Jump to content

stressed out by an untimely injury


Recommended Posts

Hello all,

 

I have my second ever half marathon coming up in a week and a half (Sept 25), and another one 2 weeks after that, so right now I'm supposed to be at the peak of my training program. Unfortunately when I was in the middle of my 12 mile long run last weekend (at about mile 5 or 6), a small but consistent pain started building up in my knee. When training for my first half marathon a few months ago, it was common for me to accumulate a small share of bumps of bruises that (thankfully) went away overnight, so I didn't give it much thought. This time however, the pain just seemed to steadily grow and become more and more unbearable, to the point where I decided I would just have to quit early at mile 10. Yet somehow when I sped up to get it over with, the pain receded enough, and I was able to just go for the original intended 12. 

 

To allow myself to rest and heal from whatever that was, I didn't run again for another week (Saturday to Friday), and then let myself slowly ease back into running by first doing 3 miles, and then 5, and then another long run this past Monday. At the advice of a friend, I even did a warm up and stretched before my most recent long run, and yet around 5 miles again, the pain came back... Somehow it died down enough for me to do 14 miles (a new personal distance record btw), but now it's 2 days later and my knee still hurts. 

 

I don't know what could have caused this. I didn't sustain any kind of obvious injury that I'm aware of, and haven't added anything new or intense to my training, other than returning to strength training (Strong Lifts 5x5) after a long hiatus (but I've been doing that for a few weeks now, and have been taking it SUPER slow, so I doubt that could be the problem).

 

I have the Chicago half marathon coming up in about 1 week, and I've been looking forward to it for months (and put down a lot of money for hotel and flight), so this mystery injury has come at a really crappy time. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I don't want to not run at all, because that could be a really bad idea with a week and change left until race day. But I'm also worried that any runs I do will worsen whatever this injury even is. And with about a week left, I don't have time to go through the circus hoops that a doctor would put me through, because that would involve making an appointment to see my primary doctor, him telling me to see a specialist on another date, the specialist telling me to take an x ray on another date.. etc (I've been down this long, time consuming road before).

 

What can I do? Should I stop running? Should I keep running, but just with pain meds? I don't know what my options are, and having this issue so close to my first big race I'm traveling for is really stressful. 

Link to comment

Running through discomfort is ok. Running through pain is not. It's how so many runners get worse injuries. It's a hard pill to swallow but you need to identify what's wrong and deal with it. If it means missing races, so be it. Been there, done that. Take care of your legs/knees. They are the tools of your trade,

 

Where in the knee is the pain? Center, under the kneecap? Outside? Inside? Above, etc.

  • Like 1

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

 

Link to comment
On 9/16/2016 at 6:51 AM, Dilnad said:

Running through discomfort is ok. Running through pain is not. It's how so many runners get worse injuries. It's a hard pill to swallow but you need to identify what's wrong and deal with it. If it means missing races, so be it. Been there, done that. Take care of your legs/knees. They are the tools of your trade,

 

Where in the knee is the pain? Center, under the kneecap? Outside? Inside? Above, etc.

 

It's kind of hard to tell.. I guess I would say under the kneecap/center in general, although in the last few days I've noticed it seems to be more on the left side of the left knee cap. But it doesn't extend up into the thigh or anything, it's just specifically in the knee. 

 

I tried to look up some remedies, and bought KT tape as well as a knee strap, but unfortunately neither seems to be completely perfect. I'm most likely looking at having to run my half marathon this weekend on pain meds, right?

Link to comment
2 hours ago, solarnova said:
 

It's kind of hard to tell.. I guess I would say under the kneecap/center in general, although in the last few days I've noticed it seems to be more on the left side of the left knee cap. But it doesn't extend up into the thigh or anything, it's just specifically in the knee. 

 

I tried to look up some remedies, and bought KT tape as well as a knee strap, but unfortunately neither seems to be completely perfect. I'm most likely looking at having to run my half marathon this weekend on pain meds, right?

Tape is nice but doesn't solve problems. It's a bandaid.

 

If I had to take a guess, I'd say Patellofemoral Pain syndrome aka Runners Knee. I'd see if you can get in to see a physical therapist or a sports orthopedist.

 

It's not a permanent injury (if that's what it is). Just bruised cartilage

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

 

Link to comment
5 hours ago, Dilnad said:

Tape is nice but doesn't solve problems. It's a bandaid.

 

If I had to take a guess, I'd say Patellofemoral Pain syndrome aka Runners Knee. I'd see if you can get in to see a physical therapist or a sports orthopedist.

 

It's not a permanent injury (if that's what it is). Just bruised cartilage

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

 

Yeah bruised cartilage sounds like a pretty good guess- it certainly feels like that could be the issue.

 

Any suggestions on how to make the most of this half marathon I have coming up on Sunday? I did a 5 mile run yesterday night, and paid the price by pretty much speed-limping the last half-quarter mile, am (very reluctantly) skipping my squats today, and am only planning to do one more 2 mile run on Friday morning. 

Link to comment

Alright, so I was thankfully able to run the Chicago half marathon in 2 hours and 1 minute, which is 6 minutes slower than my time for my first ever half back in May. My knee did start hurting again at mile 3, but thankfully it subsided enough for me to eventually run with relative ease for the remainder of the race. I should also probably mention that I only got 3 hours of sleep the night before, so all things considered I'm grateful. 

 

Now in hopes of not having any more of this knee pain for my second half marathon coming up this weekend, I decided to give my knee what it wants and cut out all runs (except for a short 2-3 mile 2 days prior). I'm really anxious and uncomfortable with the idea of letting 2 entire weeks go by with no runs between half marathons, but it's all in hopes that I can do the race this weekend without this dang persistent knee trouble.. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines