• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DrVornoff

Where to Learn Drunken Boxing

I've been fascinated by drunken boxing, drunken monkey, and the other similar styles for some time, but finding anywhere to teach it has proven tough.  Spending the money to go to China is out of the question so long as I'm still saddled with student debt.  What other resources do you guys know of?  Are there any practitioners out there who could give me some coaching and basics through video chat maybe?

From my short experience, Drunken isn't normally taught as a style, but is usually a subset of forms.  In our school it is taught as a higher level form in contemporary wushu, and hung gar\hung kuen (maybe the very high shaolin levels, but not sure).  I would suggest looking around for wushu and Southern kung fu schools and see if they teach any drunken forms.

When I was a kid I attended a kung-fu school that's still around.  They taught Shaolin and Eagle Claw, though it's worth asking.  If at least to see if they know someone I can get in touch with.

I did hung kuen for years and I don't remember there being any drunken forms to be honest. I don't think I've ever encountered a school that teaches it as a style, though as JBurns08 said above, some schools teach it as a set of forms. I get the impression it's pretty rare to find, even in China. Though I'll stand to correction on that. Your far more likely to find Hung Gar and Shaolin schools. But it wouldn't hurt to contact local schools and see if they know of anyone that teaches it.

As an aside, any kung fu with monkey as an animal may be worth looking into. I've had a little experience with it, and it's got a lot of the elements that make drunken styles popular. The swaying, rolling motions and all the twists and turns.

But in short I think you'll have the same problem I've had trying to find Mandarin Duck Style, some things are just rare and hard to find. But keep looking :D

I checked in with my old Shaolin school and they do indeed offer private lessons in the basics of drunken boxing to their adult black belts.  I'll have to re-earn mine but now I know where I can learn it.

• Like 2