pull-up!  Maybe KB press, push-ups, inverted rows and pull ups?

I'll set up my challenge later on.  Cheers :-)

A Sinister Battle Log

My husband had knee issues and we bought a stationary bike, and between that asn walking his knee issues have cleared up. Also Tumeric is really good for inflammation. I buy caplets at Costco. KB press might be good too, it uses the legs but not in a bending motion.

• Like 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

My husband had knee issues and we bought a stationary bike, and between that asn walking his knee issues have cleared up. Also Tumeric is really good for inflammation. I buy caplets at Costco. KB press might be good too, it uses the legs but not in a bending motion.

I have a stationary bike gathering dust, but tend to get a very numb bum after 15 minutes or so which no amount of padding helps (lol).  I'll give it another go though!  I will look into Tumeric too, thanks!

I've posted my Challenge here: 

A Sinister Battle Log

19 minutes ago, arangast said:

I have a stationary bike gathering dust, but tend to get a very numb bum after 15 minutes or so which no amount of padding helps (lol).  I'll give it another go though!  I will look into Tumeric too, thanks!

I've posted my Challenge here: 

I don't like our stationary bike for the very same reason.:lol: Not sure what the solution is.

• Like 1

Well I haven't done much since the weekend apart from GTG pull-ups, and last night I finally managed a full neutral grip pullup! From a dead hang with arms straight, up to chest touching the bar and back down again!

Now to start working on a chin-up - the plan is to do the ng pullups one day and work on chin-up ROM the next.  Proper pull-ups will come after I've managed a full chin.

Losing some more weight would help make them easier but having a bit of a shaky time with the diet at the moment, trying not to let my old knee problems get to me too much mentally.

A Sinister Battle Log

@Elastigirl, also funny you should bring up Tumeric as the BBC have just done a piece on it too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37408293

Whilst they were looking at other changes and not inflammation specifically the interesting thing about their study was Tumeric definitely had an effect on the body but only when consumed in it's raw form - the pills didn't do much.  The speculation is that the body can't absorb it very well by itself and it needs to be bound to fats/oils and other stuff used in cooking.  I like Tumeric but not sure I could stomach it every day, might try and incorporate it into our meals a bit more though!

A Sinister Battle Log