A Challenger Appears! (Krebsicle Battle Log: The Rematch)

Hi friends,

It's basically been two years since I've been on the forums... kind of fell off the wagon (not with fitness quite as much as with posting, but there's been some of both) what with college graduation, moving to a new city, starting an Adult Job (sort of), commuting, and trying to find a new routine...

But anyway, after being in New York for just over a year now, I finally feel like I'm getting back into the swing of things. Unfortunately, I had to choose between my rock climbing gym that I loved and the boxing/mma gym I joined a few months ago because of cost (I chose boxing), but since the boxing gym is much closer to my apartment, I've been able to go 2-3 times a week consistently, which has meant that I've more consistently been in a better mood since I get incredibly cranky when I don't exercise. I also finally feel like I'm starting to get to know some of my fellow gym-mates (idk what else to call them really) and trainers, which makes me more motivated to go.

Some trouble I have been having is with cooking. Mainly that I don't make a ton of time for it, especially since I'm most often cooking for just me. Breakfasts are pretty easy, but for some lunches I've just been doing Soylent, and for dinners I often lean probably too heavily on Trader Joe's frozen Indian dinners. I'm hoping to get some meal prep containers in the near future to convince myself to cook healthy meals for the week in advance, so we'll see if that helps. It'll also save me some money if I manage to do it consistently, which would be great.

Other than that, I've been playing lots of Overwatch, Stardew Valley, and Crypt of the Necrodancer!

Hoping to post in this thread fairly regularly - see you all around!

• Like 1

Shorn - Level 1 Shadar-Kai

STR - 3 DEX - 1 STA - 2 CON - 2 WIS - 2 CHA - 2 

Current Challenge: N/A  

Daily Battle Log

--------------------------------

"You're faster than this -- don't think you are, know you are." ~Morpheus, The Matrix

Gary was here! Ash is a loser!

Made it to a second thread post finally - plenty of good to report, with still (as always) more things to work on.

I finally made it to Target to buy microwave-safe Tupperware so I can cook my meals in advance, which actually was a big help this week. On Sunday, I made enough veggie-tofu stir fry to last me through lunches for the week. Not the most exciting cooking endeavor since it was basically just "make rice and throw every vegetable from the fridge in a pan," but it got the job done.

So far I've boxed once and lifted once this week. Boxing seems to be getting easier as I go along and as my body slowly gets used to cardio again. My shoulder stabilizers are also taking their sweet time to adjust since they probably never fully healed from all their old injuries from climbing/lifting/rugby. I'm enjoying it a lot, though, especially now that I feel like I actually know people in the gym. I'm hoping in the next couple months to add MMA classes into the mix since I've always wanted to try them.

With grad school apps looming closer and closer, I feel like it's really important that I keep going to the gym regularly, because otherwise my anxiety starts acting up like crazy. And the weirdest thing about my anxiety is that it never really manifests in me feeling consciously anxious; instead, it shows up as various psychosomatic symptoms like headaches or chest pain or jitters. Always an adventure, I guess. 

Planning to post again later this weekend - I've currently scheduled myself to work on applications on Saturday morning and Sunday, and I always box Saturdays at noon. I also have a couple dogs to walk this weekend, so that'll be a nice break as well as some good supplemental $. Maybe I'll manage to get some social time in as well!

Daily Battle Log

"You're faster than this -- don't think you are, know you are." ~Morpheus, The Matrix

It's Sunday at noon and I'm eating breakfast of steel cut oats + peanut butter and a cup of coffee with 2% milk. This isn't entirely a bad thing since I've finally been catching up on sleep, which I've been sorely lacking for the past too many days.

Yesterday, I didn't do too much in the morning - I worked on grad school stuff a little bit, but that's mostly happening today instead. I spent a lot of the early afternoon being nervous about walking this random person's dog (I'm just starting as a pro dog walker as my side gig, and really wanted to do a good job/am always nervous at first when being responsible for someone's pet for the first time). The walk went fine once I got into the apartment and found the harness, so hopefully things will go smoothly next time as well. Then I went to a friend's apartment to watch Game of Thrones - he's never watched the series before, so we're watching the whole thing through. We just finished season 3 yesterday.

So, today needs to be a productive day - I'm going to intersperse grad school stuff with cleaning and meal prep, and I'm hoping to clear enough space in my apartment to do a little bit of bodyweight work - If I do, I will post about it here. My real goal is to make enough space to practice jumping rope in here since we always have to do it as a boxing warm-up and I am: terrible at it since I haven't jumped rope since elementary school. I'm not sure if there's any way to clear up that much space though... My room is really small so I feel like the rope is gonna hit a wall no matter what I do.

Daily Battle Log

How do you stay on track with fitness/eating when life gets crazy? I've been applying to graduate programs for the past month, and every time I've gone out to do something that's not working on applications, I felt guilty, so I end up doing nothing. Ordinarily I would go box to help with the stress, but I haven't been for a few weeks at least.

The good part is that application season is almost over, so I'm telling myself I'll get back to working out "soon," but I don't want to make a habit of falling off the workout wagon whenever things get stressful in my life...

Daily Battle Log