Why Am I Doing This To Myself?

Because when the scale read 335 lbs, I had a panic attack. I have 200 lbs to lose.

Because I live on the second floor & I'm sick of knee pain and having to take a break when going up the stairs.

Because I can't fit into the booth at restaurants.

Because barely have the energy to walk around the grocery store, let alone play with my 3 year old nephew.

Because I want to climb trees again, & learn to climb mountains.

Because I want to be able to fit into auditorium & airline seats.

Because when registration opens, I'm signing up for next year's (2017) St. Jude's 10K. So I definitely have to get off the couch for that one.

Hi,

I've always been on the heavier side, though I didn't hit overweight until high school. Even then, it wasn't too bad. I was only a little over & still able to do a lot, including plenty of running around and playing sports. I tended to have jobs that required me to be on my feet moving for most of the day.

Until 10 years ago, I got a job in an office. It's a nice job, still dealing with the public, but over the phone, so I can wear what I want. When there's nothing to do I can do what I want, from watching tv to surfing the internet. Even now, I'm typing this up at said office job. But the job does end up with a lot of sitting, and slowly but surely the weight crept upwards, and my energy crept downwards. 

Early this year a friend of mine mentioned Nerd Fitness in passing. After doing some looking into it, I signed up, both for the Academy and on the forums, though I didn't really do anything with them for a long while. But my weight keeps reaching new heights, and I had to pull up a table to the booth so I could sit with my friends at IHOP the other night. Yesterday, I got home from work, my nephew ran inside & tried to get me to go outside & play with him, but I just couldn't. I sit at work all day, & don't have the energy to play with a 3 year old even a little bit? 

Yeah, I can't keep that up. 

Rory Taye was my first, & only, D&D character. I became rather attached to the sarcastic half-elf even as the game sort of collapsed in on itself (long story - let's just say there are many reasons I haven't been able to play D&D since). I participate in some RPGs, but my nerdiness is more like trying to make a Starfleet Science Officer's (DS9) uniform ("trying" being the operative word there), & reading the latest Dresden Files in 24 hours. 

• Like 2

Moira "Rory" Taye :: wandering half-elf :: Why Am I Doing This? 

Rory's Reconnaissance Missions (Challenges) - 1 - Current -
~~~~

"There will always be someone better than you. But on the bright side - who cares?"

Rory, I'm so glad you're here and I'm so glad you're making the commitment to get to where you want to be - physically, mentally, and emotionally. We will be right there with you as you make this journey - because we're all traveling in the same direction! You have chosen a fabulous place to work toward your goals!

Welcome to the Rebellion, Scout!!

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Welcome, fellow Rebel!

You'll find a lot of people here have a lot of weight to lose (I'm one of them) and a lot who once had a lot of weight to lose.

The NF Academy is a great program for starting out, partly for the realistic progression for someone new to fitness, and mostly for the full-picture approach of not just exercise, but nutrition and mindset. If I could make a recommendation, don't skip the mindset quests as "fluff." Both the clarity of your purpose and the setting of specifically-defined goals are vital for success.

And if I can make another recommendation, c'mon over to the Rebels and start a challenge. We're not quite 2 weeks into a 4-week challenge, but don't let that stop you (you're a Rebel now, let nothing stop you!) Better to start a little late than not at all.

And if you have any questions, just ask anyone. We're all pretty friendly around here.

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin