Discworld Series

In an io9.com article I have long since forgotten about, I saw a rather quirky illustration of a space turtle with four elephants on its back, and a flat world on the backs of the elephants. Seeing this, I thought, "How absurd. I have to check this out." Then I forgot about it.

It came back into my head recently and I remembered that this was the setting of the Discworld series. And in my research, I discovered that there are 41 books in this series! 

Anyone here read through this series? I've already downloaded the first book, The Colour of Magic, but I've got to think that out of the 41 books there are quite a few stinkers in there. Which books should I avoid? Which are can't miss? 

CharlieBoston

My Character Page

Introduction - CharlieBoston and the Wavering Motvation
Fitocracy Profile

Athlinks Profile

"Hope, D'Argo. It's what keeps you going... I have hope or I have nothing."

I've read every book except the most recent one (I couldn't bring myself to read it after Sir Pratchett passed away). The writing style matured a ton over the years. The first few, my least favorites, are more of a traditional parody on fantasy. I feel like the Death series are the beginning of the change. That's where I felt like he got closer to the characters, they took on more personality. About the same time it became less of a strict fantasy parody and more of a commentary on the world. I prefer his later books over his earlier ones. 

It's been a few years so I can't give you a book by book review but I used to start people off with Small Gods. It stands alone in a lot of ways and it's about that linchpin period of transition. If you just start there and read forward, you'll eventually want to go back and start over but it's a good way to go. Another option is to look for the story arcs. Rincewind and the Unseen University have a few books, Nanny Ogg has her own, The Watch have their own. The last half dozen or so books branched out to some newer characters, are very much real-world commentary but are great Making Steam, Going Postal, those few. If you were going to pick an arch, maybe The Watch.

• Like 5

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

45 minutes ago, CloneClubber said:

I started the Colour of Magic and just couldn't get into it...which is a bummer because I really wanted to read the series. 

I'm sorry to hear that. I think a lot of people do exactly this. The Colour of Magic isn't a great representative of the series. If you feel like trying again, try one of the suggestions above and you may have a different experience. The series isn't for everyone and that's totally ok too.

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

17 hours ago, CloneClubber said:

I started the Colour of Magic and just couldn't get into it...which is a bummer because I really wanted to read the series. 

I started with Mort and really liked it, Death takes an apprentice what's not to like.

I found both The color of magic and The light fantastic, were actually better after reading some of the other books. 

They don't have to be read in any order, for instance Witches abroad was the first of the witch books I read, although it is nice to follow a character(s) through their series.

• Like 3

How you do anything, is how you do everything!

Agree with londonirishman. First two are best kept for later, but after that I found all of them very readable. Wasn't over the moon on Going Postal and Making Money.. not sure why, probably didnt click with the main character, but they weren't stinkers. Myself, am very fond of Small Gods, Pyramids, Interesting Times and Men at Arms.

.sec... there was .. somewhere... ah yes. maybe useful. maybe not ;o)

03b767e93e1885b330402b0956c003fb.jpg

• Like 2

Remember that sensory deprivation causes hallucinations

My favorite so far was The Truth. But I also loved the witches series. I'm reading them in chronological order and at the moment I'm reading The Mascerade.

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!