Rory's Reconnaissance Mission

Rory

I know I'm jumping in to the Challenge a little late, but I'm new here & gotta start somewhere.

Objective 1: My Ultimate Health Goal is to lose 175-200 lbs, at which point I will be in a healthy range for my height, body type, and family history. I'm in pretty good health for someone my size, no high blood pressure or diabetes, I have just begun to develop arthritis in my left knee (at 34 years old). My family has a history of all of these, but it's hard to say if it's because genetics, or because we're all moderately to REALLY REALLY overweight and none of us take care of our physical bodies. I've been lucky so far, but luck runs out eventually & I don't want things to get worse. I can't make them change, but I can change me.

• Walk 10 minutes 3 days a week.
    • I can do ten minutes, the most difficult part will be finding the time & given I don't generally have a ton to do, that shouldn't be too difficult at all.   
  • Keep Daily Food and Water Log faithfully.
    • Even if it's just taking a picture of what I am eating before I eat it. Hopefully, this will also lead me to being more conscious of what I eat.
  • Go to bed at the same time every night Sunday - Thursday.

Objective 2: Next year (2017) I am returning to school to work towards an advanced degree in Physics. I haven't been in a classroom since I dropped out of college 15 years ago.

• At least 2 videos & 1 practice section a day on Khan Academy's math section (I'm currently working through Algebra 1.)

Objective 3: Nanowrimo is coming up way too soon. I've discovered over the last few years that just pantsing it doesn't work for me anymore, I need a plan.

• Spend 15 minutes a day planning (outlining, character building, world building, hitting my head against the wall when I find plotholes, etc...)

Moira "Rory" Taye :: wandering half-elf :: Why Am I Doing This? 

Rory's Reconnaissance Missions (Challenges) - 1 - Current -
~~~~

"There will always be someone better than you. But on the bright side - who cares?"

Hey there! Welcome to NF and the forums! I'd like to think we're a fun bunch, so I hope you hang around. :D

Those are excellent starting goals for working toward your health. If you can make some of those consistent habits, the benefits pile up quickly.

Out of curiosity, have you checked out the Rebel Guild challenge page? There's a lot of other folks over there working on their first challenges and tackling similar goals, so that'd be an excellent place to make friends.

Also, kudos for NaNoWriMo. I've always liked the idea of doing that.

Level 6 Demon Hunter, Novice Troubadour

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

"I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."

I was going to come in & complain how I've been mostly unsuccessful so far in this challenge & blame it on the fact that the computers at my work melted down - almost literally - a week ago (actually, the day after I posted the original post) & we're just now getting caught up, but looking over everything:

• I've missed one day (the first Saturday) at the start, but otherwise, nope, done good. Not so thrilled with what's IN it, but that's not the point yet.
    • Successful at this, too.
  • Spend 15 minutes a day planning (outlining, character building, world building, hitting my head against the wall when I find plotholes, etc...)
    • This varies, some days it's 10 minutes, some I get lost into working for a good hour, so evens out? I'm getting a little excited about the idea I had, impatient for Nano now.
  • At least 2 videos & 1 practice section a day on Khan Academy's math section (I'm currently working through Algebra 1.)
    • One video. Most days. 
    • This is the one I haven't done, so far. 

I'm trying to focus on what I've been successful at & thinking that maybe I just bit off more than I could chew at this moment in time...

• Like 1

~~~~

"There will always be someone better than you. But on the bright side - who cares?"

• Yesterday, I noticed myself automatically reaching for my notebook that I was keeping my log in when I sat down to eat. Habit, YAY!
    • I have been, because I am finding myself very tired around the time that I'm supposed to be going to bed. Even on the weekends!
    • I wrote 5000 words this week on a project that is not related exactly to my Nano project. I have a lot of random fanfiction scenes and story ideas that I never write because they're not something I want to share, But someone made a joke about only being able to hold so much in your head at one time and my brain was like: if you get that stuff out of your head and onto a computer you'll have more room for NEW stuff. Plus, it turns out, I enjoy writing it.
  • At least 2 videos & 1 practice section a day on Khan Academy's math section (I'm currently working through Algebra 1.)
    • Pretty much gave up entirely. I normally do computer stuff at work, but I'm training the new person & just don't have the time there, plus, I've gotten to a section that I'm just..."wha?" most of the time... so confusion leads to anxiety, anxiety leads to procrastination, procrastination leads to marathoning Leverage on Netflix.
    • Still, not so much, or at all. I think I might have figured out what the problem is: I don't want to go outside or to the gym to walk for 10 minutes. Would walking around my house for 10 minutes count? I don't know why not. 

Still, I'm going to count it as mostly a success, but I plan to do better next challenge.

~~~~