Phoenix Burning Makes an Effort

Everstorm

6 hours ago, Kishi said:

I seem to recall hearing guan as a term for a school before too (dialects and such), but that might not be the same thing.

I am not sure about guan, but in Korean kwan is translated as school, but here it refers more often to "school of thought" or "style" rather than the training facility, which is dojang.  For example, Tae Kwon Do claims to combine the nine major kwans of Korea.  It's not too much of a stretch to imagine guan being used similarly by some other language in the region, but I can't prove it.

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Pretty sure @Raxie is a real-life snake owner.

Oooh, and I think your idea of a skeleton multi-year plan and more detailed 3-6 month plan is really good.

Better her than me.  My youngest is really curious about them after seeing that little one last week.  He was hoping to see another when we walked through that area again today, but we didn't.  (Much to my relief).

I have finally stopped underpantsing and am actually drawing out said plan.  I have to say, I like how it is looking.  It makes things feel more practical and concrete.  I was tickled to come up with a cute acronym for it: B-FIT 40 (Before I Turn 40).  Then I realized that in my mind I had turned "Before" into two words to make that acronym work (Be-Fore).  DERP Oh, well.  I like it too much to change it now.

• Like 4

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

On 9/14/2016 at 4:36 PM, Kishi said:

I seem to recall hearing guan as a term for a school before too (dialects and such), but that might not be the same thing.

I think that's Cantonese rather than Mandarin but I'm not sure.

Race:  Dragonborn     Class:  Druid/Monk

The Journey to Force Mastery: #1 #2  #3 #4 #5 __

The Legend     The Struggle    My MFP Profile    My Strava Profile

Image result for let me sum up

Ahhh, the end of the challenge.  How did I do for the past three weeks?

Taekwondo

Goal 1.  Attend at least two classes per week.  Done! A+  (Too easy, does not need to be a specific goal moving forward)

Goal 2.  Learn/practice Dan-Gun teul at least four days a week.  Done!  I have the gist of this one.  Now I just need to make it smooth.  A 

Food

I don't have a specific food goal, but I want to spend some dedicated time each day reminding myself why it is important to me to pursue my athletic goals, including weight loss.  I feel like this will help me more with willpower than a set of dietary rules right now.

Goal 3:  Spend at least 10 minutes a day answering the reflection questions from I Deserve a Donut (And Other Lies That Make You Eat)Kinda.  I did this some days, but not as consistently as I wanted, and certainly not as deeply as I needed.  I feel like this could be a very helpful practice, and I might need to work on doing it better.  C

Side Quest:  22 pushups a day for 22 days.  #22KilledIt!  This was a great side quest to have added and I really feel like it has done a lot for my upper body strength (or lack thereof).  I will definitely be carrying this goal forward into future challenges.  A+

So this was a decent comeback challenge for me over all.  Diet was my weak point, as usual, but I had a revelation this week that my "food control" muscle is as limp noodle as my poor arms are.  I don't feel like a failure for having low upper body strength, I just know I need to work on improving it.  I don't have to feel like a failure for having poor food control, either.  I just need to work on improving it.

For those who are interested, here is a long-ish sneak peak at my B-Fit 40 plan:

My three main goals for the next two years are:

1. Lose at least 30lbs (le sigh)
  2. Finish a Spartan Race; I have my eyes set on the Fort Bragg Spartan Sprint, Sept 2017
  3. Earn a Red Belt in Taekwondo (2nd Gup)  It would have been super awesome to say "get a black belt before I turn 40", but after looking at the hours I would need, I can see that it's impossible.  And this is why plans are good.  If I am really, really, really diligent, I may be able to get the black belt before 41, though.  So, "Earn a Black Belt at 40" might be possible.

There are, of course, many mini-goals along the way, like smaller OCRs and four belt ranks between now and then.  These are the big three, though. 

Looking at said goals, I can see that there are three areas of weakness I need to address right away:

1. Sugar addiction - this is the part of diet that sinks me the most
  2. Limp noodle arms (and upper body/core strength in general)
  3. Lower body flexibility limitations

Numbers 2 and 3 are concerns both for Spartan racing and Taekwondo.  The biggest thing holding me back from attempting a Spartan is burpees.  If I can't do a pushup, I can't do burpees.  No burpees, no Spartan.  Flexibility is helpful in climbing.  The significance for Taekwondo should be obvious (punching and kicking people in the face!!!)

My strategies for addressing these issues include: eat less sugar (somehow), pushup progressions working lower inclines until I reach the floor, L-sit progressions (since L-sit requires both upper body/core strength and lower body flexibility -- combo bonus!), and a daily "movement multivitamin" of various exercises auxiliary to either the L-sit or the inevitable burpees, with some cardio thrown in for maintenance purposes.  More details on the movement multivitamin in the next challenge. 

Here is what the rest of my year looks like:

September

Incline Pushups (24" from the ground), Grease the Groove

L-Sit progression (Alternating Foot Lift)

Movement Multivitamin

Taekwondo (Dan-Gun)

October

Incline Pushups (24"), Make it easy

L-Sit progression (Alternating Foot Lift)

Movement Multivitamin

Taekwondo (One-Steps)

November

Incline Pushups (18"), Grease the Groove

L-Sit progression (Tuck Position)

Movement Multivitamin

Taekwondo (Perfect practice makes perfect)

December

Incline Pushups (18"), Make it easy

L-Sit Progression (Tuck Position)

Movement Multivitamin

Taekwondo (Green Belt Test)

So that's about it.

Image result for Catch You On the Flip Side

• Like 5

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Well done on this challenge. I like your B-Fit 40 plan, lots of good and exciting stuff in there. 

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

I agree, you've got some great goals ahead for B-Fit 40!!  Excited to watch you annihilate them!! ^_______^

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Well done on this challenge. I like your B-Fit 40 plan, lots of good and exciting stuff in there. 

Thanks!  The plan actually makes "DO ALL THE THINGS" look plausible.  We'll see what happens when plan meets reality.

52 minutes ago, shaar said:

I agree, you've got some great goals ahead for B-Fit 40!!  Excited to watch you annihilate them!! ^_______^

I am pretty excited about it, too.  Turning 40 is inevitable (the alternative is unthinkable), so I might as well make it LEGENDARY!

Image result for blacklist the suspense is killing me

New challenge thread up!

• Like 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

40 is not optional. How you get there is. :D

I like the plan, and I think you can make this work. It's just a matter of applying it. I think that, given how much other cool stuff that there is to do that it takes a lot of guts to just narrow your focus down to a few things and to do them well. I wish you the best of luck with that!

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Kishi said:

40 is not optional. How you get there is. :D

I like the plan, and I think you can make this work. It's just a matter of applying it. I think that, given how much other cool stuff that there is to do that it takes a lot of guts to just narrow your focus down to a few things and to do them well. I wish you the best of luck with that!

The nice thing about Spartan training is that it includes a pretty broad range of activities, so I don't feel too restricted by the focus.

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness