So...I'd like to add some MRT into my Stronglifts rotation to pick up the cutting/fat loss pace. Problem is, I don't know what I can do without impairing recovery on my off days or going too far on my lifting days. Thoughts? Probably best to do any MRT on my lifting days, but since Stronglifts is whole body...you see where I'm going with this?

Shrilaraune

Assassin + Monk + Druid= Sage | Level 4

|| STR 8 || DEX 6 || STA 7 || CON 7 || WIS 10 || CHA 1 ||

"The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place.

Those who step over the line are heroes by the very act. Go." - Henry Rollins

|| My Story || Battle Log || Epic Quest ||

|| Challenges: Current4, 32, 1 ||

Affiliations:

|| Coming || Soon||

"Don't hate your body. It's just trying to keep you alive." - Starsapart

Hahah, no, no, never. I'm too used to eating all the things for Meal Replacement therapy. My goodness how ominous that sounds. Yeah, I mean Metabolic Resistance training, which is HIIT (I think? But maybe a specific kind of HIIT? Like, HIIT with a dose of str training?).

Shrilaraune

Affiliations:

|| Coming || Soon||

Well, HIIT is more of a technique than any specific exercise set.  I'm sure crossfit WODs often resemble a mixture of weightlifting and HIIT.  Jordan Feigenbaum, who I find to be a pretty interesting read, recommends HIIT on rest days (reference: http://www.barbellmedicine.com/potpourri/584/).  His approach is using a rowing machine which seem dissimilar to the MRT routines you're looking at.  However, any movement you can do a bunch of reps of without much or any rest between cycling is going to be kind of similar in effect.  It creates a high demand on your system for a sustained time period (the length of the interval).  I think the only difference would be any toning action you get on the specific muscles used and the range of intensities that are possible.

I can't answer your question specifically other than to say unless you are trying to compete in powerlifting at high level, any interference between interval training and lifting is probably going to be fairly small.  And if your goal isn't focused solely around getting your squat to Xlbs, the additional exercise volume should produce positive net effects. 

• Like 1

Intro

Challenges: #1#2#3#4, #5

I've done the strong lifts program and added in stair running or some small cardio sessions with it before. But I based it on how I was feeling per each day; if I was dragging that week I wouldn't if I was peppy I would. HIIT would probably fit in nicely, It's just a matter of finding something that works for you.

I'd say your best bet is to go ahead and try adding in on your workout days after you finish your lifts and listen to your body/scale appropriately, that way if you do start failing/fatiguing it isn't on your lifts. There's some guess and check involved with anything new. Similarly you could try doing some HIIT stuff on your rest days and see if it impacts your lifts from there. 

• Like 1

"You only regret the workouts you don't do."

Thanks guys! Maybe I was just overthinking it? I threw in an interval run after a set and it seemed fine. Then again, I ended up having to do three stronglift workouts in a row with out rest days to keep to my 3x per week challenge...so maybe ill advised? I'm definitely sore...

• Like 1

Shrilaraune

Affiliations:

|| Coming || Soon||

Do have at least one rest day in between stronglift workouts. Do not do two SL workouts in a row. Use the rest day to do some cardio. Long, slow, steady state would be preferred, but you could also try HIIT. If HIIT cuts into your recovery, drop it.

Rowing, rucking, running, lifting heavy stuff. Why not do it all?

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes!

Shrilaraune

Affiliations:

|| Coming || Soon||