• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedStone

Disordered Eating Support

So this challenge is nearly over, and I figure it's time to check in on everyone all around - how is everyone feeling about their progress this month? Any major changes, challenges, successes?

I had a massive down, followed by a slow and steady up. I'm eating well again, and much more relaxed about the types of foods I'm getting, while still trying to be as healthy as possible. I got a ton of support from my NF friends and seeing them in person over the weekend seemed to clear out the last of the negativity for me so I will take that as a massive win!

Hope ya'll are feeling well <3 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2016 at 0:14 PM, Rosie's Riveter said:

Anyways sorry for just barging in and dumping my issues in here and not really commenting on anything. I'm in overload mode and just trying to keep myself away from negative places by distracting myself. Love you all. I'm thankful this place exists. 

I feel like I do that too. Even when I do post responses, when it comes time to write about my own struggles I always end up feeling like I'm hogging the thread.

3 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

So this challenge is nearly over, and I figure it's time to check in on everyone all around - how is everyone feeling about their progress this month? Any major changes, challenges, successes?

I had a massive down, followed by a slow and steady up. I'm eating well again, and much more relaxed about the types of foods I'm getting, while still trying to be as healthy as possible. I got a ton of support from my NF friends and seeing them in person over the weekend seemed to clear out the last of the negativity for me so I will take that as a massive win!

Hope ya'll are feeling well <3 

I started this challenge so hopeful, possible new job and working on getting back on ADHD meds, but then it just turned into a big waiting game and I won't know anything till November, so my moods been in a bit of a fog, and I start thinking that maybe these things won't happen after all. And it doesn't help that our food stamps didn't get renewed cause of a bunch of confusion on my end plus I'm actually really bad at being an adult. So food has just turned into whatever I can get at work until they process my application. For most days that turns into a coffee and some kind of pastry or bagel for breakfast, my usual lunch, and grab a candy bar or a small bag of chips for dinner on my way out. (The one thing I'll miss about this job: free food.)

8 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I feel like I do that too. Even when I do post responses, when it comes time to write about my own struggles I always end up feeling like I'm hogging the thread.

Well, since I technically started this thread I think that gives me the power to decree that hogging the thread is exactly what it's here for! And honestly, why it took me so long to do it. I know it's not easy to unload with these things, and we've all been there. Now we can all be there for each other :) 

8 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I started this challenge so hopeful, possible new job and working on getting back on ADHD meds, but then it just turned into a big waiting game and I won't know anything till November, so my moods been in a bit of a fog, and I start thinking that maybe these things won't happen after all. And it doesn't help that our food stamps didn't get renewed cause of a bunch of confusion on my end plus I'm actually really bad at being an adult. So food has just turned into whatever I can get at work until they process my application. For most days that turns into a coffee and some kind of pastry or bagel for breakfast, my usual lunch, and grab a candy bar or a small bag of chips for dinner on my way out. (The one thing I'll miss about this job: free food.)

So far as I'm concerned, October 2016 can suck it. Hurry up and wait is one of the hardest things to have to deal with... especially when there's just nothing in our power to change things. I'm sorry to hear that you won't have any more information, and good thing the month is almost over! (And thank glob you can get food at work!!!) Will you be able to sort out the stamps soon? 

I know it's easy to start erring on the negative when there's a long period of waiting. I'm pretty much in the same boat with the license suspension. Every time I get super down about it I remind myself that it's only temporary, and I wish I could find this video about the nature of zen and the symbol of the ying yang - it's something I always go back to... the circle is supossed to be spinning, there's a little black in the white, and white in the black. From good things come bad things, it keeps turning and then bad things bring good. They don't exist without each other and are always in motion.  TLDR: the hard parts are part of life, but it always keeps moving and good things follow. If I ever find that video I'll post it :) meanwhile... 

5SKgPBV.gif

• Like 3

HI EVERYONE!!! IT'S ZERO WEEK! My favorite week. I loooove zero week because it's a chance to look back and reflect about whats been going on, whats been working and what needs to be adjusted, and to just decompress a bit and sort things out. Is anyone else jumping right in to a challenge? Or maybe taking some time to sort out some goals? What are you looking forward to?

I don't have a specific food goal this challenge, but I'm working on the same old - upping my calorie intake to repair my metabolism. I'm up to 1600cals now most days! And I'm happy to say that my weight and measurements are stable. The next step is to go for 1750 - 1800, and the thought petrifies me... but at the same time I'm getting kind of used to the idea of these jumps petrifying me :P 1400 was horrifying, 1600... and yet here I am, at the same weight, but with more energy and more strength! So what have I got to lose?

Hope you're all on the up and up for a new round of making every day better, and we're always here if you need a hug. Love you awesome nerds!

• Like 2

I want to jump right in, but I've having trouble finalizing my challenge. I'm having a bit of a fight with it, really simple vs really specific vs too many things. I do want to include some food tracking in the form of proportions of food groups, and I've got a spreadsheet set up for it, but I don't know how to include that in the really simple version of my challenge that I've also got the spreadsheet set up for. I think I'm going to go rewrite my challenge again... o_o

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

really simple vs really specific vs too many things

Well, that's hard to say of course, without knowing anything more specific, but simplicity usually wins when it comes to consistency! It also helps in terms of getting a few wins under our belts, especially after a difficult period. You're always welcome to DM if you want an extra pair of ears as a sounding board! You know I'm coming off a rough patch... and I ended up talking out my plan with a whole mess of folks in my support circle and rewrote my challenge 5 times before committing lol :P 

• Like 2

@zeroh13 The way I've managed to include "complex" tasks into my simple challenge spreadsheet, is by only tracking done/not-done. I'll know if I did well. If I didn't quite get the whole thing done it will be an automatic not-done, unless that task isn't high priority and doing sort of ok is fine (which is what kept me sane the last two challenges).

• Like 1

That said, I've been having to focus on things other than how/what I eat, and my guess is the way to make it work without using the much needed energy, is by having a template for what to buy when x.

X being when, for example; I crave snacks or anything out of the healthy limits, or need more food to get through the week, etc. Something easy to follow and adjust on the fly...

And seems my sleeping schedule got messed up since last week, that'll have to be strictly tracked this time.

I'm both looking forward and terrified of the end-of-year developments and beggining-of-the-year outcomes, lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Well, that's hard to say of course, without knowing anything more specific, but simplicity usually wins when it comes to consistency! It also helps in terms of getting a few wins under our belts, especially after a difficult period. You're always welcome to DM if you want an extra pair of ears as a sounding board! You know I'm coming off a rough patch... and I ended up talking out my plan with a whole mess of folks in my support circle and rewrote my challenge 5 times before committing lol :P 

You just listed out the reasons why I wanted to do something really simple. I think I managed a plan that is still pretty simple, but covers the basic things I want to work on. Well, some of the math is a little tricky, but that's what spreadsheets are for.

2 hours ago, Aeri-sand said:

@zeroh13 The way I've managed to include "complex" tasks into my simple challenge spreadsheet, is by only tracking done/not-done. I'll know if I did well. If I didn't quite get the whole thing done it will be an automatic not-done, unless that task isn't high priority and doing sort of ok is fine (which is what kept me sane the last two challenges).

Tracking done/not done hasn't been working very well for me, so this time I want to move towards grading based on effort.

In my case, it's not that any one task is complex per se, it's more that a lot of little things make it complex. And I have a lot of ideas for things, so it's hard picking just a few of them.

Well, I guess the food tracking system I put together is a tad complex. But the execution of it should be simple. Input portions I've eaten, and it'll spit out a grade for me. And I'm starting small, which should help.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zeroh13 said:

Tracking done/not done hasn't been working very well for me, so this time I want to move towards grading based on effort.

In my case, it's not that any one task is complex per se, it's more that a lot of little things make it complex. And I have a lot of ideas for things, so it's hard picking just a few of them.

Well, I guess the food tracking system I put together is a tad complex. But the execution of it should be simple. Input portions I've eaten, and it'll spit out a grade for me. And I'm starting small, which should help.

Ahhh, ok. I used to use grades, but it didn't work for me >,< I ended up feeling overwhelmed by having to remember exactly what I'd done or grading it, or I'd just end up doing a lame effort because I could still "pass". 

Knowing that each of us is a unique world, hopefully it'll work a lot better for you :) Good luck!

• Like 2

Yeah, I feel like I've tried a whole different bunch of methods, points, grades, weird systems, no systems...and this challenge even is a new one all together. I guess that's one of the things that makes the challenges so useful, the ability to change and adapt our methods to explore what works best for us. Even when one system feels like a fail, it's really no, since it's showing us something new about what we need to help ourselves :D 

• Like 2

Weekend reading: Here is an excellent read on taking steps to repair a broken metabolism.

This is the same process I've been working with the past half year or so. Coming from a world that is always telling us to eat less and cardio more, it's no surprise that sometimes when we think we're doing the right thing, we might be causing our bodies harm by not providing it the fuel and care it needs. Less is not necessarily more when it comes to nutrition, and if you've struggled with plateaus on severely restricted calorie deficits, this might be something worth looking in to! 

Thanks much to @sarakingdom for the link :D 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Weekend reading: Here is an excellent read on taking steps to repair a broken metabolism.

This is the same process I've been working with the past half year or so. Coming from a world that is always telling us to eat less and cardio more, it's no surprise that sometimes when we think we're doing the right thing, we might be causing our bodies harm by not providing it the fuel and care it needs. Less is not necessarily more when it comes to nutrition, and if you've struggled with plateaus on severely restricted calorie deficits, this might be something worth looking in to! 

Thanks much to @sarakingdom for the link :D 

Awesome, I'll definitely look into it! Thank you!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aerisand said:

Awesome, I'll definitely look into it! Thank you!

it's been great for me! A bit of a head trip struggle at times, but I have so much more energy and the mental fog is gone :D We'll see what it does for my lifting once I start getting back to working weight LOL

• Like 2

Ok so, I've noticed a few recent issues for the past two weeks or so.

I haven't been eating much, haven't been planning meals so not buying enough food either.

When I have eaten a more healthy amount is when I've been invited to eat from other people's food, and apparently when I've done that it feels like I shouldn't be eating it.

But I, rationally, know I should eat more.

If I try to take a look at all this from outside it looks like maybe I'm sad or withdrawn or both. I'm pretty sure it's not all the time, but it must be taking enough of the day to be impacting my habits like this.

Now, here's where a call to action (my usual to-do list) should be but I'm not sure what exactly just yet. So... could say I'm just putting this out there for the time being.

Oh. Also, I've accidentally started a process of getting in touch with inner issues I clearly haven't vented enough. I thought these were smaller and old enough to not matter anymore, but I must've been wrong. For an added challenge difficulty, hahah.

4 minutes ago, Aerisand said:

Ok so, I've noticed a few recent issues for the past two weeks or so.

I haven't been eating much, haven't been planning meals so not buying enough food either.

When I have eaten a more healthy amount is when I've been invited to eat from other people's food, and apparently when I've done that it feels like I shouldn't be eating it.

But I, rationally, know I should eat more.

If I try to take a look at all this from outside it looks like maybe I'm sad or withdrawn or both. I'm pretty sure it's not all the time, but it must be taking enough of the day to be impacting my habits like this.

Do you think you're on a low swing emotionally? Sometimes being able to acknowledge it, (not just from someone else looking in), can be a big help in getting us moving past it...

>ALL BIG HUGGGSSSSS<

Now, here's where a call to action (my usual to-do list) should be but I'm not sure what exactly just yet. So... could say I'm just putting this out there for the time being.

I hear that re: social side of things. Is it like there's a social obligation? Or pressure maybe? In any case, it's probably important to be able to do it on your own, for yourself because you know it's better for you!

Calls to action could include exactly what you know you're not doing, meal planning and buying enough groceries. I've had some trouble with this myself (I'm sure you know I'm going through the same process ;)) but have found that I'm most successful when I'm excited about the foods I'm preparing. Bulk meal prep doesn't work for me unless it's a meal I actually like eating over and over again! And sometimes I just don't have the energy to care... so I do casseroles or one dish things that I know I will eat and isn't a hassle to make.

Ultimately though, I think habit building is a big part of it. Eat because it's time to eat, because you have to... a priority in the day because it provides the energy to do all the other stuff in the day... and then after some time it gets more and more regular and normal and just happens. When I really struggle with making it happen I give myself a huge pass on what kind of things I'll eat. If it's a choice between nothing and pizza I take the pizza :P At least until I'm in a better routine... Eat when it's time to eat, whether you're "hungry" or not. I dunno, just some thoughts for you!

Oh. Also, I've accidentally started a process of getting in touch with inner issues I clearly haven't vented enough. I thought these were smaller and old enough to not matter anymore, but I must've been wrong. For an added challenge difficulty, hahah.

It seems that no matter how old I am, I'm always battling the issues that first came up for me as a teenager. I don't think there's anything odd about that, those are the years we start to become very aware of our thoughts and needs, and truly, all those important core ideas were developed when we were even younger than that! I think as we get older we probably just need to look at those things with the new perspectives we get from different experiences... if anything I would venture to say that it can be a mistake to not revisit some of those things as we go! At least if the need arises anyway, so I'd say go for it, if that's where your process is taking you! If it's something you can do it'll probably give you new strength on the other side! <3 

(Also I think I juuuuust missed you on IRC :P Saw you as you were leaving! :( Boooo)

• Like 1

@~RedStone~ HUGS!!! And thank you for the awesome reply!

As a...., an active response to this thread I will go eat something nice right now, and will thoroughly reply to your reply later today. <3

No worries about IRC, was about to start a period of focused work and I shouldn't have opened it at that time, lol.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2016 at 1:28 PM, ~RedStone~ said:

Do you think you're on a low swing emotionally? Sometimes being able to acknowledge it, (not just from someone else looking in), can be a big help in getting us moving past it...

Probably, though I'd say it feels like more a rollercoaster than it usually does. 

I hear that re: social side of things. Is it like there's a social obligation? Or pressure maybe? In any case, it's probably important to be able to do it on your own, for yourself because you know it's better for you!

I didn't quite understand this :huh:

Calls to action could include exactly what you know you're not doing, meal planning and buying enough groceries. I've had some trouble with this myself (I'm sure you know I'm going through the same process ;)) but have found that I'm most successful when I'm excited about the foods I'm preparing. Bulk meal prep doesn't work for me unless it's a meal I actually like eating over and over again! And sometimes I just don't have the energy to care... so I do casseroles or one dish things that I know I will eat and isn't a hassle to make.

Ultimately though, I think habit building is a big part of it. Eat because it's time to eat, because you have to... a priority in the day because it provides the energy to do all the other stuff in the day... and then after some time it gets more and more regular and normal and just happens. When I really struggle with making it happen I give myself a huge pass on what kind of things I'll eat. If it's a choice between nothing and pizza I take the pizza :P At least until I'm in a better routine... Eat when it's time to eat, whether you're "hungry" or not. I dunno, just some thoughts for you!

Hmmm, ok, what I know I'm not doing should do (lol).

I think I do have the habit of eating on time instead of on hunger, some family members laugh about me going "It's time to eat", and they ask "are you hungry already?", and I say something like "hum, I'm not sure, but it's time D: "

Then again, I haven't been very excited about meal time these days, so making it something special like you said, might work.

It seems that no matter how old I am, I'm always battling the issues that first came up for me as a teenager. I don't think there's anything odd about that, those are the years we start to become very aware of our thoughts and needs, and truly, all those important core ideas were developed when we were even younger than that! I think as we get older we probably just need to look at those things with the new perspectives we get from different experiences... if anything I would venture to say that it can be a mistake to not revisit some of those things as we go! At least if the need arises anyway, so I'd say go for it, if that's where your process is taking you! If it's something you can do it'll probably give you new strength on the other side! <3 

Thinks to self "Was I a teenager?... right, I was :o "

I'll be writing some more; writing stories and such. I don't think I'm up for writing thoughts on that, like I used to, unless they're incredibly vague :P

Ahhhh... the arts of expression.

On 11/6/2016 at 9:39 PM, Aerisand said:

Probably, though I'd say it feels like more a rollercoaster than it usually does. 

OH HUGGS <3 Oh my gosh, I am SO sorry for the delay, I keep getting unfollowed from stuff! GAH I hate this feeling, but I'd wager it means you're on to something new... usually when it's just down down down or only up up up there's less change happening... Sounds like you're aware of it and don't like it... only one way to go from here... 

I didn't quite understand this :huh:

I guess what I mean is that you seem to be aware of when other people notice certain behaviors... and maybe do things to appease them (or shut them up :P). It's useful to have triggers like that, but I guess I'm driving at the idea of wanting (or knowing we have to) do these things for ourselves.

Hmmm, ok, what I know I'm not doing should do (lol).

I think I do have the habit of eating on time instead of on hunger, some family members laugh about me going "It's time to eat", and they ask "are you hungry already?", and I say something like "hum, I'm not sure, but it's time D: "

Then again, I haven't been very excited about meal time these days, so making it something special like you said, might work.

I don't think there's anything wrong with going by time, so long as you're actually getting what you need on the regular! Getting excited about it is another story altogether... but yeah, stuff you like goes a long way :D (Today has been rough.. I had 2 emergency mac and cheese cups to meet my needs. Not ideal, but better than the alternative!)

Thinks to self "Was I a teenager?... right, I was :o "

I'll be writing some more; writing stories and such. I don't think I'm up for writing thoughts on that, like I used to, unless they're incredibly vague :P

Ahhhh... the arts of expression.

I think you know how much I enjoy your creativity! It's always a pleasure to red your stuff if you ever feel like sharing ;) 

All my <3 <3 <3s!!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

only one way to go from here... 

Damn right! ...Ah yes, had a good couple of days.

but I guess I'm driving at the idea of wanting (or knowing we have to) do these things for ourselves.

Ohhh,

/nods

emergency mac and cheese cups

Never thought I'd see those words in the same sentence :P 

It's always a pleasure to red your stuff if you ever feel like sharing

:D tagged you back in my thread, thank you!

------------------------------------------------------

Hope you guys are doing well  :x

/hides

I'm a noob and I've never been officially diagnosed but I have some serious self hate that is getting in the way of my weight loss goals. I went from my dad forcing me to overeat- to living a healthy lifestyle with my mom- to adopting my husband's life of take out and no exercise.

I've cycled between only eating when I'm being watched and eating everything in the house. I usually start bingeing when I decide I want to lose weight and if I tell my husband he brings home all kinds of junk food and wants nothing but fast food.

I really want to stop the cycle and live a healthy life to be a good example for my kids.

8 hours ago, BlindMarbles said:

I'm a noob and I've never been officially diagnosed but I have some serious self hate that is getting in the way of my weight loss goals. I went from my dad forcing me to overeat- to living a healthy lifestyle with my mom- to adopting my husband's life of take out and no exercise.

I've cycled between only eating when I'm being watched and eating everything in the house. I usually start bingeing when I decide I want to lose weight and if I tell my husband he brings home all kinds of junk food and wants nothing but fast food.

I really want to stop the cycle and live a healthy life to be a good example for my kids.

Hey there! And good on you for sharing! Sometimes that can be really tough. Welcome!

So, having a reliable and supportive network of people is one of the most important factors for sticking with a good health program - and a lot of us don't have that at home unfortunately, I know I don't.

So... cue the NF forums, hooray! We rely on each other here to help stick to our goals and be positive supports, but it also help if you have a really really good reason for doing what you're doing, for wanting to be healthy and for wanting to make changes in your life.  That way, when temptation (like an SO bringing junk food around) stares you in the face you have a great reason for rejecting it.  It's also helpful to have a heart to heart with family about your goals, why you want to do them, and to let them know that we appreciate their help and support, like eating more home cooked meals and keeping less junk around.

So, wanting to be a healthy and positive role model for your kids is a great "why." What steps are you thinking about taking? We're here for when things get tough :) 

Thanks @RedStone

I am transitioning to a Primal diet, started doing the bodyweight workout, elliptical, and yoga twice a week each. I also want to get back into kickboxing and archery.

I think my SO's issue is that when I was fit he felt I was out of his league. Never mind the fact that we asked each other out at the same time and have been together exclusively for 8 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlindMarbles said:

Thanks @RedStone

I am transitioning to a Primal diet, started doing the bodyweight workout, elliptical, and yoga twice a week each. I also want to get back into kickboxing and archery.

Sounds great! And archery... yeah, I'd love to get more involved with that someday!

1 hour ago, BlindMarbles said:

I think my SO's issue is that when I was fit he felt I was out of his league. Never mind the fact that we asked each other out at the same time and have been together exclusively for 8 years.

That's tough. Sounds like an earnest talk may be in order. People who intentionally sabotage our efforts are usually expressing some sort of lack of control or fear, and this is particularly challenging with loved ones. But reminding them of your why, and even just that they have nothing to fear is a very useful day to day tool! And when it comes to family units, setting the tone for quality of food and overall health is a win for everyone. I hope you're able to find a good balance!

WELP, it's that time of year again, and I don't know about you, but I'm already feeling some massive stressors about social time with my family, being away from my workout routine and not being totally in control of my diet. I turned to NEDA (a great organization for eating disorder support) and came across this very helpful article. I hope it's of use to you, and if you are celebrating this week, have a joyful & positive experience!

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/twelve-ideas-help-people-eating-disorders-negotiate-holidays 

• Like 2