• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bernard Marx

C25K and first race guidance

A little over a month ago, I decided to sign up for my first 5k and started using the rundouble C25K app. I allotted more than nine weeks from starting the program before the date of my race on the advice of the internets claiming that many people need to repeat a week or two in the program. 

Well, so far, I'm in Week 6 and haven't needed to do that. In fact, when I did the twenty minute run workout I felt really good averaging a 9:30 pace (my race goal for the first one is to try and come in under 10min/mile). So I'm looking at the calendar and realizing that if I don't wind up needing to repeat two weeks between now and the final week, I'm going to have two weeks before the race with no idea what's appropriate training (I am an utter running noob armed only with a smartphone app, a few tips from a coworker, and a few articles from lazy Google searches). JFGI didn't return any obvious or consensus answers, so I figured I'd stop in with my Rebellion friends and see if anyone has any suggestions.

The last few weeks of the app seem to be just straight timed runs that add two minutes to the run each week, so is it as simple as continuing that pattern for a couple weeks and getting into longer runs, is there a type of workout I could do that would help me use the time to push my pace, or should I just repeat the last week a couple times to maintain?

Any advice or opinion is greatly appreciated.

Hi! I'm no expert at running, but I completed C25K and I just followed the app's instructions without any extra effort needed. I did try to do some exercises in between, but that was more to do with getting a little bored of just running than anything else. I run rather slowly(~10min/km), so I finished my first ever 5k in 50mins, but I managed to finish it anyway! 

Good luck with your C25K journey! 

When i finished C25K I was running the full 30 minutes but not quite up to 3.1 miles so I used the time to build my way up. If you are sub 10 m/m you are  fine in that area. I would personally probably try and work my way to 3.5 o 4 miles before the race so 3.1 becomes a bit of a routine distance. 

While you don't really need to taper for a race of that length, I'd be mindful of how you feel a day or two after you run. You don't want tot run your race on tired legs so back off in the final week as needed.

On my final week (assuming a Sat race), I'd probably do 3-4 on Monday, 3-4 on Wed, and 1 on Friday (Only if you feel you can fully recover from that mile before Saturday). I always like to run a mile the day before a race to sort of warm the legs up and prepare your muscles to fire on race day.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I wound up repeating the final week twice, but each repeat, I tried to do Monday - hold my pace under 8 min for as long as I can, jog it out, then see if i can push back up like an interval. Wednesday, nice easy jog, 10:30 or more, Friday, try to maintain my goal pace for the duration.

Not sure if it helped, but I ran the race today, and finished 404 out of 1200 at 29:04 (9:17/mi average).

My goal was to break 30 min, and I met my goal, so I'm happy. Debating now whether I want to do one of the 5k improver programs to see if I can get faster with this event, or if I want to do a 5k - 10k bridge program and start trying to walk my distances up to halfs and eventually full marathons. Happy decisions to ponder I suppose. Thanks again.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Rosie's Riveter said:

Way to go on finishing the race! And awesome time! I am doing my race, after completing C25K, next weekend. And I have the same time goal as you. Anyways i'm quite inspired by your progress! 

GO GO GO!!!

• Like 1

Oh, I needed that motivation today! Congrats and THANK YOU!

I'm trying to start c25k proper tomorrow morning, stress or no stress going on in my life. Awesome time! I'll be glad to finish the 5k. LOL