Hi everyone! I've been here before, but now I'm here as kind of a last ditch effort. I'm here because I've had a hard time with some disordered eating habits that have hit me again more recently. I'm weak, unfit, and my mind is suffering. My goal in coming here is to feed my body and inner nerd. I'm really really hoping to meet some people here. I have a really strong support system when it comes to my disordered eating and I am hoping to break all ties and fill the void with something healthier. 

I'm excited to be in a place that loves the nerdy. I'm less of an RPG nerd and more of like a reading/harry potter/cat loving/doll collecting nerd. I actually hope to learn a bit more about RPGs though. 

That's the best I've got as far as an introduction goes. Look forward to seeing some of you around and getting strong, fit, and well! 

• Like 3

Welcome Back @CloneClubber :D I'm sorry to hear you're going through a relapse, and I imagine you already know that you're not alone here with these kinds of troubles. (I'm in metabolism repair mode at the moment) There are a few of us that are fairly outspoken about this, and others finding voices more and more everyday. Perhaps if there is interest it would make sense to set up a thread specific to our needs. In the meantime, feel free to reach out if you need an ear or anything at all, and good luck on your goals! :D 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, CloneClubber said:

I actually hope to learn a bit more about RPGs though. 

Welcome aboard glad to meet you.  I will gladly talk RPGs with you (and just about anything else).  What would you like to know about them?

• Like 1

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

21 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

Welcome! You'll have plenty of company here, both with those who also have struggled with disordered eating and with your various nerderies. One thing you can say about nerds: we can geek out over anything. B) 

Good luck on your journey!

Thank you for the welcome! I'm so glad to hear their are others! I mean not that I want anyone to have gone through any of this, but it's good to know I'm not alone, especially here. I was nervous to admit such information about myself.

21 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Welcome Back @CloneClubber :D I'm sorry to hear you're going through a relapse, and I imagine you already know that you're not alone here with these kinds of troubles. (I'm in metabolism repair mode at the moment) There are a few of us that are fairly outspoken about this, and others finding voices more and more everyday. Perhaps if there is interest it would make sense to set up a thread specific to our needs. In the meantime, feel free to reach out if you need an ear or anything at all, and good luck on your goals! :D 

I love the idea of a thread dedicated to that. Would you be willing to start one? I feel like I'm at square one here and like too much of a noob to post anything major yet :P 

49 minutes ago, bker1370 said:

Welcome aboard glad to meet you.  I will gladly talk RPGs with you (and just about anything else).  What would you like to know about them?

Hey there! Yes, what I'd like to learn more specifically is character building and then what you do with a character. I honestly know nothing more than you roll a dice and it helps determine your next move...yes honestly that's all I know. I don't have any friends that enjoy RPGs so I just never learned! 

• Like 1

I am about to have to head into work, but I will give you a lengthy explanation when I get home.  This is actually something I really enjoy  (just do not have a group to play with at them moment).   I have also had to teach everyone I played with before as I was the only one who knew anything about the games so I am used to playing teacher for them LOL.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, CloneClubber said:

I love the idea of a thread dedicated to that. Would you be willing to start one? I feel like I'm at square one here and like too much of a noob to post anything major yet :P 

Deal.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, CloneClubber said:

what I'd like to learn more specifically is character building and then what you do with a character. I honestly know nothing more than you roll a dice and it helps determine your next move

Actually rolling a dice rarely determines your next move, that is generally something you decide yourself.  The dice generally determines the success or failure of what you tried to do.  However, that is actually getting a little ahead of things.

First, allow me to say that the bulk of my experience (probably 95+%) is with one game system.  That system is technically called Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, 2nd edition, more commonly referred to as AD&D 2nd ed.   The current edition of the game is the 5th edition.  As a result, there are many game mechanics changes that I am not up to date with but the basic concepts should have remained the same (and be the same across other games systems as well.)

You begin be creating a character.  This is generally done with the help (or at least final approval) of your Game/Dungeon Master (the GM or DM as appropriate).  There are several "official" ways to do this (and probably as many "house rules" variations as there are games).  The steps, however, will be basically the same.   You will begin by generating (generally using dice) ability scores--examples of which from my game can be seen in my signature as I set up my "character" here using the rules I was familiar with.

You will then chose a race and a class (or classes).  You will then chose, based on that race and class combination, what your character knows how to do, covering both combat abilities and non-combat abilities.  There are other optional things that can be included as well in my game system and I'm sure there are in most others as well.  The final step is then to equip your character using whatever system is in place for that game (some games give you a list of starting equipment, others give you a certain amount of starting money to purchase your equipment with).

You now have a playable character.  It is possible that you also choose to develop a personality for your character that helps you play the role better. Other games focus much more on combat and thus personality is not really needed--this is not a system issue it is a style of play issue.   Some AD&D games are very character/role driven and have very life-life characters complete with favorite drinks and foods etc, others are almost exclusively combat-oriented and all you really need to know is how your character fights.  Most fall somewhere between the extremes.

As for what you do with your character now that you have one, that is generally almost entirely up to you as the player.  The DM will introduce an adventure for the party (group of characters).  They will, generally, follow along with what they need to do to advance the adventure.  The most basic kind of adventure would be to explore a local dungeon (maybe a cave complex or something of the sort).  The party travels to the location (possibly encountering other creatures--friendly, hostile, or neutral--along the way).  Once at the location, they will begin to explore with each class of character having some special skill to contribute.  They will likely encounter monsters of various kinds to fight, possibly traps to disable or avoid, puzzles or riddles to solve, etc.   Whenever there is a decision to be made about what your character is going to do next, you as the player makes that decision  (do you fight or run away?  If you decide to fight, how do you fight?  Up close?  from a distance?  with magic of some sort?).   You then roll dice to determine if you succeed or not (say you choose to fight with a sword--you will roll a dice to determine if you hit your opponent or not.  If you do hit you will roll another dice to see how much damage you did).

Although that is a fairly long post, it is still a pretty trimmed down summary of things.  Character creation with all the options to choose from is the first 6 chapters of the AD&D Player's Handbook.  If you have any questions (or anything was confusing), please just ask.  I will teach you as much as you wish to know LOL

• Like 1

On 8/31/2016 at 11:14 AM, CloneClubber said:

Hi everyone! I've been here before, but now I'm here as kind of a last ditch effort. I'm here because I've had a hard time with some disordered eating habits that have hit me again more recently. I'm weak, unfit, and my mind is suffering. My goal in coming here is to feed my body and inner nerd. I'm really really hoping to meet some people here. I have a really strong support system when it comes to my disordered eating and I am hoping to break all ties and fill the void with something healthier. 

I'm excited to be in a place that loves the nerdy. I'm less of an RPG nerd and more of like a reading/harry potter/cat loving/doll collecting nerd. I actually hope to learn a bit more about RPGs though. 

That's the best I've got as far as an introduction goes. Look forward to seeing some of you around and getting strong, fit, and well! 

As I said before in another thread, welcome.  I'm also on old school AD&D 2nd ed. player, so I can help there as well.

• Like 1

Race:  Dragonborn     Class:  Druid/Monk

The Journey to Force Mastery: #1 #2  #3 #4 #5 __

The Legend     The Struggle    My MFP Profile    My Strava Profile

Thank you @bker1370! That is such a thorough explanation! I will come back to it several times I'm sure. Especially when I build my character here!

Thanks again @Liam P Boyle for the welcome again and the offer to help! I'm excited to have so many willing to teach me. I will definitely be coming back to you with questions once I get crackin' on a character here!

• Like 1