• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedStone

Disordered Eating Support

19 minutes ago, julesolson said:

any suggestions as to how to deal with this going forward? 

Yeah, you can pretty much adapt that whole area to fit your needs, no worries :D Honestly, depending on your goals and current recovery plan, you don't have to include that bit at all. Ultimately, with strength work, you just need to be well fueled! And that can look very different for different folks, and the NF guide isn't specifically geared to those of us in ED recovery. (More often it's geared for folks looking to lose.)

The community here in the forums are super supportive and a lot of folks have had experiences that you may be able to relate to and get better ideas from. I've recently been playing around with intuitive eating principals lately, which is super reminiscent of my early ED recovery programs and is working well for me in conjunction with my typical strength work and other activities :) Honestly, I've never felt so happy with myself, def worth a google! 

Feel free to let us know what your goals or big why is (or even DM me) if you'd like more feedback, but the TLDR: being active and building strength and good cardio for health and mental wellness doesn't mean we have to backslide into the evils that the fitness culture tries to spoon feed us. If it's a trigger, ditch it! Throw away the rot when you can. Keep the good :D 

Grats on your recovery and hope to see you around the boards! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, julesolson said:

any suggestions as to how to deal with this going forward? 

Basically, if a diet guide is suggesting that you do something that you think could be a trigger, don't do it. There's more than one way to do things. And it'll take some trial and error to figure out what works (and doesn't) for you.

For me, reminding myself that I'm training to get stronger can help. And I know I need to eat to get stronger. And that high protein foods help, so I try to eat more of those. But I don't make any food off limits. And I don't force myself to eat something I don't like because it's "healthy". (Currently, my only food related goal is to simply eat. I know that trying anything more than that will just backfire.)

• Like 3

/me waves

hi, y'all.  soooo, I used to be incredibly active on here way back when.  then Life happened, as it does.

but in theory, I'm back.  I want to be healthy, strong, and capable.  and my current way of life is not conducive to that.

I finally got a proper eating disorder diagnosis back in February.  and then we had to move back home to Louisiana where mental health care is not considered important in the least.

I'm gonna make an Accountability thread here to try to get myself away from some of the more "less healthy" sites that I've been frequenting.  when I do, I'll post the link here.

I see there hasn't been a post since April 2018.  so maybe no one is still around here.  in which case, oh well.

or maybe someone is.  in which case, hello...?

• Like 1

Hi there,

Still here. Think I posted here some years ago. I was diagnosed with anorexia at 16. I'm based in the UK so healthcare is very different. I'm now 21 and can pretty confidently say that I've been pretty well for the past 2 years. I'm of the belief much like a physical injury recovery is always possible but there will always be a scar. I've learnt to use my ED as a strength and not an illness. Keep safe, here to support,

Much love

P.S. I am not a doctor so please listen to your own doctor first

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PIGGIES_ said:

I'm of the belief much like a physical injury recovery is always possible but there will always be a scar.

so this is really awesome.  I like this analogy a lot.  thank you.

3 hours ago, PIGGIES_ said:

I've learnt to use my ED as a strength and not an illness.

yeah, that's where I want to get.  I have comorbidity with a few things (bipolar, OCD, and PTSD being some of them), and over the years I've learned how to turn them into strengths.  (ex: my OCD helps me make badass spreadsheets and technical manuals.)  I'd like to get there with my ED too.

thanks for replying.  I appreciate it.

So glad this thread is here.  I have a history with bulimia (8-9 years, i guess) which has really gotten in the way of my fitness the past.  And is currently a problem because I'm afraid of relapsing. 

• Sad 1