Phoenix Burning Makes an Effort

Everstorm

So, I dropped off the face of the Earth 8-9 months ago.  While I have had some grand adventures (archery lessons, rock climbing, mud runs, and joining a dojang), I have kind of lacked focus, and definitely missed you Rebels.

Anywho, not sure how challenging a challenge this is going to be, especially signing up a week late, but I want to ease back into things and get back on track.

Goals!  I has them!

Taekwondo

I finally joined a dojang in June, fulfilling a lifelong desire to study martial arts.  I just picked up yellow belt (8th gup) last week, so I have a whole new slew of forms, one-steps, and memorization to work on before December testing.

Goal 1.  Attend at least two classes per week

Goal 2.  Learn/practice Dan Gun tul at least four days a week

Food

I don't have a specific food goal, but I want to spend some dedicated time each day reminding myself why it is important to me to pursue my athletic goals, including weight loss.  I feel like this will help me more with willpower than a set of dietary rules right now.

Goal 3:  Spend at least 10 minutes a day answering the reflection questions from I Deserve a Donut.

• Like 6

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

BFLVJDNFJALFNFNEUXYFLZBAFM!!!

GIRL PHOENIX IS BACK!!!! AND A MONK NOW!!

I want the grand adventure stories. Like. Now. I've been thinking about trying to track you down recently, too. 

Nice not-goals!

• Like 2

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

4 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

BFLVJDNFJALFNFNEUXYFLZBAFM!!!

GIRL PHOENIX IS BACK!!!! AND A MONK NOW!!

I want the grand adventure stories. Like. Now. I've been thinking about trying to track you down recently, too. 

Nice not-goals!

It is good to be back AND to be a proper monk.  I will try to post some tales later, as I have time.  (It's like midnight right now).

BTW, my not-goals were totally inspired by your "guidelines".

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

PHOENIX B IS BACK!!!!

gravity falls

So good to have you back PB. 

16 hours ago, Phoenix Burning said:

archery lessons, rock climbing, mud runs, and joining a dojang

Grease Live tell me more

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Business first:

No Taekwondo class tonight (I will go tomorrow), although my participation may be limited even then, since I badly knocked my knee in a failed attempt to jump a hurdle comprised of 5 stacked body shields in Monday's class.  It's fine to walk on, but sore to touch and gets stiff and sore if I keep it fully bent, so I want to be careful of it.  We'll see.

I studied the Dan Gun video today, paying special attention to the preparations, which are the trickiest part in my mind.  (Handy thing having it right in my thread!)

Today's reflection questions from I Deserve A Donut (And Other Lies That Make You Eat) were:

"I'll Start Tomorrow" Eating

1. What are my boundaries?

2. Is there ever a good (i.e., easy) to start following my boundaries?

3. What sacrifices will I have to make to lose and/or maintain weight?

4.  Will I have to make those sacrifices no matter when I make the commitment to follow your boundaries?

5. What would I gain by starting to follow my boundaries today?

6. What do I think will happen if I don't start today?

7. Would it be better to start following my boundaries today, or is there a good reason to wait?

8. Am I the type of person who can go without boundaries in this area of my life and still lose or maintain my weight?  Why or why not?

9. Is there anything I need to accept?

10.  What will my life and body look like a couple of months down the road if I develop the habit of consistently following my boundaries?

11.  When I think of all I have to gain, is it worth following my boundaries today?

Ok, by popular demand, the first installment of my tale (in spoiler so people who didn't know me from before can skip if uninterested).

The Grand Adventures of Phoenix Burning Part One:  Road vs Obstacle Course Racing

When last we met our hero, Phoenix was in preparation for the final race of the Grand Prix Series in December 2015....

The race was a mere 5K, but I had entertained hopes of setting a new PR.  The pace was grueling, and I completely lost mental focus in the last mile and ended up slowing way down and even walking a little.  Not sure what happened.  The course was a bit more hilly than the area where I usually run, so that may be it.  In any case, I actually did beat my previous best by 1-2 seconds, but instead of being pleased at finally achieving my previous level of fitness after a series of injuries and setbacks, I was severely disappointed.  I had really thought from my training sessions that I would be able to take closer to a minute off my time.  Which is probably why I never posted my race results.  The upside is that the experience solidified in my mind that I am completely over it when it comes to road racing.  I had only taken it up to motivate myself to exercise by having a goal date to perform, but I have pretty well internalized that drive now.  Besides, road races put me in a strange juxtaposition of being so competitive (against myself) that I am compelled to keep pushing for PRs while absolutely hating doing the kind of intense training required to actually achieve them.

So after December, I let go of road running and returned to the trails, which I absolutely love.  I skipped the February obstacle race, because I didn't feel I had the upper body strength to do all the obstacles.  By March I was ready for my second annual run at my all-time favorite course.  It was every bit as awesome as I remembered from the previous year, in spite of a few hiccups like accidentally crossing the chip reader before it was my group's time to start and ripping my favorite running pants AND my favorite running shirt on various obstacles.  I was so proud that I was able to do almost every obstacle without assistance, including a crazy one where I had to get a running start and swing on a rope through a "window" cut into a slanted wall.   The only exception was a six or seven foot wall climb.  An older man running the course with his teenage daughters kindly offered me a leg up over that one.   The second half of the race was mostly mud, and if there is any doubt about how much I love my mud, this photo should lay those to rest:

6904_10209683227776572_70288348213970812

I missed the last obstacle race of the season, unfortunately.  I had seen that there was a "One mile fun run" version that was appropriate for children, so I registered with my two boys (Dreamer, age 10, and Spitfire, age 5).  We were all disappointed that instead of being a shorter, easier version of the obstacle race, it was just a one mile road race.  Dreamer hates road racing even more than I do and found it very challenging to keep running for the full mile.  I hung back with him, trying to encourage him, while Spitfire danced along ahead of us, occasionally pausing to taunt us with how slow we were and boasting that he would finish first.  We were the last to cross the line, but we did finally finish.  At the end, the race volunteers asked if I had registered myself as well as the boys (because they were only giving finisher medals to those who had paid, obviously).  I had, because I feel that using race resources without paying (aka race bandit) is wrong.  However, the volunteer took that to mean I had registered because my ability level was just at the 1-mile mark, and gave me an encouraging "Well done" with my medal that embarrassed me.  I bit my tongue to keep from informing her that I had run a Half Marathon six months previously.  She was just trying to be nice.

That was the last race before it got too hot for running (imho).  Instead, I started registering myself and the boys for archery classes....

To be continued....

• Like 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

@Liam P Boyle  Yes, we use the Chang-Hon pattern system.  Our Grandmaster was one of only three men to be given that title by General Choi himself, and he served as General Choi's personal assistant for several decades, until the time of his (the General's) death.  So our school is VERY traditional in following the principles laid out by General Choi.

Are you doing a different style of TKD now, or another martial art all together?

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

15 minutes ago, Liam P Boyle said:

Different martial arts these days: I practice Taijiquan, & 19th century military saber - I'm getting into classical pugilism and Irish stick fighting.

Ooh, shiny!  I have had an interest in Taijiquan and tried to learn, but with no instructor but Google, I didn't get very far.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Ooh, shiny!  I have had an interest in Taijiquan and tried to learn, but with no instructor but Google, I didn't get very far.

Basically, I learned from a DVD. I would shoot vids of myself to check my own form, and I also got permission from a respected Sifu to send him the clips and get feedback.

Since he was a direct student of the founder of this style of taijiquan, the feedback I was getting was excellent and Sifu even asked me if I could teach at one point.

Unfortunately, I've fallen very out of practice and need to get back to where I was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Race:  Dragonborn     Class:  Druid/Monk

The Journey to Force Mastery: #1 #2  #3 #4 #5 __

The Legend     The Struggle    My MFP Profile    My Strava Profile

41 minutes ago, Angie_Phoenix said:

And we have martial arts in common :)

And the hiking (although the terrain is pretty flat around here, so it's just walking with trees) and didn't you say you did Tough Mudder or some other OCR?

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Goal 1:  I have TKD tonight.  The knee is not recovering as fast as I would like, so we'll see how much I can tolerate.

Goal 2:  Practiced the first 8 moves of Dan Gun several times.  (About 1/3 of the pattern).  I must say I feel like I am picking this up a lot faster than I did with Chon-Ji, but maybe it's just because I've a better idea of what I'm doing now.

Goal 3:  Did the reflection questions from the "Hopeless Eating" section:

1.  How many years have I been struggling with my weight and eating issues?

This question really hit home.  I realized that I have spent the last 20 YEARS gaining and losing weight, basically my whole adult life (I was an ultra skinny child/teen).  At this point I have been fighting against weight gain for longer than I was naturally thin.  That's a bit overwhelming.

2.  How many years (or weeks) have I been diligent about applying truth to the lies that are fueling my habit?

3.  On a scale of 1 to 10, how diligent have I been?

4.  When you think of how long I've been renewing my mind compared to how long I've had this problem, is it realistic to expect 100% victory at this point?  Why or why not?

5.  Since I can't change the past, which of the following do I think I should do?

• Try to find the perfect diet that will make losing weight fun and easy.  (Note: does that diet exist?)
  • Give up and start eating.
  • Beat myself up and think about what a loser I am.
  • Sit back and wait for change.
  • Remember that I'm in a battle, and expect it to be difficult.  Renew my mind every time I feel like eating outside my boundaries.

6.  What should I expect if I choose the last option?

7.  Is there anything I need to accept?

8.  Is there anything I need to do?

9.  Would it help to have someone hold me accountable to the renewing of my mind?  If so, who could I ask?

The Grand Adventures of Phoenix Burning, Part Two:  Archery

In the spring, I saw that the local military base was offering dirt-cheap Parent/Child archery classes.  Archery is another one of my bucket list items.  In fact I remember asking for a "bow and arrow" for Christmas one year as a child, but my parents gave it to my brothers instead...but I digress.  I signed my sons and I up for the 3-hour course, and it was fully awesome. 

The first hour was safety instruction and technique, the second hour was practice and refining technique, and the third hour was fun shooting games:  popping a balloon taped to the target, increasing target distance, hitting small animal forms instead of a target, shoot around the animal to hit a balloon on the target, and a competitive tic-tac-toe type game.  (We refrained from the classic apple-on-the-head game, though. :friendly_wink::apple: )

I am no prodigy or anything, but I was happy with my ability for a beginner.  I rarely missed the target and scored a few bulls-eyes, so it was all good.  Dreamer did well, too, but poor Spitfire is so small he had trouble drawing the bow hard enough to make the arrow fly, and mostly hit the ground in front of the target.  He is a natural athlete, so this kind of failure was new to him and he did not take it well.

The only real downside for me was my old overly-flexible joint problem striking in an all new way.  Apparently, when raising the bow, most people naturally hold their arms correctly with the elbow rotated outwards.  My stupid elbow naturally rotates up.  Such a small thing may seem irrelevant, except that with the elbow in that position, it sticks out into the path of the string when you release.  Result:  the string snaps back and hits your arm.  It's like being snapped with a rubber band.  Multiplied by 100.  My forearms were black and blue for over a week after class; my husband refused to be seen with me unless I wore long sleeves because he was sure someone would see the bruises and get the wrong idea.  I saw it as a badge of honor.

I enjoyed the class so much that I signed us all up for another session the next month, and my husband joined us.  I had the foresight to purchase an arm guard this time, so I had fewer bruises (just one where the string hit above the guard).  The session was too long for my kids, who took off to play on a nearby playground while my husband and I played the tic-tac-toe game.

The boys seem kind of over it, so I'm waiting for the weather to cool off, and then I will go to the archery range and develop my skill.  I can rent a bow from them and shoot for $7, I think.

Tune in next time for adventures in rock climbing!

• Like 4

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

I survived Taekwondo better than expected.  The knee pain seems more like a deep bruise than a sprain; if spinning back kicks don't tweak it, nothing will!  The instructors forbade me to do mountain climbers, and I couldn't do my usual knee pushups, so I did a sort of shoulder shrug plank, which is the best I can do for a proper pushup.  #limpnoodlearms   Otherwise, I did everything the instructors asked of me.  Fortunately, they took it pretty easy on us, I think because they figured the kids were stressed enough with the first week of school.  Towards the end of class we were doing partner games.  Due to a shortage of adults, I was paired with a 12-year-old black belt for arm wrestling.  It was a draw.  Did I mention limp noodle arms?

On a more serious note, I was inspired by @BlackTezca to add a side quest to my challenge:  22 pushups a day for 22 days #22kill.  The idea is to raise awareness for veteran suicide rates (22 every day) and mental disorders like PTSD.  This strikes very close to home for me, since my husband was very near to stepping off that ledge a few years ago, and still suffers from flashbacks and nightmares.  This one's for you, Sweetheart!  

And also because limp noodle arms.

• Like 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

I enjoyed reading about your adventures. Great to see you're still a Ranger at heart. :D

Could you do incline push ups instead of knee push ups for now? I prefer incline as my knobbly knees don't like being knelt on for long.

That 22 push up challenge sounds like a fantastic idea. I think I might join you in some noodle arm push ups!

• Like 2

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

4 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I enjoyed reading about your adventures. Great to see you're still a Ranger at heart. :D

Could you do incline push ups instead of knee push ups for now? I prefer incline as my knobbly knees don't like being knelt on for long.

That 22 push up challenge sounds like a fantastic idea. I think I might join you in some noodle arm push ups!

Oh, yes, I am a Ranger-Monk.  That is now a thing.  It fits in with the MovNat philosophy I have adopted (a.k.a. DO ALL THE THINGS!!!).

skills-movnat.png

You'll probably see me back in the Ranger Guild after the New Year, when my training focus shifts back to OCR fitness in prep for the Grand Prix Trifecta.  For now, though, the emphasis is taekwondo belt test in December.

I can (and do) train incline pushups at home.  I personally feel they are a better progression than knee pushups, anyway.  However when I am in class, we have to drop and do pushups, so I have to do whatever I can on the floor.  The instructors are sympathetic and don't give me a hard time about not having full range of motion yet.  It's just me who gets frustrated.

Yes, we shall do pushups and banish noodle arms forever!

• Like 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness